Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

nikpmup wrote: »
    Slingslingslingslingsling!!

I can't find my sling and I have just managed to wash bottles and put them in steriliser while holding a sick 1 year old that won't be put down. That's a win for mammy :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

It's amazing what I can now do one-handed when I have to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

January wrote: »
    Little boy just wants to be up in arms... not good with three other children!

January, how are you finding your 3 in 1 rocker? I'm tempted to but one today coz they look great. I have a Moses and I have a swing.... But the 3 in 1 looks cool but I'm just unsure if I'm being silly considering we have the other 2. It just she always falls asleep in the swing but I don't like to leave her in it more than 15-30min. The 3 in 1 would solve that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Slingslingslingslingsling!!

I just tried on a jpmbb and im in loooovvveeeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The sling should be arriving on Monday!

The rocker napper is great, he is a bit small to get the full benefits of it yet (like I wouldn't put him sitting up in it just yet). It would benefit from a hood like the Moses baskets have because the daylight seems to bother him a bit but other than that it's great. He's just being a fuss pot today ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

http://www.mothercare.ie/ergonomic-bath-support.html

Hi guys! Currently deciding what to buy to assist in bathing my upcoming new arrival. I don't want a baby bath due to space constraints so I thought of a bath support like the above. Has anyone used this or anything similar? I suppose my concern would be that it could be very hard or uncomfortable for baby.

Ocean Blue wrote: »

Hi guys! Currently deciding what to buy to assist in bathing my upcoming new arrival. I don't want a baby bath due to space constraints so I thought of a bath support like the above. Has anyone used this or anything similar? I suppose my concern would be that it could be very hard or uncomfortable for baby.

I wouldn't spend too much. You won't feel it until your washing little one in sink. Quicker to fill the sink and by far easiest and quickest way to clean baby. I bought a tonne of bathing equipment for my son and never used it because it was easier just to hold him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

I wouldn't spend too much. You won't feel it until your washing little one in sink. Quicker to fill the sink and by far easiest and quickest way to clean baby. I bought a tonne of bathing equipment for my son and never used it because it was easier just to hold him

That one is only €20 and if I go with that it is the only thing I'd expect to buy. Online reviews mentioned that people continued using it until 8/9 months which if true I think I would consider it good value. I suffer with my back so not having to constantly hold baby while bathing would appeal to me!

loubian wrote: »
    I just tried on a jpmbb and im in loooovvveeeee

I have one and a manduca carrier - the jpmbb is great for around the house and when he was really tiny. The manduca is more of a manly looking sling for himself to use :D Love it for getting on the bus as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

I have this and found it great. Spent the first 2 months breaking my back with a baby bath then got this and it was brilliant to have 2 hands free. Used it up til about 7 months when he was getting too dangerous with the rolling so moved into a bath seat then.

Absolute melt down!!!! Anyone want a 3 year old boy for a few days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

That one is only €20 and if I go with that it is the only thing I'd expect to buy. Online reviews mentioned that people continued using it until 8/9 months which if true I think I would consider it good value. I suffer with my back so not having to constantly hold baby while bathing would appeal to me!
    I had a support like that (in a baby bath) and it was great. My back was not able for holding L all the time in the bath, plus I was afraid of him slipping off my arms when he was wet. We used it til he was able to sit up by himself in the bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Hi all. I'm looking for opinions on sleep techniques people may have used like cry it out pick up put down etc.For waking up during the night. I'm reaching the end here. Moving to his own room next weekend so I want to be prepared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Do you have the no cry sleep solutions book? It's very good lots of tips! I don't believe in letting a child cry, they cry for a reason! When my fellas fussing starts to escalate in the night I just pop the soother back in his mouth and a bit of shushing sends him back asleep. If he's inconsolable a quick cuddle to soothe him and back down usually works but all babies are different!

Do you have the no cry sleep solutions book? It's very good lots of tips! I don't believe in letting a child cry, they cry for a reason! When my fellas fussing starts to escalate in the night I just pop the soother back in his mouth and a bit of shushing sends him back asleep. If he's inconsolable a quick cuddle to soothe him and back down usually works but all babies are different!

Thanks! Don't think my heart could cope with cry it out. Goin to see if they have that book in library. Was just reading up on it and seems good. He's a great sleeper til 4am then just can't get back asleep! Goin on a long time now since 4 month sleep regression!

• Advertisement

My son did exactly this, probably from the 4/5 month mark, would wake at around 4am and would either have to be cuddled back to sleep or would come into the bed with us. It's only in the last few weeks that it's stopped (he's 7 months) It's coincided with him going into the cot awake rather than having to be cuddled to sleep, so perhaps it's that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

My son did exactly this, probably from the 4/5 month mark, would wake at around 4am and would either have to be cuddled back to sleep or would come into the bed with us. It's only in the last few weeks that it's stopped (he's 7 months) It's coincided with him going into the cot awake rather than having to be cuddled to sleep, so perhaps it's that.

We did controlled crying on both my girls and it worked excellently - I felt horrible but reassured by the fact that I was going in to comfort them every 2,4,7,8, or 10 mins - never longer than that. I'd definitely do it the same way again. We started it at 7 ish months as felt then they were old enough to self soothe a bit better and we really wanted them to be able to fall asleep without us shushing or holding them - after 2 or 3 days they just got it and are so happy going to bed now - at 2 and a quarter and almost 1 we have zero sleep issues. They go through odd spurts of early waking which is annoying but normally teeth or something so we can't do a lot about that! Needless to say if they are sick we scrap the controlled crying and just comfort when ever they need it and start again when they feel better and we can tell they are in good form with nothing bothering them - and then again it takes a day or two of controlled crying and they click back into the routine.

I know controlled crying can work well for some people, but it's not for me, couldn't do it. (that's not a criticism btw :)) If he's crying at all for any reason it makes me tense. Even this morning, when it was my turn for the lie in, I heard him cry in the kitchen at 9am and it got me out of bed! (He was fine, just grumpy while his dad was making his breakfast, but hearing him cry got me out of bed on lie in day with a hangover; I absolutely couldn't do controlled crying!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think it depends on your children as well. Both of mine had/have a very very loud cry as babies. My daughter could wake the dead when she starts. Controlled crying just wouldn't have worked and the noise levels would've given me a stroke with the stress of it all. The no cry sleep solution worked for us. I was sceptical as it seemed a bit too softly softly but we sleep trained our sleep allergic daughter with minimal crying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Sleep allergic daughter lol...love it :D

Im planting seeds in the 2 year old about potty training. I am dreading it. Hes the type that would pee in a drawer just for the craic. But it would be great to get it over with.

I finish work in 3 weeks and will make a start. Fingers crossed for good weather so I can chuck him out the back

• Advertisement

I know controlled crying can work well for some people, but it's not for me, couldn't do it. (that's not a criticism btw :)) If he's crying at all for any reason it makes me tense. Even this morning, when it was my turn for the lie in, I heard him cry in the kitchen at 9am and it got me out of bed! (He was fine, just grumpy while his dad was making his breakfast, but hearing him cry got me out of bed on lie in day with a hangover; I absolutely couldn't do controlled crying!!)

Ha same here! Saturday is my 'lie in' and I havent had a lie in since the day he was born! if he starts his little bursts of moaney crying im awake and tense and cant relax enough to go back to sleep. So I just get up.

I also find with the early bright mornings my fella is waking sooner. Ive ordered some black out fabric for the curtains, hope they arrive this week. I think my fella is just a really light sleeper like his poor mum! The birds wake me up at 4am!

Ha same here! Saturday is my 'lie in' and I havent had a lie in since the day he was born! if he starts his little bursts of moaney crying im awake and tense and cant relax enough to go back to sleep. So I just get up.

I also find with the early bright mornings my fella is waking sooner. Ive ordered some black out fabric for the curtains, hope they arrive this week. I think my fella is just a really light sleeper like his poor mum! The birds wake me up at 4am!

I actually think next weekend I'll stick as set of earplugs in once himself gets up with the baby. I really need the sleep, but I can't sleep if I hear him at all, I start to wonder if he's had his breakfast, if he's had his nap - nonsense, I know!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Ahhhh ovulation (likely) or pregnancy pain (unlikely but wishful thinking)....afraid to do test in case it's just ovulation pain....I will just spend the next two weeks hoping there is no period! Oh and magic number 8 ball says pregnant.....who needs clearblue!!!!

Otherwise actually start trying for another one in a few months....damn bills needing to be paid before trying again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I actually think next weekend I'll stick as set of earplugs in once himself gets up with the baby. I really need the sleep, but I can't sleep if I hear him at all, I start to wonder if he's had his breakfast, if he's had his nap - nonsense, I know!!

I have a brill white noise app that I put on when it's OH's turn to get up in the morning. My little fella is 2 so it's not so much crying that keeps me awake but toys being dropped on the floor or doors slammed. With the app I generally sleep right through all the noise :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think it depends on your children as well. Both of mine had/have a very very loud cry as babies. My daughter could wake the dead when she starts. Controlled crying just wouldn't have worked and the noise levels would've given me a stroke with the stress of it all. The no cry sleep solution worked for us. I was sceptical as it seemed a bit too softly softly but we sleep trained our sleep allergic daughter with minimal crying.

Is this complicated? I tried reading the book during a very sleepless period and it just seemed so complicated I stopped reading after a few minutes. My husband is back home after 3 months away and S is so excited he's gone from needing to be pried out of bed after 9am, to wanting to be up playing with his daddy at 5/6am. It's not so bad for me, I'm getting loads of sleep as he has no interest in boring old mammy, so I get to stay in bed. But it's playing havoc with our daily routine as he's napping during the times I normally take him to activities and then he wants a second nap later in the day, which he dropped about 10 months ago.

Ah im the EXACT same nikpmup! I dont think ear plugs will work for me just yet as we are in an apartment and kitchen is right beside the bedroom. Also we have cats and they HATE closed doors, so all doors open from about 7am. otherwise I get swatted in the face every few minutes to let a cat out :)
    also i have a silly husband - example last weekend, baby was happy and fed and changed,hubby was minding him about 9am. all quiet and Im about to dose off again when all I hear is screaming and banging from the tv! Hed decided to watch an episode of Vikings! I was too annoyed that hed decided to watch the next episode without me that I couldnt sleep LOL!

Ah im the EXACT same nikpmup! I dont think ear plugs will work for me just yet as we are in an apartment and kitchen is right beside the bedroom. Also we have cats and they HATE closed doors, so all doors open from about 7am. otherwise I get swatted in the face every few minutes to let a cat out :)
    also i have a silly husband - example last weekend, baby was happy and fed and changed,hubby was minding him about 9am. all quiet and Im about to dose off again when all I hear is screaming and banging from the tv! Hed decided to watch an episode of Vikings! I was too annoyed that hed decided to watch the next episode without me that I couldnt sleep LOL!

Book a hotel room so! :D

Book a hotel room so! :D

I may just have to to save my sanity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Talking of Vikings. They are looking for toddler boys to be in the next series. Sam fits the description of what they want but going Ashford is a bit too much of a trek for us. Though if anyone is closer and interested these are the details. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vikings-Extras/338071826263234?hc_location=timeline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Jack fits all that except 5 months too young

• Advertisement

It's not complicated at all but it's time consuming in the sense that you've to move through the stages. This can take 3-4 weeks so it's not a quick fix solution and there will be nights when you think it's ridiculous. However it does work if you're consistent

I think she makes it seem more complicated that necessary with having to take down times of waking every night etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭kitten_k

mom-sleeping.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

It's not complicated at all but it's time consuming in the sense that you've to move through the stages. This can take 3-4 weeks so it's not a quick fix solution and there will be nights when you think it's ridiculous. However it does work if you're consistent

I think she makes it seem more complicated that necessary with having to take down times of waking every night etc.

Do you remember from when you started doing this how strange? Sounds interesting!

dublinlady wrote: »
    We did controlled crying on both my girls and it worked excellently - I felt horrible but reassured by the fact that I was going in to comfort them every 2,4,7,8, or 10 mins - never longer than that. I'd definitely do it the same way again. We started it at 7 ish months as felt then they were old enough to self soothe a bit better and we really wanted them to be able to fall asleep without us shushing or holding them - after 2 or 3 days they just got it and are so happy going to bed now - at 2 and a quarter and almost 1 we have zero sleep issues. They go through odd spurts of early waking which is annoying but normally teeth or something so we can't do a lot about that! Needless to say if they are sick we scrap the controlled crying and just comfort when ever they need it and start again when they feel better and we can tell they are in good form with nothing bothering them - and then again it takes a day or two of controlled crying and they click back into the routine.

Thanks! Never had any problems with my daughter well not like this they I remember!!! Not sure which to try as its only at 4am I need yo do it!!! Did it upset or wake your eldest doing it with the youngest?

kandr10 wrote: »
    Do you remember from when you started doing this how strange? Sounds interesting!
    We started from 11 months and we started with cutting out the night feeds as we knew she wasn't waking for hunger at that stage. We could've started anytime after 8 months really but I kept up breastfeeding when I went back to work and as she got most of her feeds at night I waited until 11 months to tackle it.

We had the final eureka moment one weekend that my husband was away and I was in too much back pain to lean over the cot to sshh her went she started crying. Lo and behold she whinged and grouched for about 20 mins and then went to sleep.....all by herself. After that we stopped intervening at night unless she sounded distressed or upset. During that week she slept from 6.45-5.30. For the first time ever. She's done it about 2 times since. I can't tell you how much our lives have changed since she started sleeping. A huge stress has lifted off us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

We started from 11 months and we started with cutting out the night feeds as we knew she wasn't waking for hunger at that stage. We could've started anytime after 8 months really but I kept up breastfeeding when I went back to work and as she got most of her feeds at night I waited until 11 months to tackle it.

We had the final eureka moment one weekend that my husband was away and I was in too much back pain to lean over the cot to sshh her went she started crying. Lo and behold she whinged and grouched for about 20 mins and then went to sleep.....all by herself. After that we stopped intervening at night unless she sounded distressed or upset. During that week she slept from 6.45-5.30. For the first time ever. She's done it about 2 times since. I can't tell you how much our lives have changed since she started sleeping. A huge stress has lifted off us.

Wow! I'd say you must've been tearing your hair out alright. There's nothing easy about sleep deprivation. Once again thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm filing notes away mentally in the hope that when that time comes for us I'll have an idea of what to try :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Have a date on Friday :O so nervous!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Best of luck and enjoy yourself

loubian wrote: »
    Have a date on Friday :O so nervous!

Relax, enjoy being out on a social evening and don't think of it as a date. Think of it as something nice you're doing for yourself, like a massage or a girls night out. And even if you have to re-mortgage your parent's house on the sly and leave A in a cage in Dublin Zoo for a few hours, look seriously hot. It'll do you good to have him drool!

• Advertisement

Thanks! Never had any problems with my daughter well not like this they I remember!!! Not sure which to try as its only at 4am I need yo do it!!! Did it upset or wake your eldest doing it with the youngest?

Not at all - she rarely woke - infact maybe just once - but as I said this method meant our youngest was sleeping 7/7 within about 3 days so it didn't last very long!
    They actually seem to be both very heavy sleepers / once they actually get to sleep! Was contemplating letting them share a room but with the 2 year old maybe going into a big bed soon and possibly toilet training there's just too much going on!

And I understand people saying they couldn't handle controlled crying - but in both our cases it resulted in an awful lot less crying! For the first couple of days sure there was more - but they were never on their own and we never failed to respond - we just allowed them longer intervals to learn to self soothe which they did. This means that they are happy being laid down to sleep whilst still awake and on their own after a nice bedtime routine, they rarely cry and just snuggle down and relax. Controlled crying infers a coldness which just was not the case for us. I sat outside their rooms with my stopwatch set on my phone and every second I yearned to go in to cuddle them but I knew that for their sake and mine I needed to persist / we are talking max 3 days.
    With the two being so close in age I just quite frankly didn't have time to mess about with other approaches - due to my and my husbands work situations we are always on our own putting them to bed and so we need them to cooperate to allow it to happen smoothly without stress and drama all around! We get the youngest down first, leave her awake to settle whilst listening to some music with her night light on and then we start the eldest a routine with tooth brushing, story etc.
    But basically if we hasn't done sleep training then every evening would be full of tears and trauma as I can't be with two babies at once. This way they both get their routine and one on one time but then settle themselves happily.
    That's why I did it and would do it again for sure if we are ever lucky / brave enough to have a third! But I do think they need to be about 6 months or so as before that I just indulge all snuggle requirements as they really are not capable of sleeping long periods and I breastfed my second til 6/7 months and so always felt a bit funny about not cuddling her as she used to feed to sleep which was lovely and so It wouldn't have worked any other way!

I think they also just get used to the frequency if the siblings cry so it rarely wakes them. Our 2 are sharing now and the 3 year old isn't bothered by the 1 year old crying. The 1 year old sleeps through the 3 year olds running commentary of the days events which could go on for an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I think they also just get used to the frequency if the siblings cry so it rarely wakes them. Our 2 are sharing now and the 3 year old isn't bothered by the 1 year old crying. The 1 year old sleeps through the 3 year olds running commentary of the days events which could go on for an hour.

My 6 week old wakes the 2 year old if we dont get to him in time but he is very loud. He is in his own room as i was getting no sleep with the noise of his mooching and grunting. Their rooms arent even joined and she hears him. But she got grommets in jan so is hearing so much more.

She keeps waking him from his naps during the day. Its like pay back. I used to have him nap in travel cot in sitting room but i now have to put him in his bedroom and the lil divil goes in any chance she gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My 13 month old has a chest infection and he is needy.. 3 week old has an eye infection.. On an upside she is sleeping nearly all night just wakes at half 2 then sleeps till 8.. She feeds alot during the day though.!

J is now in his own room :( conked out but it's during the night that will tell the tale!!

He is gone very bad at napping, he might do an hour twice a day which ya think is grand but come 5 pm he's wrecked and won't nap! Then e starts hitting him!! He also wakes up when he hears her and she talks extra loud when he naps!

Had a bad hour here tonight with them. I felt so bad about everything. Not to bad now. Shoulders are killing me from the stress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Shocking to say i really enjoyed myself shopping this evening. Food shopping that is.

Put the 2 year old anf 6 week old to bed. Left OH and mysrlf and my mother went shopping. First time ive been child free in weeks. Then when dropping my mother home i popped in for cup of tea. Only realised the time when OH txt at 10.30 .

Never thought i would enjoy shopping. Used to hate it . We have now decided its going to be a weekly thing.
    How sad.

• Advertisement

That's great synester - sounds like u have a great sleeper there! :)

Red - don't worry - there's regularly bad phases and bad days but I promise it gets easier - and relatively quickly too! We used to find when S was still needing that 3rd nap that the only way she would get it was by hitting off in the buggy for 30 mins. We' d often prepare finger food for A to eat during the buggy at this time - 5ish - so that her dinner was almost done also!

Succee - any bit of freedom is invaluable!! Enjoy every second!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Just wondering has anyone here been to airfield farm and gardens in dundrum? Thinking of gojng this afternoon with hubby and the 2 kids and was wondering if anyone has any feedback?

Does anyone have any tips for me, my son keeps trying to escape from his car seat! No matter how tight he's strapped in, he can slip his arms out! (and he goes for the door handle - first time he did it we didn't have the child lock on, luckily we were stopped at lights! :( )

Does anyone have any tips for me, my son keeps trying to escape from his car seat! No matter how tight he's strapped in, he can slip his arms out! (and he goes for the door handle - first time he did it we didn't have the child lock on, luckily we were stopped at lights! :( )

This is supposed to be very effective, and safe. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Point-Plus-Escape-System-2-5-4/dp/B007FALY8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400332079&sr=8-1&keywords=five+point+plus

Thanks a million for that, it looks perfect! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement