Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New line - broadband?

Options
  • 04-01-2012 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to have a new line installed at my home. I primarily want to use the line for broadband. I'm in the country, but I know some of the surrounding neighbours have broadband. I really don't want to order a new line and have it installed only to be told that I cannot get broadband. I'm just wondering what are the chances of this happening, and whether I have any recourse if it does?

Cheers.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Try ordering a bundle and then it is obvious you want it for BB

The engineer will eventually show up to finish the install, ensure the line is not split or on a carrier before you let them in...if they cannot come in to install the master socket the order therefore cannot be completed and will cost you nothing.

If the engineer says the line is unsplit/unshared and should be OK from their tests they are almost invariably telling the truth in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    ensure the line is not split or on a carrier before you let them in...

I'm looking for a brand new line...I thought installing split lines wasn't allowed anymore?

Course it is allowed, this is Ireland :( It is up to you to protect your own interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I thought I read ages ago that ComReg prohibited this now. Dunno if this is what I read, but it does say..
    It has been alleged by both Esat BT and lobby group Ireland Offline that one of the prime reasons phone lines are failing tests is due to the now forbidden practice of line splitting, otherwise known as 'pair gain' or putting a 'carrier on the network' that occurred up until 2001. Under this practice, up to 150 houses in an urban area where line splitting was practiced would, for example, share less than 100 copper paired lines to the local exchange.

Would love one of the eircom reps to jump in on this too!

eircom could not deploy pairgains that did not deliver 28.8k any more but were not obliged to remove older pairgains that throttled lines to as little as 12k ...all those are dial up numbers. They could not provide new lines on those older pairgains.

they were not obliged to run copper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement