Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hell and Back 10km

Options
  • 04-01-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

http://www.hellandback.ie/

has anybody done this before ? Whats it like ?

Also, I'm doing the next one (29th Jan) and i'm considering doing it in my Vibrams or Fila Skele. Initially i was going to just do it in normal runners but considering the first stage of the race involves running through a pond waist high, they would be soaked and very heavy for the rest of the race. Obviously the Vibrams / Fila wouldnt be as bad.
    Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SpiceWeasel

Ran it last October, tough run but definitely doable on a good day. I would say get out your rosary beads and start praying for decent weather otherwise it could be quite challenging.

There is a lot of climbing through tyres / pipes and over bales of hay so if your training for it don't just focus on the distance, i.e. running.

I would recommend ramping up on dips and chins for some upper body conditioning beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I did this back in October or whenever it was last on and it was a good tough course. That happened to be a really nice day for it but I'm sure the next day will be the complete opposite! One guy lost his runners in the pond though so I would question the Vibrams as I assume they would be easier to come off in the pond?? (I've no experience of them apart from viewing from afar).
    Also, this is on a trail run so I'd imagine the vibrams offer less cushioning from sharp rocks, etc?

I ran (And intend to do so again) in my mountain runners (Solomon Speed Cross 2 I think they are called). Sure they were heavy and squishy for the next 2km but they really didn't slow me down that much - It was the hill run and obstacles that did that to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

I would recommend ramping up on dips and chins for some upper body conditioning beforehand.

Cheers i was going to ask this actually

belcarra wrote: »
    I ran (And intend to do so again) in my mountain runners (Solomon Speed Cross 2 I think they are called). Sure they were heavy and squishy for the next 2km but they really didn't slow me down that much - It was the hill run and obstacles that did that to me!!

Not sure i could be arsed shelling out 80 notes or whatever on runners for one race.

I wouldnt be worried about the Vibrams coming off. The cushioning might be an issue i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I'm in for this too.
    Fair play if you do it in Vibrams but I'd be wary of The stream where rocks et could be quite sore.

I'd have thought Vibrams better suited for road/track and I think this race is likely to be a lot of uneven surfaces etc so it'll be runners for me, just have to decide which ones as they are likely to be wrecked I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I ran in the autumn one and really enjoyed it. It is a well designed course and with the winter weather conditions should provide a tough challenge. I also think you'd be mad to run it in Vibrams. At several points you will be running through deep water/mud and will have no idea what kind of surface lies beneath. Added to that the, climb up the Little Sugarloaf is quite rocky. I've never worn Vibrams but I'd imagine the cushioning of a regular pair of running shoes would be pretty essential in a race like this.

While I enjoyed the first edition of this I won't be running it again this time around. There are several reasons for this but the main one is the price. It's ridiculously expensive for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

I see that this one is now sold out or fully registered, 1200 places it seems.

Doing it myself, looking forward to it. The price is a bit high, we registered as teams to save a bit but it was the novelty of the event that attracted me, hoping the weather stays dry but at this time of year, you should expect the worst and see how it goes from there.

jesus didnt realsie so many were doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Vibrams would be a no go on this course.Cusioning has nothing to do with it but purely grip.

My advise is fork out on a pair of trail shoes or you will struggle on this course.
    I ran the first one and it wasn't bad,consisted of the pond,1k on hard trails.Field with some bails of hey and tyres and a cargo net you crawl under.
    After htis it gets more technial and you have the big hill which you run up and down 3 or 4 times.

This year it will be much more slippery and muddy.check out this fb page for pictures of the 10ft wall you have to climb and some videos.
    Im stil un decided but will probably give this a miss as im afraid of picking up an injury with my marathon in april.

http://www.facebook.com/HELLANDBACKCHALLENGE

Vibrams would be a no go on this course.Cusioning has nothing to do with it but purely grip.

My advise is fork out on a pair of trail shoes or you will struggle on this course.
    I ran the first one and it wasn't bad,consisted of the pond,1k on hard trails.Field with some bails of hey and tyres and a cargo net you crawl under.
    After htis it gets more technial and you have the big hill which you run up and down 3 or 4 times.

This year it will be much more slippery and muddy.check out this fb page for pictures of the 10ft wall you have to climb and some videos.
    Im stil un decided but will probably give this a miss as im afraid of picking up an injury with my marathon in april.

http://www.facebook.com/HELLANDBACKCHALLENGE

was not aware of the 3 or 4 times scenario

i have abandoned the vibrams idea, but was just going to run ti in a pair of Omni Saucony - you think wearing normal running runners will make you struggle ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

On the website they advised that you should wear a older pair of trainers or the like as they will get covered in mud, water, etc. On the clip they had one lad lost his runner in the mud.

I'd not be using any new pair of trainers thats for sure.

The saucony are my old pair so i don't care about that, its just the grip side of things i'm getting worried about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

grip is so so important not only from performance point of view but safety reasons.The downhill will be tough to stay on your feet without sufficent grip.

