Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

L sleeps in the room that has the most light in the morning. We have shutters so it's grand in the winter but at this time of the year he's awake at 6, asking for his bottle and wide awake. Of course, it doesn't help that the bin truck arrives around that time, as well as the guy (on a moped) delivering the paper, and the neighbour's rooster!

Totally unrelated but how do you find the shutters? Currently pricing shutter blinds and they are soooo expensive so don't want to make a mistake lol one is for a Huuge window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Totally unrelated but how do you find the shutters? Currently pricing shutter blinds and they are soooo expensive so don't want to make a mistake lol one is for a Huuge window
    I find them excellent. They are old wooden shutters (all the houses over here in France have shutters) and they are great for darkening the room, adding an extra layer of insulation in winter, cooling in summer, and a bit of extra security. My OH's grandfather actually made the ones on our apartment!

I find them excellent. They are old wooden shutters (all the houses over here in France have shutters) and they are great for darkening the room, adding an extra layer of insulation in winter, cooling in summer, and a bit of extra security. My OH's grandfather actually made the ones on our apartment!

Yeah the security thing is the main draw for me. Stop people getting in and also being able to have upstairs windows open without little ppl trying to get out. I knew I wanted them but now I'm sure lol thanks a million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Just bought a new pack of size 3 Aldi nappies. Quality is way down on the last pack we had. It looks like a cheap photocopy and doesn't absorb as much. Anyone else noticed this or did we just gat a bad pack?

My little lad uses size 5 from there and they feel off.. Can't get size 2 for herself there..
    They absorb but they clump up if that makes sense.. It says new look and all that on pack

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The print on the nappy was the same but much more faded and washed out looking. And the nappy itself wasn't as bulky as before and does not absorb as much now. I know what you mean about 'clump up'. Hopefully it is just a bad batch as we were happy with them until now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

So I have a new addiction...... cloth nappies! Ah! I new there were gorgeous prints and Id want them all but god its so hard to not just keep buying buying buying! when I hit 30 and have enough for 3 days + spares I dont know what Ill do.... currently at about 13. Fluffy bums are so cute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I bought a pack of size 5's in Aldi on Monday and just opened them this morning and they seem ok... maybe it's old stock though. I hope they're not changed... if they are I'll be going back to Tesco nappies... Have to buy size 2's for himself in Tesco anyway so will be easier for a while.

Yeah I get the 2's in Tesco.. Tried supervalue ones NEVER again..!

Just changed one of his dirty bums and itclumped in the mmiddle and poo got out.. Very not impressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

My dude is usually so very easygoing. But, today, I can't let him out of my arms or he roars. :( I don't think it's his teeth. Maybe a growth spurt or something.

It's nice and all that he loves me so much. But I miss being able to go to the loo. And eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

For the ladies commenting on their post baby belly. I dont think its always fat or extra skin thats the enemy here. For me alot of the problem was caused by poor posture due to my pelvis being repositioned. I quite simply forgot how to stand up straight after having babs! I constantly stood with an excessive anterior tilt on my pelvis (seen in the first image here: http://www.pilatestonic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/pelvic-tilt-comparison-600px-wide.jpg ), a habit formed when carrying the bump. I've found pilates excellent for helping me get back to a neutral stance. I had lost the weight but still looked like I had a pot belly because I was literally sticking it out without even realising!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My phsio actually recommended pilates but i cant start until my pelvis a bit more stable.

Re aldi nappies i use size 2s no prob for new baba but cant use bigger sizes for toddler at all. Why dont ye use aldis for the babas guys

Can't get size 2 here managed to find them once and never again.. Drives me mad! I found them great though size 5 were great but not today

Anyone still got there toddler on growing up milk? I have my 14 month still on it he was never great with dairy and 2 months ago tried him with milk but had days of him screaming.. What can I put him on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Anyone still got there toddler on growing up milk? I have my 14 month still on it he was never great with dairy and 2 months ago tried him with milk but had days of him screaming.. What can I put him on?

My neighbours daughter who is 2 still takes the toddler milk. She just never liked the cows milk apparently.

My dude is usually so very easygoing. But, today, I can't let him out of my arms or he roars. :( I don't think it's his teeth. Maybe a growth spurt or something.

It's nice and all that he loves me so much. But I miss being able to go to the loo. And eat.

Aaaand the two of us ended up in Temple St. I rang VHI nurse line and he had a bit of a rash, she asked me to hold him under a light and he was ducking his head every way to avoid it (he is usually obsessed with lights.) She said get straight to A&E. We were in and out in no time - very lucky! They said it's nothing to worry about. He was in great form smiling away at the nurses, absolutely roaring again now though, must be hurting his poor little throat. :( But vitals were all ok. Will be keeping a very close eye on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Twice tonight I've been awake with bubs crying relentlessly, can't tell what's wrong with her until I took her nappy off n she quietened down. She's been going mad the last couple of days trying to scratch her nether regions n I'm hoping now she doesn't have thrush or a uti. Any way of knowing how? Can I give her anything? I'm gonna be sleep walking this evening coming home from work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Aaaand the two of us ended up in Temple St. I rang VHI nurse line and he had a bit of a rash, she asked me to hold him under a light and he was ducking his head every way to avoid it (he is usually obsessed with lights.) She said get straight to A&E. We were in and out in no time - very lucky! They said it's nothing to worry about. He was in great form smiling away at the nurses, absolutely roaring again now though, must be hurting his poor little throat. :( But vitals were all ok. Will be keeping a very close eye on him.

Sorry to hear that. Hope he settled down and you both got some sleep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Poor thing :( a&e is no fun even if you're in and out. Hopefully he's a bit more settled today. Don't forget the whole nap when (if) he naps thing :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If kids avoid light- you're advised to go to A&E immediately- as its one of the classical sympthoms of menningitis.

Half the kids are out in our creche- seems to be some sort of flu doing the rounds :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Poor little man :( And poor mammy! You must've got a fright. My little man has got hand, foot and mouth, it's doing the rounds here, wonder did your fella pick it up too? Rash and high temp. Lots of calpol and TLC for you both :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

nikpmup wrote: »
    Poor little man :( And poor mammy! You must've got a fright. My little man has got hand, foot and mouth, it's doing the rounds here, wonder did your fella pick it up too? Rash and high temp. Lots of calpol and TLC for you both :)

My wee fella got this when i was pregnant! Horrible horrible horrible virus! And I caught it off him as my immune system was crap because of the pregnancy. It was so sore and horrible. Hope he's better soon :(.

Chatt hope ur wee fella is feeling better soon aswell.

nikpmup wrote: »

Poor baba. Hope he gets well soon!

Chattastrophe, ye poor things, I'd say you got a fright! Hope he's better soon.

nikpmup, oh the poor thing that's a rotten dose. L's had it twice so far, hopefully he won't catch it again.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    My neighbours daughter who is 2 still takes the toddler milk. She just never liked the cows milk apparently.

Everyone says I'm mad still making it..
    I wonder if I gave him soy would it work for him

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Claire de Lune

Hi Synyster, have you tried mixing a bit of cows milk with the formula and gradually reducing formula and increasing cows milk? I did this with my son over a couple of weeks and he never noticed the transition.

It's not so much the transition as he'll drink cows milk (had it when I was in having his sister) it's more he wasn't able for normal formula or cows milk he can't digest dairy

Thanks folks, he's on the mend but he's very spotty :( He had a high temp Tuesday night and all day wednesday, cried ALL day and night. I'm shattered.

Just be careful substituting without consulting a doctor cos it might not be balanced enough as a drink. My sister still uses formula for her almost 2 year old but it's a special dairy free one as he's either allergic or lactose intolerant I can't remember which. She's had him tested and stuff and she works under the advice of her doctor.

• Advertisement

If kids avoid light- you're advised to go to A&E immediately- as its one of the classical sympthoms of menningitis.

Half the kids are out in our creche- seems to be some sort of flu doing the rounds :mad:

I've heard before about avoiding lights being a symptom of meningitis, but he was just crying non-stop so I never even thought to check him under the light until the nurse said to. And my heart nearly stopped when I saw how he was moving away from it. :(

He's doing OK today, he's alternating between bawling and sleeping. Just keeping a very close eye on him.

As a matter of interest though, I know creches are (understandably) strict about not taking sick kids. But how do parents cope with this? I'm still on maternity leave so haven't yet been in this position. I mean, some days of the month, I guess I could ring in last minute and take a day's annual leave. But other days this would literally not be an option, I do all of the payroll and supplier payments where I work, leave around those dates is just not an option! My family all live over three hours away, and they all work too.

Basically I'm asking, what if your child is sick, nothing that requires hospitalisation, but sick enough that the creche won't take them. What do you do?

I've heard before about avoiding lights being a symptom of meningitis, but he was just crying non-stop so I never even thought to check him under the light until the nurse said to. And my heart nearly stopped when I saw how he was moving away from it. :(

He's doing OK today, he's alternating between bawling and sleeping. Just keeping a very close eye on him.

As a matter of interest though, I know creches are (understandably) strict about not taking sick kids. But how do parents cope with this? I'm still on maternity leave so haven't yet been in this position. I mean, some days of the month, I guess I could ring in last minute and take a day's annual leave. But other days this would literally not be an option, I do all of the payroll and supplier payments where I work, leave around those dates is just not an option! My family all live over three hours away, and they all work too.

Basically I'm asking, what if your child is sick, nothing that requires hospitalisation, but sick enough that the creche won't take them. What do you do?
    Have to take annual leave, unfortunately.

Have to take annual leave, unfortunately.

Its annoying that there isn't any provision for these type things- we've used up all our annual leave for the last 3 years with minor ailments that kept them out of creche- they've both had suspected chicken pox 4 times- which has to be a record.......... There are little childhood ailments like hand and mouth disease- which don't really bother children- but which they do get in creche- that are next to impossible to avoid.

Its unfortunate- there really isn't a lot you can do other than take annual leave.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

You just have to suck it up I'm afraid. :(. Its eased off now but at the start it felt like he was constantly getting temperatures and me having to go get him. We have muddled through. The odd time himself has "worked from home" but mostly I've taken either unpaid leave or annual leave. Some people are lucky to have a retired granny nearby but we dont.

Depends on the employer and your work really. If you have the option to make up the work from home or after hours thats great. Usually when the creche ring, we ring the other parent and decide who can leave work dependant on our individual deadlines of that day.

Childminders may not be much more flexible either. If they mind more than one child, they wont want the others getting sick too.

It goes down as force majeure in my place! I assumed every employer offered that?!?

It goes down as force majeure in my place! I assumed every employer offered that?!?
    I thought force majeure was only in case of family death or serious illness though? (I could be wrong). I know in the last place I worked here in France, even for the death of a sibling, I only was allowed 2 days force majeure, and the rest came out of annual leave (and bear in mind I had to go back to Ireland)

• Advertisement

I thought force majeure was only in case of family death or serious illness though? (I could be wrong). I know in the last place I worked here in France, even for the death of a sibling, I only was allowed 2 days force majeure, and the rest came out of annual leave (and bear in mind I had to go back to Ireland)

They must be very generous with it in my place so lol if I ring and say little guy is sick they always stick it down as force majeure.

I was told by my workplace that it didnt qualify as FM leave. But it would be nice to know for sure from a professional HR person.

Neyite wrote: »
    Seems from that you're only entitled to 3 days in a year or 5 in 3 years. Not a lot to deal with toddlers getting sick (my son has had nothing major in his year in the creche but I think I was called to collect him or had to keep him home about 10 days of that.

Seems from that you're only entitled to 3 days in a year or 5 in 3 years. Not a lot to deal with toddlers getting sick (my son has had nothing major in his year in the creche but I think I was called to collect him or had to keep him home about 10 days of that.

Omg that's a nightmare. My kids aren't in crèche so would only stay with them if they were very poorly. At that rate you would be better off with an au pair or nanny. In my place they have very strict annual leave policies so if the hours are exhausted for a particular day, they can't actually put you down for annual leave and they are stuck so it's prob easier to put it down as FM.

• Advertisement

Omg that's a nightmare. My kids aren't in crèche so would only stay with them if they were very poorly. At that rate you would be better off with an au pair or nanny. In my place they have very strict annual leave policies so if the hours are exhausted for a particular day, they can't actually put you down for annual leave and they are stuck so it's prob easier to put it down as FM.
    I'm not too bad as I work from home but it can mean that I have to refuse work if he's off for a few days.
    (On a side note, that's why it pissed me off that the creche didn't want to take L the second time he got foot mouth and hand disease - he had no fever, he felt fine and they didn't want him cos he was contagious - sure it takes a week to incubate and someone in there gave it to him twice!)

I'm not too bad as I work from home but it can mean that I have to refuse work if he's off for a few days.
    (On a side note, that's why it pissed me off that the creche didn't want to take L the second time he got foot mouth and hand disease - he had no fever, he felt fine and they didn't want him cos he was contagious - sure it takes a week to incubate and someone in there gave it to him twice!)

That would irk me as well. Especially considering you still have to pay for the day in crèche and your down a days wage.

OK I know that this is a really stupid question and I know it's something I should have thought about long before getting pregnant. But I didn't.

But what happens if baby is in creche and sick and I cannot leave work and neither can his father. Force majeure and annual leave won't really be an option at short notice.

I guess you'd have to ring your job and ask what ther policy is? My job make you take unpaid leave I think!

OK I know that this is a really stupid question and I know it's something I should have thought about long before getting pregnant. But I didn't.

But what happens if baby is in creche and sick and I cannot leave work and neither can his father. Force majeure and annual leave won't really be an option at short notice.

Unfortunately being a parent sometimes means leaving at short notice whether your employer likes it or not.My friend recently had her sons communion and her husband had to leave halfway through the day to bring the other child to hospital. They then had to swap in the middle of the day so daddy got to share some of the special day. She felt terrible but it's part of the "joys"

I've been called out of a press conference to collect one of our little ones- and on another occasion had to abondon proof reading something that was due to be published in 2 days time- when our little guy ran into another child at creche and had to be rushed to the dentist when his teeth were all loose.......

When you're a parent- your child comes first- not your work. The end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

You won't like my next sentence but our guy started crèche last winter and has since had conjunctivitis 3 times, 4 chest infections/bouts if bronchiolitis and two temperatures that refused to go down. Each time I or my husband had to leave work and with the conjunctivitis we had to keep him at home until it had completely cleared. It's tough but that's what I signed up for and woe betide anyone in work that dares comment on me caring for my sick child. If my little guy is sick there's nowhere else I want to be but home minding him. Your employer might suprise you... I'm sure you're not the first employee to have children.

If you cant leave, and he cant leave, then its likely that you'll piss the creche off enough that they tell you not to bring him back. And since they are usually not short of children to fill the places, they don't need your business as much as you need them.

So we leave and go to our sick child. We piss our supervisors and bosses off, and our careers suffer sometimes as a result. Strangely, in my place, the male bosses were fine about it, the female ones were the ones who made a big deal out of it.

The only time I've seen childcare work well is when its grandparents that mind the children, and they are willing to take them, sick or well, overtime etc.

I think I had about 20 either unpaid days or annual leave days in total that I took sick for the baby. Add on about another 6-8 for himself when he left to 'work from home' It just seemed to be one thing after another that he came down with. And he wasnt a sickly baby either, never had a day of illness until he started creche at 11 months. Nearly any parent I know has had similar experiences of bouts of illness. Its eased off now thankfully and we havent had to pick him up for a while now.

And they wont take the child on the first day of antibiotics in case of adverse reactions, so the first day, you leave work, the following morning you get a dr. appointment and get antibiotics, so you miss that full day, then part of the next day too possibly. More if he is still sick. Then you put them back in and some kid infects them all over again the next week.

Thanks for replies. You're right, I'm not the first parent in my workplace. It's just it's the first time he's actually been sick, so I hadn't really thought about it before. I've seen colleagues getting calls from the creche telling them to come collect a sick child, and they've had big rows down the phone telling them that it's not an option and just give them some Calpol and they'll be there at the usual time. I just can't see myself doing that, ever. :o I'd be a nervous wreck knowing he was sick and I wasn't with him. Thankfully I have loads of annual leave for this year, and hopefully it won't happen.

My own mum was on maternity leave for most of my childhood so it was never really a problem when one of us got sick. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Can anyone give me an idea of when a baby should be able to bring up his own wind while sleeping? He's 6 months now and will wake from his sleep if he has a burp - as soon as I take him up he lets it out, but he can't seem to do it himself lying down. It's a shame that he has to wake for it and sometimes of course it's difficult to get him to sleep again.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement