Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which is superior Quality street,Celebration,Heroes or Roses?

• 04-01-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭

Celebrations ftw!:)

Your favourite one? 148 votes

Quality street
    0% 0 votes
    Celebration
    23% 35 votes
    Heroes
    50% 75 votes
    Roses
    25% 38 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

they are all ****e!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

Heroes for me.

My perfect pack would be composed of dairy milk, galaxy, maltesers, eclairs and twirl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Meh!
    Swiss handmade luxury DHL imported chocs for the win! :D

Seriously though - Roses!

LINDT LINDOR ftw! :cool: jesus h christ those swiss cant half make smooth choclate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Roses hands down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Pft, I didn't get fat by being choosy. I'll even scoff down the coffee sweets.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Pft, I didn't get fat by being choosy. I'll even scoff down the coffee sweets.

:eek: The coffee sweets are the best part!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The best of that bad lot are Roses, but they are all sickly sweet, mass produced processed shite masquerading as chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Quality street. The description is in the name. I eat all the gooey ones like the strawberry and orange ones. Then when they are gone its on to the caramel barrels, then it's on to the purple caramel ones with the nut in them.

Then I just give the rest to visitors I dont like. :pac:

:eek: The coffee sweets are the best part!!

do they still have them :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

No more bourneville in Roses. mucho sad.
    celebrations are awful - goddawful in the case of the little twix and malteaser sweets.
    Heroes. don't know what they are.
    Quality Street, for some reason, I associate with west brits. Protestant sweets that probably play rugby and welcomed the queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I still say Roses, though they're far inferior in terms of both taste and selection compared to the past.

Quality Street are now a very close second (their fudge sweet in the pink wrapper is way nicer than the Cadbury's one!), beaten only because Cadbury's chocolate is still much nicer.
    But in the past I probably would've thrown a tantrum if my parents bought Quality Street for Christmas instead of Roses.
    Now I can imagine a Christmas without Roses quite easily, sadly.

Saila wrote: »
    do they still have them :confused:

Not in Quality Street anyway........I had a deprived Christmas.....no Roses :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

Heroes!

Not in Quality Street anyway........I had a deprived Christmas.....no Roses :(

not in roses either, I still have a pack somewhere none of the 7 packs and boxes of lindt lindor though, which tells you everything you need to know about how FCUKIN good that chocolate is..

oh I know, I need a doorstop problem solved!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

I prefer Quality Street, Heroes and Roses because they are all British.

And us Brits eat more chocolate per capita than any other nation.

the stone roses

Batsy wrote: »

Mmm, delicious British cocoa beans: thank you Kraft and Nestlé!

Eh...well done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Celebrations are the best cos they have Maltesers and Galaxy chocolate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

If my Shit was British, you'd probably eat that too. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Quality Street: Too many toffees. Only 1 decent one, the purple one.
    Roses: The worst by a mile. Horrible chocolate that has the texture of wax. Wouldnt give them to the dog
    Heroes: Not bad, but boring selection
    Celebrations: Winners by a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Roses, nom nom :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

Mmm, delicious British cocoa beans: thank you Kraft and Nestlé!

Last time I checked, Roses were manufactured by Cadbury's and have been for a long time. Cadbury's may have very recently been taken over by Kraft but I still consider it to be very much a British company and it is still headquartered in Britain. Heroes are also manufactured by Cadbury's.

Quality Street may be manufactured by Nestle now but they are as British as Coronation Street. Quality Street was first manufactured in Halifax in Yorkshire in 1936 by John Mackintosh & Co, which eventually merged with another British company, Rowntree's (which gave us the likes of Fruit Pastilles). Despite having been taken over by Nestle in 1988 Rowntree's is headquarted in York and Quality Street are manufactured in Halifax, where they have always been made. In Western Norway, Quality Street is called "Shetlandsgodt" (Shetland Sweets), because it often was brought home by fishermen visiting Shetland. In Iceland it is traditionally known as "Mackintosh."

So, Roses, Heroes and Quality Street are still as British as they were when they were first made.

That explains the teeth.

Last time I checked, Roses were manufactured by Cadbury's and have been for a long time. Cadbury's may have very recently been taken over by Kraft but I still consider it to be very much a British company and it is still headquartered in Britain. Heroes are also manufactured by Cadbury's.

Quality Street may be manufactured by Nestle now but they are as British as Coronation Street. Quality Street was first manufactured in Halifax in Yorkshire in 1936 by John Mackintosh & Co, which eventually merged with another British company, Rowntree's (which gave us the likes of Fruit Pastilles). Despite having been taken over by Nestle in 1988 Rowntree's is headquarted in York and Quality Street are manufactured in Halifax, where they have always been made. In Western Norway, Quality Street is called "Shetlandsgodt" (Shetland Sweets), because it often was brought home by fishermen visiting Shetland. In Iceland it is traditionally known as "Mackintosh."

So, Roses, Heroes and Quality Street are still as British as they were when they were first made.

Fair enough, but I personally wouldn't base my preferences for chocolate on where they were manufactured, unless it was a country with a particularly good reputation for chocolate recipes (Switzerland, Belgium) or a particularly bad one to be avoided (the U.S).

Quality Street are so bad nowadays that they should have to change their name to "Shít Street".

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Has to be celebrations..

Galaxy Truffle,
    Galxy Caramel.
    Malteasers

All unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I can't decide I like them all....I am between Quality Street and Roses one of them is more superior in terms of how the chocolate tastes. They have each got that different taste of chocolate......with that ooomh. Ah I got with quality street so!:D

Quality street has better chocolate taste but I do admit that Celebrations and Roses have nicer fillings....mmmmm I can't decide I love all chocolate nestle, cadburys, mars, lindor, lily o brien's, buttlers........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    Has to be celebrations..

Galaxy Truffle,
    Galxy Caramel.
    Malteasers

All unreal!

I hate to break it to you, but they got rid of the Galaxy truffle. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Roses but only for the strawberry and orange creme ones and the caramel barrells. At the opening of every tin of Roses i will grab everyone of those bad boys and retreat to a safe place where i can devour them all while leaving all the crappy Roses for everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Has to be heroes.

doovdela wrote: »
    Quality street has better chocolate taste but I do admit that Celebrations and Roses have nicer fillings....mmmmm I can't decide I love all chocolate nestle, cadburys, mars, lindor, lily o brien's, buttlers........

If you see them, get the Lindor Irish Cream. Savagely good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Kadent

I've eaten an entire tin of each less the roses and I'm going with hero's purely based on the creme egg addition. Celebrations comes a close second with the teaster things.

I've also managed to lose 2lb over christmas by living on a diet of purely these three items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭_Godot_

We always get Quality Street (I love the toffee ones) but I also love Heroes. And Celebrations sound good! My least fave (but won't turn down) would be Roses then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Terry's chocolate orange segments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

galaxy truffle celebration.

that is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 inthefade

WTF?! How are Roses not winning?! BLASPHEMY. :D

Burgo wrote: »
    I hate to break it to you, but they got rid of the Galaxy truffle. :(

Aww no, use to like that. No mistletoe kisses by galaxy this year! Loved it the past few years! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Quality Street: Too many toffees. Only 1 decent one, the purple one.
    Roses: The worst by a mile. Horrible chocolate that has the texture of wax. Wouldnt give them to the dog
    Heroes: Not bad, but boring selection
    Celebrations: Winners by a mile.

You shouldn't give chocolate to a dog. Mind you, theres such little chocolate in roses these days it would probably do the dog no harm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

For taste I would rank Heroes at the top of this list. Roses are OK but are inferior to the way they were years back. The Galaxy and Teasers in Heroes pushes it over the line for me.:D

"Quality" Street is a misnomer - they are horrible, rank, cheap so-called chocolates. Bottom of the list for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

Celebrations >= QS > Roses >> Heroes
    I'd call Quality Street sweets, the others chocolate, though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I like Roses but there's always a good few I don't like and go to waste.
    I love Celebrations, but again, there's about 4 that I don't like.

At least with After Eights/Ferrero Rocher, every sweet is the same so if you like them you can eat them all. (.. and by God, I can and will..)

I still say 'Roses' out of the poll choice, though- but they are a lot crappier than they once were.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

Quality Street are a poor man's roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

No more bourneville in Roses. mucho sad.
    celebrations are awful - goddawful in the case of the little twix and malteaser sweets.
    Heroes. don't know what they are.
    Quality Street, for some reason, I associate with west brits. Protestant sweets that probably play rugby and welcomed the queen.

I agree. They're church of Ireland sweets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

* Maltesers Teaser (C)
    * Hazel in Caramel (R)
    * Milk Chocolate Hazelnut with caramel (QS)
    * Hazel Whirl (R)
    * Chocolate Toffee Finger (QS)
    * Toffee Penny (QS)
    * Country Fudge (R)
    * Chocolate Noisette Pate (QS)
    * Bounty (C)
    * Fudge (MH)
    * Vanilla Fudge (QS)
    * Brazilian Darkness (R)
    * Orange Crunch (QS)
    * Snickers (C)
    * Milky Way (C)
    * Mars (C)
    * Dairy Milk (R)
    * Dairy Milk (MH)
    * Twirl (MH)
    * Toffee Deluxe (QS)
    * Coconut Eclair (QS)
    * Golden Barrel (R)
    * Dairy Milk Caramel (MH)
    * Galaxy Caramel (C)
    * Caramel Swirl (QS)
    * Caramel Velvet (R)
    * Twix (C)
    * Milk Choc Block (QS)
    * Eclair (MH)
    * Strawberry Dream (R)
    * Creme Egg Twisted (MH)
    * Galaxy (C)
    * Tangy Orange Creme (R)
    * Strawberry Delight (QS)
    * Orange Creme (QS)

I picked Roses, but association may have a lot to do with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 El_Paolo

Quality Street, purely for the toffees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Roses but only for the strawberry and orange creme ones and the caramel barrells. At the opening of every tin of Roses i will grab everyone of those bad boys and retreat to a safe place where i can devour them all while leaving all the crappy Roses for everyone else.

Oooh, very sneaky. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

You missed the "Atari Jaguar" option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Celebrations then Heroes.
    Not a fan of the others at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement