Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Player app on Samsung smart TV

• 04-01-2012 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Just bought a Samsung UE40D5520.
    It is a SMART TV, so it has lots of apps, but it doesn't seem to have RTE Player or the TV3 equivalent. Does anybody else have a Samsung Smart TV, and if so, have you managed to get the RTE Player or TV3 Catch Up set up on it?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For what it's worth, I have a Sony Blu-Ray player (S480) which has the TV3 app but not the RTE PLayer. It's connected direct to my UPC router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭CarPark2

Thanks for that. I came across a news link saying that TV3 were linking up with Sony to provide access to their Catch-Up service through Smart TVs and Blu-Ray players.

But isn't it a bit rubbish if only Sony have the TV3 app, and none of the Smart TVs/Blu-ray players have an RTE app? Surely the television station i-player would be one of the most popular uses for a Smart TV? It kind of makes me wonder what is the point of the Smart TV. If i want to watch youtube, or use facebook or google maps, i would rather use my laptop/Smart phone, where i can use a mouse/touchscreen and have a keyboard to type.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jazthedribbler

Hi CarPark2. I was just looking at getting a Samsung UE40D5520 myself. If you don't mind me asking if where did you get it and what price did you pay? I don't see any deals out there ...

HI jazthedribbler
    I got it in Currys for 579 [see HERE]. They are not applying the VAT increase until Jan 8th. (PowerCity had the same deal at Christmas, but they seem to be sold out).

The lower spec 5000 was actually more expensive (see HERE)

I just have it two days, so haven't used it that much.

My impression so far:
    Pros:
    Overall good TV, nice screen, good reviews online.
    It plays videos straight from a hard drive that i have (attached via USB).
    It has a Lan connection, or you can buy a dongle for wireless.
    It has loads of connectivity: 4 x HDMI, 2 x USB, 1 x SCART, 1 x Computer monitor connection etc etc. - I hope this will make it 'future-proof'

Cons
    The SMART factor is a bit of a let-down. It doesn't have RTE Player or the equivalent for TV3, this would be one of my main uses for an internet-connected TV. BBC i-player won't work in Ireland because of licencing laws. I don't really have much use for facebook or twitter, or google maps on my TV.
    If you want to use it with wireless, you have to buy a samsung dongle, and i think that they can be expensive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is this a better tv for the price?
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9578142/art/samsung/ue40d5700zf-led-smart-tv.html#pix-review

The dongle I have seen on the net for 49 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd be wary of all those logos, I'd say if you studied the box there would be a 'subject to local availability' disclaimer on all of them.

yop wrote: »
    Is this a better tv for the price?
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9578142/art/samsung/ue40d5700zf-led-smart-tv.html#pix-review

The dongle I have seen on the net for 49 euro.

Well as it is a higher number, i would guess it should be, but it is hard to see from the spec shown, what it has that the 5520 doesn't have.
    Note also, you will have to pay the delivery, so it will be a bit more expensive. I would want to know what it has over the 5520, before i parted with the extra cash.

Anyway, back to topic, has anybody managed to get RTE player on their Samsung SMART TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

CarPark2 wrote: »
    HI jazthedribbler
    I got it in Currys for 579 [see HERE]. They are not applying the VAT increase until Jan 8th. (PowerCity had the same deal at Christmas, but they seem to be sold out).

The lower spec 5000 was actually more expensive (see HERE)

I just have it two days, so haven't used it that much.

My impression so far:
    Pros:
    Overall good TV, nice screen, good reviews online.
    It plays videos straight from a hard drive that i have (attached via USB).
    It has a Lan connection, or you can buy a dongle for wireless.
    It has loads of connectivity: 4 x HDMI, 2 x USB, 1 x SCART, 1 x Computer monitor connection etc etc. - I hope this will make it 'future-proof'

Cons
    The SMART factor is a bit of a let-down. It doesn't have RTE Player or the equivalent for TV3, this would be one of my main uses for an internet-connected TV. BBC i-player won't work in Ireland because of licencing laws. I don't really have much use for facebook or twitter, or google maps on my TV.
    If you want to use it with wireless, you have to buy a samsung dongle, and i think that they can be expensive.

Pretty good TV

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/plasma-and-lcd-tvs/samsung-ue40d5520-1020424/review

Sgt Pepper,
    Do you have one of these?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Went to Harvey norman, all they had on show was the 8000's of the Samsung, 1999 euro, SLIGHTLY out of my budget!
    I asked for a demo of the 6530 model but they couldn't set it up!

Spotted a lovely Philips there, great picture
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/philips-40-full-hd-led-tv.html
    On pixmania the same TV
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/10165333/art/philips/40pfl5606h-12-led-televis.html

I have to say the picture quality is excellent on the demo they had there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

It is a SMART TV, so it has lots of apps, but it doesn't seem to have RTE Player or the TV3 equivalent. Does anybody else have a Samsung Smart TV, and if so, have you managed to get the RTE Player or TV3 Catch Up set up on it?
    Thanks in advance.

Have you tried accessing these services through the built in Web Browser on the Samsung SMART TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adenaden

I recently bought one of these tv,
    Do any of you have any issues with game consoles on it?
    Also any issues with Bly ray DVDs eg. Ghosting or blurring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Thanks in advance.

I have the Samsung UE32BD6530 Smart TV and use the browser to load the Rteplayer website and watch through the browser. Using the remote control is painful for navigation, using the IPhone / Androidd app is slightly better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I got a copy of the Samsung brochure "Experience the future of TV - Samsung Smart TV" - in it is stated: "Watch TV on demand with RTE Player and TV3 Catch Up" - but I think they are ahead of themselves - I read somewhere that RTE have not yet made this move....maybe Samsung know something we don't...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I got a copy of the Samsung brochure "Experience the future of TV - Samsung Smart TV" - in it is stated: "Watch TV on demand with RTE Player and TV3 Catch Up" - but I think they are ahead of themselves - I read somewhere that RTE have not yet made this move....maybe Samsung know something we don't...
    Yeah, but RTE Player XL (PlayerXL more suited to TV) and TV3 Catchup work (to an extent) if accessed via the web browser (it's only higher model "Smart" TV's that have the browser, too)!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭tweenie

Hi
    Just wondering if you managed to get this. I too would like the rte player on my samsung tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

None of the TV manufacturers have RTE catch up services yet but RTE are working on it. Sony Smart TVs and blu-ray players are the only ones that have TV3 catch-up which is quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Morris Code

Checked today for any new apps and the RTE Player is now there.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭freevoice

Yep the RTE player app is now on samsung smart tv .If it doesn't update automatically just go to samsung app section of smart hub and it should be under "Whats new section" can install it from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I was looking at getting something like this - http://www.lg.com/ie/tv-audio-video/video/LG-ST600.jsp - to add the smart part to the existing TV. Does anyone have experience with these ?

I wouldn't plan on using it for browsing the web - 2 minutes on the Wii showed me how pointless it is trying to browse using a remote control for input. The main use would be online streaming of things such as RTE, C4, etc . . .

It sounds like RTE player should now be supported on the LG devices, but what about the likes of 4OD ? I understand that the BBC player is region restricted.

I currently watch movies by attaching an external HD to my old trusty €39 Philips DVD player which seems to handle them pretty well, or connecting up the laptop via HMDI and playing them from there.

Some of the other threads have indicated that it might be better to buy a blu-ray player with smarts built in - it's hard to know what to get these days. I don't mind paying a bit to get one device that works well, rather than a series of devices which mostly work, but won't play this sort of content, or won't connect to that service . . .

z

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Installed it this morning - pretty impressive service.

Happy Days

Whats the quality like? The newer releases Samsungs look serious boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,448 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

not showing on my ue46c6540 (c model hence no browser) never use the smart tv aspects so a bit pointless (wont even stream mp3's without messing with my home server)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

This updated automatically for me this evening, never knew about it. I must say, first impressions are very impressive - I would imagine it is what is on the Apple TV boxes, very slick implementation of the player, much much better than what UPC implemented on their network. It has a far more graphical interface than what UPC implemented.

Also seems to have much greater content - first show I looked at, Home and Away, UPC only have back until 7 June ( 7 days), Samsung version goes back until 30 May, 2 weeks. Still lacking in US show's, so no grey's anatomy etc.

Playback quality is decent, seems better the web version.

All in all, a very impressive addition to the samsung app list.

The other one I like is the red bull app - the playback on this is stunning, has to be seen to be believe. There really is hardly any difference between this and the hd channels on the freesat box I have, it is certainly better quality than most SD channels, and it has never stuttered on me, not once. It helps that I like mountain biking etc, so brilliant videos up there to be amazed by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭saucers82

not showing in samsung app store for me on model UE40EH5300

any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

samsung now has tv3 app in the store happy days between that and rte app we might finally say goodbye to sky the wife was keeping it for soaps

samsung now has tv3 app in the store happy days between that and rte app we might finally say goodbye to sky the wife was keeping it for soaps

what model have you? I can't see either of these.
    are you registered and login to the smart hub etc, is that where i am going wrong? I bought the TV in UK, probably only seeing apps available to that region??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

my model is ue46d5700
    my model came from holland but in the set up you can select your region and then join the samsung smart store and pick any apps you like, rte is there with tv3, that only came on recently

my model is ue46d5700
    my model came from holland but in the set up you can select your region and then join the samsung smart store and pick any apps you like, rte is there with tv3, that only came on recently

Did all that still no rte and tv3
    Any ideas?

• Advertisement

i figured it out but now lost out on 4od but have RTE and TV3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsDbgAoWcD0

Advertisement