Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My almost 2 year old sleeps 12-13 hours at night and then 2-3 hours during the day. We have a 7 week old and its only in the last 2 weeks her sleep pattern has settled back down. For the first few weeks she was very similar to yours, mooched in cot for ages before settling and then woke earlier in the morning and shorter naps. She seemed.fine about the new baby otherwise but sleep was the only issue

Thanks for all the replys. I actually asked PHN when she was out and she suggested maybe shortening the nap a little but not by much. Maybe just knock 15 mins off it. She naps from 12-2 sometimes a bit later going up if were out but never after 12.30.
    I reduced it a little today. And so far i think she is asleep. Im not hearing much on monitor anyway. Also used a camomile baby lotion on her before bed .
    She had a lil meltdown before bed as daddy read her story but then i gave daddy the baby so i could put her to bed but she was not impressed.
    So i do think the baba may be the issue. Hopefullu she will settle soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My little man (turns 1 tomorrow) sleeps great from 7pm until 8am and has two 1 hour naps during the day. I think its because he NEVER sits still. Will my little girl (due next week) ruin that? Or is he still young enough to know no different?

Suucee wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replys. I actually asked PHN when she was out and she suggested maybe shortening the nap a little but not by much. Maybe just knock 15 mins off it. She naps from 12-2 sometimes a bit later going up if were out but never after 12.30.
    I reduced it a little today. And so far i think she is asleep. Im not hearing much on monitor anyway. Also used a camomile baby lotion on her before bed .
    She had a lil meltdown before bed as daddy read her story but then i gave daddy the baby so i could put her to bed but she was not impressed.
    So i do think the baba may be the issue. Hopefullu she will settle soon.

Scratch that. Just heard her talking and mooching around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

Both mine slept for 2 hours at 2, they started to drop the nap around 2.5. They would start maybe only napping every 2 out of 3 days and gradually cut it all together. My 3.5 year old will still go for a nap at the weekend when we've been out and about and busy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My little man (turns 1 tomorrow) sleeps great from 7pm until 8am and has two 1 hour naps during the day. I think its because he NEVER sits still. Will my little girl (due next week) ruin that? Or is he still young enough to know no different?

You're in for one hell of an interesting time. Your little girl will probably be as different as possible to your little guy- but they'll both demand to play with one another's toys etc. There are 14 months between our two- and by god, our youngest, little Helen- is the boss of the house (she'll be 3 in June).

I'm guessing you're little guy will be bored of your little girl for the first while- because she won't be as interactive, as he'd like her to be- but once she gets mobile- you're in for fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My 2 year old takes a 1.5-2 hour nap at creche everyday but never naps for me at the weekends (although she needs it....even 15 mins would make a difference). She sleeps 9-10 hours at night usually and never stops moving during the day.

You're in for one hell of an interesting time. Your little girl will probably be as different as possible to your little guy- but they'll both demand to play with one another's toys etc. There are 14 months between our two- and by god, our youngest, little Helen- is the boss of the house (she'll be 3 in June).

I'm guessing you're little guy will be bokred of your little girl for the first while- because she won't be as interactive, as he'd like her to be- but once she gets mobile- you're in for fun!

I should start to worry now... I am convinced she's a diva already.. She controls me already..

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

So I gave my 20 week old formula for firsttime this week only at 7.30pm. He downed 8 oz. Is it normal? Can I give him 9? Maybe it's time for solids. Going to see how he goes though. Might ring pun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

So I gave my 20 week old formula for firsttime this week only at 7.30pm. He downed 8 oz. Is it normal? Can I give him 9? Maybe it's time for solids. Going to see how he goes though. Might ring pun.

Personally I'd say give him a chance. Even if they seem hungry the advice at the moment is 6mth - 26 weeks - to give their gut a chance to develop.

If he's not screaming for more he should be grand. Just remember sometimes they'll take a bottle to ease a pain from wind (I learned that lesson the hard way).

• Advertisement

nicowa wrote: »
    Personally I'd say give him a chance. Even if they seem hungry the advice at the moment is 6mth - 26 weeks - to give their gut a chance to develop.

If he's not screaming for more he should be grand. Just remember sometimes they'll take a bottle to ease a pain from wind (I learned that lesson the hard way).

Yeah I'm hoping to hold off. Phn told me wait til 5 months which will be easter. He was 16 and half pound at 3 month check and he's much bigger now! I'm getting his next car seat ready! Thanks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on how many feeds a day he takes,how settled he is and if he burps it back up.

I would not give him 9oz yet.

My little lad was taking 5 - 6 210ml bottles a day at the same age then settled down.I have no idea what weight he was at 5 months but we have to be careful about gaining weight way too fast as well as too slow at that age. The PHN is your best resource though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It depends on how many feeds a day he takes,how settled he is and if he burps it back up.

I would not give him 9oz yet.

My little lad was take 5 - 6 210ml bottles a day at the same age then settled down.I have no idea what weight he was at 5 months but we have to be careful about gaining weight way too fast as well as too slow at that age. The PHN is your best resource though.

I gosh my 12 week old has been know to take 9oz!!! In fact yesterday he took 12oz (2x 6 oz bottles in one go). My PHN told me to give him as much as he wants and that he will puke it up! I reckon he is going through a growth spurt. My baby is so funny when he is full he shuts his mouth and shakes his head!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

aww,my baby is never full is the issue!!
    The child eats as much as the 5 year old.
    Ours always told us not to over feed but feed more often if they needed it.
    I pretty much always feed on demand but they set a routine themselves pretty quickly.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    aww,my baby is never full is the issue!!
    The child eats as much as the 5 year old.
    Ours always told us not to over feed but feed more often if they needed it.
    I pretty much always feed on demand but they set a routine themselves pretty quickly.

My PHN said he will vomit it back if he is over full? He drinks loads and loads during the day but his last feed at 10 he will only take 3 or 4oz max and then sleep till 7am happy days! I feed on demand too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

2 year sleeps 12 hours at night and 2 hours after lunch. On occasion will be fussy at night but only if we have had a boring day due to weather or one if them being sick! Still def needs the nap - and I coordinate it with the 11 months old second nap so I get a bit of peace! I'll keep naps up for as long as possible cos I think its good for them and good for me!

If be afraid of giving too much formula - never gave more than 8 but then they never looked for it so if they had maybe I would have. But I'd also think it would be better to do smaller amounts more often if needed than over full their little bellies.

• Advertisement

I'm sticking with 8 oz. He has 5 Breastfeeds and one formula. How do you know when they are getting hungry hungry? J is very interested in food and the spoon in last few days and is more upset during the day. Can't remember anything about my first less than 2 years ago!!!! Bad baby brain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I can't believe my little lady is 1 in 2 weeks. Just got her bday present and all of a sudden I got really emotional. I think it's because I'm not having any more babies and turning 1 means she isn't a baby anymore :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

My son is turning 1 next Thursday and it's very emotional. I can't believe how quick the year has gone and how fast he's growing. Turning 1 means he's not really a baby anymore, although he'll always be my baby :)

Nead21 wrote: »
    My son is turning 1 next Thursday and it's very emotional. I can't believe how quick the year has gone and how fast he's growing. Turning 1 means he's not really a baby anymore, although he'll always be my baby :)

:-D my son is 3 and still my baby. Total mamas boy!

My little man turned 1 today!! I bought him a vetec bear at Christmas that tells him different things and it sang happy birthday to him this morning and I cried!!! I blame been pregnant though

• Advertisement

My little lady just had morrocan tagine with lamb and apricot and absolutely hoovered it. Were going Jamaican tomorrow lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Little fella won't sleep in anything but the car seat today. Really shouldn't have googled it to check how bad it is for him cos now I'm feeling like the worlds worst mammy but he's only sleeping in it or on my chest and I feel safer with us both sleeping with him in the car seat :/ he's only three weeks old and is waking every three hours or less so it can't be that bad, right?

Little fella won't sleep in anything but the car seat today. Really shouldn't have googled it to check how bad it is for him cos now I'm feeling like the worlds worst mammy but he's only sleeping in it or on my chest and I feel safer with us both sleeping with him in the car seat :/ he's only three weeks old and is waking every three hours or less so it can't be that bad, right?

The first 3 weeks were pure hell for us with sleeping that I have blocked it out! Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Yeah it's not recommended but it doesn't sound like you're the kind of Redon to just leave him in it all day long on a regular basis. You're just doing what you can to get some rest. Once you get through the next week of so it'll all get easier and he'll sleep elsewhere for you.

For the first 3 weeks my little guy slept in a swing chair lien it back for him. Then one day I stuck him in the Moses basket and he went to sleep himself and now a year old he still goes to sleep himself. It works roll with it. Everyone needs there rest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

kandr10 wrote: »
    Yeah it's not recommended but it doesn't sound like you're the kind of Redon to just leave him in it all day long on a regular basis. You're just doing what you can to get some rest. Once you get through the next week of so it'll all get easier and he'll sleep elsewhere for you.

Don't berate yourself. My little guy (under the advice of my gp!) slept loads in his as he was very refluxy. Babies need their sleep so do whatever works for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Just wondering what brand sun creams you all use on your children.. My son is almost 11 months and he has fairly sensitive skin, with the weather being so lovely the past few days I think it's time to stock up for another glorious summer!!! No idea which one to go for though.

cant26 wrote: »
    Just wondering what brand sun creams you all use on your children.. My son is almost 11 months and he has fairly sensitive skin, with the weather being so lovely the past few days I think it's time to stock up for another glorious summer!!! No idea which one to go for though.

Tesco had the Garnier range on special over the winter months (typical.....)
    Essentially- go for a high UV block- after that- it depends, is the child going to be doing water sports- if so, get a water resistant one, or make sure you re-apply regularly.

Note- contrary to what shops would have you believe- sun cream, block, aftersun etc- does not go off- you can happily use last years bottle, it doesn't have to be thrown out.

Ps- UV forecast high for today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Tesco had the Garnier range on special over the winter months (typical.....)
    Essentially- go for a high UV block- after that- it depends, is the child going to be doing water sports- if so, get a water resistant one, or make sure you re-apply regularly.

Note- contrary to what shops would have you believe- sun cream, block, aftersun etc- does not go off- you can happily use last years bottle, it doesn't have to be thrown out.

Ps- UV forecast high for today!

I had Hugo out all day yesterday, I didn't realise the sun was going to be so strong. Nightmare keeping him covered up. Have the cream ready for today!

nikpmup wrote: »
    I had Hugo out all day yesterday, I didn't realise the sun was going to be so strong. Nightmare keeping him covered up. Have the cream ready for today!

A sun hat, if you can keep it on- is probably more important than cream/block (but obviously a combination of both is preferable)

• Advertisement

A sun hat, if you can keep it on- is probably more important than cream/block (but obviously a combination of both is preferable)

Yeah, I'll be buying a sun hat today as well, I didn't have one yesterday so had to cover his buggy with a blanket. Off to boots to get a hat or two, a sunshade for the buggy and various other bits. Will probably have no more good weather, ever :)

Thanks for that. I use boots own brand myself but wasn't sure what brand might be best for the baby. Will definitely need some for today so will head to dunnes and see what they have. Would've been clever to stock up during the winter, must do it this time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I used Banana Boat no tears sunscreen and it was great. No oil slick feeling on the skin and no stinging in the eyes. I get very, very stingy eyes from sunscreen, so if I didn't react to it, it's probably very good on sensitive skin. But more importantly I got an extremely comprehensive shade for the buggy. We call it, the buggy burkha, it's so enormous. It looks a bit silly but it's 50spf and can be arranged so that the front is completely open, so that it's half open with a little window to look out, or totally closed up, depending on the angle of the sun. And even all closed up it's still (just about) see-through, so the baby can see out. It's an Australian design, so I figured they'd know all about sun protection.

Oh and I try every day on sunny days to give him 20-30 minutes out in the sun without any sunblock on. Usually in the early morning before it's too strong. Or after a bath in the evening. It's important to let them get a certain amount of sun exposure because building up a natural Vitamin D store is just as necessary as avoiding sunburn.

cant26 wrote: »

I've always used the p20 and then a factor 30 little stick thing for their face so I don't get it in their eyes. Spotted a sudocream spray one in the baby section the other day though that I might try

I use la Roche posay on the kids factor 50 - it's for sensitive skin - my two are sooooo pale! Like their mammy! It's a great product - comes in cream or spray. Heard banana boat great but don't see it available? P20 meant to be good too. I don't trust boots own brand as a study was done ages ago admittedly with the times U.K. I think that showed their factor to be in reality at least factor ten less that what it stated - I.e in its 20 was just 10 coverage etc!! I react to garnier one so that's why I use the la Roche posay.

dublinlady wrote: »
    Heard banana boat great but don't see it available?

I got it online, from Chemist Direct. It's often a 2 for 1, so worked out at £5 (a little over €6) a bottle.

Actually tried the sudocreme spray last year and found it a little sticky but they might have changed the formulation since - was just a but hard to use.

Re sun shade for buggy. I got a rayshade from littlewoods and found it great. Its huge and folds up tiny.

I was in dunnes today trying to get a hat for my toddler. She wouldnt keep any on. She has loads of hair but i wanted 1 to keep the sun off her face and out of her eyes no joy. Going to try find a peppa pig 1 and see will that work.

Thanks for filling me in about sun cream not going off. I dump it evrry year and buy new . Wont be doing that any more.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    I used Banana Boat no tears sunscreen and it was great. No oil slick feeling on the skin and no stinging in the eyes. I get very, very stingy eyes from sunscreen, so if I didn't react to it, it's probably very good on sensitive skin. But more importantly I got an extremely comprehensive shade for the buggy. We call it, the buggy burkha, it's so enormous. It looks a bit silly but it's 50spf and can be arranged so that the front is completely open, so that it's half open with a little window to look out, or totally closed up, depending on the angle of the sun. And even all closed up it's still (just about) see-through, so the baby can see out. It's an Australian design, so I figured they'd know all about sun protection.

That sounds similar to the one I got today, it's great!

Thanks everyone. I only had a chance to get to dunnes today so picked up factor 50 garnier for sensitive kids. So far so good he didn't have any reaction. Someone else was raving about la Roche posay so might try that too.

Btw the garnier was half price in dunnes so got it for €14 instead of €28.

There aren't many places where people will understand how bloody awful it is when your neighbour decides to mow and strim their lawn in the early afternoon but I think many of you here will feel my pain.:mad::o:(

Yep got a narky 12 month old to prove neighbours are evil. I have a dog problem at the moment wakes Jack from every nap then at an he usually sleeps till 8 and when I put him to bed at night he's woken 4-5 times in the few hours before I go to bed. The person who owns him just comes home feeds him and goes again she's hard to catch to give off about it. Might add I'll have a newborn in the next week and I've had no sleep for a week now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

We had a dog problem aswell. Woke LO (and us) up literally every morning at 6.30am and every single night around 11.30pm. I'm guessing these were the times he was let out to the toilet!

Sent husband over to ask could the owners do something about the barking. Their house is at the back of ours. The owner couldn't give a ****€! He actually said to my husband.... "We'll can ye not use the bedrooms at the front of your house instead of using the bedrooms at the back. Then you wouldn't hear it as bad.".... What a prick...

After a shaky start, he had a decent nap. Not super relaxing for me as I was on edge for most of it but thankfully he won't be doing his briar impression for the rest of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I will see your dogs & lawn mowers & raise you Cotton Eyed Joe played at max volume from a car across the road:rolleyes:

We'll I'm offically a married woman but an even bigger achievement, I survived bringing a 2 yr old on a 12hr each way journey to & from America:cool: I felt like someone should have been there to greet me at Dublin airport with a towel & bottle of water like they do at the end of a marathon or at least plague to commemorate the event:D

Got little fella down for nap and 20 mins later neighbour kept knocking looking for jump leads. So no hour nap to make him smile awhile. Grrrr.

Congrats on the wedding!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    We had a dog problem aswell. Woke LO (and us) up literally every morning at 6.30am and every single night around 11.30pm. I'm guessing these were the times he was let out to the toilet!

Sent husband over to ask could the owners do something about the barking. Their house is at the back of ours. The owner couldn't give a ****€! He actually said to my husband.... "We'll can ye not use the bedrooms at the front of your house instead of using the bedrooms at the back. Then you wouldn't hear it as bad.".... What a prick...

That is just madness

I have a dog and if he wakes the baby I go demented! It's awful tho when people get a dog and never walk them etc to tire them out, why get a dog if u don't have time for one - it's cruel. Altho our dog is very annoying and cries for 5 mins every time we leave the house so thankfully our neighbours our very patient but we always try distract him with food etc!!

dublinlady wrote: »
    I have a dog and if he wakes the baby I go demented! It's awful tho when people get a dog and never walk them etc to tire them out, why get a dog if u don't have time for one - it's cruel. Altho our dog is very annoying and cries for 5 mins every time we leave the house so thankfully our neighbours our very patient but we always try distract him with food etc!!

When any of my dogs bark thankfully my baby doesn't even bat an eyelid!

• Advertisement
Advertisement