Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Prospects and Discussion (January + Early Feb 2012)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Whats the story with the ECM, bit late to start.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

No Kipp. Up to 120hrs now and showing pretty much identical results to UKMO. Looking good. Still find it difficult to understand the discrepancies between the GFS and ECM at 96-120hrs. A very complex scenario for these computers obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

GFS and ECM diverge at 120hrs in the 12z updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

jirafa wrote: »
    Believe me, derekon, I want snow as much as most others do, but " Don't shoot me, I am only the messenger" and not my views.Hopefully in time,I will find a forecast,that is positive for a good snowy outlook...:D:D:D;);):p:p

Sorry messenger :) I understand you are only conveying the information. I wait in hope for the day you confirm a source quoting snow is on the way!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    GFS and ECM diverge at 120hrs in the 12z updates.

Hi Beasterly, the 12z ECM just out now seems to have dropped the -8 uppper temps for next weekend and replaced them with lower -4 temps. The latter would not be cold enough for snow would they?

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

esposito wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't take too much notice of that. Nobody knows, theres just too much confusion at the moment.
    With the ao going back upand nao it wont be cold really there maybe some cold , around 20th till 24th then mild again irish met have backtracked on any reall cold next weekend , im afriad unless ao dips and stays low with nao cold air wil never reach ireland
    Feb best chance

derekon wrote: »
    Hi Beasterly, the 12z ECM just out now seems to have dropped the -8 uppper temps for next weekend and replaced them with lower -4 temps. The latter would not be cold enough for snow would they?

D

On the website im looking at doesn't have next weekend out for the 12z yet. Are you sure you're not talking about the 0z? But no, it would not be cold enough for snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

ECM 12Z goes down hill after 144hrs :mad: BUT signs of an easterly brewing on FI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭jirafa

John Holmes who has his own weather site, is someone,who I have great respect for, as far as charts/models readers go.I think he gives a clear understanding of what may happen.He is also a respected member of the netweather forum.
    One can check out his forecast from the end of Jan up to mid Feb on the link below.

Link............. http://www.johnholmes-weather.co.uk/forecast.php

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

mcriot29 wrote: »
    With the ao going back upand nao it wont be cold really there maybe some cold , around 20th till 24th then mild again irish met have backtracked on any reall cold next weekend , im afriad unless ao dips and stays low with nao cold air wil never reach ireland
    Feb best chance

Does the AO not correlate to wind directions around the Arctic and the NAO to sea level pressure in the atlantic to up towards greenland ?

Cold air can still get here but may come in from a westerly direction .

• Advertisement

Cold air can still get here but may come in from a westerly direction .

And it is ALWAYS sh1te, look back at December!

ECM has shifted everything a few hundred miles to the East leaving us in the middle, ah well, maybe in 2012/13...

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

ECM has shifted everything a few hundred miles to the East leaving us in the middle, ah well, maybe in 2012/13...

wait for the blizzard don't worry its coming next week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Umm 12z ECM has gone the wrong way, only one run mind you and plenty of time to change but with the GFS sticking to its guns so it could well be the ECM that falls in line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

There is a lot of changing going on at present, Beasterly. I wouldn't lose hope yet. The position of that high over the Azores is key. It is located closer to us in the last two runs, hence the cold shifting east. If that high pushes further nw or w, we will be in a better position. The overriding trend at present is cold weather i.e. temps colder than average for the time of year.

As of now, the models are predominantly indicating cold but not snowy weather. The GEFS is sticking to its guns out to 144hrs but after this it too is trending cold where it wasn't doing so 24 hours ago. A convergence of models somewhat, as Villain stated earlier. Expect plenty of more changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    There is a lot of changing going on at present, Beasterly. I wouldn't lose hope yet. The position of that high over the Azores is key. It is located closer to us in the last two runs, hence the cold shifting east. If that high pushes further nw or w, we will be in a better position. The overriding trend at present is cold weather i.e. temps colder than average for the time of year.

As of now, the models are predominantly indicating cold but not snowy weather. The GEFS is sticking to its guns out to 144hrs but after this it too is trending cold where it wasn't doing so 24 hours ago. A convergence of models somewhat, as Villain stated earlier. Expect plenty of more changes.
    Well weighed up Wolf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

WolfeIRE wrote: »

The trouble is they are not trending cold enough which is made worse by the fact that even this not cold enough stuff is watered down and stubbornly not wanting to leave FI.

I'm not discouraged but I'm not encouraged either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

blackius wrote: »
    I'm not discouraged but I'm not encouraged either.
    The pesky models had better get into alignment or I will ask for a thread downgrade to:

"Possible Cold Spell (Chat Thread) Mid-Late January "

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭beco

That's right Gerry - deny all knowledge!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭pauldry

when he came on I turned the channel

was looking forward to EC:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

Looks like GFS in coming more in line with ECM tonight.. I'm sure someone on here with more knowledge will be able to give more info.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Some body better have turned off the lights on the way out !

Seems everyone is gone , like the hopes of the cold blast at the moment ,

Well thats at least until the next model run ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

18z better but still far off the ecm and ukmo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

baraca wrote: »
    18z better but still far off the ecm and ukmo

I agree, the GFS has the azores high closer to us giving just relative cooler conditions , ECM has a " AZORES Barrier " up right on the Kerry coast ! :rolleyes: , thus giving a better chance of more colder conditions at +144hrs.

The polar vortex still not budging much either though.

Right im not disappointed with that as theres no big downgrade, but not REAL happy either as the GFS still aint wanna go play kick about with the ECM and UKMO ... :rolleyes:

Off to bed , up for work at 5, night all!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Looks like the 20 snow sledges I made will have to go into storage until next winter! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Looks like the 20 snow sledges I made will have to go into storage until next winter! :mad:

Is it really that bad? Why all the big hype the last month :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Not sure what all the depression is about. Its very much on as things stand tonight......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Looking at those charts I can put away the bobble hat for the snowy weather here in Waterford anyway.

Back to the rain jacket for our standard muggy cloudy damp non weather weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Not sure what all the depression is about. Its very much on as things stand tonight......

Neither am I, Whatever happens with this situation we have at the moment, we will have more chances and I still feel February will be the coldest month of winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭jirafa

LONG RANGE DISCUSSION: The cold is coming whether you like it or not!
    From Mark Vogan

Video Link........................ http://youtu.be/sr_t63w1rwM

Quick..Quick...everybody back in, all isnt lost, if you believe Mark.

;););););););):P:P:P:cool::cool:;););)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement