Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Prospects and Discussion (January + Early Feb 2012)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Agree with MT regarding volatility of the situation. The ECM ensembles are not quite as solid as this morning (but are still reasonably good) and the GFS is not on board really just yet. Let's see if the 18z GFS sheds any more light on the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Did you hear the latest gossip ... :p

Lucreto posted a video in which Mark Vogan says he emailed Joe Bastardi who told him that cold weather is on the way to the UK and Ireland next weekend.

WolfeIRE
    Presenter, Xpose

In other news, GFS starts to roll out at 9.30. Here is the link for anyone who may not have it. Note that it will update very slowly but should be complete by 11pm or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

28th the great blizzard of Ireland except the south east

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just a general comment. If the cold next weekend verifies that's one helluva winter forecast so far by MTC

• Registered Users Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't mind a cold snap..

.. but am flying out to NYC on Feb 2nd.

As long as it doesn't affect that, I'm all for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

only one wrote: »

Nothing new their so :( met eireannn saying temps -3 for south next friday surely thats enough to bring some of the good stuff down ???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

WhoooaH... even a mere mortal (lurker) like myself could not help but enjoy that smirk by EC before going into 8 day charts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭pauldry

yes minus 8 next weekend apparently.

winters coming proper

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭only one

jo06555 wrote: »
    only one wrote: »

Nothing new their so :( met eireannn saying temps -3 for south next friday surely thats enough to bring some of the good stuff down ???????????
    Really? Fingers crossed eh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

There will really be some depressing tone on here in the morning once the ECM falls in line with every other model...:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fully Established

Hi all only new on here ,my question is as follows is Ecmwf model regarded as the most accurate model?Thanks to any replies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

asked and answered already in this thread today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Hi all only new on here ,my question is as follows is Ecmwf model regarded as the most accurate model?Thanks to any replies.

Hi and welcome!. Post #545 here answers your question:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056503572&page=37

At medium range yes. GFS is only marginally less accurate in the 5-10 day time frame though. But I would go with the GFS for anything less than 3 days out. The important thing in this scenario is to look at all the models and see what the general consensus is. At them moment the GFS has most support from other models, unfortunately. Lets see how the 18z GFS turns out...

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Oh i'm taking the 30th - love a good competition

i'm naming it Robbo's Revenge...!

bring...it...on!!!!!!!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fully Established

Darwin ,Beasterly
    Thank you for the timely advice and response.
    Fully Established

Oh i'm taking the 30th - love a good competition
    Done, 2 slots left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Strange how all the excitment builds around a cold spell only for it to be qaushed
    a few models later , i only came back on here after watching evelyn give her 8 day forecast but straight away i feel its a non starter here ... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Met.ie use ECM which would explain Evelyn's ramp forecast tonight (8 days away) which I found strange. I must have heard her say a million times over the years that forecasts are only accurate up to about 5 days.
    I would back the GFS at the moment, I dont think the Azores high will disappear that quickly but I may be wrong. We'll see ??

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Done, 2 slots left.

BEASTERLY'S Easterly Snow for the 27th???:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    There will really be some depressing tone on here in the morning once the ECM falls in line with every other model...:p

Are all the other models against The ECM ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    At medium range yes. GFS is only marginally less accurate in the 5-10 day time frame though. But I would go with the GFS for anything less than 3 days out. The important thing in this scenario is to look at all the models and see what the general consensus is. At them moment the GFS has most support from other models, unfortunately. Lets see how the 18z GFS turns out...

I have to disagree with you Beasterly on that other modules a turning more to ECM. GEFS ensemble member shows the same evolution at the same time frame that the ECM.

JMA backs the ECM.

http://www.meteociel...44-21.GIF?13-12
    http://www.meteociel...68-21.GIF?13-12
    http://www.meteociel...92-21.GIF?13-12

UKMO is sitting on the fence so to speak but have noticed on last run some of the charts have turn in favour of the ECM also look up 12z GEM +144 and 12z NOGAPS.

(if someone could pm me a easy way of posting charts here would be much appriecated)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Really sticking her neck out showing a chart 8 days away! :)

the way she sticks her neck out. respect. not one of her other TV colleagues would do it. regardless of the outcome....respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Done, 2 slots left.
    i'll take what ever is left,"Del's winter-wonder land" ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

:mad::(:mad:

Matthew Hugo @MattHugo81 4m Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Still some interesting ECM ENS clusters but there is a shift towards the GFS solution unfortunately for cold weather fans this evening...

All Blizzard Naming rights allocated now. Day allocated to person and renaming rights remain vested in the person whose day it is.

Full list here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76497837&postcount=567

All Blizzard Naming rights allocated now. Day allocated to person and renaming rights remain vested in the person whose day it is.

Full list here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76497837&postcount=567

What happens if nothing happens ?

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you Beasterly on that other modules a turning more to ECM. GEFS ensemble member shows the same evolution at the same time frame that the ECM.

JMA backs the ECM.

Now look, you've got me all excited! Why couldn't you just leave me be pessimistic! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Originally Posted by 200motels viewpost.gif
    I think we could have missed the boat on this supposedly cold spell. I know the models are all over the place and it's hard to get a grip on things but I don't think we're going to get any major cold spell this winter.

Min wrote: »
    Well it is a boat that I hope is hijacked and kept away from Ireland.

Just for his badness what Min posted. Min-Blizzard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

latest gefs not buying ecmwf cold outlook. Atlantic dominated weather next week into Friday at least

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement