Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Congratulations Suucee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Congratulations succee! What a gift:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Congrats suucee!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Congrats to you Suucee!

Did any of you experience that your baby wanted to sit straight upright or stand up early on? Our little guy is 3.5 months and for some time now, he refuses to sit lying back - he will try to push his head and shoulders forward, so I have to sit him up on my lap. When I do that he's grand and he sits bolt upright, with me holding him on both sides so he can't topple over. I am just worried that it's too early for him to be sitting like that - but if he himself wants to do it, then I think maybe it's OK for him, no?
    The same with standing - if he's not sitting upright, he wants to stand on my lap with me holding him. My hubby got the ''he''ll be bow-legged' remark from his mother about that one, but others say that's an old wives tale...

Anyone got any experience with this? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Congrats to you Suucee!

Did any of you experience that your baby wanted to sit straight upright or stand up early on? Our little guy is 3.5 months and for some time now, he refuses to sit lying back - he will try to push his head and shoulders forward, so I have to sit him up on my lap. When I do that he's grand and he sits bolt upright, with me holding him on both sides so he can't topple over. I am just worried that it's too early for him to be sitting like that - but if he himself wants to do it, then I think maybe it's OK for him, no?
    The same with standing - if he's not sitting upright, he wants to stand on my lap with me holding him. My hubby got the ''he''ll be bow-legged' remark from his mother about that one, but others say that's an old wives tale...

My little boy was exactly the same. He is always on the go. I got the standing too early will make him bow legged as well...just nod and smile andkeep ddoing what makes baby happy and keeps them quiet. The few minutes baby stands on his feet won't damage his legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Congrats to you Suucee!

My little boy was exactly the same. He is always on the go. I got the standing too early will make him bow legged as well...just nod and smile andkeep ddoing what makes baby happy and keeps them quiet. The few minutes baby stands on his feet won't damage his legs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Congrats to you Suucee!

My little guy is 10 weeks old and he is doing this! Cant keep him still, as I type he is in his bouncer knocking sh*t out of the toys hanging down from it! Crazy baby!!!

Cunning stunt my little girl was the same. Very nosey from the get go and hated lying down. She's 2 now and doesn't have bow legs or hasn't suffered from sitting up supported from early on :)

Thanks all. He's the same at the dinner table - we have a lie-back chair that we sit him in on top of the table, so he can be there when we are eating, but he tires of it fast. He much prefers sitting up on my knee at the table. I don't know if this means he is able for his high chair now - what did you guys do - what age did you have them in their high chairs at?
    We have one from ikea with an inflatable cushion support, but we havn't put him in it yet....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Thanks all. He's the same at the dinner table - we have a lie-back chair that we sit him in on top of the table, so he can be there when we are eating, but he tires of it fast. He much prefers sitting up on my knee at the table. I don't know if this means he is able for his high chair now - what did you guys do - what age did you have them in their high chairs at?
    We have one from ikea with an inflatable cushion support, but we havn't put him in it yet....

My 4 month old has been the very same as yours for the last while. Must be the year for strong babies!! I have the insert for high chair too and was thinking of trying him in it. But I don't know. Are they allowed in things other than their bouncers now? I have one of those rings but I'm afraid if will topple it over as he's very strong.

My 4 month old has been the very same as yours for the last while. Must be the year for strong babies!! I have the insert for high chair too and was thinking of trying him in it. But I don't know. Are they allowed in things other than their bouncers now? I have one of those rings but I'm afraid if will topple it over as he's very strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Suucee wrote: »
    Happy mothers day to all the mammys.

I got the best present imaginable at 4.09 this morning when my lil mam was born.

Cant wait for him to meet his big sis.

Congrats to you and the family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Congrats Suucee xxx

My daughter was in a high chair fro 4 months and she loved being able to look around. She's always been very strong and was also sitting very straight and strong on my knee from around 4 months too.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Im due back at work soon. Someone told me I will be paying more tax when I go back. Is this true ? I was just getting maternity benefit while on maternity leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Im due back at work soon. Someone told me I will be paying more tax when I go back. Is this true ? I was just getting maternity benefit while on maternity leave.

I work in payroll and I can't see any reason why you would!

• Advertisement

Ok great thanks. I thought it sounded strange alright!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I work in payroll and I can't see any reason why you would!

You don't pay USC or PRSI on maternity benefit (you do pay tax though). The difference is the that USC and PRSI will be deducted now- whereas they wouldn't have been on Mat pay. Note- these came in in the payroll changes implemented on the 1st of July last year (2013).

So does this mean my wages will be down when I go back?

You don't pay USC or PRSI on maternity benefit (you do pay tax though). The difference is the that USC and PRSI will be deducted now- whereas they wouldn't have been on Mat pay. Note- these came in in the payroll changes implemented on the 1st of July last year (2013).

But she was only getting maternity benefit, she wasn't being paid? So when she goes back to work, her pay shouldn't be affected? (I may be wrong here, but that's my understanding!)

But she was only getting maternity benefit, she wasn't being paid? So when she goes back to work, her pay shouldn't be affected? (I may be wrong here, but that's my understanding!)

Normally (it depends on the company of course)- they top up pay to normal levels and specify that the mat ben gets paid to the company instead of the recipient. The Mat Ben element of the pay is taxed, but does not attract USC or PRSI deductions- the other portion of the pay receives the standard deductions. So- pay would be reduced by the amount of PRSI and USC that would be associated with the assessed Mat Ben applicable to the mother- as this portion of their pay would now attract those deductions, while as Mat Ben it didn't.

It depends on numerous factors- but in general you would expect to be paying 4% PRSI and 7% USC on your income (ignoring tax)- so providing the employer was topping up the employees salary, as most do- the reduction in pay would be 11% of what the Mat Ben portion of the pay was.

lolademmers really needs to contact her payroll section for clarification- because it depends on numerous factors- not least of which is the manner in which her employer topped up her Mat Pay, whether unpaid leave was taken (which could mean tax credits are applicable to the remainder of the year) etc etc etc

Outside of this- the Mat Ben is taxable (just not USC and PRSI)- so if tax wasn't being deducted at source- the tax due would be due on the Mat Ben- which could potentially be deducted from future pay.

Its only since July last year that Mat Ben was taxable income :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

So does this mean my wages will be down when I go back?

Surely if you weren't getting any pay from your employer while off on maternity leave you wouldn't be paying any more than usual? When I went back I was getting less but that's only because it was before the new tax on mat ben came in so while I was on maternity leave I was actually getting way more than I normally would and then went back to normal wage when I returned.

Normally (it depends on the company of course)- they top up pay to normal levels and specify that the mat ben gets paid to the company instead of the recipient. The Mat Ben element of the pay is taxed, but does not attract USC or PRSI deductions- the other portion of the pay receives the standard deductions. So- pay would be reduced by the amount of PRSI and USC that would be associated with the assessed Mat Ben applicable to the mother- as this portion of their pay would now attract those deductions, while as Mat Ben it didn't.

It depends on numerous factors- but in general you would expect to be paying 4% PRSI and 7% USC on your income (ignoring tax)- so providing the employer was topping up the employees salary, as most do- the reduction in pay would be 11% of what the Mat Ben portion of the pay was.

lolademmers really needs to contact her payroll section for clarification- because it depends on numerous factors- not least of which is the manner in which her employer topped up her Mat Pay, whether unpaid leave was taken (which could mean tax credits are applicable to the remainder of the year) etc etc etc

Outside of this- the Mat Ben is taxable (just not USC and PRSI)- so if tax wasn't being deducted at source- the tax due would be due on the Mat Ben- which could potentially be deducted from future pay.

Its only since July last year that Mat Ben was taxable income :(

Ah I wouldn't say that's the way it's normally done ... that's the way we do it where I work (my maternity benefit gets paid directly to them, and I get paid same as usual), but I think it's the exception rather than the rule in the private sector.

She did say above that she was only getting maternity benefit, not getting paid by her employer (or at least that was my understanding.) So, when she goes back to work, I can't see any reason she wouldn't get paid the same net amount as she had been getting prior to going on leave.

Yes it's just maternity benefit I'm getting. No top up from my employer unfortunately !

Have you been paying tax on the Mat Ben? If not- depending on how you have decided to pay the tax due- it could be deducted at source from your salary over the remainder of the year.

I had thought that most companies topped up Mat Ben and had the DSFA sum paid over directly to them- which aside from anything else, makes it easy for you to pay over the tax due at source as you go along.

So- in short- if tax has not been paid over (or deducted) on the Mat Ben it would be due over the remainder of the tax year (and it would be advisable to request a balancing statement for last year).

Sorry you didn't get an employer top-up- I thought most employers did that........ sorry!

No need to apologise you're not my employer LOL!! I know more people who don't get top ups from their employer than I know people who do if that makes sense.
    Im getting €262 a week so I presume I'm not paying any tax. Will ring work today to see what the story is.

Bug in the house alert *crying face* little man was unsettled Sunday night so I slept in with him and barely got a wink and then he spewed all over the bed at 4.30 am and I was up for work at 6 so no chance of getting back to sleep after the clean up. Worked 8 to 7 that day and came home absolutely shattered. Little man was wired until 10pm from all his sleeping during the day and I was desperate for sleep. Went down with him again last night at 10 and at 2 he spewed all over the bed again. Mattress etc needed to be cleaned and flipped and new bed sheets etc etc. Back up for work at 6 this morning and finished at 7 again. I'm on my last legs. If there is spew tonight I swear I'm sleeping in it lol zzzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Bug in the house alert *crying face* little man was unsettled Sunday night so I slept in with him and barely got a wink and then he spewed all over the bed at 4.30 am and I was up for work at 6 so no chance of getting back to sleep after the clean up. Worked 8 to 7 that day and came home absolutely shattered. Little man was wired until 10pm from all his sleeping during the day and I was desperate for sleep. Went down with him again last night at 10 and at 2 he spewed all over the bed again. Mattress etc needed to be cleaned and flipped and new bed sheets etc etc. Back up for work at 6 this morning and finished at 7 again. I'm on my last legs. If there is spew tonight I swear I'm sleeping in it lol zzzzzzzzzzz

That sounds exhausting - I actually fear the thoughts of the tiredness!! And having to get up to change the bed etc is just painful at that hour! Hope no repeat performance!

My 2 year old has croup :( so actually could be a long night here yet too!

Sorry to hear about the sick smallies. I hope they get better soon.

Bug in the house alert *crying face* little man was unsettled Sunday night so I slept in with him upnd barely got a wink and then he spewed all over the bed at 4.30 am and I was up for work at 6 so no chance of getting back to sleep after the clean up. Worked 8 to 7 that day and came home absolutely shattered. Little man was wired until 10pm from all his sleeping during the day and I was desperate for sleep. Went down with him again last night at 10 and at 2 he spewed all over the bed again. Mattress etc needed to be cleaned and flipped and new bed sheets etc etc. Back up for work at 6 this morning and finished at 7 again. I'm on my last legs. If there is spew tonight I swear I'm sleeping in it lol zzzzzzzzzzz

I've slept in spew! Brought a towel to bed every other night to put under him!! Hope you get some sleep. My 4 month old is keeping us awake but at least I'm not back in work yet!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I read a good tip elsewhere - layer towels and sheets so that if they do get sick during the night, you remove the soiled sheet+towel and there is a clean sheet and towel underneath all ready for sleeping in. Repeat for as many layers as you think you might need.

Much quicker than rooting through a hot press at stupid o'clock. Lots of nightwear at the ready too, as well as drinking water for sips, wipes and hand sanitiser.

Poor dotes. :(

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    I read a good tip elsewhere - layer towels and sheets so that if they do get sick during the night, you remove the soiled sheet+towel and there is a clean sheet and towel underneath all ready for sleeping in. Repeat for as many layers as you think you might need.

Much quicker than rooting through a hot press at stupid o'clock. Lots of nightwear at the ready too, as well as drinking water for sips, wipes and hand sanitiser.

Poor dotes. :(

Ok so the little fella only woke at 5 to get sick but I woke at 2 spewing my guts up. Woeful headache and pains down my jaw and neck. This is just awful I think I need to give work a miss today

Yuck, you poor thing. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Ok so the little fella only woke at 5 to get sick but I woke at 2 spewing my guts up. Woeful headache and pains down my jaw and neck. This is just awful I think I need to give work a miss today

You definitely need to give work a skip! Hope you feel better soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Yo combat wet sheets/mattresses get soiling sheets from the vet or pet store.
    We use them to toilet train our son in bed at night. Put it over the sheet so he sleeps on it.
    If it's wet it's just a case of dumping it in the bin and everything underneath is dry.

He has scarlet fever at the moment. :(

Yo combat wet sheets/mattresses get soiling sheets from the vet or pet store.
    We use them to toilet train our son in bed at night. Put it over the sheet so he sleeps on it.
    If it's wet it's just a case of dumping it in the bin and everything underneath is dry.

He has scarlet fever at the moment. :(

Oh no the poor little thing :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I bought two mattress protectors for the cot, stops the mattress getting wrecked if there is any kind of accident. They are more absorbent cotton than plasticky so they aren't uncomfortable to sleep in, if you get me.

Hope all the sick babies get well soon!

L had carnival yesterday at the creche, dying to see the pictures! He was all excited when he got home, trying to tell us about it!

I hope all the sick babies (and mamas) feel better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

kandr10 wrote: »
    I used water wipes from the outset. Hold no truck with cotton wool and water. Midwives never commented thank god, I was worried they'd give out to me. Congrats on the new arrival :-) I remember you had started the thread on hospital bags. Hope everything went well :-)

Thank you for this!!! Been using the water wipes and they are a god send!!! I think I would've gone insane using cotton wool and water with all the pooing she's doing! :)

I feel like a real eejit :( The health nurse was here and I was telling her how the baby is mad about the telly - he'll sit or stand on my lap and he'll be glued to it. She said under no circumstances is he to be watching the tv when he's only 4 months, it's too over-stimulating. I hope we havn't done him any damage!

• Advertisement

I feel like a real eejit :( The health nurse was here and I was telling her how the baby is mad about the telly - he'll sit or stand on my lap and he'll be glued to it. She said under no circumstances is he to be watching the tv when he's only 4 months, it's too over-stimulating. I hope we havn't done him any damage!

The more time goes on, the more things I hear we've been doing totally wrong all along! And I'm like, "oops". Sure nothing you can do at this stage, and he's obviously fine! You can change it, if you like, or not, if it's what's working for you.

He is perfect, and will be perfect. :)

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I suppose we learn new things every day.

I still think he really likes the TV - he'd watch the morning aerobics program standing up on my knee and his little legs would be flying, as if he was trying to do the aerobics himself LOL. But we will try to limit his 'exposure' to it now I suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bloody public health nurses.

Just smile and nod and wait for them to leave. You will never have a public health nurse come to your house and tell you everything is OK, you're doing great. Because then they don't feel like they're doing their job.
    Speaking to all of the parents I know, every single one of them will say that the PHN consistently use their visits to find faults and make criticisms. Plenty of them are perfectly nice people, but it's ingrained in the job to give you criticism.

