Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

loubian wrote: »
    It's so annoying. I feel like they're gonna come soon then they don't show up. I've never actually been diagnosed with pcos. The (female) doc said last time that it could just be my cycle but I thought I'd at least be normal for a little while after having bubs.

The things us women have to put up with!

Get yourself investigated sooner rather than later. I've had ovarian drilling done to help stimulate them into ovulating and it still took time after that procedure to conceive. I don't have PCOS but there are some cysts on my ovaries that I needed that procedure done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Does anyone know what crumlin a&e is like on a Friday night? Little guys cough has gone into a deep wheeze that an inhaler, Vick, steamy bath or humidifier haven't helped at all. In the last hour he's already woken up in deep distress. It might be nothing but it frightens me so much. if he is distressed in the next hour or two we're thinking of taking him to crumlin to see if they can put him on a nebuliser. Has anyone else had similar experiences? He's only 14 months by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

yellow hen wrote: »
    Does anyone know what crumlin a&e is like on a Friday night? Little guys cough has gone into a deep wheeze that an inhaler, Vick, steamy bath or humidifier haven't helped at all. In the last hour he's already woken up in deep distress. It might be nothing but it frightens me so much. if he is distressed in the next hour or two we're thinking of taking him to crumlin to see if they can put him on a nebuliser. Has anyone else had similar experiences? He's only 14 months by the way.

Agh had big response written and lost it on my stupid phone! Basically saying - I've only been there in an emergency on a fri pm and it wasn't too busy - but maybe phone them before I go to see what it's like and what to expect when u get there?
    Also phoning east doc or your local out of hours service is really helpful as you get to talk to a doctor - altho I think they close at ten or so?
    But basically wanted to say - my little one had croup recently and it was horrendous - I know how stressful and upsetting it can be so really hope u and him are ok - hugs x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We brought O to Crumlin A&E on a Saturday night when he was 14 months. Obviously every night is different but we were home within 3 hours and that included an hour of observation. If they're busy then children are assessed and treated on a needs basis. I hope he's feeling better soon

Thanks. After a rocky two hours he seems to have settled into a rhythmical sleep. I'm sleeping in his room and if I feel his breathing gets worse we'll go. There no doubt it's bronchiolitis so we'll have to get an antibiotic anyway but it might wait until tomorrow. Is anyone aware of a weekend doc in st Luke's or somewhere nearby? Someone told me of one previously but I don't have the details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Thanks. After a rocky two hours he seems to have settled into a rhythmical sleep. I'm sleeping in his room and if I feel his breathing gets worse we'll go. There no doubt it's bronchiolitis so we'll have to get an antibiotic anyway but it might wait until tomorrow. Is anyone aware of a weekend doc in st Luke's or somewhere nearby? Someone told me of one previously but I don't have the details.

hope he and you get some sleep tonight. the poor thing. my 6 month old had that. not nice.

i think we are going through the 6 month growth spurt here. the last 2 days he is very clingy and whingy and tired and his naps are wierd. he is still waking at 4am :( he is not rolling over yet and is not sitting up on his own. seems to be over his septic throat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Oh the poor thing. My daughter had that at 14 months and the cough was awful. I hope he gets better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

You worry when they are coughing and you worry when they're sleeping soundly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Aw I hope the little lad is ok soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Crumlin and Temple Street have extra staff rostered for this weekend (with the 1 Direction concerts in Croke Park). You should be ok for Crumlin but it will be a lot busier than usual- as for Temple Street- avoid if at all possible- its just down the road from Croke Park. The issue is a significant number of minors (u14s) who have bought pitch tickets, some accompanied, some not.

Last night wasn't too bad after all but the wheeze was very bad again this morn so we went to doc on call and got sent straight to crumlin. Been there most of the day getting him checked etc. he's fine but perhaps showing a tendency for asthma which can't be diagnosed at this age. Steroids and inhalers again. Poor little mite :(

Last night wasn't too bad after all but the wheeze was very bad again this morn so we went to doc on call and got sent straight to crumlin. Been there most of the day getting him checked etc. he's fine but perhaps showing a tendency for asthma which can't be diagnosed at this age. Steroids and inhalers again. Poor little mite :(
    The poor little fella. At least you have the inhalers etc ready for the next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Poor baba, hope he gets better soon

turns out i have a vitamin D dificiency. my thyroid got swollen which resulted in scans and tests and this is the result. this is apparently why i keep getting sick cos my immune system is not working properly and it all manifested in my thyroid. so im now hoping with the vitamin d3 vitamins i will start feeling more myself and not as tired. i knew it was more than normal baby tiredness/sickness getting to me!

speaking of that J woke several times last night screaming. i dont know if it was teething or over tiredness but i had to let my husband deal with him. i just couldnt. i was so tired and it was all getting to me thinking he will never sleep!! hoping tonight will be better. his chubby cheeky smile helps during the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I'm B12 deficient should be getting jabs but not started yet. My daughters only 5 weeks though and couldn't do anything while pregnant.. Also tired with it. My sins 13 months and has been awake the last 2 nights in bad form and hard to get down tonight.. How olds yours red fraggle

I'm B12 deficient should be getting jabs but not started yet. My daughters only 5 weeks though and couldn't do anything while pregnant.. Also tired with it. My sins 13 months and has been awake the last 2 nights in bad form and hard to get down tonight.. How olds yours red fraggle

my son is 6 months. he hasnt slept a full night yet :( he has always done a 4am wakin where he seems unsettled for over an hour. a few nights we have gotten to 6am so i know he can do it i just dont know why he doesnt!

2 kids is a different ball game! love them both to bits but the sleepless nights or waking at night for hours is so hard!i wouldnt mind if he woke for a few mins then settled. my daughter is great and doesnt wake when he is screamin or if she does she doesnt call us! shes 2 and 5 months!

heres hoping both ours boys sleep tonight! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

turns out i have a vitamin D dificiency. my thyroid got swollen which resulted in scans and tests and this is the result. this is apparently why i keep getting sick cos my immune system is not working properly and it all manifested in my thyroid. so im now hoping with the vitamin d3 vitamins i will start feeling more myself and not as tired. i knew it was more than normal baby tiredness/sickness getting to me!

My pet subject: I have thyroid problems and was vitamin d deficient at one stage too: I felt so much better after getting my levels back up. Fingers crossed it's the same for you :) I was getting 5/6 antibiotics a year at the time I can't emphasize enough how much better it made me feel!

my son is 6 months. he hasnt slept a full night yet :( he has always done a 4am wakin where he seems unsettled for over an hour. a few nights we have gotten to 6am so i know he can do it i just dont know why he doesnt!

2 kids is a different ball game! love them both to bits but the sleepless nights or waking at night for hours is so hard!i wouldnt mind if he woke for a few mins then settled. my daughter is great and doesnt wake when he is screamin or if she does she doesnt call us! shes 2 and 5 months!

heres hoping both ours boys sleep tonight! :)

Yeah I've a 5 week old and some nights she stays awake 2 till 4 or 6 but last night 9pm till 6 and 13 month old thankfully down all night.. I've gotten the baby to do 9 hours a few times so going to mimic it again tonight.. If we get her at it a week we may be in business..

My little lady was 7 and half months when he slept through.. He had a bottle at 1am then it moved to 12 then 10pm and then he just stopped over few weeks so it will happen just persavere with his rythm it's easier if he works it out himself

Things still totally crap in our house. The steroid and inhalers are slowly easing the wheeze but it has been replaced by the largest amount of mucus I've ever heard in a child. Saturday night he was awake almost all night gagging and almost choking on the gunge. Last night I caved and gave him 3ml of dozol and after a rocky start, he slept from 11 to 5. Awake since 5 though roaring crying with the coughing. I ended up lifting him out and playing with him because at least if he was upright he wasnt choking. Just googled RSV now and saw that the mucus can remain for up to 2 weeks :eek:

• Advertisement

Things still totally crap in our house. The steroid and inhalers are slowly easing the wheeze but it has been replaced by the largest amount of mucus I've ever heard in a child. Saturday night he was awake almost all night gagging and almost choking on the gunge. Last night I caved and gave him 3ml of dozol and after a rocky start, he slept from 11 to 5. Awake since 5 though roaring crying with the coughing. I ended up lifting him out and playing with him because at least if he was upright he wasnt choking. Just googled RSV now and saw that the mucus can remain for up to 2 weeks :eek:

I feel for you so much. We're a month into RSV - it's been terrible but it has gotten a whole lot better (the cough and the wheeze are not all that bad anymore). It was like it was at the beginning when we brought him home again with waking up so so much but we all slept through last night and it was pure bliss. His reflux wedges worked really well too in keeping the mucus from choking him so prop up the top of the cot if you haven't done so. I also put olbas everywhere from his bath (a teeny tiny amount of the bath stuff in his baby bath) to some on a teddy in his cot and a little olbas vaporiser on in the room. We all smell menthol fresh but our little boy is lots better and doesn't have those crazy coughing fits anymore. I swear by olbas oil to clear congestion.

I feel for you so much. We're a month into RSV - it's been terrible but it has gotten a whole lot better (the cough and the wheeze are not all that bad anymore). It was like it was at the beginning when we brought him home again with waking up so so much but we all slept through last night and it was pure bliss. His reflux wedges worked really well too in keeping the mucus from choking him so prop up the top of the cot if you haven't done so. I also put olbas everywhere from his bath (a teeny tiny amount of the bath stuff in his baby bath) to some on a teddy in his cot and a little olbas vaporiser on in the room. We all smell menthol fresh but our little boy is lots better and doesn't have those crazy coughing fits anymore. I swear by olbas oil to clear congestion.

Your baby has it a month :eek: God, I'm not sure I'll function that long!
    I have his cot titled, humidifier on in room, vicks on chest, olbas on everything, steamy bath before bed.......the dozol will be out again tonight!

Little guy let a sneeze this morn and the biggest greenest snot I've ever seen in my life came flying out. It was so satisfying to see some of the mucus move!:o

What age is your baby?

Your baby has it a month :eek: God, I'm not sure I'll function that long!
    I have his cot titled, humidifier on in room, vicks on chest, olbas on everything, steamy bath before bed.......the dozol will be out again tonight!

Little guy let a sneeze this morn and the biggest greenest snot I've ever seen in my life came flying out. It was so satisfying to see some of the mucus move!:o

What age is your baby?

Get out the old saline spray and squirt up the nose. It's amazing at getting that mucus out!!! We've been using the whole time and it's brilliant as every time we use it he gets out lots...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Anyone know what the story is with Calgel? I know it didn't used to be available in Ireland, why was that? And can you get it here now? I hear people raving on about it, but wouldn't want to use it if there are risks associated with it. :/

Also, how often would you use Calpol for teething? Recently we've ended up using it a couple of times a week, but no more than one 2.5ml spoon on any particular day ... does that sound like way too much? He's almost five months old now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭iguana

It stopped being sold here due to an administrative licensing issue nothing to do with it's safety. It can be used as often as needed.

iguana wrote: »
    It stopped being sold here due to an administrative licensing issue nothing to do with it's safety. It can be used as often as needed.

Great, thanks! Will look into ordering some.

Sorry the second part of my post, about how often to use it, was actually about Calpol, not Calgel! :pac: Confusing!

Anyone know what the story is with Calgel? I know it didn't used to be available in Ireland, why was that? And can you get it here now? I hear people raving on about it, but wouldn't want to use it if there are risks associated with it. :/

Also, how often would you use Calpol for teething? Recently we've ended up using it a couple of times a week, but no more than one 2.5ml spoon on any particular day ... does that sound like way too much? He's almost five months old now.

McNeill, the manufacturer, have not applied for a licence to sell Calgel here. Apparently, the cost of licensing it here, would be prohibitive, given how small our market is.

Its topical lidocaine (Lidocaine Hydrochloride), and can be applied as required, aka, you do not need to space it. Given the nature of the gel- it probably works for 15-20 minutes- from personal experience, if you use it just before sleeptime- it helps them go to sleep.

If you're going North to buy it- also recommend you pop into Boots- they do their own own-brand version of Calgel, exact same formulation- but just 69p a tube.

It doesn't have any paracetamol or ibuprofen in it- so it can be used in conjunction with them (or on its own), as appropriate.

Great, thanks! Will look into ordering some.

Sorry the second part of my post, about how often to use it, was actually about Calpol, not Calgel! :pac: Confusing!

Calpol-

Don't give it to any child under 2 months of age, or a Premie, without doctors or pharmacists advice.

Otherwise- Leave at least 4 hours between doses. Max 4 doses in any 24 hours. Maximum continued use (on a continual basis)- 3 days.

From personal experience- if its really bad- Neurofen works faster- and lasts longer, than Calpol- but make sure you ask for advice from the pharmacist.

Very useful leaflet from the makers of Neurofen attached here.

• Advertisement

Very useful leaflet from the makers of Neurofen attached here.

Thank you, that's really helpful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Think I can see/feel one of my 6.5 month olds top teeth. She is like a bear the last couple of days, she's clingy and can't settle to anything. She's had 3 foul smelling, loose nappies in the last 2-3 hours too. Anyone else find that with teething? She has no temperature.

We found ours always had foul smelling nappies when they were cutting teeth. I always looked at the colour of their poo as a doctor in Crumlin told us once that poo which is lighter colour than usual and smells foul indicates a tummy bug. So if the poo is the normal colour but stinks then we know to expect a tooth soon after.

I was in Boots today, looking at make-up and nothing else, and I had one of the pharmacists there come up and stick her head into the buggy and say to him,

"I'll give you an oul carrot for your oul hand! An oul carrot for your oul hand! An oul carrot! An oul carrot! An oul carrot for your oul hand! Hahahahaha"

And then, she wandered off again.

I'm not really sure what to make of that encounter! :D Maybe she thought my little not-quite-five-month-old isn't getting enough veggies in his diet, by the looks of him ... or maybe she's actually off her trolley ... but she was in the proper pharmacist uniform and all ...

The longer I have a child, and the more I have these bizarre weird conversations (or, in this case, non-conversations!) about him, the more I realise that people are weird.

Just ... even ... what? Even now I'm wondering, what the hell was that?!

I was in Boots today, looking at make-up and nothing else, and I had one of the pharmacists there come up and stick her head into the buggy and say to him,

"I'll give you an oul carrot for your oul hand! An oul carrot for your oul hand! An oul carrot! An oul carrot! An oul carrot for your oul hand! Hahahahaha"

I'm not really sure what to make of that encounter! :D Maybe she thought my little not-quite-five-month-old isn't getting enough veggies in his diet, by the looks of him ... or maybe she's actually off her trolley ... but she was in the proper pharmacist uniform and all ...

The longer I have a child, and the more I have these bizarre weird conversations (or, in this case, non-conversations!) about him, the more I realise that people are weird.

I've had a few peculiar encounters in Boots too. My little girl has massive eyes and chubby cheeks and on 2-3 occasions different assistants have leaned right in cooing over her eyes and pinching her cheeks.

In parts of rural Ireland- its a old remedy for teething- give the child a carrot and let them gnaw on it........

• Advertisement

Bizarre, I had something similar today. I was in Aldi, looking at something, I turned back to the buggy and this aul wan had her head RIGHT inside the buggy at his face. I couldn't see what she was doing; thankfully she re-emerged before I had the chance to reef her head away from him! People are mad. The first time I had Hugo out after getting home from hospital (I was in a coffee shop) I was holding him, and this bonkers aul wan comes over cooing and holding her arms out for a hold! Er, no love. I kind of turned away from her, she huffed and walked off. Yes, get insulted because I won't let a total stranger hold my week old son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I'm actually in knots reading this!

I've a 13 year old sister and at her age I was raring her.. She has everything she needs and more gets away with war and so on.. I asked Mam to come to town with me today for a few mins to help with 2 unhappy babies due to the heat.. I get every every excuse then said its last time she's helping.. Jacks 13 months and only ever asked for help with him for her BCG and the like..

Anyway after years of her pushing me away I snapped and needless to say I told her what I thought.. She said everyone can manage so can I even though for my sisters first 2 years she didn't.. Infact rarely seen her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I got a jpmbb today :D can't wait to put bubs in it :D:D

I have one too, I love it :) It takes a while to get the hang of how to put it on, but once you do it's lovely and snug. My little man loves it, and it's great for nights when he's teething or cranky and just needs to be soothed

• Advertisement

We're starting potty training tomorrow. I have the creche warned for next week so no turning back. A will be 2.5 next weekend.
    Wish me luck!!

Best of luck with the potty training. We did it last October and I was dreading it. I had visions of pools of pee everywhere and finding little hidden poos weeks later. It was fine and actually very little mess. We started on a Friday and on Monday we dared to go to the playground. I brought the potty in a plastic bag but within weeks we'd ditched the potty and he was using his 'magic seat' on the toilet.

Best of luck with the potty training. We did it last October and I was dreading it. I had visions of pools of pee everywhere and finding little hidden poos weeks later. It was fine and actually very little mess. We started on a Friday and on Monday we dared to go to the playground. I brought the potty in a plastic bag but within weeks we'd ditched the potty and he was using his 'magic seat' on the toilet.

Thanks!

No potty in this house. She already sits on the toilet to pee before her bath so we're not going down the potty route. I bought her a seat for the toilet but she hates it and prefers to hold onto the loo for dear life...... Strange girl :)
    I'm not expecting it to be easy but I'm not going to stress about it. We have tiles throughout the apartment and it's warm and sunny so it'll be t-shirt and knickers only for the next 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We were very naive and took a trip to IKEA 4 days in... queue me running around with Addison in my arms trying to find the toilet. We did make it though!

Emily was potty trained in a day or 2. She was very good. She's trained 6 weeks now and I'm so proud when she goes in someone's house or a restaurant or comes in from outside to go! The little things!

My 6 month old is over 21 pounds!!! What are others 6 months old weighing? Just curious!

Emily was potty trained in a day or 2. She was very good. She's trained 6 weeks now and I'm so proud when she goes in someone's house or a restaurant or comes in from outside to go! The little things!

My 6 month old is over 21 pounds!!! What are others 6 months old weighing? Just curious!

My little girl will be 7 months next week and she weighed 20lb at 6 months so quite big too!

I finally got a really nice good double buggy.. Am over the moon it actually fits into both cars and it's light... So now I gotta sell my double stroller that we only used twice..

Anyone who needs a double I recommend the gracho trekko

Wow! I'd love it if A would do it that quickly.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I finally got a really nice good double buggy.. Am over the moon it actually fits into both cars and it's light... So now I gotta sell my double stroller that we only used twice..

Anyone who needs a double I recommend the gracho trekko

Have this. Its great. Takes the car seat and all. And fits in to most shops. And so easy to push.

• Advertisement
Advertisement