Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAISING PH

• 04-01-2012 3:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

I have a 4 acre field with a ph of 5.5, how much and what type of lime would iy take to raise it to 6.5 for grass growth?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭fatoftheland

it usually takes half tonne per acre to lift it by 0.1 ph. 6.2 is fine for grass so in or around 3.5t/ acre. best spread in two applications but if ground is peaty best not to use any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Sorry for the possibly stupid question but why not add any lime of the land is a bit peaty. Peaty soil is pretty acidic so would surely benefit from lime too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭Highland

Peaty soil can't take lime to the same extent, becomes soggy. re pH, its not simply about pH, its about buffering capacity - the lab that analized the soil sample should be able to give you an indiaction as to how much lime is needed. dont apply more than 2.5 t per acre in any one year, skip two years before applying the next round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I wouldnt apply lime until I would know the available calcium figure, there are other ways of raising Ph without using lime and some of my farm land falls into this category. I raise Ph on this land with magnesium. its all about a balanced soil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I wouldnt apply lime until I would know the available calcium figure, there are other ways of raising Ph without using lime and some of my farm land falls into this category. I raise Ph on this land with magnesium. its all about a balanced soil
    Is that a magnesium based lime, bob, rather than a calcium based one or what kind of magnesium:confused:

• Advertisement

No a straight Magnesium and sulphur mix that is called Kieserite, hard enough to get it in Ireland as its not widely used. I farming on top of solid limestone, the land has a low Ph but sky high levels of Calcium so I cant spread lime in some places. There is also mag based lime which would increase both calcium levels and magnesium levels. Very low levels of Potassium in the soils will also lead to low Ph. Soils are one of the most interesting things there is IMV (how sad am I)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

No a straight Magnesium and sulphur mix that is called Kieserite, hard enough to get it in Ireland as its not widely used. I farming on top of solid limestone, the land has a low Ph but sky high levels of Calcium so I cant spread lime in some places. There is also mag based lime which would increase both calcium levels and magnesium levels. Very low levels of Potassium in the soils will also lead to low Ph. Soils are one of the most interesting things there is IMV (how sad am I)
    Thanks bob. Just wait till you discover women;);):D

5live wrote: »
    Thanks bob. Just wait till you discover women;);):D

Excessively shagging both will cost you in the long run:D

Advertisement