Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould on ceiling above wall vent

• 04-01-2012 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Mould on ceiling above wall vent.

The ceiling is insulated but cold air from the vent is cooling the area around the vent and the ceiling above it. The mould is then forming in these areas.

Is this normal can I stop it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 eibhlin1106

I am having problems with mould only on ceilings in most rooms of my home. The walls are fine but most of the mould is on the ceilings over the widows or in the corners. Anybody know what the cause of this is? Our attic is insulated. Our home is made from cavity block (not cavity wall unfortunatly). Am tired of washing off the mould and then painting with special mould eliminator which only works for a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

I am having problems with mould only on ceilings in most rooms of my home. The walls are fine but most of the mould is on the ceilings over the widows or in the corners. Anybody know what the cause of this is? Our attic is insulated. Our home is made from cavity block (not cavity wall unfortunatly). Am tired of washing off the mould and then painting with special mould eliminator which only works for a year or so.

ventialtion - wall vents etc seems to be the answer

All rooms have vents to the outside - double checked them to make sure they were actually properly vented and they are so that's not the problem unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Tidyweb

Hopefully someone has the anser for you.

How much insualtion is in the attic. Depth of insulation and type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

De-humidifier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

It's forming in the corners because this is where air will find it most difficult to circulate and hence harder to carry away any moisture that has condensed in that region. As for above the window my guess is that the window isnt doing a very good job of keeping in heat and as a result a colder area (relative to the rest of the room) is forming above and around the window and causing moisture laden air to release its moisture in the cold area above your window.
    As for solving your problem well that can often be quite tricky for some people due to constraints they may have when it comes to heating bills and space to dry clothes etc etc. Ultimately you need to reduce the amount of moisture that you create in your home while simultaneously increasing ventilation. However you choose to do this is up to you.

The attic is insulated with fiberglass (not sure of the thickness) and has been there for about 10/12 years so maybe it's time to replace that. Think I might contact the SEI and maybe they can recommend somebody, or preferably a couple of guys to come out and have a look at the problem and then take it from there .....

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭AMG86

You need to balance insulation, heating and ventilation. See http://www.proair.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=63&Itemid=209. If the walls are made of cavity blocks you may have to consider external insulation. Unfortunately it is a dearer option than say cavity wall insulation.

Advertisement