Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Prospects and Discussion (January + Early Feb 2012)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭jirafa

Latest news and views from Brian Gaze, TWO's founder.

If you can’t connect
    Posted Wed, 18 Jan 2012 07:56:20

I know some Virgin Media customers have had problems connecting to TWO during the last 24 hours and hopefully those issues which are beyond our control (our servers are and have been fully operational throughout) will be resolved very soon. At least you’re not missing out on too much weather at the present time, and although it could turn wintry further north during the next few days, it does look as though the general theme for the next week is unsettled. There is now quite a lot of speculation about colder weather developing during February. We’ll see of course and although I’ve had doubts about that this year I’d still be surprised if we got through the whole winter without a colder spell. On the other hand March or April often seem to deliver more amplified patterns on the back of milder winters like this one, so perhaps something wintry in the spring?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

jirafa wrote: »

If you can’t connect

I know some Virgin Media customers have had problems connecting to TWO during the last 24 hours and hopefully those issues which are beyond our control (our servers are and have been fully operational throughout) will be resolved very soon. At least you’re not missing out on too much weather at the present time, and although it could turn wintry further north during the next few days, it does look as though the general theme for the next week is unsettled. There is now quite a lot of speculation about colder weather developing during February. We’ll see of course and although I’ve had doubts about that this year I’d still be surprised if we got through the whole winter without a colder spell. On the other hand March or April often seem to deliver more amplified patterns on the back of milder winters like this one, so perhaps something wintry in the spring?

interesting.........but then again I predicted March to be the coldest month of "winter" way back in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Time to close this thread. It's not going to happen. Unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Folks,

I sound like a broken record at this stage so for the umptheenth time this week from tomorrow a change to colder weather will occur with increasingly wintry showers (snow showers in the Northwest in particular) and frosty nights. Day time temperatures will be maxing in mid single figures generally and night time temperatures will be below freezing away from coasts and this forecast again is being backed up by the Euro models and the GEM ensembles. In fact it now looks quite likely there will be an extension of this colder weather into the start of next week too with further snow showers and winds going more Northerly rather then Northwesterly. I don't have time to post charts right now but I will be back later to tease things out a bit more.

Cheer up. A version of winter is about to begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Met Eireann are saying early indications are that the early days of next week are looking like they are going to be wet and windy so i won't hold my breath waiting for a cold spell. Sorry but the cold keeps being pushed back week by week and i find it very hard to have any confidence in any forecast beyond five days. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I would say that Northern areas of the country on Thursday could be seeing some wintriness and this will be especially so over higher ground. The likes of Donegal's highlands might benefit more from actual snow at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

I see WolfIre ,starter of this thread has been so shocked by the outcome and so betrayed by the treachery of the models that he has closed his boards account :eek::eek:

Do please come back as wolfius or something when you're feeling a little better :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

jirafa wrote: »

If you can’t connect

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

ahh:mad: now the cold is meant to come in spring! back before winter started it was supposed to be october(oh james madden:rolleyes:) then a few forecasters were saying end of november then it was start of december. then it was mid dec. then new years, then mid jan, then the end of jan now start of feb. And now it could be spring.When will this snow eventually make it to our little island, mid july?!? I give up weve been let down sooo many times this winter, oh well :p

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Can one of the forum moderators please close this thread?

There are no signs of any significant cold for Ireland for the next 7-10 days. January 2012 is now a write off in terms of snow. :mad:

Thks

D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bb1234567 wrote: »
    When will this snow eventually make it to our little island, mid july?!?
    I can assure you that some klutz in this forum will start wishing loudly for snow in July. The peace of a million graupels be with them in advance. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

We still have a few months left.
    All we can do is wait and see what the future brings.
    😊

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

TURRICAN wrote: »
    We still have a few months left.
    All we can do is wait and see what the future brings.
    😊

Well we have been waiting since end of November! And like bb1234567 says, any real cold just gets pushed back week after week.

Lets all face reality here, the window for snow is now rapidly closing. I highly doubt we will get a decent snowfall this year in Ireland (by decent , I mean lying snow for a few days, not that slush from the west that gives a bit of snow over high ground)

D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Why is it a shame?? They not going to invent snow or a cold snap...the same models are used by the same people!! There is no imminent cold spell and no amount of different interpretation of models will change that.

Because the lads mentioned as well as Darkman2 and Sponge bob seem to have the most knowledge of the charts , be it cold ,mild , raining ,snowing , windy or still .

Your relatively new to the forum but I have gained a mountain of experience in understanding our weather and charts /models from following there postings in this forum.

Is that ok with you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Shame to see this place go downhill so much since the arrival of a few members who have no interest in discussing weather and only aim is to praise their own forecasts over and over and mock anyway who has an interest in extreme weather. Time to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

je55ie wrote: »
    Shame to see this place go downhill so much since the arrival of a few members who have no interest in discussing weather and only aim is to praise their own forecasts over and over and mock anyway who has an interest in extreme weather. Time to leave.
    Here here,well said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I can assure you that some klutz in this forum will start wishing loudly for snow in July. The peace of a million graupels be with them in advance. :(

Are you paid to be troublemaker? No? Didn't think so. Because you are not even good at that. If you don't like it here or have a problem what are you doing here?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Lads and Ladies, a bit of calm please! Keep things on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Jesus this place is getting as bad as netweather, for those of you writing winter off be extremely careful we are still in January, The met update a few days ago didn’t know which way things are going to go and they are the Professionals, There are real trends in the ensembles of something cold to very cold in the next few weeks the ops may not have picked this up on this yet and it might take a few bites of the cherry, and don’t take every op run as gospel. But mark my words we will have an easterly yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

I just have enough of the moaning of some members in here. I came in from work came on the forum opened two threads all i hear is crying... NO snow..were is the snow... Good Grief.

This is a weather forum it does not say SNOW forum.

Most people love snow myself included even under the hardship it brings, some people need to be realistic here we will not have winters like in 2010 every year. The Altantic has so much influence on our weather and when she's not playing ball its good night Irene.

Besides looking up MT's forecast and the days events in the threads 9 times out of 10 you will always come across a good laugh. I suggest those few who feel a hangover of no snow get on the first plane to the outier regions of the North Pole.

I feel better now rant over.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

It reminds me of this video. ITS REAL ITS A FAKE.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Jesus this place is getting as bad as netweather, for those of you writing winter off be extremely careful we are still in January.......But mark my words we will have an easterly yet.

Well said Musicman. However most likely all we will see in January is but a spittle of graupel on the Inishowen and the Blue Stacks...in the greater scheme of things. Put it another way I only had frost on my windscreen on one morning all winter (in November i think) and the kettle never made it out the door all winter either. I honestly cannot recall the last winter when the kettle stayed in full time.

I made a lightweight and rather FI forecast for February in a more relevant thread than this around a week back. I have not changed my mind. :cool:
    hotwhiskey wrote: »
    I suggest those few who feel a hangover of no snow get on the first plane to the outier regions of the North Pole.

I suggested Norway in early March in the withdrawal thread. Didn't work. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Well I reckon I'm around €500 up on last year's heating bill, so long may it stay mild! ;)

(Puts on his helmet in anticipation of abuse!)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Su Campu wrote: »
    Well I reckon I'm around €500 up on last year's heating bill, so long may it stay mild! ;)

(Puts on his helmet in anticipation of abuse!)

Have to agree with that, the weather might be boring but it's a lot cheaper than last year although you'd have to offset the cost of all the sledges, snow chains, shoe clips , hats, gloves ... bought in anticipation of another Nov/Dec'10 event

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Dont worry folks... ill be sure to take LOTS and LOTS of photos of the snow in Svvvvvwwweeeden for yous! :D

Current forecast for when i arrive.. High -9 | Low -17 °C :):):):) ... so ... whos coming in my suitcase again? hehe! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Dont worry folks... ill be sure to take LOTS and LOTS of photos of the snow in Svvvvvwwweeeden for yous!

Current forecast for when i arrive.. High -9 | Low -17 °C ... so ... whos coming in my suitcase again? hehe!

Please do. My brother is planing on going to Sweden for college and I want him to see how bad it can get. He is not a big fan of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Dont worry folks... ill be sure to take LOTS and LOTS of photos of the snow in Svvvvvwwweeeden for yous! :D

Current forecast for when i arrive.. High -9 | Low -17 °C :):):):) ... so ... whos coming in my suitcase again? hehe! :)
    any chance you can take the back seat mods with you because there so convinced winter is over already :rolleyes:
    looking forward to the pics Ian

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Su Campu wrote: »
    long may it stay mild! ;)

Damn right to don the helmet with that sort of heresy!

tbh, I want savage frost and snow and I'd like to see the -20C barrier broken for the first time since records began - but it ain't gonna happen in "winter" 2011/2012.

:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

delw wrote: »
    any chance you can take the back seat mods with you

Hey! Don't mention the war :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Enjoy it with all those crazy Swedes.

But after my experience of December 2010, it is something I hope to not see in a very long time.

I saw the European forecast earlier today, the Canaries at 21C is where I would like to be.

Reminds me, a plane went overhead the otherday, the app on my phone told me it was a load of depressed Norwegians returning home to Bergen and to the cold after they had taken restbite in Tenerife.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

delw wrote: »
    any chance you can take the back seat mods with you because there so convinced winter is over already :rolleyes:
    looking forward to the pics Ian

Some nice stuff posted in the Fi thread folks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement