Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hell and Back 10km

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭Plastik

There are a few wave 2/3 numbers placed very highly, but it's hard to know whether they went in those waves or skipped into one of the earlier ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Fair play to all the Marshals out on the course today, especially the guys at the Rope climb at the wooden obstacle.

They must have been out on the course very early and stayed out a long time.

Thanks Guys……………..great encouragement..............Great Job ;)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

dermCu wrote: »
    It was a big advantage to be out in wave 1. I havent seen the results yet but I bet the fastest times were all from wave 1.

Wave 1 was set up for advanced runners, Wave 2 for intermediate, and wave 3 for the rest. So obviously fastest runners would/should have come from wave 1. Another factor is that earlier entrants got a better choice of their wave. So if you were entering late, Waves 1 & 2 may well have already filled up and you were left with wave 3.

Some people on Facebook complaining of being in Wave 3 despite finishing in the bottom 1/3rd. Personally I chose to go in Wave 2 and finished in top 3rd (but still hurtin' :o)

About the stop/start back-ups, part of the challenge was to be able to pass people on the climb up the ridge and through the forest/swap sections. Maybe a bit of a backup at the Rope-wall but having had a breather you would have been all set for the quarry and the downhill to the forest. At the end of the day, it is all part of the race/challenge.

But glad you enjoyed it - I will defo be there for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Really enjoyed the race. It was a serious test. The descent was as much a mental test as it was a physical test. With the terrain and obstacles changing so much, the time flys by.

Finished with 1.08, and kind of feel like I left a bit in the tank. Very hard to gauge what pace you should be doing when its your first attempt and your not really sure when the obstacles are coming up and how much they will take out of you. The legs went to lead though after the swamp

Keep up the good work lads

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Great event, totally different throughout. I was in wave two and made a good dash to get pond early and away/ Was already passing walkers from wave 1 in the the field. Didn't find any delays round the course, the odd one but was often let past where possible.

Was going very well till the swamp and after that the legs just slowed up. Like someone said, i think i had more left in hindsight but just couldn't pick up the pace. Could have been the cold after the river either, feet were numb.

Footwear defo made a difference coming downhill, passed loads, i'd a good pair of New Balance trail runners and saw people all over the place in normal runners.

Just got in before the mad queues at finish - 1.09 176th place or so. One of the lads i travelled with was 17th and he was in wave 2.

• Advertisement

Wave 1

Wave 2

Wave3

Hell and Back - Ireland's Toughest 10km
    Extended Highlights

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Oldlegs wrote: »
    Wave 1 was set up for advanced runners, Wave 2 for intermediate, and wave 3 for the rest. So obviously fastest runners would/should have come from wave 1. Another factor is that earlier entrants got a better choice of their wave. So if you were entering late, Waves 1 & 2 may well have already filled up and you were left with wave 3.

Our team was entered pretty early and we were down as advanced. I think it was probably just a mistake that we were put in wave 2. No biggie but it certainly slowed us compared to teams that were in wave 1.
    Oldlegs wrote: »
    About the stop/start back-ups, part of the challenge was to be able to pass people on the climb up the ridge and through the forest/swap sections. Maybe a bit of a backup at the Rope-wall but having had a breather you would have been all set for the quarry and the downhill to the forest. At the end of the day, it is all part of the race/challenge.

Cant say I fully agree with that. It wasn't part of the challenge for the first 30 guys in wave 1 so if this is pitched as a race then its not a level playing field unless all of the people who intend to race are given the opportunity to be in wave 1. In fairness I think that was probably the case and the example of our team and a few others was well in the minority. I'm not having a go, just something for the organisers to make a note of for the next event so that they can further improve next time around.

Looking at the results there there were some great runs by guys who made their way through the field. Look at the guy who started in wave 3 and finished in ~ 18th If he did start in wave 3 then he passed out hundreds and must have had a savage run. You can only imagine that he would have been much further up the standings if he was in wave 1.

The above 4 Videos stitched together in avi. format, can be downloaded from
    https://rapidshare.com/files/3521614647/Hell_And_Back_January_2012.AVI

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

dermCu wrote: »
    Our team was entered pretty early and we were down as advanced. I think it was probably just a mistake that we were put in wave 2. No biggie but it certainly slowed us compared to teams that were in wave 1.

Cant say I fully agree with that. It wasn't part of the challenge for the first 30 guys in wave 1 so if this is pitched as a race then its not a level playing field unless all of the people who intend to race are given the opportunity to be in wave 1. In fairness I think that was probably the case and the example of our team and a few others was well in the minority. I'm not having a go, just something for the organisers to make a note of for the next event so that they can further improve next time around.

Looking at the results there there were some great runs by guys who made their way through the field. Look at the guy who started in wave 3 and finished in ~ 18th If he did start in wave 3 then he passed out hundreds and must have had a savage run. You can only imagine that he would have been much further up the standings if he was in wave 1.

I know I received an email from the organisers (13th Jan) to forward the details of my team, i.e. name, t-shirt size and also which wave we would like to be placed in.
    We chose Advanced which turned out to be Wave 1. The other options were Intermediate and Beginner which would have been Waves 2 & 3.
    Did your team captain not get this email??

bigslice wrote: »
    Was going very well till the swamp and after that the legs just slowed up. Like someone said, i think i had more left in hindsight but just couldn't pick up the pace. Could have been the cold after the river either, feet were numb.

Yep, exact same thing happened to me. also struggled big time in the normal runners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Rebelkell

I cunningly wore normal runners leaving my perfectly good trail runners at home worried I might ruin them. What was I thinking!!!!!!!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I just noticed I'm in that video. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

If you liked this, then the imra Annagh hell hill race next Sunday is made for you. Link to pics on IMRA thread on A/R/T main forum. All barriers are natural, nothing constructed. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Rebelkell

Once again a great hell and back race. The 7 and a half foot wall was nearly the end of me as i fell backwards off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭boccy23

I've never done an adventure race but looking at this, I was thinking of giving it a go. I know that a normal 10Km is no line of time, but my PB for 10KM is 51:22mins. How much longer that you average 10KM would this obstacle 10KM?

boccy23 wrote: »
    I've never done an adventure race but looking at this, I was thinking of giving it a go. I know that a normal 10Km is no line of time, but my PB for 10KM is 51:22mins. How much longer that you average 10KM would this obstacle 10KM?

I would recon with an extra 20 to 25 mins, it would depend on some of the queues at the obstacles.

Just don't go off at your normal 10k pace as there is a good climb up th little Sugarloaf.

It's great craic and I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭The Davestator

boccy23 wrote: »

my PB for 10 k is 48 and it took me 1:29 last Jan! I actually found it easier than a normal 10k as the obstacle as a little break from running and use different muscles etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

I ran 48/49 minutes and my flat pb 33.13

• Registered Users Posts: 45 redhand07

Hey all, any one taking part in the JAN/FEB run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

redhand07 wrote: »
    Hey all, any one taking part in the JAN/FEB run?

Yea & looking forward to it!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Yeah I'm there.

Oryx wrote: »
    Yeah I'm there.

Yeah me too.............hope we get Snow for it this time, the rain was great craic last January :P

yep, signed up for a second effort

• Registered Users Posts: 45 redhand07

The reason i'm asking is i'm mad to try it but the 2nd day seems to be booked up too. i'm wonder is there anyone out there who has pulled out and will allow me take their spot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The reason i'm asking is i'm mad to try it but the 2nd day seems to be booked up too. i'm wonder is there anyone out there who has pulled out and will allow me take their spot

Best to contact the race directors about that first before getting into swap discussions.

10am tomorrow Morning 9th January, registration for an afternoon event on Febuary 3rd available from http://www.hellandback.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Ran the last one in my Brooks Ravenna 2 road shoes and had no problems. If there is good airation in your shoes the water will be gone after the first mile or so. The only place I struggled was on the mucky path in the woods but sticking to the edge of the path worked for me. I'm running the one at the end of this month, I paid the extra couple of quid to be in the 1st wave so I should get the better ground than if there was a thousand or so runners ahead of me.

One poster suggested football boots but I believe they're not allowed for health and saftey reasons. The football boots will leave your feet swimming anyway and you'd struggle on the rocky climb.

10am tomorrow Morning 9th January, registration for an afternoon event on Febuary 3rd available from http://www.hellandback.ie/

Registration now open

http://www.aliveoutside.ie/Current-Events.aspx

• Advertisement

Hope you all are ready for Sunday.

You will be...............if you Train like this :rolleyes:

PS:
    The Lake Is Frozen Over :eek:

FrozenLake_zps8893843d.jpg

Advertisement