Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedging advice please

Options
  • 04-01-2012 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

I need to plant a strong hedge that will last through the winters, stay green and leafy, grow to about 6 foot tall or over and grow fairly low to the ground. It needs to be as cheap as possible as I need about 60ft of walls covered.
    This hedge is to keep prowlers from coming over the back wall and to act as a wind breaker as we have wood panels along the side boundries of the garden and these blow down in a storm.
    The soil is not great, its raised a couple of inches above the rest of the garden and has lots of stones in it. The ground stays fairly wet most of the year round unless we get a good long dry spell.
    I dont know much about gardening but would I get something fast growing or already 3 or 4 feet tall thats fairly cheap ? I would like to pland in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

You could think about bareroot Green Privet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

For security, i'd go thorny to be honest. Some of the cypresses will grow quick (too quick in some cases), and are evergreen, but they won't really stop someone coming through them.

Pyracantha is evergreen and very thorny, flowers and has berries. Not sure how cheap it is though. If it didn't have to be evergreen, I'd say whitethorn (hawthorn), and it would probably be the cheapest. However, to get it from the ground up, you'll have to cut it low to start with, or learn about laying a hedge in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭deltakilo

I don't know a lot about gardening but we planted bare root laurel about two years ago. Only about 5 of 300 died during the cold spell last winter. Most of my family and friends had lots of different hedges and none of them survived like this. So it seems to be a good option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You can get Holly bare root. Everygreen, dense, good barrier to prowlers. Native (so is frost hardy and likes irish conditions). Has berries in winter.

Only thing is it is slow growing, so you pay for the years it has already been growing. You would be probably be talking 3 euro minimum a plant depending on the size. Might be able to get very small ones cheaper.

If you wanted something more decorative, a rose hedging can be amazing. Cheaper, any thorny. Scented and flowers of course. Will only get to about 4 foot though.

Advertisement