Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C64 30 Year Anniversary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

pdbhp wrote: »
    Impossible Mission got a rerelease on DS a couple of years ago can still be found in the odd shop for around €10 it even has the original game on it.

Will check that out. I remember they did it in the "Computer Warrior" in Eagle Comic as well......

The old days were the best ???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

keithgeo wrote: »
    I got one for my commuinion i think!

It was i think "light fantastic" pack or something? with Ganster, Rambo\platoon, combat school etc all the light gun games. Also had Batman the caped crusader with it. great game. Think i sold it eventually in the buy and sell to get a NES. played it death when i was younger, me and my brother. Used to rent out and buy the games from a place up in the bowling alley in palmerstown, cant remember the name of the shop now. had thousands of games in it at the time.

Now I have a boxed C64 with a load of games (Thanks Luas!)
    also have a boxed Amiga1200 too.

Holy shit! I had forgotten about that place. C64 games for £2 :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I remember Night Breed had amazing photorealistic graphics

night%20breed.png

Memory is a funny thing sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

DinoRex wrote: »
    Night Breed looked great. But I don't think there's a person alive who knew what the hell they were supposed to be doing in that game.

The interactive movie version of Night Breed on the Amiga is an absolute oddity though.

Oh and I had the yellow zipstick out and plugged in the the CD32 on friday night at the beers.

Zipstick that was it !!!

zip-stick2_480_poster.jpg

As for nightbreed it was a bit much for young kids ! Remember the load screen?
    97440-clive-barker-s-nightbreed-the-action-game-commodore-64-screenshot.png

On a side note i did try do some programming on the c64, a few pages of battleship coding, took ages as a young kid !
    Of course you couldn't turn off the c64 so that power supply was burning a hole in the floor, and at the end it didnt work :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Yeah the Zipstick was the sturdiest stick going. Of course that didn't mean you didn't go through a bunch of them.

I remember one of the magazines used to test and review the different joysticks when they came out and as part of the review they'd drop them off the roof.

I used to have few of these:

1239914417.jpg

They were as f*cking uncomfortable to use as you'd expect... but man were they going cheap in the shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

But but but!! Chasehq was AWFUL! (and worse still the speccy version is great!)
    I picked up a copy for a quid last year.
    Heres me playing it ..(and crying ...as its that terribad)

Surely he meant Chase HQ 2 / Special Criminal Investigation?

Now that port was awesome!

A to Z of all Arcade Conversions for the C64, official, unofficial & unreleased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

The C64 30 years old

Bloody hell

Anyway Boulder Dash on the C64

Best game ever

Mods lock now please nothing else that could be said to change this undeniable fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I had a zipstick too.... fantastic joysticks.
    Anyone remember the Konix Speedking?
    Great for short games of anything, but god help you on long gaming sessions.
    Don't mention sweaty hands either! :)

2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

I remember the one game that made me move from the Spectrum to the C64 was way of the exploding fist. I remember looking in the window in Mullvey's hardware in Dundrum ( as I was leaving around there at the time ) and seeing this game on a colour screen, blew me away.

I also remember my brother playing Elite on the system and after a mamoth session @ 8 hours, he was saving his game and the thing froze. I have never seen anyone lose it at a system before and that much.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just found that shooter I couldn't remember, was called IO and made by Firebird. Incredibly tough game even if it doesn't look it. Ibara hasn't a patch on it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Mr E wrote: »
    I had a zipstick too.... fantastic joysticks.
    Anyone remember the Konix Speedking?
    Great for short games of anything, but god help you on long gaming sessions.
    Don't mention sweaty hands either! :)

2.jpg

I had two of them , best joystick ever!
    I'd another one a bit later called the Cruiser which could probably survive a nuclear strike!
    (I'd the manly red white and blue one , rather than this pastel yoke)
    cruisercolour.jpg
    And a few of the iconic Atari joysticks as well
    Have to say the zipstick is probably the best stick I've used though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

cruisercolour.jpg

I had this stick, but in black. Great stick it was too.

I couldn't afford the fabled Zipstick or the Speedking back in the day. Far too expensive. :(

Oh the cruiser... is that the one you can twist the base of the stick to adjust stiffness?

The Bug was a favourite of mine:

buggp1.jpg

Was way ahead of it's time. Really came into it's own when playing Sensible Soccer on the Amiga though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Cybernoid was another great game, I loved it, I have it at home on the NES now. there was a cowboy game in the "toolbox" pack i think, called outlaw maybe, i loved playing that too.

Also, anyone remember a Yogie Bear game on it? I cant remember much about it but remember playing it a lot.

Geez, I remember the Bug stick too. A lad I know had one of those and indeed, it was the Jennifer's Jubblies when used with Sensible Soccer.

Glorious memories. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Cybernoid was another great game, I loved it, I have it at home on the NES now. there was a cowboy game in the "toolbox" pack i think, called outlaw maybe, i loved playing that too.

