Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

When do toddlers stop napping? We were out at a festival this morning and came home for S' normal nap time. He looked so tired I thought he'd fall asleep in the buggy but he came home, fed (which normally sends him to sleep) and has been wide awake and full of beans ever since. I know it's possible the festival has him a bit wired but I don't think so as we often have very exciting mornings and he naps just fine. He had a massive poo about an hour ago and I thought that was keeping him awake and he'd sleep after that but he's been even more energetic since then. He's only 18mo, I'm not ready for naps to be a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I think it depends on the toddler. Some of them give it up sooner than others. My 2.5 year old still needs a nap, but someone should tell her that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

26 months here & we still do an hour to hour & half nap daily thank god :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭sillysocks

My 3.5 year old still had a two hour nap until last week! And would be totally out for the count when I went to wake her after 2 hours. Still went to bed around 7.30. The two hours in afternoon was bliss cause her 1 year old brother went the same time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Yep 2 yr old (25 months) still takes an hour and a half most days. But she can go without if were out she might just have a snooze in the buggy or car. But i dont make that a regular thing as i need that nap too. 9 week old naps at the same time too.

He definitely missed his nap yesterday. By late afternoon he was very clearly wanting to sleep, so we had to keep him awake until evening in order to avoid him having a late nap then being up 'til midnight. He was passed out by 7pm, he's normally a 9.30pm-9.30am sleeper, and slept until after 8 this morning. Hopefully we'll go back to normal today. I'm just about to put him down now, so wish me luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Little bubs is not well at all :( my usual energetic crazy little girl is so tired and sleepy. We're going to the ddoc at 2! She has a rash, looks like heat rash, n a fever. Google says measles but we'll wait to see what the doc says. Could just be a throat infection but again we'll just see what doc says! Was meant to be going out tonight with my friend! My mam is still offering to babysit but feel guilty for leaving my sick baby. I'll see what the doc says n then decide!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

loubian wrote: »
    Little bubs is not well at all :( my usual energetic crazy little girl is so tired and sleepy. We're going to the ddoc at 2! She has a rash, looks like heat rash, n a fever. Google says measles but we'll wait to see what the doc says. Could just be a throat infection but again we'll just see what doc says! Was meant to be going out tonight with my friend! My mam is still offering to babysit but feel guilty for leaving my sick baby. I'll see what the doc says n then decide!

She has an ear infection! Poor baba :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

loubian wrote: »
    She has an ear infection! Poor baba :(

Hopes she feels better soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

is anyone elses child making a whining / straining noise for no apparant reason? Our little guy has been doing this all day today - long, drawn out whines, like the air being squeezed out of a balloon and sometimes sounds like he's pushing something out. Anything we try does not work -he's not hungry, his teeth aren't at him, he's not wet, he's already pooped today and that's his quota - but he's at this noise constantly and it grates on the nerves after a while! I read online that he could be just finding his voice - if that's the case, I hope he finds it soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

is anyone elses child making a whining / straining noise for no apparant reason? Our little guy has been doing this all day today - long, drawn out whines, like the air being squeezed out of a balloon and sometimes sounds like he's pushing something out. Anything we try does not work -he's not hungry, his teeth aren't at him, he's not wet, he's already pooped today and that's his quota - but he's at this noise constantly and it grates on the nerves after a while! I read online that he could be just finding his voice - if that's the case, I hope he finds it soon!

I reckon that's exactly what it is Cunning Stunt!

Speaking of finding his voice my 2 month old was cooing away at me earlier after his bath (loves the bath) when he made a real load AGOO. he frightened the crap out of himself. Ya no the way they jump when babies and the arms fly out. Poor baba.

Loubian hope shes better soon.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

My one year old is teething, trying to stand, and must be going through a development stage. Mrs beery is away till tomorrow night, God it's been a tough weekend. The other fellow is hoarse, maybe laryngitis? It'll pass with plenty of fluids, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My wife is heading home with the kids for 6 weeks tomorrow. 6 weeks of sleep and not having to watch peppa pig:):)

Will secretly miss them and be totally lost without them :(:(

beertons wrote: »
    My one year old is teething, trying to stand, and must be going through a development stage. Mrs beery is away till tomorrow night, God it's been a tough weekend. The other fellow is hoarse, maybe laryngitis? It'll pass with plenty of fluids, right?

Wouldn't depend on it, I'd give it a day or two and if still the same bring him to docs.

• Advertisement

beertons wrote: »
    The other fellow is hoarse, maybe laryngitis? It'll pass with plenty of fluids, right?

My daughter had laryngitis last year and needed an antibiotic to clear it. As already suggested I'd leave it maybe a day or so more but then go to the doctor if it hasn't improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Don't want to freak you out, but do keep an eye on him in case it's something more sinister. The last time our little guy made those straining grunting noises i thought he was just constipated but we ended up in a&e and 4 days in hospital with a nasty virus. Turns out the grunting was a respiratory issue. If you notice a temp bring him to the doctors.

4 months sleep regression in full swing here plus our toddler started to have nightmares. So no one is getting any sleep here. Grrrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Secret Life of Babies on UTV at the moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

nikpmup wrote: »
    Secret Life of Babies on UTV at the moment :)

Was just coming in to post the same thing :D

I do now want to run up the stairs and snuggle and hug my little man into oblivion :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Would liked to have watched it.. Game of thrones is on here though

That looks interesting. (I loved The Secret Life of Dogs.) I'll try to watch it on the ITVPlayer for tomorrow's naptime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Was just coming in to post the same thing :D

So was I... Until my mum snatched my phone and told me go without it for an hour!!! I got it back eventually! You wouldn't think I was a grown woman with 2 kids!

Would liked to have watched it.. Game of thrones is on here though

Do u know if there's a repeat on during the week and which channel? Missed the sky Atlantic one on Monday :(

It's on tonight at 10:45 Sunday at 9:00 and the next one then Monday.. There's no chance it's missed here husband would loose the plot

Sligo1 wrote: »
    So was I... Until my mum snatched my phone and told me go without it for an hour!!! I got it back eventually! You wouldn't think I was a grown woman with 2 kids!

Haahaa...I actually only got to watch for 5 mins...then we found serial complainers on c4 and that won out lol

Where do you all get energy to watch tv. Even with babas in bed for 7.30 im still falling asleep on the couch at 9 . I find im not taking in whats happening even watching the soaps. Needs more concentration.

It's on tonight at 10:45 Sunday at 9:00 and the next one then Monday.. There's no chance it's missed here husband would loose the plot

What channel at 10.45?

It's on Atlantic..

I only see game of thrones after that not much else.. TV is on but don't see what's on..

Potty training take 2..Please let it work this time

• Advertisement

Potty training take 2..Please let it work this time

Good luck! How old is your little one? We started potty training on Saturday. She'll be 2.5 on Friday.

Xdancer wrote: »
    Good luck! How old is your little one? We started potty training on Saturday. She'll be 2.5 on Friday.

Hes 2 and a half too...how's it going with you? Im trying to occupy him so he doesn't get too involved in anything and 'forget'...but for the moment the novelty of being able to play with his willy is keeping him focused lol

Hes 2 and a half too...how's it going with you? Im trying to occupy him so he doesn't get too involved in anything and 'forget'...but for the moment the novelty of being able to play with his willy is keeping him focused lol

Ha ha! :)

I have to say I have been very lucky. The first 2 days we had lots and lots of accidents, but on day 3 she went to creche and came out wearing the same clothes she was wearing when I dropped her off. I was shocked! Same thing again yesterday. She saves the accidents for us.

My mother did say that girls tend to be easier to train than boys, in her experience anyway. She potty trained 7 of us (3 girls and 4 boys) and also helped train some kids she minded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Hi all :)
    I'm hoping someone here can help me. My grandson lost his "Luke" today and is very upset without him :( I'm hoping maybe someone might have his twin brother who might like to come and live with a new boy ;)

This is "Luke"

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Primark-Brown-EARLY-DAYS-TEDDY-BEAR-Baby-Comfort-Blanket-Comforter-/310965021265?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Toys_CA&hash=item4866f5aa51

I wont be online again until tomorrow afternoon so will check in again then.

Suucee wrote: »
    Where do you all get energy to watch tv. Even with babas in bed for 7.30 im still falling asleep on the couch at 9 . I find im not taking in whats happening even watching the soaps. Needs more concentration.

Little one cluster feeds from around 7 or 8pm till 10.30pm.... So when toddler goes to bed at 8pm. Usually sort house and by 9pm up in the bed feeding her and (hopefully watching a bit of tele). :)

Goodluck with the potty training Hannibal!

Chucken wrote: »
    Hi all :)
    I'm hoping someone here can help me. My grandson lost his "Luke" today and is very upset without him :( I'm hoping maybe someone might have his twin brother who might like to come and live with a new boy ;)

This is "Luke"

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Primark-Brown-EARLY-DAYS-TEDDY-BEAR-Baby-Comfort-Blanket-Comforter-/310965021265?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Toys_CA&hash=item4866f5aa51

I wont be online again until tomorrow afternoon so will check in again then.

Ah crap I have the pink version!

I always bought 2 of those. (not those exact ones im afraid) Nothing worse. My toddler actually has 4 raggys as its just a scarf that she became fond of so I bought a second then cut them in half to shorten them. We lost it in dunnes one day and there was uproar (even though we had loads more at home) there was no reasoning with her when we told her raggy was at home. She knew it was there somewhere. eventually found it thankfully. Lovely security guard started going back over cameras (happened to him before)..

What age did they become attached to there teddy/blankets..? My little guy has one and has no interest.. Will buy one for lucy too just to be safe

Horrible mammy that I am, I'm forcing a teddy on my little man :D He gets it having a bottle, in the car seat, going to bed and any time he's cranky, and I think it's starting to work... he chews the ears now and cuddles it in bed. Or rather, he cuddles one of the 3 I have :p He won't take a soother so I'd like him to have something that he can be comforted by in my absence.

• Advertisement

None of mine have teddies that they are attached to... Addison, Ellen and Luke had/have soothers and Saoirse is a thumb sucker so they do have their comforts, just not teddies.

Yeah jack chews his but then again chews everything.. He's growing out of been a biter..

Jack like rubbing my hand or face when drinking his morning and night time bottle.. I like it though it's our cuddle time specially now lucy is here

My daughter wouldnt take a soother either so we gave her one like in thr previous post. She wasnt overly fond but we noticed she constantly wanted to sit on my knee or be picked up when i was wearing my pashmina. She was about 6-7 months. Then one day in town in tge buggy she was soo cranky so i took it off and gave it to her and it worked a treat. I was very fond of tgat so bought her 2 of her own in a different colour and i just wore it for a bit before giving it to her. It was 2 long so i cut them. Hence how i ended up with 4.
    Luke is only 9 weeks and already needs his slumber bear silky in his right hand to go to sleep. But he sucks a soother (for now) ive caught the thumb going in a few times. Needs the silky more than the soother . When A was that size she sucked the soother on and off 2 .

A also needs her teddy and bunny. She has had bunny since shr was born. (Used to be strapped to the cot, luke now has 1 also in a different colour. Was a gift from A when he was born). But it wasnt until she was about 14 months when she wanted teddy. I removed the cot bars so she could get in and out herself as i couldnt lift her with spd . And every mornibg she had him in the cot. Teddy is huge. As big as luke who is a long 9 week old so we didnt encourage it as a bit bulky. But only needs him for bed really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

My two year old had no soother from 5 months and wanted nothing to do with any teddy until the last few weeks - now there's a particular one that must come everywhere and read stories at night with us and sleep with her - I'm glad really as it's nice to see her caring and loving something so much - would die if we lost it - gonna keep a look out for a second!
    My one year old has a soother and we've attached it to a blankie. She only gets it for sleep so I'm hoping when we give up the soother she'll still have her blankie -
    It's this one :
    https://www.babyaccessories.ie/p/sophie_the_giraffe_comforter_with_soother_holder
    She loves it so much and now doesn't loose her soother at night! Best thing ever in this house! Hope that at some point we will leave her without the soother and just the blankie but she's just far too attached to it now it would upset her too much and I feel it's unnecessary . She's such an angel child I'm happy for her to have a little indulgence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I encouraged a blankie with my son and he took to a particular one for a while. Then it was a small spot the dog, then it was a teletubbie which he treated like a baby when I was pregnant. I was reassured to see him kissing it and asking if it was ok while he brought it for walks in a little pink buggy we bought him. Then it was a huge Kermit the frog, then George the monkey, then a small rat (???) that he saw in ikea. Now his bed is full of teddies of all shapes and sizes and there's a pecking order. The least favourite go at the bottom, the favoured sleep around him. We left Kermit in the park one morning just before A was born and my husband had to race around toy shops for a replacement while he was napping.

A seems completely indifferent to blankies and teddies. I've got 5 in her cot now and she'll pick it up and throw it away if I tuck one under her at night.

We're definitely trying to restrict soother usage with A from now in. That was one big mistake with O and it was a huge battle when we tried around 20 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

No lovvies or blankies here at all, e just not interested. He has a little monkey pillow (the ones that fold into an animal) that has to go everywhere when he sleeps, but that's it. He does however have 3 dodies, and HAS to have all three of them bed with him...njarg.

Looks like both our kids are super early risers as well, e up from 5 am (just figured out how to open his bedroom door so comes marching into our room when he's up, and j joining him with constant chatter around 6 (he keeps shouting at his mobile over the cot...;-p). Hubby and i are wrecked...)

• Advertisement

No blankies or special toys here either. I tried to get her attached to something that she could cuddle up to, but she was having none of it.
    She does have a selection of 3 dolls that go up to her bedroom with her everynight, but they don't always end up in the bed with her. It depends on her mood I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

My niece loves toy cars trucks etc and takes all her 'vehicles' to bed every night :-)

kandr10 wrote: »
    My niece loves toy cars trucks etc and takes all her 'vehicles' to bed every night :-)

When we are in MILs. A plays with her cousibs wrestlers and puts them in the bed and climbs in beside them. He cousin goes mad. Loves cars too.

Ive often gone in to her when im going to bed and she could have anything in the bed. Fake food from her kitchen, books, balls from her ball pit, even chalk and magnets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

January wrote: »
    Ah crap I have the pink version!

Ah thanks January but I'd say his 6 foot rugby playing dad might have something to say about that :(

I put an ad on Adverts and a lady answered. She has him in white so she posted him today. Lets hope it works :)
    There may be a positive from this, he's been so busy outside playing during the day, he's just falling asleep when his head hits the bed. He really only missed him when he got tired during the day but his momma managed to get through it with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Off on a hen weekend today til Sunday. First time leaving my two kids with their daddy since jack was born. I know theyll all be grand but I feel so nervous about the actual leaving part. My 2 year old cried leaving her at creche today which she hasnt done in ages!!! :(

But im excited too!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement