Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Internet on PC through laptop wireless problem

Options
  • 04-01-2012 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I recently moved my desktop and until I pickup a wireless stick I'm using my laptop for connectivity as my PC has no wireless card.

Both machines are running windows 7 64-bit. I setup the connection as normal changing the laptops wireless adapter properties to be shared. The laptop is connected using an Ethernet cable to the network card of the PC.

Everything seems to work fine, but intermittently web pages won't load on the PC. Poker clients, games, MSN/Skype etc do not drop. The power settings are set to full on the laptop. When HTTP isn't working, I can't ping URLs, but I can ping IP addresses. Also webpages work fine on the laptop when this happens.

If I disconnect the Ethernet cable for a second and insert it again the problem goes away.

Pretty strange one, any insight would be good.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

I'd try setting the DNS server ip manually on your desktop machine. I use google's just because they're easy to remember (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), but your isp's nameservers should work too.

Advertisement