Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Prospects and Discussion (January + Early Feb 2012)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Duiske wrote: »
    Amazed no one is talking about the GFS 06z. Huge differences from the previous run.

Saturday night. That Azores high looks like its smiling at us as it tries to make a break North West.

airpressure.png

we need some snow and cold to bring this forum back to life!

If we could just see a high building up in Greenland, we could be in business, but it seem a section of the split polar vortex will hang around Greenland to stop the Azore high linking up with it. A mid Atlantic high wouldn't be a bad outcome.

if we are to get colder weather, it seems some are of the view that the Azore high is more likely to move north eastwards and eventually link with a Russian high moving westwards. That could easily go wrong, but if it did happen, that high would be hard to shift, and with the atlantic in a weaker state, we'd surely get at least two or three days of colder weather out of it.

still we shouldn't be getting sponge bob's hopes up just yet;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If Su does't exercise an outright veto I may show some kindness Calibos.

Would the more memorable Su Su SuperCALIBlizzard not sound better. ?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Sponge Bob wrote: »

As the person who proposed assigning this day to Su in the first instance, and to the extent I therefore retain any residual rights in relation to the naming of the day, I formally and irrevocably consent to Calibos' request.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Even though the sound of it is something quite attrocious?? :eek:

Not a fan of Julie Andrews then, No?? :D

NB* Please do not make any assumptions about my sexual orientation based on the above. :D

Back on topic. I think the latest GFS 06z run is absolutely expialidocious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ahem, back on topic now ;):p

• Advertisement

GFS 12z shaping that Greenland Low up...but where will it go on Monday and Tuesday ?????

12z pushes that Greenland Originated Low much further north on Weds 25th, Donegal might get something out of it.

Another one run wonder. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

12z GFS shows a brief wintry mix for Wednesday but no sign of any cigars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Awful runs this afternoon. The Azores high rules the waves. :mad: Would take something special to change this past day 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭jirafa

Michael Fish presents his weekly forecast on Netweather.tv

Video link http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=michaelfish;sess=

:(:(:(:(..Not looking good for snow now next week,,but at least ,it should feel colder, but things can and do change, over a few hours,,so who knows for certain. what may yet happen towards the end of next week .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

jirafa wrote: »
    Michael Fish presents his weekly forecast on Netweather.tv

Video link http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=michaelfish;sess=

:(:(:(:(..Not looking good for snow now next week,,but at least ,it should feel colder, but things can and do change, over a few hours,,so who knows for certain. what may yet happen towards the end of next week .

A Jirafa post that once again brings bad news in terms of possible cold, shocking! Only joking Jirafa - I know you are only the messenger! :)

I think I will give up reading these boards for a week or so, there is no decent sign of any cold for Ireland over the coming 7-10 days. Which guys, will bring us into the back end of winter, the door of opportunity is slowly closing..............:(

D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

derekon wrote: »
    A Jirafa post that once again brings bad news in terms of possible cold, shocking! Only joking Jirafa - I know you are only the messenger! :)

I think I will give up reading these boards for a week or so, there is no decent sign of any cold for Ireland over the coming 7-10 days. Which guys, will bring us into the back end of winter, the door of opportunity is slowly closing..............:(

D

We have Feb and indeed March to go ! Faith my friend ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

t|nt|n wrote: »
    We have Feb and indeed March to go ! Faith my friend ;)

Yeah but how long can we keep postponing the cold for? Before we know it, we will be in May and thoughts will be turning towards summer..........:D

I will try keep faith but with nearly 2/3 of the real winter months behind us (i.e. December and most of January) faith is waning my friend.......

D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Yeah but how long can we keep postponing the cold for? Before we know it, we will be in May and thoughts will be turning towards summer..........:D

Nah....recently Summer 'been starting in September

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Wild Bill wrote: »

more like a week or two in April/May and thats our lot, followed by 6 months of rain :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

more like a week or two in April/May and thats our lot, followed by 6 months of rain :cool:

Nah, summer is going to be on a Monday this year, sometime in september.

Madpaddy79 wrote: »
    Nah, summer is going to be on a Monday this year, sometime in september.

Yeh - Monday afternoon from 3 to 5. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Wasn't much difference between this month and last July to be honest

Wasn't much difference between this month and last July to be honest

July was much wetter.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

July was much wetter.

How true, only 2mm of rain since the 5 January in Ashford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Has anyone not see the GFS 18Z, Its still FI BUT the beast from the east has shown up:D Will be gone by tommorow but nice to see.

gfs-2012011918-1-384.png?18

No. It has been supported through 3 or 4 runs now and this very thread was started off 2 runs. :D A Cold and Crisp spell is forecast.....finally. :p

I mentioned it this morning myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Who knows, maybe summer 2012 will bring us a good decent cold spell, just like in 2011:

189135.png

189136.png

Fingers crossed everyone.

The 4th Feb is 16 days away!

ffs - this is another crock of merde at the end of the rainbow :mad:

Take a chill pill Bill:) Its all about the trends

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

It's time to face up to the truth .. there's a strong possibility this winters fcuked for cold lovers .. and we're still on this forum because we like talking about the weather :)

doccy wrote: »
    It's time to face up to the truth .. there's a strong possibility this winters fcuked for cold lovers .. and we're still on this forum because we like talking about the weather :)

If we had no decent cold by Mid march Ill agree with you, until then winter is far from fcuked:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Who knows, maybe summer 2012 will bring us a good decent cold spell, just like in 2011:

189135.png

189136.png

Fingers crossed everyone.

That's just amazing, the summer months well below the mean and winter months above....hopefully we can reverse that this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

I firmly believe that we are going to get an easterly in the next 2 weeks! Its been trending towards it for ages now- The rollercoaster is about to go into overdrive- Expect epic easterlys to be a developing theme on future runs over the next week! ;D

AO- Going deeply negative
    NAO- Going negative
    MASSIVE siberian high will build+push into scandi/iceland.
    GP/Chionomaniac/BFTP over on netweather have been saying for days that easterlys should start appearing in Op runs, not just ensembles! M.T thinks there is a cold pattern building too, no? Of coarse all of these forecasters could be wrong, but GP is very rarely wrong and is never wrong when he is so sure of something! + Met office UK have a strong possibility of an easterly in their 15-30 day forecast, ie 50%.

I reckon the we are going to get a beasterly! Who's with me?

Dan :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

doccy wrote: »

Au contraire . Its on people.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement