Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Eeeeeep I am so excited, I had a photographer out to the house this afternoon to take photos for the thank-you cards (only six months later!! :eek: ), she was amaaaaazing, she showed me a couple of photos on the camera as we were going along and they were brilliant! I'm going to want to get all of them printed! I'm so happy, and the boy was in absolutely excellent form, loads of smiles for her! :) My only problem will be which one(s) to choose for the cards!

In other news, he is settling into creche brilliantly, he's very happy there and I really like and trust the people working there. It's great. I'm actually really looking forward to going back to work next week. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Eeeeeep I am so excited, I had a photographer out to the house this afternoon to take photos for the thank-you cards (only six months later!! :eek: ), she was amaaaaazing, she showed me a couple of photos on the camera as we were going along and they were brilliant! I'm going to want to get all of them printed!

Chatt can I please ask how much that all costs? Id love to get it done...

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Chatt can I please ask how much that all costs? Id love to get it done...

It's €99 for the photoshoot in your house (including DVD etc), and then €2.50 per card to get them designed and printed. However she'll give you a soft copy of the photos so you can get a cheaper version done online, which is probably what I'll do as I just can't afford €2.50 per card ... however she's amazing and I'm sure her cards are a million times better than anything I'll get online, so I'd go with her design if I could afford to do so! She didn't put me under any pressure whatsoever to get her to do the cards. It is SO worth the money, I'll post up photos when I get them, they are amazing!

She's a mammy of two small children herself, and she was just brilliant with my boy. A really lovely person! This is her website, if you're interested. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shana-Singh-Photography/120064347015?fref=ts

It's €99 for the photoshoot in your house (including DVD etc), and then €2.50 per card to get them designed and printed. However she'll give you a soft copy of the photos so you can get a cheaper version done online, which is probably what I'll do as I just can't afford €2.50 per card ... however she's amazing and I'm sure her cards are a million times better than anything I'll get online, so I'd go with her design if I could afford to do so! She didn't put me under any pressure whatsoever to get her to do the cards. It is SO worth the money, I'll post up photos when I get them, they are amazing!

She's a mammy of two small children herself, and she was just brilliant with my boy. A really lovely person! This is her website, if you're interested. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shana-Singh-Photography/120064347015?fref=ts

Thanks a million. Will have a look! €2.50 per card is pretty expensive. But I'd b really interesting in the cd of images. Sounds awesome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I still haven't sent thank you cards and she's a year next month :/ I'm awful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I did mine in boots on the photo machine yokes with a pic that I had taken on my phone and instagrammed! They were like postcards, about 75c each I think. Vistaprint are good value for that type of thing (but they'll spam you forevermore!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Ok I didnt send tank you cards for either of mine. I didnt realise i was supposed to. Ive never even seen ome let alone recieved one. Not very common here (thank god since they sound expensive).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Same as that here no one does it thankfully cause the christening costs enough without thank you cards...

They are lovely though

I didn't send thank you cards for my first... Just text or called to say thank you. I bought a few packs of thank you cards this time from Marks and Sparks (8 for €3.50) and put a photo of LO in. Just basically because I think some people like to get a thank you token. Definitely my mums friends anyway. My friends wouldn't really care I wouldn't think. I just think the photographer is a lovely idea to have a cd of professional images.

I'm mostly doing them for my mum's friends because loads of them gave her really generous presents to give to me, even though I hadn't met them in years. I think it's also nice for family to have a little souvenir! Also we're not doing a christening, so I guess I can justify the cost because we're saving money there. :D I definitely don't think they're necessary, I've received them a couple of times from friends who had babies and they were lovely, I don't think you're "expected" to send them though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I've ordered thank you cards from photobox using a photo I took myself - it's working out at less than €1per card. I would consider them very much the "done thing" even though I would have called anyone to thank them too. I certainly have received one for any baby present I've given to a friend/relative. A couple of friends have used professional photos and they have been gorgeous but I missed the cutesy newborn stage with my guy and he has baby acne now! I'm hoping to get professional photos around the 6 month stage instead.

Yes if you're doing professional photos it's great to do it in the first two weeks before the cradle cap / baby acne etc sets in! I meant to do it but was just to wrecked to organise it when the time came. My son is nearly six months now and it's a good age for it too, he had loads of smiles for the photographer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Here you do a "Faire part" after the child is born, which basically lets everyone you know know about the birth. I used them as thank you cards for the Irish side!
    I got them online with a photo I took, they came out lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Never sent thank you cards out got pixie foto professional photo done at 6 months and they are gorgeous. Got a family one too and I love it!

Back to work this Thurs. I feel sick but im hoping once im back I'll be grand.harder leaving two.

On another note got measured for a bra today. After breastfeeding my 2 kids for over 7 months each ive gone from 36 c/d to 34 a/b :'( bit sad about that...

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Never sent thank you cards out got pixie foto professional photo done at 6 months and they are gorgeous. Got a family one too and I love it!

Back to work this Thurs. I feel sick but im hoping once im back I'll be grand.harder leaving two.

On another note got measured for a bra today. After breastfeeding my 2 kids for over 7 months each ive gone from 36 c/d to 34 a/b :'( bit sad about that...

Question to anyone who's little one had to get grommets.. What were the things you noticed?
    There balance and speech or ear infections etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

For anyone looking for something a little special on a walk/park visit. Tymon park in tallaght has a little enchanted forest where fairies live. I been meaning to go for months and finally got there the other day. Its a quaint little walk where you can let them run and you have a full view of them. The boys had great craic looking for clues and tracks

The fairy doors are up quite high so might be a little difficult for the little ones to see...but its well worth a visit to pass a bit of time and keep them in the shade for a bit. If you bring a little picnic tge fairies might even let you sit at their table ;)

I think there's one in corkagh park too...so I'll check that out next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I think there's one in corkagh park too...so I'll check that out next week.

Little petting zoo there too just around the corner from the fairy forest, worth a visit too:)

Why is it, when in the middle of the night, you feel like you're the only person in the whole wide world being kept awake by a screaming baby? Even though you know you're not, and I know I've said it here before, but you just feel so isolated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

loubian wrote: »
    Why is it, when in the middle of the night, you feel like you're the only person in the whole wide world being kept awake by a screaming baby? Even though you know you're not, and I know I've said it here before, but you just feel so isolated!

Ah stop I know. a lot of people in my social circle have had babies the same time as me and I seem to be the only one who got one that doesn't sleep. I hate hearing from people now as I feel like crying with frustration and jealousy after talking to them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Question to anyone who's little one had to get grommets.. What were the things you noticed?

I assume you mean before the grommets? Our little one had constant ear infections, with discharge from one ear only. So we assumed the other was ok. She wasn't walking fully but had a good range of words. When he was examined we were told both ears were affected and she had minimal hearing in one ear and reduced hearing in the other

Thinking about it we probably compensated by speaking loudly to her without even knowing it!

After the op the main difference was in her mood: I got my happy child back, she was finally pain free after months of constant earaches. Her speech has come on so quickly and her balance is definitely improved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Some of you may be interested on this:

10384578_10153354021499625_9115993945055007940_n.jpg

Our daughter was always ahead except for speech. So this was the first thing i noticed. Everyone kept saying they all develop differently but i had a feeling there was more too it. The ear infections started to get more and more frequent (on antibiotic about twice a month for about 5 months) She couldnt stand sceeeching (from her younger cousin). And even though she was walking from 11 months her balance was affected (mainly when she had an infection). She was fine until she git croup at 17 months and thats when it all started. She actually stopped sayibg alot of words and when she had the opp in jan she had about 10 words (if even). Now you could have a conversation with her.

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Little petting zoo there too just around the corner from the fairy forest, worth a visit too:)

Ah...I know where the petting farm is...so thats great I know where to find the fairy forests too now. ..thanks! :D

Suucee wrote: »
    Our daughter was always ahead except for speech. So this was the first thing i noticed. Everyone kept saying they all develop differently but i had a feeling there was more too it. The ear infections started to get more and more frequent (on antibiotic about twice a month for about 5 months) She couldnt stand sceeeching (from her younger cousin). And even though she was walking from 11 months her balance was affected (mainly when she had an infection). She was fine until she git croup at 17 months and thats when it all started. She actually stopped sayibg alot of words and when she had the opp in jan she had about 10 words (if even). Now you could have a conversation with her.

Jacks going backwards talking.. His balance has gone down hill he's walking 3 months.. They want to watch him after the course of antibiotics see if his balance gets better.. If it doesn't improve and he needs them how long is public waiting list? Is it expensive to go private

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

kitten_k wrote: »
    Some of you may be interested on this:

That's Sunday sorted :)

Jacks going backwards talking.. His balance has gone down hill he's walking 3 months.. They want to watch him after the course of antibiotics see if his balance gets better.. If it doesn't improve and he needs them how long is public waiting list? Is it expensive to go private

Sounds like Aoife alright. I was reffered in december on public list for consultation. I decided to pay €150 to go private in balinderry hospital to see o'driscoll. As there was no point waiting months if ears werent the problem. Git the private appointment less than a week later. Booked in for a month after that for the opp. I told him i didnt have insurance so would need go private but he said he would leave it with me.
    A then got another bad infection a week later and was only off antibiotics about a week. My parents offered to pay . We originally said no but looking at her so sick we couldnt leave it. It cost about 1500 for the opp in ballinderry under o'driscoll (he's great with kids) and then 85 for another follow up.
    He has said she will prob need tonsils out too as they are very large but they wont do that until she is 3. I got a letter a week after the opp saying she was placed on the public waiting list. So took a month private from refferal to opp and only got confirmation letter from public system after that. I decided not to cancel pubic refferal as if she is proabaly going to need tonsils out no point starting refferal process again. Still havent heard anytging re public apointment.

I would deffinetly ask for ent refferal juat to get the ball rolling

Thank you, I will see my GP as soon as possible.. Hopefully it all kicks off quickly need to make sure we have the money for it too.. Least having an idea of the price I'll be able get it put aside before hand..

How was it for ye all leading up to it and after?

Thank you, I will see my GP as soon as possible.. Hopefully it all kicks off quickly need to make sure we have the money for it too.. Least having an idea of the price I'll be able get it put aside before hand..

How was it for ye all leading up to it and after?

It was so quick didnt have time to think. she was 21 months so didnt know what was happening. She had infection before the opp an was off an antibiotic id sat not even a week before it. We were in for 7 or 8 am. They do the youngest first. So once obbs etc was done she was second down. Was done by 10.30 ish. Ill admit i bawled my eyes out when she went down. I was 6 months pregnant and wasnt allowed in incase they needed gas to sedate her and it would have been dangerous for baba. They didnt need it after though . OH went in with her. We went down for cup of tea and toast and she was out when we went back up.
    She was whingey and tired. They gave her calpol but she couldnt go asleep as canula was in her left hand and she couldnt get at her thumb (shes a thumb sucker). They wouldnt take it off until she ate but they wouldnt let her eat so we spent an hour watching cartoons on tablet. She was still whingey so they gave nurofen but main problem was the thumb.
    They gave her a drink then and some breakfast. She cleared it all and was up and running around by 12. They took canula out and we were home by 1 pm.
    She went for a nap. And slept fine that night.
    She was fairly senaitive to noise for a while . Biggest thing was when she was gone to bed i used to be able to make loads of noise. Even hoover outside her bedroom door. But i remember shortly after the opp i dropped the remote in the sitting room and she heard it in her bedroom. It didnt bother me that i woke her i was so happy she could hear. . We now cant hoover when shes in bed.
    Since the opp she has been sick once with a throat infection.

• Advertisement

I wonder at 15 months will they take it serious or think that we should wait until he gets older to see what's happening.. At the minute he's on antibiotics as both ears are inflamed and he's really not happy at all.. He's way more clumsy looks like he's been beaten his head and legs are black and blue with bruises from falling.. Looks like he's struggling most of the time

I wonder at 15 months will they take it serious or think that we should wait until he gets older to see what's happening.. At the minute he's on antibiotics as both ears are inflamed and he's really not happy at all.. He's way more clumsy looks like he's been beaten his head and legs are black and blue with bruises from falling.. Looks like he's struggling most of the time

Didnt realise he was only 15mnths. God u deffinetly have your hands full. Its hard to know really as speech at 15 months isnt much anyway . I suppose it depends on the frequency of ear infections too. I know what you mean about the balance. A had been walking 6 months before it all started and i remember she would be just walking down the hall and would stumble in to the wall. When in the gps one day with her she just randomly fell over twice in the 5 mins we were in there. .

Suucee wrote: »
    Didnt realise he was only 15mnths. God u deffinetly have your hands full. Its hard to know really as speech at 15 months isnt much anyway . I suppose it depends on the frequency of ear infections too. I know what you mean about the balance. A had been walking 6 months before it all started and i remember she would be just walking down the hall and would stumble in to the wall. When in the gps one day with her she just randomly fell over twice in the 5 mins we were in there. .

See that's just it he's really bad with balance he falls non stop for no reason he's walking 3 months and getting worse if that makes sense.. Its getting really horrible to watch it happening.. I know when I mention it that its gonna be brushed off because of age.. Oh time will tell

See that's just it he's really bad with balance he falls non stop for no reason he's walking 3 months and getting worse if that makes sense.. Its getting really horrible to watch it happening.. I know when I mention it that its gonna be brushed off because of age.. Oh time will tell

Yea sure you will know yourself anyway. With A the speech was the main thing the balance was only off when she had an infection (which became very regular anyway). But i spoke to a woman the day of the opp. And main issue with her daughter was balance. She was 20 mnths having the opp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Saoirse (4 and a half) is getting her grommets in next Friday, she was put on public list at 2 years old. Seen by the Mater Private (through the HSE so still free) in Feb when she was just gone 4 and called for surgery today (again in the Mater Private but paid by the HSE because the waiting list is so long). She has severe hearing loss and a build up of dirt in her ears so will get a clean out and grommets while in surgery.

Our first clues were her balance, she has always always been off balance, even when she first started walking and her speech is still bad. We're hoping she comes on in leaps and bounds. She's actually never had an ear infection.

Well his speech has stalled and what he does say he's slowly not saying anymore.. I know he's young but going backwards can't be right.. And that along with the balance just has me uneasy..
    I don't like the thought of him been in pain. He gets high temps and wakes screaming during the night.. Its awful

• Advertisement

Well I'm in For another sleepless night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Has S's 18mo check up today (he's 19.5mo) and as per usual he has proven himself the world's worst performing monkey. He found a box of toys under the table and delightedly played with them while ignoring the nurse as she tried to get his attention to show him a teddybear. She said that was a bit unusual as most kids would be attracted to her excited tone of voice and want to see what she had. I said that he's very stubborn and will purposefully ignore you if he is happily engaged in an activity.

She started asking me questions about his hearing and if he understood words without pointing and by example I told her that it would be quite common for him to appear to be paying no attention to me but if I asked my husband/mother if they had seen his shoes, he would go get a shoe and bring it to me. She accepted that and moved on to the next part of the check-up while S stood up, went to the toy box, rooted about, came over to me, gave me a toy and went back to his game. I wasn't paying attention at the time as she was asking other questions but after a minute I looked down and saw I was holding Mr Potato's shoes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

iguana wrote: »
    Has S's 18mo check up today (he's 19.5mo) and as per usual he has proven himself the world's worst performing monkey. He found a box of toys under the table and delightedly played with them while ignoring the nurse as she tried to get his attention to show him a teddybear. She said that was a bit unusual as most kids would be attracted to her excited tone of voice and want to see what she had. I said that he's very stubborn and will purposefully ignore you if he is happily engaged in an activity.

She started asking me questions about his hearing and if he understood words without pointing and by example I told her that it would be quite common for him to appear to be paying no attention to me but if I asked my husband/mother if they had seen his shoes, he would go get a shoe and bring it to me. She accepted that and moved on to the next part of the check-up while S stood up, went to the toy box, rooted about, came over to me, gave me a toy and went back to his game. I wasn't paying attention at the time as she was asking other questions but after a minute I looked down and saw I was holding Mr Potato's shoes!

Typical men and their selective hearing. My son did the same at 18 month check.I said he can hear you he is just interested in something else. The child could literally hear the grass grow so she sent me off to mount Carmel and they told me that he could hear the grass grow ha ha little messers

Woohoo bake off finally :-P hope kids don't wake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oh L is the same, he purposefully will let on he doesn't hear if you say something that doesn't suit him. In the first few months at the creche, they asked me if he had a problem with his hearing because he didn't listen. So i did keep an eye on him and no, he just doesn't listen when he doesn't want to do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I have no worries about his hearing at all. I swear, he can be two rooms away with music playing in the room he is in and if you try to have some sneaky contraband (bag of crisps/fizzy drink), he is at your side two seconds after you open the bag/bottle. He hears everything but only pays attention if it suits him.

• Advertisement

My almost 15 month old got chest infection Tuesday and today me and 11 week old have it. Its awful cause I feel desperate and have to be watch them on my own while hubby works. Sooooo tired

Just got an impromptu root canal, or rather, half a root canal and have to go bsck in two weeks for the other half! My whole face is numb!

loubian wrote: »
    Just got an impromptu root canal, or rather, half a root canal and have to go bsck in two weeks for the other half! My whole face is numb!

You have my sincere sympathies! !! Hope you're not in too much discomfort today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Landed in A&E this morning with J after he split his forehead open on the coffee table, it's been glued & had some paper stitches put on. He's back bouncing off the walls like nothing happened. Nice way to spend my birthday :P

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Landed in A&E this morning with J after he split his forehead open on the coffee table, it's been glued & had some paper stitches put on. He's back bouncing off the walls like nothing happened. Nice way to spend my birthday :P

These things are more traumatising for the parents and the little ones. Hope you recovered from the shock and there was a nice birthday drink at the end of your day. Happy birthday :-D

Fussy eater tip! My little ones absolutely love these veggie chips. I prefer to give them fresh veg most days but these are great for the fish finger and chips days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Fussy eater tip! My little ones absolutely love these veggie chips. I prefer to give them fresh veg most days but these are great for the fish finger and chips days!

What age are you feeding them from? Just looking at the 10% salt on the pack and it's quite high but I love the look of them and a good option as carrots in particular are a big favourite

What age are you feeding them from? Just looking at the 10% salt on the pack and it's quite high but I love the look of them and a good option as carrots in particular are a big favourite

They are 1 and 3 so both allowed around 2 grams per day. Most of their food throughout the day would be low enough in salt and I don't add salt to any dinner I make (not even for myself).

They are great for an occasional lazy dinner day but would be cautious enough about salt intake even with fresh food that is naturally high in salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

They are 1 and 3 so both allowed around 2 grams per day. Most of their food throughout the day would be low enough in salt and I don't add salt to any dinner I make (not even for myself).

They are great for an occasional lazy dinner day but would be cautious enough about salt intake even with fresh food that is naturally high in salt.

I cannot wait to give these a whirl and about time they came up with something as nice and healthy(ish) as that in the freezer isle. Only a few months left before I can let up on salt intake. Thanks so much for sharing this - I would have never found them.

I cannot wait to give these a whirl and about time they came up with something as nice and healthy(ish) as that in the freezer isle. Only a few months left before I can let up on salt intake. Thanks so much for sharing this - I would have never found them.

No problem :-) another great one for fussy eaters is to purée carrot in a bit of the water it was cooked in and take baked beans out of sauce and stick it in the carrot sauce. I also make my own fruit juice by boiling raspberries and pears and sieving into beakers. I give them water mostly but sometimes if they are bunged up it helps. If I'm in a big rush I just boil water in the kettle put it in a beaker throw 4 raspberries in give it a shake and stick it in the fridge :-) mine are actually both brilliant with food but my son went through a really fussy patch around 16 months.

Anyone else got any tips?

• Advertisement
Advertisement