Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Posting or e-mailing

• 04-01-2012 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭

I was thinking of sending CV to few places, I know they may not have any positions but I always believe if your not in you can't win

here's the thing, should I e-mail them or sent Cover letter and CV via post?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Sending ' hard copy ' by post is certainly more hassle and expense for you but e-mails are all too easy to disregard , chance of a reply may be better with ' snail mail '.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

You could send it by post if you can find out any names of the HR people(google company/linkedin etc) and then follow it up a few days later with an email stating that you sent the CV and make sure they got it.

Seems like a bit of hassle, but I would imagine most are getting 100s of email and something sent by post addressed to them personally might grab their attention a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

You could send it by post if you can find out any names of the HR people(google company/linkedin etc) and then follow it up a few days later with an email stating that you sent the CV and make sure they got it.

Seems like a bit of hassle, but I would imagine most are getting 100s of email and something sent by post addressed to them personally might grab their attention a bit more.

Agree completely. If you want to be guaranteed that a person is going to view your CV then post is the way to do it. Before doing so though you need to make sure you have the name of the exact hiring manager / decision maker- Linkedin is invaluable for this for bigger companies. With smaller ones often a phone call to reception stating you want to send a CV for a job and want to know who to address it to will yield you the name.

When approaching a company who are not officially hiring then it is extremely important that your CV and especially your cover letter are very very strong. You're going to have to convince a hiring manager that they need you in such a way that they then go and persuade the finance director to open the purse strings.

You basically need to be shouting out to them 'You need me as I'm going to contribute a lot to your company objectives and bottom line, lets start a conversation and I'll demonstrate how'.

Even if it doesn't come off for you make sure you leave an impression so that when they are hiring the manager thinks of picking up the phone to you.

Advertisement