If you're happy that your child is happy and well, then ignore whatever the PHN says. If you ask a different health nurse for their opinion, you will get a different answer.
    If the PHN is actually concerned about anything, they will advise you to go to a doctor or other specialist.

I remember when our little one was new enough, we were lamenting the fact that feeds took up to an hour, and then she'd fall asleep and become cranky when woken up for her next feed an hour later. The PHN was adamant that we just had to suffer through it, "to keep her weight up".
    A week or so later we went to see a specialist about a minor postnatal issue, and when just making smalltalk and mentioning the lack of sleep because we had to wake her up, the specialist and her assistant nurse were aghast that someone had told us to wake the child. "Let her sleep, she's big and healthy enough". We actually skipped out of that appointment, delighted that a medical professional has given us the green light to let the baby sleep.

The journey as a new parent is actually quite incredible. The amount of conflicting opinion that medical professionals give you, disguised as medical fact, is quite astounding. It's already a stressful and confusing time, and doctors and nurses do zero to help with that. Instead they give you a list of dos and don'ts, which conflicts entirely with the 20 lists of dos and don'ts that the HSE and other professionals have given you.
    By the second and subsequent children I'm sure you learn what does and doesn't work and take all medical opinions as just that, rather than "doctor's orders".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

seamus wrote: »
    I remember when our little one was new enough, we were lamenting the fact that feeds took up to an hour, and then she'd fall asleep and become cranky when woken up for her next feed an hour later. The PHN was adamant that we just had to suffer through it, "to keep her weight up".
    A week or so later we went to see a specialist about a minor postnatal issue, and when just making smalltalk and mentioning the lack of sleep because we had to wake her up, the specialist and her assistant nurse were aghast that someone had told us to wake the child. "Let her sleep, she's big and healthy enough". We actually skipped out of that appointment, delighted that a medical professional has given us the green light to let the baby sleep.

The journey as a new parent is actually quite incredible. The amount of conflicting opinion that medical professionals give you, disguised as medical fact, is quite astounding. It's already a stressful and confusing time, and doctors and nurses do zero to help with that.
    By the second and subsequent children I'm sure you learn what does and doesn't work and take all medical opinions as just that, rather than "doctor's orders".

same thing happened here. We were told to wake the little fella every 2.5-3 hours for a feed. I learned my lesson that you should just let a sleeping baby sleep!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭sillysocks

If I listened to all the different advice my health nurse have I'd have never left the house practically!
    My two have always watched a bit of tv to give me peace sometimes and don't think it's done them any harm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

My lo was glued to the tv! The bright moving colours were amazing in her eyes! She's 8 months old now and she's fine! I'm hearing more and more things that aren't "safe" but as my sister said - our parents had np guides, no apps, no Internet. They did what was best for them and we all turned out fine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I have to say my PHN is a dream... she never criticises or makes comments about anything... If she feels there's something wrong with baby the Area Medical Officer will have a look and then refer on from there but a couple of times the kids have been referred to AMO and then discharged again because it's not a big thing.

Only wake your child to feed if they are having problems gaining weight, otherwise let them sleep away. I wouldn't let a tiny new born go more than 4 hours without a feed during the day though, at night let them wake naturally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I also really like my phn and I found she backed up what the gp or doctors on hospital said. Not necessarily that she agreed or disagreed she was just careful not to give conflicting advice. I also had to wake my baby for feeds every 3 hours as she was jaundiced but once it was clear she was gaining weight well and it was subsiding I was told to stop.
    I think phn get a bad rap they're not all bad!

I know some awful phns but my one is fairly good. I can ring anytime. Doesn't push me to breast feed or introduce formula or solids.

J got his injections today. Hes in awful form. Poor thing randomly crying. Took an hour to get him to sleep and that was with me! Teethin is not helping

We have a nice one in Lucan village, she has been very helpful and reassuring and given us some good pointers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Sorry The_Conductor, I've edited out the name in your post. Some people are fussy about their workplace, profession and name being broadcast on the internet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement