Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Just wondering, how long would you think it's OK to let a ten-week-old nap in a bouncer during the day? Or is it best not to let him sleep there at all, and put him in his cot/carrycot every time? It's this one. It's really hard to predict his nap times, so I'm never sure if he's just dozing off for a few minutes or if he'll be in there a while ... I hate waking him to move him though! :o

we got that one as it was all fancy looking the last time and thought it would be nice to have a 2nd. He had grown well out of it by 6 weeks. I let him use it for little naps but used our other bouncer for naps all the time for all 3 of them as it went flat and brought it absolutely everywhere with us.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Just looking for opinions or experiences or anything!!

J is 18 weeks and goin through the sleep regression. The thing is at night he seems unsettled and uncomfortable for the entire night and whinges. Anyone else's baby like this? He also farts alot at these times. And he is teething!! I'm not sure what is actually bothering him. I end up feeding him to settle him but this didn't even work last night. Mostly he is not bothered feeding. During the day he is pretty happy. Sleep deprivation is starting to kick in for me now though!

It might just be trapped wind,if you put a cushion under his mattress and elevate him slightly it might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

My little man had his first swing to face incident tonight :-( I don't know what those swings are made of but my god there was blood everywhere. Poor guy as a big fat lip :-( I'm sure there will be plenty more of those...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Just saw the Royal family selfie, and little george has a Sophie la Giraffe, our babies are playing like royalty, he he!

Oh no, Emmadilemma, poor thing! I hate when L gets bumps, the scream is awful, isn't it?

Just saw the Royal family selfie, and little george has a Sophie la Giraffe, our babies are playing like royalty, he he!

Oh no, Emmadilemma, poor thing! I hate when L gets bumps, the scream is awful, isn't it?

I know he has had falls and bumps before but this was the first time that he was actually bleeding. It's gone down now but the cut along his lip looks really nasty. He really loved all the attention though lol I sat him up on the counter and gave him a drink of water and he said "this is barium, it's a drink the doctors give you to make you better" I thought he was just making it up but then my mam was here and he asked for more barium and my mam cracked up laughing. It's apparantely a real thing. I genuinely don't know where he picks these things up.

My MIL said to me once that she thinks he has lived before and I'm starting to think she might be right. He was explaining what a trapezoid is to me the other day?!? Little genius lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

And the last molar has broken through. My little girl has finished teething! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Off to the docs with J today, high temp, not eating, vomiting what he does eat & non stop coughing.
    Oh yeah & I'm getting married tomorrow :eek:

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Off to the docs with J today, high temp, not eating, vomiting what he does eat & non stop coughing.
    Oh yeah & I'm getting married tomorrow :eek:

Oh jeez that's the last thing you need :-( how high is the temp? I think I said this before but my son had a high temp before and I was alternating between calpol and Nurofen and it wouldn't come down. After 1 trip to ddoc and 2 to my gp temple street gave him a paralink and it came down immediately. Now I always have them in the house.

My son was sick on my wedding day and my poor mam was minding him on the day and missed half of the day. She went to bed with him at around 9 and when she brought him back to me the next morning and he had FIVE new teeth. Completely bizarre...

Apart from sick baby are you all set? God it's so exciting :-D I would love to do if again lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Oh no ms poor J. But i also recommend paralink. When A was real unwell i was doin exact same alternating between the other 2 for 2 days but once i got paralink it came down.

Hope he improves asap. And best of luck tomorrow.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I found calpol didnt work on my baby, but neurofen and paralink were brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Good luck for tomorrow ms!

Neurofen and paralink would be more efficient antipyretics than calpol. Neurofen is longer lasting and paralink is absorbed more efficiently as it is a suppository. But just remember uou can't give calpol and paralink together as they are basically both paracetamol.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Good luck for tomorrow ms!

Neurofen and paralink would be more efficient antipyretics than calpol. Neurofen is longer lasting and paralink is absorbed more efficiently as it is a suppository. But just remember uou can't give calpol and neurofen together as they are basically both paracetamol.

yep but on one particularly high temp, a GP did give me the go ahead to alternate between Neurofen and Paralink, meaning I could give max dosage of each in one day. I only would do it if he is very sick and only with the GP's say-so though.

Neyite wrote: »
    yep but on one particularly high temp, a GP did give me the go ahead to alternate between Neurofen and Paralink, meaning I could give max dosage of each in one day. I only would do it if he is very sick and only with the GP's say-so though.

Sorry Neyite I actually meant to say you can't give paralink and calpol together as they are essentially both paracetamol. Alternating neurofen with calpol or neurofen with paralink is fine. Just not calpol with paralink. :). If LO has a bad fever i often use both neurofen with a paracetamol based medication to bring down his temp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Thanks guys, docs appointment in half hour so I'll see what he says & gets some paralink on the way home as nothing is bringing his temp down so far.
    Supposed to check into the hotel at 5:30 with my bridesmaid but feel like crying at the thoughts of leaving him.
    Only good thing is I haven't had the chance to get nervous for tomorrow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, docs appointment in half hour so I'll see what he says & gets some paralink on the way home as nothing is bringing his temp down so far.
    Supposed to check into the hotel at 5:30 with my bridesmaid but feel like crying at the thoughts of leaving him.
    Only good thing is I haven't had the chance to get nervous for tomorrow!!

Stay with him for as long as you need to ms. Tomorrow is about your family unit so do whatever it is that makes you enjoy the day. Have a wonderful time. I'm sure we'll all be thinking of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My doctor told me that calpol is useless on a temp of 39 or higher. He told me to use paralink suppositories as they get into the system really quickly. We always have some at home now.

My son had a high temp for 24 hours with tonsillitis before Christmas and it'd have been a lot worse without paralink.

Btw Ms2011 I hope he settles down a bit with paralink, nurofen and whatever medication he needs if any.

Enjoy your big day tomorrow :)

Enjoy your day tomorrow Ms2011 and I hope your little man feels better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Have a brilliant day ms and hope your little man is better!

• Advertisement

Have a great day, Ms! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Enjoy your day Ms x

Hope you have a brilliant day Ms2011 :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Hope your little guy is feeling better and you have a fantastic day Ms2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Good luck today MS2011! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Hope you are having a fab day MS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Have a great day Ms2011.

I hope your little one is feeling better.

Hi ladies, regarding wipes... What age were your LOs when you started to use wipes on them? I honestly can't remember with my first and he's only 15months! I think we used the cotton wool and water on him for a good while tho before using wipes. My second was only born Monday but I have to say the cotton wool and water is
    a pain in the arse!!!! Prob should keep using it for a while tho... I think she might have sensitive skin compared to my fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Hi ladies, regarding wipes... What age were your LOs when you started to use wipes on them? I honestly can't remember with my first and he's only 15months! I think we used the cotton wool and water on him for a good while tho before using wipes. My second was only born Monday but I have to say the cotton wool and water is
    a pain in the arse!!!! Prob should keep using it for a while tho... I think she might have sensitive skin compared to my fella.

I started I'd say about a week after we came home from the hospital but to be honest if I'm ever lucky enough to have a second baby I'd probably use them earlier. I use the Huggies pure wipes and they are labelled as "gentle cleaning like cotton wool and water" . :)

Oh and congratulations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I used them from when we came home from hospital ... Possibly even before then. Never had a trace of irritation. We use Simple ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Didn't bother with cotton wool and water on my second or third and won't on my fourth either... Used wipes in hospital... Nurses tutted but nothing they could do.

Am I the only one that finds cotton pads and water better??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I used water wipes from the outset. Hold no truck with cotton wool and water. Midwives never commented thank god, I was worried they'd give out to me. Congrats on the new arrival :-) I remember you had started the thread on hospital bags. Hope everything went well :-)

Am I the only one that finds cotton pads and water better??

One of the few I think.

I used wipes from day 1. Started with sensitive ones but by month 2 was using normal ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I must be the only one who likes cotton wool and water! I fill up a Chinese take away lunch box with water in the morning put on lid and leave it sealed at changing table! For a number two or middle of night nappy changes I use wipes the huggies pure ones. I used water wipes for the first week and midwives told me you can use them! I made a batch of my own too and they were fab but I just haven't gotten around to it again! Get the huggies pure in bulk from amazon!

I used cotton pads on my son because the wool balls are a nightmare. Then switched to water wipes. On my daughter I got this brilliant roll of Huggies cotton pads. They are just baby wipes but they come dry and you wet them yourself. Just tear them straight off the roll. Thought they were brill and then onto water wipes again at about 1 week

Big congrats by the way! Hope you didn't have too much of a tough time :-D

These are the dry wipes. It's very hard to rip them off with one hand though so would def recommend tearing them off the roll before nappy comes off :-D http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Huggies-Cotton-Soft-Sheets-Dry-Wipes-Packs-of-60-/160988821703

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Really not understanding the vast difference in sizes of baby clothes. E was born 5 lb 8 the other day and has dropped to 5 lb 2, so we know we need them on smaller side.

But genuinely wondering if some shops are using baby sumo wrestlers to measure newborn etc. Currently putting on the very last item of clothing that fits our tiny baby - some of the newborn stuff is baggy but fits but others are ridiculous! We have baby gros in 0-3 months that are smaller!

Really not understanding the vast difference in sizes of baby clothes. E was born 5 lb 8 the other day and has dropped to 5 lb 2, so we know we need them on smaller side.

But genuinely wondering if some shops are using baby sumo wrestlers to measure newborn etc. Currently putting on the very last item of clothing that fits our tiny baby - some of the newborn stuff is baggy but fits but others are ridiculous! We have baby gros in 0-3 months that are smaller!

I agree completely! I found penneys ran smallest, followed by dunnes, next, tesco. They all have a different definition of sizes. I preferred penneys newborn stuff for that reason. You'll be shocked at how quickly your lo's babygrows become too tight though :-) congrats on the new arrival!

• Advertisement

Congratulations on the new arrival :-) Have a look on the tags In next because their newborn comes in 2 different sizes depending on weight. It took me having a second baby to realise this and thought all the newborn stuff was the same size lol couldn't understand why 1 newborn babygro fit and another would be swinging off him

I don't know if babies in Ireland are bigger but I find the Irish baby clothes are much bigger than the clothes for babies of the same age in France. L is still in Irish clothes meant for 18 month olds but he can't fit into ones meant for 2 year olds from the French shops!

I think French baby clothes are generally smaller. Any French baby clothes I ever got were tinchy and could be used as the size before what it says on the label.

Most Irish baby clothes are sold in the uk market too and penny's and dunnes have Spanish on the labels so not sure if they're sold in Spain too.

Maybe it's an Irish thing but not because the babies are bigger lol anyone else get a massive school uniform to get "the wear" out of it? Lol

Maybe it's an Irish thing but not because the babies are bigger lol anyone else get a massive school uniform to get "the wear" out of it? Lol
    Haha yeah, giant clown shoes and hems tacked up!

kandr10 wrote: »
    I used water wipes from the outset. Hold no truck with cotton wool and water. Midwives never commented thank god, I was worried they'd give out to me. Congrats on the new arrival :-) I remember you had started the thread on hospital bags. Hope everything went well :-)

Thanks for the replies everyone. And thanks for the congratulations :). We're gonna stick to the water and cotton wool for a couple days just because her bums a bit red. But bought water wipes yesterday and will use them for a week or so before we move to the regular wipes I think. Just because I think her skin is a bit more sensitive than my boy. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Would it be worth buying some in the "tiny baby" size? I've seen that in the shops, it's smaller than newborn, not sure exactly what weight range it's for though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Happy mothers day to all the mammys.

I got the best present imaginable at 4.09 this morning when my lil mam was born.

Cant wait for him to meet his big sis.

Suucee wrote: »

I got the best present imaginable at 4.09 this morning when my lil mam was born.

Awwww congratulations! Great news! Hope it wasn't too rough and your recovering well. It's mad how much you miss the little ones at home when a new baby arrives. Hope you have a great day with your little bundle

Suucee wrote: »

What a lovely present :-) big congrats :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement