Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Internet hangs once an hour - Solved

• 04-01-2012 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

I have UPC internet with the infamous CISCO modem. Every time the modem is powered down it reverts to factory settings one of which is to renew the IP address of connected computers once every hour. For some reason this actually shuts down the local network for about a minute once an hour causing web browsers to freeze and games to hang.

The first few times I rang UPC and they fixed it for me but the fix is actually very simple to do yourself so for the sake of anyone experiencing similar internet drop outs once every hour here is the fix:

Use a Web Browser to log into your Cisco Modem: address http://192.168.1.1/
    Go to the settings page
    Under Basic Settings go to Lan IP Address management
    Lease time is in seconds and it defaults to 3600 (1 hour). Change it to a big number
    Press apply and enjoy uninterrupted internet.

You may need to redo this after a power interruption.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I had that issue before.

ring upc and straightaway ask for a tier 2 techie.... tier 1 techies cannot fix it due to lack of proper roles....

when u get put onto a tier 2 techie ask him/her to force a firmware upgrade on your cisco router.... this should fix the reseting bug the original firmware had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Interesting to know that the problem can be removed with a firmware upgrade.

Apologies in advance about going off topic in my own thread but do you happen to know if the firmware upgrade does anything about the crappy wifi performance of this cisco modem router?

Advertisement