Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 Home button not working

• 04-01-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I woke up last night at 4am to hear my iPhone voice control going a bit crazy. It was plugged in and charging away.

This morning the Home button on my phone is no longer working - AT ALL. Typical that my warranty is only out by a few days :mad:

Is there anything I can do about this? I have cleaned out the charging port of dust and the head phone port is clear.

Never been dropped and it's in good condition. Running IOS 5.01

Thanks for any advice or suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Open one of the stock apps and hold the power button until slide to power off appears but don't slide. Press and hold the home button until it returns to the home screen. Stock apps are the like of weather, camera or maps etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

guil wrote: »
    Open one of the stock apps and hold the power button until slide to power off appears but don't slide. Press and hold the home button until it returns to the home screen. Stock apps are the like of weather, camera or maps etc

Thanks but doesn't work :(

Apple - such a rip off company. I'm 5 days out of the hardware warranty and they want to charge me to get it fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Bummer have you tried holding the button and making circular motions on it. Mine gets stuck when my 4 year old plays games on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Try and do a full restore from iTunes before you pay for anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

It happens all iphone4's sooner or later, how much are Apple looking for to repair if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Turn the phone off. Put 2 drops of vodka on the button and press it repeatedly until the vodka evaporates. Turn the phone back on and it will work.

guil wrote: »
    Bummer have you tried holding the button and making circular motions on it. Mine gets stuck when my 4 year old plays games on it

Yeah I tried that but nothing I'm afraid.
    Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Try and do a full restore from iTunes before you pay for anything!

Pretty sure it's hardware as the Home button will bring it out of Standby if it's a Software issue (or so Apple says).
    It happens all iphone4's sooner or later, how much are Apple looking for to repair if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah but after a year? I don't use the phone that much and I'd expect such an expensive device to last at least 2-3 years if looked after.

The Apple website says €161 and they also tried to charge me €35 for a "one incident support call". Absolutely unbelievable - the greed is just staggering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

where did you buy the phone

massy086 wrote: »
    where did you buy the phone

I bought it in O2 out in Rathfarnham

Is that €161 the Apple Care plan which will cover any other repairs too for 1 year?

***sorry its not, the care plan is only €69 if you buy at time of purchase :(

• Advertisement

Is that €161 the Apple Care plan which will cover any other repairs too for 1 year?

***sorry its not, the care plan is only €69 if you buy at time of purchase :(

No you can only get the apple care plan while the phone is still under warranty. I did it before with only a few days left on it so not at the time of purchase.

Strangely enough there's an EU law which says all electronic goods must be covered under warranty for at least 2 years, so I don't know how they're getting around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

If you haven't already, try to find proof of purchase as Apple guesstimate a lot of their warranty dates. You may find you still have a couple of weeks left on warranty.

John_Mc wrote: »
    No you can only get the apple care plan while the phone is still under warranty. I did it before with only a few days left on it so not at the time of purchase.

Strangely enough there's an EU law which says all electronic goods must be covered under warranty for at least 2 years, so I don't know how they're getting around it.

try hitting o2 with the sale,s of goods act and tell them if they do not repair it you will see them in the small claims court. its worked for the guys over on the ps3 forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795516
    hope this helps a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

How is the length of time calculated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

This happened to my iPod touch a few weeks back. Was convinced it had to be a hardware issue, but it wasn't. Once I hooked itupto the computer and updated the software, I powered it down and it's been working perfectly since. Unless its been dropped or had something spilled on it, it's probably not the button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 .stranger

Interestingly enough, I have the same issue, but when I went to Spain for couple of weeks, I replaced my O2 SIM with VF Spain, and never had a problem with the home button. Now, I'm back to O2 SIM, and the same problem.
    I have such suspicion this is a software issue, rather than hardware... wondering if O2 sends something other the network which causes the phone not to respond.... :)

avalon68 wrote: »
    Unless its been dropped or had something spilled on it, it's probably not the button.
    Button on the iphone4 is completely different internally than the iPod touch and is a common fault on the iphone4.
    I replace at least 1/week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pedro69

I have the same issue (IPHONE 4 approx 20 months old) and have tried all the suggestions that ye have on here. Thank you for these but noting has worked to date.

I have done a little research and there are a few places that will fix this home button for €50-60 but isn't it cat that you sepend 4-500 on a product that simply can't preform its basic duties 20 months after purchase.

Anyone out there any other ideas or plavce that will fix the home button for less that €60.

Thanks Guys

• Advertisement

pedro69 wrote: »
    I have the same issue (IPHONE 4 approx 20 months old) and have tried all the suggestions that ye have on here. Thank you for these but noting has worked to date.

I have done a little research and there are a few places that will fix this home button for €50-60 but isn't it cat that you sepend 4-500 on a product that simply can't preform its basic duties 20 months after purchase.

Anyone out there any other ideas or plavce that will fix the home button for less that €60.

Thanks Guys
    http://www.adverts.ie/repair-services/iphone-4-4s-3gs-3g-lcd-touch-screen-repair-ipod-touch-1st-2nd-3rd-4th-gen-lcd-screen-repair-ipad-repair-htc-desire-s-wildfire-screen-repair/1304630 this guy is great and a good price too

Advertisement