Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Off on a hen weekend today til Sunday. First time leaving my two kids with their daddy since jack was born. I know theyll all be grand but I feel so nervous about the actual leaving part. My 2 year old cried leaving her at creche today which she hasnt done in ages!!! :(

But im excited too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yeah, hang on I just give my 5 week old some baby rice to fill him up... no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

January wrote: »
    Yeah, hang on I just give my 5 week old some baby rice to fill him up... no thanks.

What ????. My mam said same to me around 6 week mark when he was having a spurt. Come on..

my 2 yr old is SO cranky. She had a temp up and down tues and wens and was very tired ao i waa letting her have long naps. Seemed grand yesterday but still let her sleep 2 hrs then when was time for bed. In bed for 7.15 was near 10.30 by the time she went asleep. Ive never had a problem with her though.
    Now shes like a briar as i only let her sleep an 1.5hr today. Bloody teeth. Gona get ready to go see nanny now (my mam). Que more stress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

In fairness, this is my fourth so I should know better than to discuss my child's feeding habits at the school gate... The looks I get from some of them when I have the baby in a sling are startling... One even asked was it safe :\

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

In fairness, this is my fourth so I should know better than to discuss my child's feeding habits at the school gate... The looks I get from some of them when I have the baby in a sling are startling... One even asked was it safe :\

I worry about some people, I really do.....
    Everyone thinks they're an expert! ;)

Ha ha ha january. I was trying my new sling in my mams with luke and she said the exact same.
    Although i still havent got the knack. . So he peob didnt look great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I've just accidentally struck a very expensive deal with my 3 year old. He had the lego magazine and told me he wanted the lego hospital. Without even thinking I created a list of things he needs to do to get his lego. I looked on smyths and argos and couldn't find it. Looked on eBay and apparently it's very rare and I'm looking at about 100 quid with about 20 for postage. I've made the deal now so I can't go back on my word. Last time I make any promises without doing a price check first lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Is that the duplo one? It's 99 quid on amazon.de. that's mental :0

Up since 4.50 am today. I'm not sure how much longer i can do this. Feeding baby every 3 hours, then up at stupid o'clock with toddler.tried to tell him it's not morning, met with an hour of screaming. Toddler very active, baby naps, then toddler finally goes down for nap and baby wakes up. MAMMY NEEDS TO SLEEP TOO! !! And i really really don't know how single parents do it, hat off to ye! (Hubby just gone for a day and I'm cracking up. No family to help or handover kids.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Just did my first private session.. I can safely say birth was easier.. And home to take over two babies, I kill me now

Omg. Were headin off for a week to stay in a mobil home and the AMOUNT of stuff we have to bring for 2 yr old and 2 month old.
    Clothes but being ireland have to bring summer clothes and warmer clothes for all of us.
    Bibs. Muslins . Gro bag . Blankets for baba.
    Towels, tea towels dish washing equipment etc.
    Travel cot. Sterliser. only bringing single buggy and slings. High chair booster. Toys for toddler.
    Would prob be easier to go abroad as you wudnt need as much clothes .

• Advertisement

galah wrote: »

Up since 4.50 am today. I'm not sure how much longer i can do this. Feeding baby every 3 hours, then up at stupid o'clock with toddler.tried to tell him it's not morning, met with an hour of screaming. Toddler very active, baby naps, then toddler finally goes down for nap and baby wakes up. MAMMY NEEDS TO SLEEP TOO! !! And i really really don't know how single parents do it, hat off to ye! (Hubby just gone for a day and I'm cracking up. No family to help or handover kids.)

Yeah it's the duplo one. Extraordinary amount of money for a box of plastic bits!

I feel you on the tiredness thing. My husband works 6 days a week and I work 5 and his only day off is a working day for me. Not even sure what he looks like anymore but my sister has told me he lost weight :-P

I get some rest this week :-D I am currently off work with suspected burst ear drum although the outer ear is so swollen the doc can't see in to confirm. My mam has been coming round everyday for 40 minutes so I can lie down and do ear drops in each ear for 20 minutes. Have caught up on some reading and it's been very nice. You know your busy when having a horrendous ear infection is more relaxing than the normal routine.

Shipping the kids off to nanny and grandads tonight so we can do a massive clear out when DH gets home. Lease is up in 2 months and I'm dreading the move so a clear out might help. Delighted to finally be getting out of the renting game and having a permanent family home for the little people!

Actually speaking of my clear out if anyone is using an Icandy peach and is looking for some bits to turn it into a double I'm bunging a few bits off it up on eBay. I only use it as a single so I'm selling the carrycot, the second seat, the conversion adaptor, and the maxi cosi adaptor for the conversion adaptor ( because the maxi cosi adaptor for the single is different to the double would you believe?!?) obviously mates rates for anyone on here who is interested :-D

Also have a co sleeper that was only used for 6 months and a baby changer bath , red maxi cosi cabriofix , a jumperoo and I'm sure there is more to follow lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

galah wrote: »

Put up a 'wanted' add on adverts- I got the Police Station and a few other bits for our 4 year old. Now I've been told he wants the Spiderman set......... Arrrghhhhh.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Weaning J off his soother at the mo, restricting it to naps & bedtime. So far so good, the only time he's really cried for it is in the car.

He's starting Montessori in September, 3 days one week, 2 the next, 3hrs a day. He'll have a small lunch there but I'm at a loss as to what to give him as he doesn't eat bread, fruit has to be hidden for him to eat it. At home I usually have to cook him a lunch. At this rate he'll be eating yoghurt, raisins & crackers everyday cos I can't think of anything else to give him that he can eat just out of a lunchbox:confused:

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Weaning J off his soother at the mo, restricting it to naps & bedtime. So far so good, the only time he's really cried for it is in the car.

He's starting Montessori in September, 3 days one week, 2 the next, 3hrs a day. He'll have a small lunch there but I'm at a loss as to what to give him as he doesn't eat bread, fruit has to be hidden for him to eat it. At home I usually have to cook him a lunch. At this rate he'll be eating yoghurt, raisins & crackers everyday cos I can't think of anything else to give him that he can eat just out of a lunchbox:confused:

Oh he sounds so like A its gas. When im out and need to bring something as wont get to cook I give A will ryvita and soft cheese spread on it. Rice or corn cakes . Would he eat boiled egg chopped up and cooled . A used to but wont any more. What about potatoe cakes. A loves them although we do heat them a little but would they be not as nice cold. Or even pancakes the odd time.

Ps I remember you had the same issues with J and fruit as I do with A. she is still having her "fruit pot" (concoction of pureed fruit) but she always likes raisins. I was in dealz the other day and noticed dried bananas and dried apricots. I bought some for her. Put them in a little pot ( apricots needed to be chopped though) and she loves them. The banana tastes very sweet though. I still haven't had a chance to read the label to see whats in them though .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Hi all, hope all the babies and mammies are well!
    Well, L has been changing so much in the last 3 weeks, he's not a baby really anymore, he's a right little boy now. He's actually able to run, climb up and down stairs, talk more etc etc and all just in 3 weeks. In one way I'm delighted and in another way I'm sad to leave that baby stage behind!

Suucee wrote: »
    Oh he sounds so like A its gas. When im out and need to bring something as wont get to cook I give A will ryvita and soft cheese spread on it. Rice or corn cakes . Would he eat boiled egg chopped up and cooled . A used to but wont any more. What about potatoe cakes. A loves them although we do heat them a little but would they be not as nice cold. Or even pancakes the odd time.

Ps I remember you had the same issues with J and fruit as I do with A. she is still having her "fruit pot" (concoction of pureed fruit) but she always likes raisins. I was in dealz the other day and noticed dried bananas and dried apricots. I bought some for her. Put them in a little pot ( apricots needed to be chopped though) and she loves them. The banana tastes very sweet though. I still haven't had a chance to read the label to see whats in them though .

Oh I must check out those dried fruit packets, I might be able to trick him into thinking they're crisps :D
    He wouldn't eat a potato cake but you've given me an idea, he loves his dad's pancakes so I could have some little ones made up from the night before. Can see the summer being spent trying every spread & packets of dried things on the market to find some winners. He's a stubborn little so & so as well, if you try to coax him to eat something new he'll refuse it & never entertain it again:rolleyes:

Ivy J is so grown up now too, only really nappies left of his babyhood, can have a proper conversation with him and all. Hoping to give him a new baby brother or sister soon so that might help me let go a little bit, maybe :)

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Well, L has been changing so much in the last 3 weeks, he's not a baby really anymore, he's a right little boy now. He's actually able to run, climb up and down stairs, talk more etc etc and all just in 3 weeks. In one way I'm delighted and in another way I'm sad to leave that baby stage behind!

I'm the same here. Still snuggly but he is a proper little boy now.

It's scary how fast they're growing isn't it. A is potty trained during the day now and she looks so much more grown up. The night nappy won't be needed much longer either. I'm kind of glad she won't give up her night time bottle yet it keeps a little bit of baby for a little bit longer :)

• Advertisement

Xdancer wrote: »
    It's scary how fast they're growing isn't it. A is potty trained during the day now and she looks so much more grown up. The night nappy won't be needed much longer either. I'm kind of glad she won't give up her night time bottle yet it keeps a little bit of baby for a little bit longer :)
    Oh L is a long way off being toilet trained yet! He knows about the potty and what it's for and he'll sit on it regularly but if he does anything in it it's more by chance that by choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

We just hit another sleep regression phase here. He is fine with day naps but the nighttime is a different matter - he'll be knackered and giving out by 8 o clock, but he will fight the sleep all the way to 11pm! If we try to get him to sleep, he will work himself into such a state that he will throw up :( This is regardless of whether he is in his bed / in our bed/ in our arms etc. He'll wake earlier in the night for feeds too.
    It's been this way the past 3 nights and I was starting to despair until I read about the ''wonder weeks'' online... Low and behold, week 26 is a well known week for sleep regression, and it so happens that he'll be 26 wks tomorrow...
    So at least I know it's just temporary and knowing that, I can cope better with it. I hope it is over soon though!

Here's a link to info on the different wonder weeks in case anyone is interested.

http://sleeplady.com/baby-sleep-problems/sleep-regression-just-a-phase/

Oh L is a long way off being toilet trained yet! He knows about the potty and what it's for and he'll sit on it regularly but if he does anything in it it's more by chance that by choice!

Oh A was the same, but I kind of had to force it on her as she starts nursery school in September and she has to be out of nappies by then and so I wanted to give her plenty of time to get it.
    I think she's a few months older than L anyway??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Has anyone noticed a change in body shape post pregnancy. Like a stubborn belly that you can't get rid of? I've been dieting and exercising like a good thing but it seems to be always there and im wondering if pregnancy stretched things out lol or do I have to kick the exercise up a notch?

God I hope its not just me :o

Has anyone noticed a change in body shape post pregnancy. Like a stubborn belly that you can't get rid of? I've been dieting and exercising like a good thing but it seems to be always there and im wondering if pregnancy stretched things out lol or do I have to kick the exercise up a notch?

God I hope its not just me :o

I've lost almost 4st since having my fella in 2012 but I fear my belly will never recover, looks like a balloon someone let the air out of:o
    Even though I'm back in my size 10's Spanx are still my friends:P

I had this problem with my little guy. Doing 2 1/2 hours 2 days a week and he will not eat a sandwhich. He would eat dairylea Dunkers and apples but he isn't allowed to bring anything other than a sandwich. They keep coming home in the bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I had this problem with my little guy. Doing 2 1/2 hours 2 days a week and he will not eat a sandwhich. He would eat dairylea Dunkers and apples but he isn't allowed to bring anything other than a sandwich. They keep coming home in the bag

It might be worth trying other types of bread. My little one was the same when she started school. Tried her on some of those new type square 'slimster' bread roll type things - they're very thin cause they're designed to be lo-cal but she loved them. Then tried her on the Slimsters brown bread and again she'll eat that because its very thinly sliced and soft. She's no interest in 'normal' bread but will eat the others in school no problem.

I've lost almost 4st since having my fella in 2012 but I fear my belly will never recover, looks like a balloon someone let the air out of:o
    Even though I'm back in my size 10's Spanx are still my friends:P

Yes!! That's it!! So glad im not alone ms lol

After my first I returned to fairly normal but after my second all hope is lost

That's weird that he's only allowed to bring in sandwiches. I haven't seen any restrictions to lunches in the Montessori booklet so here's hoping I find some new lunch options before September or my poor chap will either starve or turn into a yoghurt :p

I'm one of the lucky ones. I snapped back very quick on both mine although my belly button is a bit saggy?!? I'm assuming that this is something that I need to accept or operate on lol

Now everytime I'm looking at swimsuits or underwear online I end up completely mesmerised by the models perfectly roundy belly buttons lol is that weird?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

One word....photoshop!! lol!

Yes!! That's it!! So glad im not alone ms lol

No definately not alone, I've resigned myself to the fact that nothing short of a tummy tuck will fix it & that ain't gonna happen anytime soon:D

These posts made me smile.

Re the belly button. Mine is just undecribably deformed. I had 2 key hole surgerys. 1 in 2010 one in 2011 baba in 2012 and baba in 2014. Toddler loves to poke at it if she sees me getting dressed. Oh and loves coming over to trace my stretch marks. You wouldnt want to be too self conscience around a 2 yr old.
    My tummy was ok after no 1 but this time it aint going anywhere. Sometines when toddler climbs up to sit on my lap she squishes it and half sits on it so i need to suck it in to get it free. Baba is 10 weeks though so hoping it will improve at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Have you ladies been checked for abdominal separation? I had 2 natural births and my stomach went back to normal after O but on A I have a little dome shape and it gets very noticeable if I put on any weight. It gets disproportionately pronounced. I have a 2 finger separation and and doing some floor exercises and my pelvic floor exercises (when I remember :P) to close it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I was always a curvy size 12 and after my baby I actually went back to normal size..definitely think the bfeeding helped. He's now 15 months old and I have put on so much weight. I dont know how I didn't notice it happening but my tummy and hips have spread so much :( I also have a deep suspicion that I have cysts again which won't help.

No definately not alone, I've resigned myself to the fact that nothing short of a tummy tuck will fix it & that ain't gonna happen anytime soon:D

Indeed....well done on the 4 stone btw.

Think I've myself set up to the thinking that it's my price to pay to have my babies..

Anyone getting dizzy spells..? Mine are now going so far as to make me feel sick

Think I've myself set up to the thinking that it's my price to pay to have my babies..

Anyone getting dizzy spells..? Mine are now going so far as to make me feel sick

I was and still do. After few blood tests turned out ive vitamin d deficiency. So I put it down to that. Do you have muscle pain or teeth pain?? Could be worth a check???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I was and still do. After few blood tests turned out ive vitamin d deficiency. So I put it down to that. Do you have muscle pain or teeth pain?? Could be worth a check???

Oh my god, I have all of those things. Is that what it could be? Have been meaning to go to the docs for ages.

Yeah both my teeth and muscles hurt.. I was told I'm vitamin B12 deficient when pregnant

Should go back really

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I'm back in my size 8's, actually I was a ten before the babies but I still look like I'm 5 months preggers. I've lost more weight than I had on purely to try loose my belly but think I'd be skeletal and still have a shaggin pot belly! Mind u my husband did - very kindly... - remind me it wasn't flat before I had babies so don't know what was expecting afterwards!! Lol! So true - think I like to blame pregnancy - but actually - It was always where I stored my fat for a rainy day! But can't understand why looking at the slender tone belt isn't enough... Apparently I need to actually go to the bother of putting it on ;)

I put on weight easily but around my thighs and bum. I always had a tight stomach, so I did find the spare tire I acquired after the birth hard to accept! (I kinda thought that part of my body was immune!).
    I'm losing weight at the moment and it does seem to be going away but I realise my stomach will never be exactly like it was before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

What do you ladies do if your baby wakes too early? Little miss woke at 5 and we're still awake. I tried getting her beck asleep but she was having none of it! Do you just resign to the fact you're awake at 5am?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Unfortunately yes, it means breakfast at 5am :(

Only in the last couple of months, I'll give my daughter a cup of warm milk in her cot and she'll go back to sleep afterwards. But it doesn't always work and we get up at 5.30 anyway

My little boy has his own room so I leave him if he wakes before half 6 and often sleeps another hour at least.. That said I'm lucky as he goes to bed on his own and goes to sleep without me.. He hates someone been in his room specially of we need to sleep with him as we have someone staying

So far our little lady is the laziest in the house.. Sleeps great naps all day and then the entire night.. Serious lazy but actively chatting when awake loves interaction

L sleeps in the room that has the most light in the morning. We have shutters so it's grand in the winter but at this time of the year he's awake at 6, asking for his bottle and wide awake. Of course, it doesn't help that the bin truck arrives around that time, as well as the guy (on a moped) delivering the paper, and the neighbour's rooster!

My dads rooster was broken and went off every hour! Then there's donkeys there just awful one of them sounds different to the others but really loud.. Still the worst if jack stays there is my dad snoring poor baby can't sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

loubian wrote: »
    What do you ladies do if your baby wakes too early? Little miss woke at 5 and we're still awake. I tried getting her beck asleep but she was having none of it! Do you just resign to the fact you're awake at 5am?!?!

I usually try taking him into our bed for a while, sometimes it works and we get an extra hour or two, but usually he'll insist on his bottle! I try telling him that it's not breakfast time yet, he tends to disagree though. We were up at six this morning. Fortunately he doesn't usually wake any earlier than that, I'd prefer if he'd wait until closer to eight though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just bought a new pack of size 3 Aldi nappies. Quality is way down on the last pack we had. It looks like a cheap photocopy and doesn't absorb as much. Anyone else noticed this or did we just gat a bad pack?

Advertisement