Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2 Pack Paint (spraying my car)

Options
  • 04-01-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi,
    I sprayed my car at the weekend with 2 pack paint.
    I used the 1:2 ratio when mixing the hardner in.
    The car is three days sprayed and the paint is still soft. Anyone know why this is.?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

crossy wrote: »
    Hi,
    I sprayed my car at the weekend with 2 pack paint.
    I used the 1:2 ratio when mixing the hardner in.
    The car is three days sprayed and the paint is still soft. Anyone know why this is.?

Thanks

Where did you spray it? In an open or closed shed? How much is there is the area you sprayed?

You may not have added enough hardener into the paint. That's what I reckon has happened.

Have you had any heat in the area you sprayed the car? You need heat when it's cold like it is these days but after three days heat or not it should defiantly be gon hard at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭crossy

Where did you spray it? In an open or closed shed? How much is there is the area you sprayed?

You may not have added enough hardener into the paint. That's what I reckon has happened.

Have you had any heat in the area you sprayed the car? You need heat when it's cold like it is these days but after three days heat or not it should defiantly be gon hard at this stage.

I sprayed it in a proper spray booth and had the temp over 40 degrees. I left the heat on it also for 3 hours at 42 degrees.
    I mixed the hardener perfect as i used 2 litres of paint and used up a whole litre of hardner. It cant be wrong if it said a 1:2 mix on the can.

It could have been a bad batch of paint if that's the case then. Did you thoroughly mix the paint and hardener each time you refilled your paint pot?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭farrellniall

did you add about 10% thinners. and also did you buy the paint and the hardner in the same motor factors. i have seen where adding two diffrent types of paint and harder together they wouldent go off. to much heat can also sofften paint. (are you shore its was 2k paint)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

10% thinners will help the paint to flow and settle properly, but hsouldn't have any effect on its hardening ability. It sounds llike perhaps the paint and hardener weren't mixed thoroughly, or that the hardener has been adversely affected while in it's container by the cold recently. I'd to throw out my hardener this month. 2 litres into the bin (It had actually hardened into a solid).

After 1 day the paint should be solid, 3 days would indicate problems with the mix itself. Or perhaps as other posters have said, an issue with the paint type - they they sell you basecoat and you thought it was 2k?

• Advertisement

Owen wrote: »
    10% thinners will help the paint to flow and settle properly, but hsouldn't have any effect on its hardening ability. It sounds llike perhaps the paint and hardener weren't mixed thoroughly, or that the hardener has been adversely affected while in it's container by the cold recently. I'd to throw out my hardener this month. 2 litres into the bin (It had actually hardened into a solid).

After 1 day the paint should be solid, 3 days would indicate problems with the mix itself. Or perhaps as other posters have said, an issue with the paint type - they they sell you basecoat and you thought it was 2k?

I told my supplier I wanted 2 pack and hardener. On the hardener it says its an activator and on the paint it gives me a ral number and a few other things that I cant remember ha

The paint should say that's either pc (pre cat) or ac (acid catalyst this is two pack)
    Check what the tin says

The paint should say that's either pc (pre cat) or ac (acid catalyst this is two pack)
    Check what the tin says

Ok on the paint tin it says. 2 pack acrylic polyurethane acrylic base. and Gives the RAL number.
    The Hardener says. 2 K Fast Activator For Acrylic C.V Base

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭iron man

do you mind me asking, how much is 2 litres of the 2 pack paint and the hardener???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

OP , how did this work out for you ?

• Advertisement

OP , how did this work out for you ?

Sorry for the huge delay. Have been offline for awhile.
    The paint eventually set. It took about a month to fully harden. I later found out it was due to a bad batch of Primer i was sold.

Advertisement