Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garavogue and Clarence to close??

Options
  • 04-01-2012 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

Was just talking to a friend of mine back in Sligo and he mentioned that both the Garavogue and the Clarence will be shutting their doors in the next few weeks?? Is this true?

Anytime I have been in the Gara it was jointed but that was just at the weekend. As for the Clarence I heard its always empty and there was an issue recently with Aslan playing before xmas.

Has anyone heard anything?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't know about the clarence but last I head the garavogue will be staying open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Is it not said that the garavogue is being run by the owners of the building after the fella renting it did a runner without paying rent for five months and didn't give the Sligo's Got Talent winner her prize?
    I heard they're running it now to make back the money but then closing, think I read it on here

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Is it not said that the garavogue is being run by the owners of the building after the fella renting it did a runner without paying rent for five months and didn't give the Sligo's Got Talent winner her prize?
    I heard they're running it now to make back the money but then closing, think I read it on here

Why would they run it just to make back their money and then close it again. If it's turning a profit then surely keeping it open just makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I thought the folks who ran the Gara had a few other nightclubs/superpubs around the country? Its a shame people can get away with that crap!! Putting local jobs at risk!

That's true, but if they have other interests and they bought it purely to rent it out maybe they haven't the time to invest into it. Renting out something is easier and much less stress and hassle than running it

• Advertisement

I was refering to the guys who rented it and did a runner. Do they not have a couple of similar interests in the midlands??

I heard that frag but not sure. I think it's awful that the girl didn't get her prize, the amount of money they would have made from that series is unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

it's not fair to either business to be posting up heresay about closures or otherwise unless you can back it up with a newspaper report or something verifiable.

maybe they are closing and you're bang on the money but i don't know, it's not right to speculate on it in this way, rumours grow quickly and can affect relationships with suppliers, banks etc and really hurt a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

With less money around and people drinking at home, it's a really tough business at the moment. Unfortunately for those who work in it, it's a sector that few have much sympathy for (they get people drunk wha wha etc.).
    Very hard to run a pub or club from afar. You don't know the town, the locals preferences or patterns. Hard to get a good manager because anyone who knows the business can rent their own premises cheaper than before so won't work for a paltry salary. Not a business I'd want be involved in right now. Saturday night you had 2,500ish split between 3 clubs. Probably half that now between 2. Not many industries taking quite such a battering as that (construction excepted of course).

promethius wrote: »
    it's not fair to either business to be posting up heresay about closures or otherwise unless you can back it up with a newspaper report or something verifiable.

maybe they are closing and you're bang on the money but i don't know, it's not right to speculate on it in this way, rumours grow quickly and can affect relationships with suppliers, banks etc and really hurt a business.

I see what your saying but I was just enquiring so see if anyone else heard about. Since my first post I have heard from a few people this evening with various involvement with both places and know what's going on now but taking into consideration your point I won't say anything.

Best thread is locked for now perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

frag420 wrote: »
    I see what your saying but I was just enquiring so see if anyone else heard about. Since my first post I have heard from a few people this evening with various involvement with both places and know what's going on now but taking into consideration your point I won't say anything.

Best thread is locked for now perhaps.

Yeah i didn't think there was any malice or anything in your original post and fair enough u were asking a question. There are rumours doing the rounds alright and i've heard them too, but they're just that for now. It must be a bloody tough business to be in. Was out a few times over the christmas and it was noticably quieter, even on the traditional big nights like stephens night.

Promethius I wouldn't have posted it if it wasn't already mentioned here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

It would be a shame to see the clarence go it was nice to have a nightclub that didnt play chart ****e.They let to many scumbags into the place thats what killed it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It would be a shame to see the clarence go it was nice to have a nightclub that didnt play chart ****e.They let to many scumbags into the place thats what killed it

The Clarence in the Nineties was class, it was years ahead of the rest of the country for various Dance music genres.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭tommmy

The Clarence in the Nineties was class, it was years ahead of the rest of the country for various Dance music genres.

Then again the 90s was the best era for dance music,The Prodigy were at their peak and dance music was good,todays dance music isnt as good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I heard that frag but not sure. I think it's awful that the girl didn't get her prize, the amount of money they would have made from that series is unreal

She got half her prize money.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

The Clarence was a brillaint club, and was prob the only club in Sligo that was open to alternative music and was just all round a nice place to go to.

The Garavogue on the other hand, heap of ****e, they wouldn't let me in because my friend had a mohawk! Hope it closes, reopens and turns into a REAL nightclub. A place were you can enjoy yourself without having to dress like a polished bogger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    The Clarence was a brillaint club, and was prob the only club in Sligo that was open to alternative music and was just all round a nice place to go to.

The Garavogue on the other hand, heap of ****e, they wouldn't let me in because my friend had a mohawk! Hope it closes, reopens and turns into a REAL nightclub. A place were you can enjoy yourself without having to dress like a polished bogger.

What age is your friend? Garavogue was great about 10 years ago. It has, however, never been a nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

il gatto wrote: »
    What age is your friend? Garavogue was great about 10 years ago. It has, however, never been a nightclub.

Surely that's even more of a reason to drop the snobby attitude. Sad to see a business go but I wont miss the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

il gatto wrote: »

Older than me, and I'm 19. And I prefer late bars to night clubs, but Shennanigans and McHughs (don't go there much, more for the late 20s crowd) is the only decent late bar in Sligo.

All in all, I'm a cheap pr1ck that doesn't cause trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Anytime I have been in the Gara it was jointed but that was just at the weekend.
    I thought the folks who ran the Gara had a few other nightclubs/superpubs around the country?
    Please stop calling it that, horrible.

thebuzz wrote: »
    Anytime I have been in the Gara it was jointed but that was just at the weekend.
    I thought the folks who ran the Gara had a few other nightclubs/superpubs around the country?
    Please stop calling it that, horrible.

No. Was always the gara to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

No. Was always the gara to me.
    Just you, so long as you know.

:D

Advertisement