Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hell and Back 10km

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Some Memories :eek:

All credit to James Rowan

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Battlejuice

Brilliant vid! And fair play to you for blasting straight through the swamp!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

olcod wrote: »

I definitely agree Bulmers, I was a spectator and nominated driver, I really felt for everyone who had finished the course and had nowhere to clean up properly. There were 5 people doing the run who had to suffer a 5 hour car journey home feeling totally manky as even after washing down as best they could and putting on clean dry clothes were still semi caked in mud, an uncomfortable ride home for the poor lads, a real spoiler to what was otherwise a great day.
    I enjoyed the challenge yesterday but must agree and say that for the money it was poorly organised. 60+ standing waiting for 1 minute hot shower. People cutting their knees and then entering skips of stagnant water was totally unacceptable. I couldn't blame people if they sued the organisers over any illnesses developed as a result. I won't partake in it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 IceQueen30

I did the Hell and Back for the first time this January. I did it on the first day, Jan 27th, along with my Mam and a cousin of mine.
    Very tough but we finished it and have our t-shirts. Feel like wearing it every day!! :D

However, I heard from someone who was up there to support yesterday that the organisers got rid of the monkey bars/climbing ropes obstacle and also that the barb wire crawl was shortened this week? Is that true? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lilylady24

IceQueen30 wrote: »
    I did the Hell and Back for the first time this January. I did it on the first day, Jan 27th, along with my Mam and a cousin of mine.
    Very tough but we finished it and have our t-shirts. Feel like wearing it every day!! :D

However, I heard from someone who was up there to support yesterday that the organisers got rid of the monkey bars/climbing ropes obstacle and also that the barb wire crawl was shortened this week? Is that true? :confused:

Ye, there was no monkey bars/climbing ropes...I don't know if the barbed wire was shorter but it definitely still hurt yesterday.....

enjoyed the event!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

physioman wrote: »
    I enjoyed the challenge yesterday but must agree and say that for the money it was poorly organised. 60+ standing waiting for 1 minute hot shower. People cutting their knees and then entering skips of stagnant water was totally unacceptable. I couldn't blame people if they sued the organisers over any illnesses developed as a result. I won't partake in it again.
    I think anyone who considers sueing should wrap themselves in cotton wool and not enter this kind of race. Its called 'hell and back', not 'a gentle run in the woods'. The organisers do warn what will be faced. Everyone taking part should take personal responsibility for their safety and make their own personal risk assessment.

Yes there were problems. Adequate on site wash facilities are a necessity, not a luxury. It is part of the care and consideration for participants, in terms of both comfort and hygiene. It will certainly be a big factor in how this race progresses. If you dont take care of people adequately they won't return. Certain obstacles simply didnt work or have health and safety issues, but really you cannot enter a race that involves water and mud and climbing without understanding that there is a risk of injury or disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

To be fair if you read all the information sent by email and on their website you would of known that shower and cleaning facilities were thin on the ground.
    If people were cutting their knees they obviously were not reading the advice on wearing running tights.
    There was also advice given on weels disease and advice given on other conditions.
    You should of also read the disclaimer you agreed to and the advice to have your own personal injury insurance.

The organizers did a good job with the event. I'll give you that the cleaning facilities on site could be better but it was not a secret that they would be primitive. The event in October just had a man with a pressure washer hosing people down one by one. Might I suggest that you read the information the organizers give you before entering another event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

lilylady24 wrote: »
    Ye, there was no monkey bars/climbing ropes...I don't know if the barbed wire was shorter but it definitely still hurt yesterday.....

enjoyed the event!

Well done Lilylady....glad you enjoyed it..see ya in June :p

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

This made me laugh, thanks.

Count yourself lucky to have had the minute - showers broke last week when people were only coming in from Wave 1 and didnt get back working.
    A friend was in the queue and she couldnt get a shower at all. Had to brush herself down with a towel. I had to drive home sitting on a piece of plastic that was in the boot of the car. But I am not planning to sue Alive Outside due to this. It has to be expected at an event of this type.

• Advertisement

lilylady24 wrote: »

enjoyed the event!

I enjoyed it too. First time doing anything like this. Had a great time looking back on it after I'd gotten home to a hot shower. Was too baltic before that! The cold last week was unreal. When the spectators are wearing under armour, its never a good sign!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,456 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

IceQueen30 wrote: »
    But I am not planning to sue Alive Outside due to this. It has to be expected at an event of this type.

I wouldn't be suing either. But to echo another poster, I am going to do the Run-a-Muck challange for the second time next month, but I won't be bothering with the Hell and Back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭smurph10

Did this yesterday, was in the last wave, hadn't done it before so can't compare it to last year.

Overall I found it very good, the initial 3k track wasn't as bad as I thought it wud be given the thousand or two that went before us. Stayed to the outside of it so was fit to run pretty freely. Ran as much as I cud up the sugar loaf but found there was a lot of traffic from previous the earlier wave but every1 was very good at letting you past. When knackered, walking was the only option. The run down from the sugar loaf was great craic altho I don't know how some people didn't do in an ankle. Really enjoyed the quarry part of it and found I made some ground up here. The Swamp was the main area were I found there was a major backlog of people but every1 seemed to help others out in getting through it which was great. Had a small swim in the river to pass a lad out and then it was onto the barb wire. Strange how some people wer simply lyin in this and not moving so I moved to the extreme right of it and got a clear enuf run. Mud was really deep here so didn't have to worry bout hurting the knees.
    Ran through the electric fence and got a severe shock at the very end of it but nothing that lasted more than a second and so into the bins and over the bales to the end.

Thought they cud have had a few more obstacles in the first 4k but maybe that was left out to help with getting up the sugarloaf.

Saw one guy basically elbow, shoulder people out of the way on the way up the sugarloaf, no need for it.

Thought 4-5 hot power washes wud have been good to have as well as the showers as the queues were pretty long.

Overall I really enjoyed it and wud definitely do it again.

Finished in a time of 1.10 so was happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭DonR8

Done this on the 3rd Feb

We raised money for BCI, i done no training for it and f**k me it was tough, but i wasn't going to give up.
    Great experience well worth doing you fell great after doing it well minus the pain lol

we are doing it again in June

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Seeing as this is a running event should it not be in A/R ?

tunney wrote: »
    Seeing as this is a running event should it not be in A/R ?
    I think it was classified as messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Oryx wrote: »
    I think it was classified as messing.

Yup. It was shunted over here as an 'adventure' race.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Yup. It was shunted over here as an 'adventure' race.

So basically silly "events" are doing to be dumped in here? Despite it being entirely "running" in nature?

So basically silly "events" are doing to be dumped in here? Despite it being entirely "running" in nature?
    Next youll be asking all the spring marathoners to leave....

Next youll be asking all the spring marathoners to leave....

whats a spring marathoner?

• Advertisement

whats a spring marathoner?
    Someone who does a marathon. In spring. But posts here. Cos they sometimes swim. And have been known to cycle.

Does this kind of thing really upset you?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Does this kind of thing really upset you?

You know Tunney yeah? Everything upsets him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Don't worry Tunney, us Mods are in negotiations to have Dory Dorys log shunted back to the Athletics/Running as she hasn't been in a pool in months, and yours will be moved to either "Personal Issues", "Long Term Illness" or "Food and Drink", although "Zombie Survival" (yes there is a Zombie Survival forum :eek:) have expressed a late interest. One thing is clear, its not a triathlon log. Don't worry, we'll have this place cleaned up in no time.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

Hi all. Just wondering, for people that have done more that one of the 'Hell and Back races, is there much difference between the three challenges (Apollo, Titan & Trojan) and if so which did you enjoy the most?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭griffin100

link_2007 wrote: »
    Hi all. Just wondering, for people that have done more that one of the 'Hell and Back races, is there much difference between the three challenges (Apollo, Titan & Trojan) and if so which did you enjoy the most?

Sounds like each race is sponsored by a condom brand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭DonR8

so many people doing the one in june

here is a handy link if u wanna prepare for it or any run at that
    http://my.asics.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Anyone else entering this in June? I was at the one in February but not sure about the summer version. This drawing of a new obstacle from their facebook page isn't doing anything to convince me either! :Dhttps://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=569497916423654&l=c4c8c0b279

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fatnec

Done Apollo on saturday and it was very tough to say the least. Best of the three so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

fatnec wrote: »
    Done Apollo on saturday and it was very tough to say the least. Best of the three so far

It was brilliant. Much tougher course with twice as many hills.

I was well chuffed with my top 100 finish on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

http://youtu.be/M1EqZ0LmWwM

The official video of Hell&Back Apollo from last week.

Twas epic.

Advertisement