Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Play Bunny wrote: »
    thanks cap, still thinking of names keep changing my mind lol, as for potty training the potty isnt out 24/7 at the mo she keeps telling me she has pee'd and its to late so trying to get her on time, tough oul going all the same, ive until end of june to get her sorted cant wait for it to be done anything else i dont mind doing

have u had an oppertunity again to find out ur baby's sex?

That's brill that she is aware that she's wet herself and is telling you. our little madam used to tell us when she had done a dirty nappy, but she hates having her nappy changed so now she wont tell us at all!

No, haven't had a scan since so still in the dark about the sex! I really hope when I look at baby the perfect name will spring to mind, because I have no inspiration at the moment!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Leztanelly

Hello all

Before I start, congrats to all for your little bundles who are quickly growing before your eyes.

I'm so sorry pester you all. I've been trying to figure out how to start a thread/sub forum. Similar to this, but off the topic chat for toddlers-schoolies. How they are progressing & how we parents are doing. You know handling the continuing challenges. This would be of course just like this sub forum, a safe place to laugh at our little one's adventures, cry with them when they are sad and even let of some steam when things can sometimes get a bit rough.

I originally started a thread and few people responded saying it would be a great idea to start a sub forum for this category. So whilst I realize this is for newborns - toddlers I figured some of you may have more than one child one of which are this category or about to enter it. If your nodding your head with me, along with others how have also said "yup great idea". Here's the thing I have no idea how to create a sub forum....

Hence me pestering you. So on that note I leave you all to you little, little, little people and hope you can help me? Do any of you know how to create a sub forum for toddlers to grammar school?

Thanks so much and again congrats.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You can not create a sub forum only the Admins can..

If you would like to request one go to Sys > Forum Requests.

I also do not get what you want the forum to be about..? 3/4 year olds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Haven't been on for a while, hope everyone is good!

Cbyrd, what a scare. I live in terror of something like that happening to us. I'm an okay driver but the roads around here are pretty crap, always covered in mud from farms etc and I'm like a granny going round bends I'm so scared I'll skid! Hope ye're all okay and that the pain disappears fast for you.

Hannibal, we had our first chuckle here too, actually on her 3rd month birthday! It was very random. I was carrying her into the bedroom where hubbie was playing with toddler and I banged on the door as I came in (scary monster style) and the next thing baby threw her head back and roared with laughter, a real belly chuckle. It was hilarious - we were banging on the door for about half an hour, she laughed each time! But not a hint of a laugh out of her since, I think that was our quota for this month!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Tigeress

Cybrd so glad you're ok hun! What an awful scare! So lad re boys are fine too :) hope the painkillers work & you're back to normal in no time xx

Hannible & Cat Congrats on the first giggles :) hehe

Playbunny Congrats :) a little boy! So exciting!

Nathan turned 7 weeks yest :) flying through! Getting loads and loads of smiles hehe I just love it! I do have a Q though.. He has bad cradle cap :( the Doc told me to put olive oil on every second day & brush out, I've been doing it for just over a week now & it seems to be getting worse than better.. Any advise? I heard there is some special shampoos you can get to help too so I'm going to the chemist tomorrow to get one.. I know it's not annoying him but I feel like crying while trying to brush it out :( his scalp gets so red so quick & I'm terrified of hurting him.. I even got my Mum to do it once for me cause I started welling up..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ellen had bad cradle cap, we used baby oil, let it soak in for a while (even overnight if you can) and then got a plastic lice comb and scraped it out. She didn't seem too bothered by it, but she is older than Nathan (she's 4 months now). It got rid of nearly all of it in one go. I wouldn't use the shampoo's they just seem to be a quick fix (used them on Addison until my mum took hold one day and sorted it with the baby oil and lice comb), his head will get red but unless it's hurting him I wouldn't be getting upset. Sometimes mammy just has to be strong and do it, it's better in the long run :)

January wrote: »
    Ellen had bad cradle cap, we used baby oil, let it soak in for a while (even overnight if you can) and then got a plastic lice comb and scraped it out. She didn't seem too bothered by it, but she is older than Nathan (she's 4 months now). It got rid of nearly all of it in one go. I wouldn't use the shampoo's they just seem to be a quick fix (used them on Addison until my mum took hold one day and sorted it with the baby oil and lice comb), his head will get red but unless it's hurting him I wouldn't be getting upset. Sometimes mammy just has to be strong and do it, it's better in the long run :)

Thanks January :) I might give the lice comb a go if it doesn't start to settle in the next few days.. I combed more out this evening with the newborn brush & he wasn't impressed :( I gave him a bath afterward though & he loves his baths so I think I'm forgiven for now hehe.. I never thought of the baby oil! Is it better than the olive oil?!

I always find the baby oil more slippy than vegetable/olive oil, for some reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Our little guy has cradle cap....we've tried everything, nothing will get rid of it. He has a bath every second day and we've used the oil trick we've tried not using anything in the water, tried using johnsons in the water, I've rubbed his scalp while he's in the water and it's wet....nothing will get rid of it. I can actually see his scalp drying up as soon as he's out of the bath. The PHN suggested some special cradle cap shampoo but apparently you can only use it twice a week?

At this stage I was going to just let him grow out of it....but I'm a bit concerned by January's 'better in the long run' comment...it will clear up won't it? :eek:

I always find the baby oil more slippy than vegetable/olive oil, for some reason!

Oh....I haven't tried baby oil...I'll give that a go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yep we used baby oil too and I think someone on here recommended picking at it the next day although a lice comb would probably be just as or even more effective. We used to slather the baby oil on at bed time so it had all night to absorb.

Yep we used baby oil too and I think someone on here recommended picking at it the next day although a lice comb would probably be just as or even more effective. We used to slather the baby oil on at bed time so it had all night to absorb.

I was told never to pick it!

I picked it all the time :eek:

I picked it all the time :eek:

:eek: Nooooo! :eek:

Haaahaaa...well I'm only going on what the GP and PHN said...you know yourself another professional could tell another mum something else....but they all said to me not to pick it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

We used baby oil/olive oil and let it sit in for a good hour or two. Then brushed it off with a soft baby brush in a circular motion, kind of like an exfoliator. Worked fine for us although Ella never had a huge amount of cradle cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Don't be afraid to scrub baby's head when you're washing it.. it's well able to take a scrubbing from the pads of your fingers.. i have to say out of necessity i've washed mine with pantene. . :eek: he had a little on the top of his head and rather than leave the 2 in the bath or take him out and run down stairs i used the pantene scrubbed for a min or 2 and he's no sign of cradle cap since..

Youngest cbyrd laughs out loud when i put a cold wipe on his bum.. its hilarious :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chillichick

Hi all I am new to this thread following boards parenting since I was pregnant.It is great reading all about the new babies and parents.I had a little girl Isabel who is now 4 months old.just popped in to say hello to all.

Hi all I am new to this thread following boards parenting since I was pregnant.It is great reading all about the new babies and parents.I had a little girl Isabel who is now 4 months old.just popped in to say hello to all.

My little girl is 4 months old now too :) Welcome to the forum!

Ellen is your little girl lovely name January.Did you start her on the baby rice? i started feeding my little one last week as she was fed up of the bottles.
    She is great eating sunshine orange breakfast and her little dinners much more settled in her self now.
    god time has gone so fast never thought I would get here the first 3months are so hard especially when you first time parent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Welcome Chillichick! Such a gorgeous name for your little girl :)

I found pure olive oil worked brill for removing cradle cap, baby smelled like chips though after it :pac:

I was also told not to pick at it, though the advice definitely seems to change every week when it come's to babies so I think whatever works for you!
    I think it is because picking at it is supposed to leave it raw/prone to infection, though not sure how true that is.

I used the olive oil and a soft baby comb when she was younger, but as she got older she hate's having her hair brushed so I just left it be & she has hardly any these days, it has gone by itself.

• Advertisement

little girls really don't like to be poked at.
    my little one hates getting dressed or undressed or washed haha.
    she just wants to be left alone lying on the floor playing or watching Peppa.

Ellen is your little girl lovely name January.Did you start her on the baby rice? i started feeding my little one last week as she was fed up of the bottles.
    She is great eating sunshine orange breakfast and her little dinners much more settled in her self now.
    god time has gone so fast never thought I would get here the first 3months are so hard especially when you first time parent.

She's not on the spoon just yet, but I did buy a box of baby rice today! I'll probably start her on Saturday, she has a busy day tomorrow, her god parents are bringing her out to buy her her christening present (or presents if I know them like I know I do :\ ).

Cap, Addison HATES having her hair brushed too, she wakes up in the morning and tells me "Mammy, I don't need my hair brushed today"... poor thing screams. Saoirse loves it though, but that may be because she has no hair haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Oops! I'm a cradle cap picker as well! :eek:
    As well as dousing his head with olive oil, and giving it a rub with a sponge in the bath...
    There's still a bit there but I haven't tried overlyhard to get rid of it cos it's never been that bad. :rolleyes:
    He's started on the "solids" as well... skipped the baby rice and just went straight to veg. 5 months tomorrow so another 2 weeks and I'm going to switch to baby led weaning techniques. All the purees in the freezer will probably have been worked through at that stage as well! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Wow liliq 5 months already! For baby led weaning 6 months is considered the minimum as its something to do with the tongue thrust which stops at 6 months. I was dying to start my fella on blw from 5 1/2 months but that was the general advice I got. I used to let him suck on a peach, pear, plum or another soft ripe fruit from 5 1/2 months; I'd hold it and he'd grab onto it and suck all the juices out. He used to get so excited and by that stage I really wanted to start him on solids. If I'd intended to do purees I'd probably have started by then. Starting on solid food is such an important milestone especially for the parents. At 7 months he wrestled (and won) my husbands cousin for a piece of ham roll and shoved it all in his mouth. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my older girl would lunge at people or their plates and steal their food,my baby had no interest until about 7 months.
    We never used baby rice.
    The little feeding nets are brilliant,you can stick fruit in it and they an chew on it themselves.

how strange that is so funny about the roll shows how determined babies are to get what they want.

my little one was the same before i started feeding her nearly grabbing stuff off my plate and she is only 4months haha!
    love feeding her and seeing the faces when she tries something new.

The baby oil worked a treat!!! I swear I've tried everything.....but put the baby oil on after reading January's post yesterday....left it on till about 5pm....and combed it out with a baby comb and brush....I thought he'd howl...but he loved it...was smiling and goo-ing up at me so I kept going! Nice one! :D

Little fella will be four months next week....he's dying to start on the solids by the looks of him...he watches us like a hawk when we're eating...but I'll give him another few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Hi all, been nosing here for awhile now:). My little woman is just over 4 weeks now. She's my 3rd girl, her big sisters are quite a bit older than her at 11 and 18, so it's really like starting all over again! Tried to breastfeed while still in hospital but discovered she's tongue tied, which made it really hard for her to latch on. I swear I never realised being tongue tied was an actual condition:eek:. We are not having the best of days today. I have her on Aptamil. She's a very windy baby, I am using Infacol on and off to try and help this. Today she's looking for a bottle every 2 hours, then falling asleep after very slowly taking 2ozs. So I'm changing her to try and rouse her a bit to take more. Swear to God, some days it feels just like one long endless bottle, it takes so long to get her to take one, it's nearly time for the next. Whereas on a good day she takes 4oz bottles, and goes longer in between. I've heard Aptamil makes babies windy ?? But on the plus side, she sleeps well enough overnight, maybe 5 to 6 hours. Sorry for the whinge, she's lovely, and I think I'll keep her now ha! Just having a day where I don't know if I'm coming or going....

Thanks for all the advise on te cradle cap ladies :) trying the baby oil as we speak hehe! Will try brush it out later tonight.. I moved my little man onto Aptimil Stage 2 for hungrier babies, he's 7.5weeks now & go's 4 hours between feeds during the day & taking between 5-6 ounces a feed :o he's a little monster! He's filling out his 3-6 month clothes now Eek! Hopefully this new formula will get him sleeping through the night for me now :) I can't believe how quickly it's gone so far! Feels a life time ago since I was pregnant!

• Advertisement

hi 73cat my little one was on aptimal stage 1. she was very cross and windy on this so we changed her on the comfort aptimal what a change she was like a different baby. we never tried any of the infacol or anything like that just went on to the comfort straight away.

she used to have her horror evening where wed walk the floors with her trying to settle her to no avail.shed be screaming and screaming!!now she goes down to bed in the evning with a smile.

hope everyone is enjoying motherhood it is wonderful pooey nappies and sleepless nights and all haha!

Advertisement