Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I don't know if we have specific laws here for that but the mother had 0.9mg of blood alcohol, and has been charged with manslaughter due to neglect.

Good. I hope she spends a long time in prison thinking of what she has done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

That is so so upsetting. I would have always thought a case like that was sad... Extremely so! But since I've become a parent myself i get really really upset when I hear about things like this :(

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ivy :(

That poor poor little baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

Such a pointless and cruel tragedy. I can only hope the baby suffered no pain and the mother suffers plenty. I can't see how I would ever think it was ok to leave my child for 45 minutes in a hot car - it's sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Such a pointless and cruel tragedy. I can only hope the baby suffered no pain and the mother suffers plenty. I can't see how I would ever think it was ok to leave my child for 45 minutes in a hot car - it's sick.

I don't see how she thought it was at all ok to leave a one year old alone for 45 minutes, no matter where she or the child was! Makes me sick thinking about it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

The past week or so, my six-month-old is constantly rolling onto his tummy in his sleep. Any time I check on him during the night, he's on his tummy so I need to roll him back. Should I just leave him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Both mine sleep on there tummy's I've tried changing it but gave up.. I'd say leave him to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I got a terrible fright the first time I woke up and saw S on his stomach. I spent the rest of the night just sitting there watching him as I was too frightened to go back to sleep. But it's considered fine to let a baby sleep on their stomach once they are strong enough to roll themselves into that position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Liam now ONLY sleeps on his tummy, knees tucked under him, and arse in the air!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Liam now ONLY sleeps on his tummy, knees tucked under him, and arse in the air!

I love when babies/toddlers sleep like that! So cute. A sleeps in vaious different positions. It's so hot here at the moment that she tends to sleep flat on her back with arms and legs spread out as wide as possible :)

I ordered her books for nursery school this morning :(
    Because nursery school is part of the primary school here, I keep imagining her starting school in September with a load of 4/5 year olds. I have to keep telling myself she will be in class with others her age. She will be one of the youngest but the oldest will still only be 3 (until January at least anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

5 days old, continuing her desire to become alive at 8pm at night :(

Also doesn't seem keen to be asleep on her back definitely gets that from her dad! Prefers to pull the knees up and stick her ass in the air.

Sister in law is a midwife and lives 5 mins away, has been an absolute godsend as she's been off this week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

5 days old, continuing her desire to become alive at 8pm at night :(

Also doesn't seem keen to be asleep on her back definitely gets that from her dad! Prefers to pull the knees up and stick her ass in the air.

Sister in law is a midwife and lives 5 mins away, has been an absolute godsend as she's been off this week!

oh congrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

The past week or so, my six-month-old is constantly rolling onto his tummy in his sleep. Any time I check on him during the night, he's on his tummy so I need to roll him back. Should I just leave him?

My little guy is the same, started about a month ago, he just decided one night that nothing else would do and he wanted to sleep on his side, no matter what, a couple of days later he was sleeping on his tummy, and has been ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I just leave my fella now, he wails and whinges if I disturb him, then rolls right back. He generally ends up sideways in the top end of the cot! I put him down on his side, if I find him in any weird position, I just make sure his mouth is clear (he tends to snuggle up to his teddy or a muslin) and he's got a clear airway, ie his head is on it's side and his neck is straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'd leave him. My son started doing it at 6 months but at that age they're able to roll back again. My daughter would only sleep on her tummy from 14 weeks. That was nerve wrecking.

Mine started at 3 weeks with reflux that was all that settled her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

So I'm back from holidays and it all went grand bar a few hiccups with the car hire company and their crappy car seats! Flights went great how strange. On the way out we got stuck on the runway for an extra hour and the 15-20 mins before take off were tough but thankfully he fell asleep as soon as the plans hit the air. Breadsticks and a tub of grapes/strawberries entertained him too. He spent ages playing with the airline literature and putting it in/taking it out of the pouch of the seat.
    We brought the big 2piece buggy too and that was great. All in all it was a great experience.

Poor lil bubs has a tummy bug, she's got bad tummy pains and has been getting sick and had very loose nappies :( poor little thing :( she couldn't enjoy her little get together to celebrate her birthday yesterday :( it shows true love when you let your baby get sick down your top multiple times without even flinching!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

loubian wrote: »
    Poor lil bubs has a tummy bug, she's got bad tummy pains and has been getting sick and had very loose nappies :( poor little thing :( she couldn't enjoy her little get together to celebrate her birthday yesterday :( it shows true love when you let your baby get sick down your top multiple times without even flinching!

Aw, the poor little thing :( Hopefully it's just a 24 hr thing and she'll be okay in a day or two. Keep her hydrated; hopefully you won't catch it too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

So so delighted to be joining this thread!:D

Discovered this evening that my adorable four day old baby loves having his pudgy little chin tickled, I'm soooooo smitten with him!!! :)

Bubs is one today and the poor mite is gonna spend it sick. We had another night of vomiting and cramps, having to change bed sheets, pjs and move furniture to get fallen soothers. Luckily no one in the house is in work tomorrow! Add to that a throat infection and were in for a lot of fun. Anyone know how I can make the cramps subside? She won't keep anything down, I'm only giving water and she's vomiting it straight back up :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Merkin wrote: »

Discovered this evening that my adorable four day old baby loves having his pudgy little chin tickled, I'm soooooo smitten with him!!! :)

Congrats merkin! Hope you're keeping well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Loubian I'm sorry to hear your little girl is sick. Just keep an eye out for signs of dehydration especially if she's bringing back up water. At that age it can happen quickly. I'm not saying it to panic you but more to tell you to be aware. If she gets unresponsive or very sleepy go straight to your gp. My son did this once on my mam who is a very experienced childminder. I gave him coke, ribena, lucozade. You name it I gave it to him just to get fluids in to him.

My son was teething very badly on his first birthday so he was totally miserable. It's such a huge milestone for us and them that it's terrible when they're sick for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Congratulations merkin!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

i think need a new baby - this one is broken.

it is making loud screaming sounds making it unusable

Do you still have your receipt? If so bring it back for repair, replacement or refund. :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i think i need a new baby - this one is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Congratulations Merkin!

John Mason wrote: »
    i think i need a new baby - this one is broken.

Only one problem I had with bringing mine back to the rotunda. They told me it was" sold seen". It was in the fine print my wife signed in admission. Quite sneaky really. Who reads the fine print in between contractions. :( that's what I get for giving a woman the responsibility of checking a contract :)

.. dives for cover :D

Only one problem I had with bringing mine back to the rotunda. They told me it was" sold seen". It was in the fine print my wife signed in admission. Quite sneaky really. Who reads the fine print in between contractions. :( that's what I get for giving a woman the responsibility of checking a contract :)

.. dives for cover :D
    My cousin's little boy waited til his new sister was about a week old before telling his mum "Ok we tried her but she's no good, you can bring her back to the shop now"!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My cousin's little boy waited til his new sister was about a week old before telling his mum "Ok we tried her but she's no good, you can bring her back to the shop now"!

Our little guy came out with 'She's mean, she won't play with me'.......
    Now its 'She's mean- she won't share the Lego with me........'
    Be careful what you wish for- you just might get it.........

• Advertisement

Congrats merkin. Loubian when my A usee to get sick alot we struggled to get fluids in to her too. So we used to make a bit of a game out of using a plastic glass. I put water in it take a drink and then she would . It was a novelty because it wasnt a beaker. Then when that stopped working she would drink those fruit shoot drinks. Again the bottle waa a novelty and it waa nice. Hopefully she will be feeling better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Anyone get a green crusty discharge from a new borns eye? I wipe it away with sterilised water but comes back overnight!

Anyone get a green crusty discharge from a new borns eye? I wipe it away with sterilised water but comes back overnight!

My fella had this when he was born for a couple weeks. If ur able to clean it with a small bit of breast milk it helps :)

Our poor little sausage had a bad couple of hours last night with wind. Absolutely awful seeing the little thing in such discomfort, especially given that he's such a chilled out bad contented little fellow, it must have been really bad for him to be so distressed. Back to his thriving self a couple of hours after but an any of you recommend something we can do at the time if/when it happens again?

Our poor little sausage had a bad couple of hours last night with wind. Absolutely awful seeing the little thing in such discomfort, especially given that he's such a chilled out bad contented little fellow, it must have been really bad for him to be so distressed. Back to his thriving self a couple of hours after but an any of you recommend something we can do at the time if/when it happens again?

Gripe water if you can get it. Also try an ounce of warm water with a tip of a spoon of brown sugar.

Hey Hun, hope you are recovering and your little munchkin is doing well! If he has wind first try lying him down for a few minutes and then winding him. If that doesn't work swirling his head in a circular motion (not sure if I'm explaining this very well) and it may bring it up. You can try putting him on his tummy on ur knees and winding him. All else failing gripe water is great and really settles their little tummy. Xxx

Anyone else with two in nappies that plan there poos? My pair always do it at the one time all day same thing.. There out to get me!!

Anyone else with two in nappies that plan there poos? My pair always do it at the one time all day same thing.. There out to get me!!

Hahaha yes!!! Usually when Lilly is in her carseat ready to leave house and Thomas running around the house when were about to leave yelling "big poo poo!!!" So I have to start over and change them.... Usually why I'm late.

Thank god its not just me.. This awful when out somewhere and its just me. Headache

OMG mine do that too and usually straight after breakfast and straight after lunch. On the plus side though at least there both done, have the stuff out and don't have to worry about it an hour or so later. Cant believe its not just my 2.

• Advertisement

Yep always morning and lunch

Crazy babies...!

(Handy but don't like poop nappies)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Ss my 2are always pooing together just changed one and the other one goes xx

Feel like all I do is clean bums all day :-D

Mine loves to wait for a clean nappy.
    He went through a phase of pooing in the bath too, thankfully that's over!

Thanks for the advice girls. Did two things which have made a huge difference to his little wind issue. Have elevated his Moses basket slightly at the head which means he's never lying totally flat. Also got Infacol drops and give him one little dropper before each feed, both have worked a treat and he hasn't griped since.

Have him dressed up in a little Superbaby baby gro today (with the Superman logo) and he's just lush :D Can't believe he's a week old already. He's just had his little bath and he smells of pure goodness! Can't describe the love! :)

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thanks for the advice girls. Did two things which have made a huge difference to his little wind issue. Have elevated his Moses basket slightly at the head which means he's never lying totally flat. Also got Infacol drops and give him one little dropper before each feed, both have worked a treat and he hasn't griped since.

Have him dressed up in a little Superbaby baby gro today (with the Superman logo) and he's just lush :D Can't believe he's a week old already. He's just had his little bath and he smells of pure goodness! Can't describe the love! :)

Oh I had one of those babygros <3

Have a lovely big sniff of his yummy neck for me. I love that milky, powdery new-baby smell. :)

We used the infacol too. Its great when you find something that relieves their pain! How are you? Healing well? The worst of the pain should be over now for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Merkin, I'm only properly seeing your posts now! HUGE congratulations to you and Mr. Merkin. Glad to hear the little one is settling in well.

I'm absolutely exhausted today, I think the reality of the past two weeks have hit me today... Two weeks ago we got a phone call from Our Lady's Childrens Hospital Crumlin to say that our daughter was booked in for her open heart surgery the next Monday (21st July). Everything else is a whirlwind since... Thankfully our little warrior had her surgery on the 21st and was out of the hospital by the 25th! Unfortunately we had to go back on Tuesday to get one of the stitches removed because she wouldn't let the public health nurse near her and she needed to be sedated for it to happen (which resulted in another day admittance to the hospital) but sure who could blame the poor child after what she has been through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

January wrote: »
    Merkin, I'm only properly seeing your posts now! HUGE congratulations to you and Mr. Merkin. Glad to hear the little one is settling in well.

I'm absolutely exhausted today, I think the reality of the past two weeks have hit me today... Two weeks ago we got a phone call from Our Lady's Childrens Hospital Crumlin to say that our daughter was booked in for her open heart surgery the next Monday (21st July). Everything else is a whirlwind since... Thankfully our little warrior had her surgery on the 21st and was out of the hospital by the 25th! Unfortunately we had to go back on Tuesday to get one of the stitches removed because she wouldn't let the public health nurse near her and she needed to be sedated for it to happen (which resulted in another day admittance to the hospital) but sure who could blame the poor child after what she has been through!

Hope she makes a speedy recovery January. It must be tough on you and family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

What's in the 9 month development check? Who does it and what are they looking for. Son is 9 months and will be ringing for appointment next week as we've heard nothing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

January wrote: »

You must be shattered January. Hope your little girl makes a speedy recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

What's in the 9 month development check? Who does it and what are they looking for. Son is 9 months and will be ringing for appointment next week as we've heard nothing yet.

We just had ours last week at 8.5 months. Length, weight and head circumference were checked again as well as her hips. She had a quick chat about how solids were going and talked about toothbrushing. She also did a couple of checks: pincer grip, moving a toy from one hand to the other and how she was at sitting and putting her legs under her.

Advertisement