If you don't have trail shoes then wear football boots.:eek:

grip is so so important not only from performance point of view but safety reasons.The downhill will be tough to stay on your feet without sufficent grip.

If you don't have trail shoes then wear football boots.:eek:

ah fook

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭themoney

A few updates on facabook.

Bring it on!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I've just spotted this thread, I'm signed up for this one, just for something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Plastik

Did the first one and I'll be out tomorrow also. Course looks a bit more challenging, but the weather is likely to make it tougher again. It's definitely going to be much wetter!

Been wondering how much to layer up, if its frosty. Tis hard to judge!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Oryx wrote: »

Just after seeing forecast ;

Good news : no frost :D

Bad news : Its due to p!ss rain for the day so maybe wellies and a umbrella :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

liamo123 wrote: »
    Oryx wrote: »

Just after seeing forecast ;

Good news : no frost :D

Bad news : Its due to p!ss rain for the day so maybe wellies and a umbrella :eek:
    Not too bad, we'll be soaked from the first 100m regardless!!

• Advertisement

Well that was a bit of craic wasn't it? :eek::D

Man those descents were slippy!
    I was retiring my Adidas Boston's after this race, and had no grip on the downhills at all. Only lost a couple places though, and a few slips taught me to back off or risk heading into the bushes for damage!

Great craic, lovely weather and a good buzz.
    That sure is a hilly course, nice but hilly!

Think I finished 11th out of first wave anyway, 53mins give or take... Will see when results go up how many more slots down I am.
    Good laugh had by all I hope... though I did see the ambulance heading away at the end hope not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Fazz wrote: »
    Well that was a bit of craic wasn't it? :eek::D

Man those descents were slippy!
    I was retiring my Adidas Boston's after this race, and had no grip on the downhills at all. Only lost a couple places though, and a few slips taught me to back off or risk heading into the bushes for damage!

Great craic, lovely weather and a good buzz.
    That sure is a hilly course, nice but hilly!

Think I finished 11th out of first wave anyway, 53mins give or take... Will see when results go up how many more slots down I am.
    Good laugh had by all I hope... though I did see the ambulance heading away at the end hope not too bad.

That was my first ever adventure race and I loved it. The rain really made it and added to the fun. Great course and it's clear now why it's pricey IMO.

My favourite part was the swamp!

I got stuck in the swamp so not my favourite!
    Was on my own and jumped into middle, got stuck and then told keep right.
    Had to pull myself back up with the branch but I was in good.
    Got back and right side then as 2 others came up behind.

Great laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Rebelkell

it was very enjoyable. Pity about the mess the made of the finish where getting your t shirt was like trying to get on the last chopper out of saigon. Great course though the swamp was something else as was the water obsticeles. The cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I was in around 1.07/1.08. Tough day at the office in that weather! Tougher course than the first one also.

No idea on my time. Suffered on the climb up the mountain. I loved the obstacles tho, broke up the run well and made it interesting. I had a few near misses on those muddy descents but came home in one piece. I didn't think it was cold at all! I missed the bottle neck at the finish but it did get pretty bad as the second and third waves came thru.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Great course. And TBH the crap weather acutually made the course even better ;)

Minor moan about the organisation at the finish. Apart from the queues (which could have been avoided with minimal effort), it did not provide much for any spectators, and was too far from the last obstacles to allow finish & pond/bales to be viewed.
    Also, the way the finish/clothes areas was laid out did not make much sense - especially as there was great food on offer in the other courtyard. I doubt the food vendors were overly impressed.

Suggestions for next Winter's event -
    1) Include a food voucher for use at one of the vendor stalls in the 'goodie bag'.
    2) Include a few Standard Marquee's to allow for some cover in the rain.
    3) Provide a bit more thought for the spectators (if the family can come and watch, it makes it easier to take part in the event :p)

All that said, this was a bloody good event, with great challenges. Definitely harder than the last course, even allowing for the rain,

Results are online if you follow a link on their Facebook page. 49m 20 for the winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Great Craic........even the Mud Baths were free :D

I saw a few young Guys (Late Teens or Early Twenties) cutting the Slalom part of the course, LOSERS :mad:

I was in the third wave and most people in that wave were laughing their heads off on the downwards slopes, especially the downward bit before the Slalom.

That River crossing was especially cold:o

And for us back markers No Hot drink at the end :(
    I think they need more than two Boilers.

Already looking forward to the Autumn one :)

Well done to everyone who took part ;)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

As an event I thought it was good fun. It was fairly well run and the course was enjoyable. As a race however I thought it was a little bit unfair. It was a big advantage to be out in wave 1. I havent seen the results yet but I bet the fastest times were all from wave 1.

I understand it was the first time they ran it in winter so fair enough. Maybe next year they could do some grading i.e if you entered last year and you finished in the first 400 then you have a place in wave 1.

Advertisement