Also, anyone remember a Yogie Bear game on it? I cant remember much about it but remember playing it a lot.

I believe it is Yogis Great Escape,

First game i ever finished :)

eddhorse wrote: »
    I believe it is Yogis Great Escape,

First game i ever finished :)

yep thats it, I know its yogi bear, but it was a great game back then!

DinoRex wrote: »
    Oh the cruiser... is that the one you can twist the base of the stick to adjust stiffness?
    phnaaarr
    yes , yes it is.
    even at the lowest it goes its still pretty damn stiff
    steve_carrell1_1780357c.jpg
    "That's what she said"

• Advertisement

there was a cowboy game in the "toolbox" pack i think, called outlaw maybe, i loved playing that too.
    shoot em up construction kit?

yep thats it, there was a few different games on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Just found that shooter I couldn't remember, was called IO and made by Firebird. Incredibly tough game even if it doesn't look it. Ibara hasn't a patch on it.

One of my earliest gaming milestones was finishing that flippin' game. Rock hard, flickery bullet hell. :)
    eddhorse wrote: »
    I believe it is Yogis Great Escape, First game i ever finished :)

Really loved that game. Got pretty tricky on later levels if I remember correctly.

Bomb Uzal was a great little puzzler:

bombuzal_03.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Soooooooo many memories!

There was one game in particular, it was some kind of air combat game that came across 4 tapes. Never loaded for me though :(

I remember when playing Last Ninja 2....best game EVER!!!!

Other ones I loved
    Afterburner
    Scumball
    Wec Le Mans
    Rygar
    Barbarian
    IK+
    Microprose Soccer

At least I feel old with other people :P

Which Afterburner though?

If I remember correctly one was rubbish.

Crazy how many different versions of arcade conversions you'd get for the same system back then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Einstein wrote: »
    Soooooooo many memories!

There was one game in particular, it was some kind of air combat game that came across 4 tapes. Never loaded for me though :(

Other ones I loved
    Afterburner
    Scumball
    Wec Le Mans
    Rygar
    Barbarian
    IK+
    Microprose Soccer

At least I feel old with other people :P

Ooh thanks for reminding me about Microprose Soccer. Such a step up from playing the likes of International Soccer. Best footie game there was until Sensi came along. Seem to remember Oman being the worst team in it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I left IK+ and Emlyn Hughes (RIP) Soccer off my list from earlier. Many, many hours were spent playing those games in 1 and 2 player mode.

Just in case anyone doesn't know about it, there's a massive archive of Zzap 64 stuff here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Ooh thanks for reminding me about Microprose Soccer. Such a step up from playing the likes of International Soccer. Best footie game there was until Sensi came along. Seem to remember Oman being the worst team in it. :pac:
    I remember winning the World cup with Oman hehe

Was a proud day :P

I had Gary Linekers Soccer myself!

• Advertisement

Wec Le Mans

Every time that game is mentioned, it brings back glorious memories. I never personally owned the game, but I remember the day I first played it.

I went in to town with a friend who was the same guy that bought this game. He bought Wec Le Mans. I bought Silkworm. I wanted to get another game in Boots bargain bucket, Kelloggs Milk Cup Cycling (or something along those lines). It was only 99p but I was skint after buying Silkworm and a Big Mac.

Waiting for the bus home, I found a pound on the floor. AMAZING! Fate determined I was to own that Kellogs game! So I went back to Boots, bought it and felt rather satisfied with myself.

Got round mates house, played Wec Le Mans. A truly glorious game. I spent ages playing that game, forgetting about Silkworm and Kelloggs Cycling (which incidentally is an amazing game).

It gets better though. My mate went out for the afternoon to try and 'woo' some bird he wouldn't stand a chance with by giving her some over the top Chocolate orange easter egg (school days remember! we were all skint!). She was the Premiership, he was the Dr. Martens League 1.

Anyway, long story short. She rejected him. He came back to his gaf and sobbed while I sat and played Wec Le Mans, ate a luxurious easter egg and read old copies of Viz whilst smoking endless Benson & Hedges cigarettes out of his bedroom window (which, during the summer of 1996 would come back to haunt me when I pinged a butt out of his bedroom window which landed on their newly installed conservatory with a plastic corrugated roof, that his brother had been sick over the night before, and set fire to it).

In summary, Wec Le Mans is without a shadow of a doubt, the finest video game ever made. :)

Soooooooo many memories!

P
    Music from Last Ninja II was/is amazing by the way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Malice wrote: »
    I left IK+ and Emlyn Hughes (RIP) Soccer off my list from earlier. Many, many hours were spent playing those games in 1 and 2 player mode.

Just in case anyone doesn't know about it, there's a massive archive of Zzap 64 stuff here.

I have every copy of Zzap64 (and Crash for the Speccy) uploaded to my PDF reader on my ipad.
    They are scans from the actual mag.
    Its funny reading back through them, especially the reviews.
    Julian Rignall was the main man back then, great gamer.

How nerdy am I..:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always preferred the Sidewinder games to Afterburner.

Gotta love The Scorelord!

scorelord.gif

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I always preferred the Sidewinder games to Afterburner.

Thunder Blade with the helicopter was miles better than Afterburner and a great conversion to the C64 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Got a C64 in 1987, loved it.

It was bought from Tomorrows World via Santa ;)

Only game I can remember I got with it originally was the Rocky Horror Show, looking back in later years I often thought what a strange game to give a young chap!!!!

Weird, I can't find anything on sidewinder for the C64 other than something that looks like a completely different game? Perhaps I got the name wrong.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Weird, I can't find anything on sidewinder for the C64 other than something that looks like a completely different game? Perhaps I got the name wrong.

There was a Sidewinder 2

sidewinder_ii_01.gif

• Advertisement

No it was an afterburner type game and you controlled a modern jet fighter. You had to load out your weapons at the start of a mission and I remember you could take out ships in the sea levels and fly over what looked like the cliffs of dover when you went back on land. Lighthouses featured in the game as well. Hmm, maybe I'm getting the name confused because sidewinders were the best weapon in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I had Gary Linekers Soccer myself!

The precursor to Kevin Keegans Player Manager. Possibly, now that I think of it, the worst game I've ever encountered was Keegans

Found it! It was called First Strike:

Where the hell did I get sidewinder from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

My C64 is neatly packed away with the dataset nearby as well.
    Amazing that most C64 owners have done the same.
    There's a loyalty towards that machine that is second to none.

I remember that last game I ever bought for it was Puzznic. Had read rave reviews about it in ZZAP and other mags, but never thought a puzzle game could be that good. Was sick when I played it and realised that i had wasted my life up until then :D

My copy of APB is still in me ma's kitchen up on the dresser amongst some other clutter. Have no idea why its being left there !!!

Anyways, couple of favs off the top of my head

Turrican 1 and 2 (except when you turned into the bladeball thingy and got stuck in the background forcing a restart. Grrrrrr)
    Microprose Soccer
    Rick Dangerous 1 and 2
    Football Manager (Go on Doncaster and the legendary N. Spinks)
    Leaderboard
    Mayhem in Monsterland

I could go on.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

EnterNow wrote: »
    The precursor to Kevin Keegans Player Manager. Possibly, now that I think of it, the worst game I've ever encountered was Keegans
    The worst of those "use a famous player's name" soccer games I played was the utterly abysmal Gazza's Superstar Soccer. Scrolling was apparently something that was beyond the developers so it employed a flick-screen viewpoint. The pitch was side-on if you were in the centre. As soon as you got near either goal the view switched to a vertical-top down viewpoint. A fatal flaw with this was that you could be holding left to move towards the goal, the viewpoint would switch and all of a sudden you'd be running your player out over the touchline :mad:.

Arsenal fans of a certain age should get a kick out of the fact that it was apparently released in Sweden as Anders Limpar's Proffs Fotboll :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I would be interested to see what Chris Butler would have done with Outrun or Enduro Racer after his excellent take on Powerdrift.....Obviously I was not expecting great conversions but they could have been a hell of a lot better. No Forks in the road in Outrun ? Come on why bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Here's a stick I spent all birthday money on one year

Joyboard.jpg
    I was dissappoint:(

My main joystick was a kidney shaped one with just one button, can't find a pic of one at the mo so I'll have a look round the net till I find it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Real men, like me, use a Competition Pro for all their joystick needs.
    The Spectravideo Quickshot II was a complete piece of crap and yet everyone seemed to want one.
    Unlike the very well built C'Pro it was made of flimsy plastic through out and very fragile springs, one lousy one in the shaft and leaf spring switches at the cardinal points.
    Everything was prone to failure.
    I used to fix them!
    One good game of Daley Thompsons Decathlon and it was frakked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

ah, I remember getting this in computer city.
    easily the best peripheral I ever bought for any computer.

beG1Y.jpg

and, renting a game in the following way...

Me: "Hi I'd like to rent this game please."
    shopkeeper goes off and gets the box and is about to hand it to me
    shopkeeper: "there you go"
    Me: "How many disks are there in the box there"
    shopkeeper looks in the box
    shopkeeper: "Three"
    Me: "Thanks... Three blank disks as well please."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Spacedog wrote: »
    and, renting a game in the following way...

Me: "Hi I'd like to rent this game please."
    shopkeeper goes off and gets the box and is about to hand it to me
    shopkeeper: "there you go"
    Me: "How many disks are there in the box there"
    shopkeeper looks in the box
    shopkeeper: "Three"
    Me: "Thanks... Three blank disks as well please."

A piracy, sure where would we be without it:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

pdbhp wrote: »
    A piracy, sure where would we be without it:pac:

Double deck cassette players enjoyed great success in those days :D