Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Sligo1 wrote: »
    We had a dog problem aswell. Woke LO (and us) up literally every morning at 6.30am and every single night around 11.30pm. I'm guessing these were the times he was let out to the toilet!

Sent husband over to ask could the owners do something about the barking. Their house is at the back of ours. The owner couldn't give a ****€! He actually said to my husband.... "We'll can ye not use the bedrooms at the front of your house instead of using the bedrooms at the back. Then you wouldn't hear it as bad.".... What a prick...

The cheek of them!

We also have a dog problem. There is a Doberman two doors down from us and it is left in a tiny back garden all day long and all it does is barks. So frustrating. Then when the owners are there they think it's ok to let the dog run all over the street. It's crazy behavior IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Well after a week of this dog barking and owner not been there I am contacting ISPCA I live beside the national centre and there quick at responding to neglect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Well after a week of this dog barking and owner not been there I am contacting ISPCA I live beside the national centre and there quick at responding to neglect

They can only do something if the dog has no food, water or shelter, they don't consider using a dog as a garden ornament neglect unfortunately.
    I myself finding having a dog & not walking it as cruel as having a dog & not feeding it, one starves the body, the other starves the mind!!!

Well in over a week I've seen her there twice to feed it and it has no shelter at all its only a small dog. Surely they'll contact her give her a warming. Has to help

Well in over a week I've seen her there twice to feed it and it has no shelter at all its only a small dog. Surely they'll contact her give her a warming. Has to help

Definately won't do any harm poor thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Congratulations MS! How did the wedding go? Delighted you managed the voyage ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

People tell you how hard it is to have kids but nobody tells you how dangerous it is. Got my head slammed In the bathroom door and scalded with a full hot cup of coffee all before 10. I think I'm gonna need some serious retail therapy when daddy comes back from golf.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    They can only do something if the dog has no food, water or shelter, they don't consider using a dog as a garden ornament neglect unfortunately.
    I myself finding having a dog & not walking it as cruel as having a dog & not feeding it, one starves the body, the other starves the mind!!!

They will still give a warning. A friend of mine leaves her dog in the garden during the day while the kids are up but he has food and shelter. Somebody reported her so they popped in and could see there was bed and food in the house because he is taken in at night. They left her to it but they did check which is good.

Congratulations MS! How did the wedding go? Delighted you managed the voyage ok!

Thanks, wedding went off without a hitch thank God, lil man wasn't well but we managed to work around it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Had a fantastic day today, a local shopping centre had a big Easter event on with clowns, the Easter bunny, Mickey Mouse, etc. S had an unbelievable amount of fun, he was too young to play any of the games but he danced and danced and had a ball. Now I've just been downstairs setting out all his Easter presents and eggs for him to see in the morning. It's dawned on me that I'm overcompensating massively for our awful Christmas but I'm still looking forward to seeing his face when he sees it all.

(Fingerscrossed our house purchase works out because I have no idea where all his new stuff is going to be stored.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Hi all! Hope everyone had a lovely easter!! Ours was nice and relaxing.

Been busy here. Started potty training our daughter who is 2 and 3 months over a week ago. She had had no accidents really and is doing brilliantly! So proud of her. She trained herself!

My little man was 5 months saturday and had his first tiny spoon feed Sunday. Seemed to go down well. He is suffering awful pain with his teeth. Can't find anything that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Hi all! Hope everyone had a lovely easter!! Ours was nice and relaxing.

Been busy here. Started potty training our daughter who is 2 and 3 months over a week ago. She had had no accidents really and is doing brilliantly! So proud of her. She trained herself!

My little man was 5 months saturday and had his first tiny spoon feed Sunday. Seemed to go down well. He is suffering awful pain with his teeth. Can't find anything that helps!

Teetha granules took the edge off for my little lady. I was told that the gels harden their gums. Don't know how true it is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I found calgel fantastic for A when she was teething badly around 5 months. I'd rub some on her gums and she'd go straight back to sleep.

We've moved A into O's room last night. A was very distressed last night and cried on and off for hours. I didn't wake at all so that was a good sign in itself. O likes to talk to himself and sing very loudly when he goes to bed. A slept through it tonight so another good sign. I hope it works out as it's so great to get our room back after almost a year. It feels like we're slowly reclaiming our lives!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I found calgel fantastic for A when she was teething badly around 5 months. I'd rub some on her gums and she'd go straight back to sleep.

We've moved A into O's room last night. A was very distressed last night and cried on and off for hours. I didn't wake at all so that was a good sign in itself. O likes to talk to himself and sing very loudly when he goes to bed. A slept through it tonight so another good sign. I hope it works out as it's so great to get our room back after almost a year. It feels like we're slowly reclaiming our lives!

I feel like that occasionally and then they whip the carpet back from under me ;)

Teetha granules and calgel fan here also! Although at 11 months S only has one tooth and at 26 months A has loads left to get so we are not dealing with aggressive teethers!!

J went into his big bed tonight, got him some dinosaur bed covers which he was delighted with. He's out cold now but the test will be if he wakes during the night or early morning. Put a duvet on the floor beside the bed just in case he falls out, fingers crossed the transitions goes smoothly!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭melmoth77

dublinlady wrote: »
    I feel like that occasionally and then they whip the carpet back from under me ;)

Teetha granules and calgel fan here also! Although at 11 months S only has one tooth and at 26 months A has loads left to get so we are not dealing with aggressive teethers!!

Hi, does anyone know where you can get Calgel in Ireland (Dublin if possible) please? All the pharmacies I've been don't seem to do it! Have a five and a half month old having a hard time at the moment....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

É turned 1 last Thursday. I can't believe it. We had a birthday party for him yesterday and he had a great time. He was in such great form the whole day, even with all the activity in his normally quiet house. I'm a super proud mum of a happy 1 year old :D (I did get a bit emotional when we were singing happy birthday :o)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Nead21 wrote: »
    É turned 1 last Thursday. I can't believe it. We had a birthday party for him yesterday and he had a great time. He was in such great form the whole day, even with all the activity in his normally quiet house. I'm a super proud mum of a happy 1 year old :D (I did get a bit emotional when we were singing happy birthday :o)

Happy birthday to E Nead! L is 1 tomorrow and I have spent the weekend reliving this time last year, it's so vivid in my mind! Completely emotional (in a good way) which I didn't expect!

I have a walking, talking (well mostly babbling), headstrong, determined and entertaining little one year old mini me.... how on earth did that happen and where did the last year go????

Going to the zoo tomorrow to celebrate and we will be eating plenty cake!!

Hey it's unlicensed in Ireland so I get mine up north or in uk - if u know anyone going up u could get them to stock up for you :)
    It's very annoying!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭kitten_k

melmoth77 wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know where you can get Calgel in Ireland (Dublin if possible) please? All the pharmacies I've been don't seem to do it! Have a five and a half month old having a hard time at the moment....

We usually buy it from Buyers Club but just checked there and they don't have it anymore.

Done a google search and you can get it here:

http://www.inishpharmacy.com/p/calgel-teething-gel-10g/500022

Don't think you can buy it in a chemist directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

The teetha granules work sometimes for short periods. Got a great deal boots were doing 3 for 2 so saved myself nearly 3 Euro!! I'm going to try order the calgel i think!! Worth a try. He's hysterical when the pain hits and trays to chew anything in site!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

dublinlady wrote: »
    Hey it's unlicensed in Ireland so I get mine up north or in uk - if u know anyone going up u could get them to stock up for you :)
    It's very annoying!!!

If you're buying Calgel up north- Boots have an own-brand version for 79p.......

I get dentinox teething gel which is exactly the same as calgel but it's cheaper. A lot of pharmacies up North will post down items such as these if you pay over the phone.

Happy Birthday to L, Digs :)

We've come a long way in a year. Our little newborns are so grown up! Hope you have lovely day.

Had a day from hell yesterday was determined to start today different.
    My little guy just gone 1 was screaming all day it all kicked off when he woke and his 2 day old sister whimpered. He broke into hysterics and the hole day followed that pattern literally hours at a time. Today I got up with him and gave him his bottle he played for 15 mins then had breakfast and I was able clean the house.Then got his dad up and I tended to his sister and when she cried for bottle he tried talking to her no crying! Problem solved? Don't know but massive change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Contemplating a fabric sling. A friend has given us a Huack carrier for E but he's too little for it yet (minimum 3.5kg and he's finding it hard to hit 2.5) and he's the most clingy little thing at the moment so for me to be able to do anything (or get out of our apartment down the two flights of stairs) I'm thinking the sling may be essential. Any suggestions?

He's also feeding every 40 minutes today but in a kind of snacking way for 10 minutes. Don't even know if he's getting milk anymore :/

I got the JPMBB fabric sling for my little man. He was small and he lost a good bit of his birth rate. http://www.koalacubs.ie/Wrap%20arround%20slings.htm#JPMBB

He constantly fed too. He might be going through a growth spurt? I felt like É had a growth spurt all the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭misspumpqueen

I want to ask a question, I hope it doesn't come across as mean..

I'm going out with my friends tomorrow with my baby. One of my friends has offered to drive. This friend hasn't exactly gained my confidence in being in her car while she drives. On two occasions, she has gone into the wrong lane, into oncoming traffic, before swerving back to the right lane. On another occasion, driving down a country road, she didn't understand how to get her full headlights working, then had them on in lighted areas and was wondering why people were flashing her.. Anyway, before I go on a rant, I'm really quite nervous about getting in the car with her tomorrow with the baby. She hasn't had a baby in the car before. However, the place we're going requires two buses to get to it.. What would you do? Should I sucks it up and put my feelings aside and take the lift, or am I right in being a bit nervous?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

However, the place we're going requires two buses to get to it.. What would you do?

This.
    Get the buses.
    Its inconvenient- but infinitely better than fretting about putting your life, and that of your baby, in danger.

Contemplating a fabric sling. A friend has given us a Huack carrier for E but he's too little for it yet (minimum 3.5kg and he's finding it hard to hit 2.5) and he's the most clingy little thing at the moment so for me to be able to do anything (or get out of our apartment down the two flights of stairs) I'm thinking the sling may be essential. Any suggestions?

He's also feeding every 40 minutes today but in a kind of snacking way for 10 minutes. Don't even know if he's getting milk anymore :/

Apparently there's a sling meet in Douglas and a lady who does sling consults. I started a thread recently about slings and carriers. Can't link the thread as I'm on my phone pacing up and down the hall with my cranky baby but there is good info in it.

• Advertisement

I want to ask a question, I hope it doesn't come across as mean..

I'm going out with my friends tomorrow with my baby. One of my friends has offered to drive. This friend hasn't exactly gained my confidence in being in her car while she drives. On two occasions, she has gone into the wrong lane, into oncoming traffic, before swerving back to the right lane. On another occasion, driving down a country road, she didn't understand how to get her full headlights working, then had them on in lighted areas and was wondering why people were flashing her.. Anyway, before I go on a rant, I'm really quite nervous about getting in the car with her tomorrow with the baby. She hasn't had a baby in the car before. However, the place we're going requires two buses to get to it.. What would you do? Should I sucks it up and put my feelings aside and take the lift, or am I right in being a bit nervous?

I was like that with my sister when I had my first because while she is a good driver she is very confident on the road so can drive fast and weave in and out. She was a very different driver with my son in the car though and even now 3 years on she is very considerate of how nervous I am when other people are driving and will ask me which roads I'd prefer her to take that would make me less nervous. Maybe if you have a chat with her about how nervous you are with baby in the car no matter who is driving she will keep it in mind on the journey and take her time. If she has a full licence she hopefully has the ability to drive properly when the situation requires it.

Question how do ya get baby to sleep during the night instead of the day?! Poor little woman is confused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Question how do ya get baby to sleep during the night instead of the day?! Poor little woman is confused

With both mine they slept down stairs in pram or travel cot during the day and moses basket or cot at night. I always dressed them (my mum always says that how they learn the difference) dont know how that would make sence but both
    Always slept bettet at night normally only waking 11.30 3.30 and 7. I always give a quick top to toe at about 7pm then into babygro and grobag and into bed.
    This worked for my now 2yr old and so far so good with my 3.5 week old. Although he must br havin a growth spurt at the moment as i cant seem to keep him fed .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Can a person change the surname of their baby on the birth certificate without the consent of the mother if they're not married?

For me I kept the day lively, bright noisey etc. and night time dark, calm & quiet. Even when he'd wake for a feed at night I'd feed him & change him with minimal light & didn't talk to him whereas I would chat to him through his daytime feeds.
    Seemed to work as he soon switch around the right way:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

loubian wrote: »
    Can a person change the surname of their baby on the birth certificate without the consent of the mother if they're not married?

Not unless they get a court order I don't think loubian, you'd really need to ask a solicitor or the FLAC (flac.ie)

There is some info on treoir.ie
    Changing a child's surname in the Birth Register
    It is possible to change the surname of a child if the parents marry following the birth of their child and where both parents agree. The names of both parents must be already entered in the Register of Births.

If the birth is being re-registered to add the father's name and the original registration was after October 1997 the surname already chosen can be changed where both parents agree.

If the birth is being re-registered to add the father's name and the original registration was before October 1997 then a surname must be chosen on re-registration as no surname was assigned at the original registration.

I'd take that to mean, no you can't unless you agree to it.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

loubian wrote: »

I'd highly doubt it. An unmarried partner is a relative stranger to the mother and child legally speaking- they have no automatic legal rights I think. It would be like me rocking up to change your baby's surname to mine. Or you changing my child's name. That twat of an ex giving you hassle again? What a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Is it normal to be still exhausted in the evening times when baby is 5 months old? He had a bit of sleep regression, but that settling now, and I think I get enough sleep - more than a lot of the women on here I think.
    My hubby has been home since the birth so there are two of us to handle baby - but still, every evening I am absolutely shattered!

Is it normal to be still exhausted in the evening times when baby is 5 months old? He had a bit of sleep regression, but that settling now, and I think I get enough sleep - more than a lot of the women on here I think.
    My hubby has been home since the birth so there are two of us to handle baby - but still, every evening I am absolutely shattered!

My baby is five and a half months and I'm wrecked in the evenings too. My husband either takes over with baby when he comes in from work or cooks the dinner. He puts her to bed most nights too while I make bottles and things. Up until the last couple of weeks she has been sleeping very well but then she caught a cold. She wakes a few times now with her nose but grumbles a bit and then goes back to sleep herself. I wake everytime she does though and it takes me a while to get back then. My thyroid is out of kilter though so that does affect energy levels.

If it's any consolation my son is 2 & I'm still exhausted most evenings, think that tiredness begins to ease around the eighteenth year or so I'm told:D

• Advertisement

I go through phases - think it's to do with hormones? Really tired with pmt and have more energy after it!
    But yeah life is just a lot busier with babies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Thanks all. Maybe I am lacking in something, but I take vitamins and iron every day. It actually seems worse on the days where I have had a good sleep...
    Maybe my 35 year old body is still adjusting to having our first baby in the house!

Thanks all. Maybe I am lacking in something, but I take vitamins and iron every day. It actually seems worse on the days where I have had a good sleep...
    Maybe my 35 year old body is still adjusting to having our first baby in the house!

Every time OH does night feed i feel worse the next day. You would imagine id be fresh as a daisy but no. Wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Got loads of sleep last night but I had a napin the sofa today which I never do! I find I'm surviving better with less sleep than I thought I would. Getting out of bed when he wakes at around 6:30 is hard but I'm grand then for the rest of the day.

I found around 5 months was the worst for me with both babies. I got very rundown, I was chronically sleep deprived and all the happy hormones were gone. I really recommend starting a good tonic or multivitamin. You'll feel the difference, energy wise, within a week.

I think if u get more sleep u get less adrenaline and u get more tired!!! Haha I'm convinced! I feel more tired now that I get 7 hours straight sleep - altho that could be down to work being crazy as well as home!
    I find revive boost really good - sachets of a multivitamin with guarana and ginseng I think - great for a bad day - that and coffee.....

Cant believe its been 2 whole years since i became a mammy.
    How much my life has changed is unbelievable but i wouldnt change a thing. (Well maybe the sleepless nights. But its all worth it. ).
    A big happy second birthday to my gorgeous lil lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

The eldest was 5 yesterday. 5!!! We were having a battle with him this morning because he wouldn't eat his breakfast and was giving back cheek. I had a flashback to this time 5 years ago when we were having the same battles trying to get him to feed....though with less back chat! Lol

Happy 2nd birthday little succee!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

For those looking for Calgel I buy it on boots.co.uk and use parcel motel to get it delivered here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Having a really crap bunch of days. We went over to London last Thursday to see friends we hadn't seen in ages with the toddler, the baby and the teenager. The baby decided the train (we went boat and rail) was the best place to start vomiting up all over us. I think she went through 3 maybe 4 changes of clothes. And himself needed two!

Then there was the few days trying to keep her happy while not feeding her too much. And then the last night her big sister - the toddler - decided to get the same bug... But at night time. We changed her bed sheets 3 times, showered her twice. And then I spent the rest of the night holding her as she retched. It was not fun.

Then boat and rail back. She only needed 2 change of clothes thankfully (though we were prepared for more). And then yesterday it turned into the runs.

While she was suffering she was sweet and docile and couldn't do more than stare straight ahead - so I put the TV on. Today she's a nightmare. She wants all the same attention (hubby was home yesterday to help) but I've got two of them on my hands and a bit of the bug and I'm just so tired. She screamed and screamed for the TV. So I gave in. And I feel terrible about it. But not enough to try turning it off.

I need a cup of tea...

Advertisement