Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Millem wrote: »
    I got a travel cot but in hindsight I would prefer a playpen as you will get longer out of it. I am buying a playpen now anyway as I am going to give travel cot to childminder. If you do go down travel cot route get one that has the 4 panels see through and get a big one 120cm x 60cm. Argos have one at the mo very very similar to baby dan one http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1574690/Trail/searchtext%3EPLAYPEN.htm

That's the one I have! I also got one for my mother's house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    What nappies do people find best for newborns? I'm using Pampers Newborn Sensitive in the white pack. However I don't find them great. I have size 1 (she is probably about 7.5lb) but as she's long and petite they kind of hang off her bum and all the urine runs to the back and saturates it while the front is still dry. Also the chemical smell when the gel gets wet is horrible.

My little one was long and gangly (born 6lb 3 but left hospital at 5lb 11) they all hung off her. Still long and gangly and same situation. I found the ones your using now the best when she was born. They smell more because they actually have less chemicals. When she got older I moved to the green pampers and now that she pretty much out of nappies I'm using the budget orange pampers which are same price as tesco and lidl and in my opinion fit better. I find having a good fitting vest helps keeps her nappies in place. She is such a skinny little thing but phn said she just has my build and is thriving. I was back into size 6 jeans straight after she was born so I am very petite and long myself. My mam said when I was a child she used to have to buy long jeans for me but the waist of everything was swinging off me. I'm the same with this little one. Forever pulling her trousers up lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

What's the difference between a playpen and a travel cot? Is it just that a playpen is bigger?

We have a travel cot in the sitting room. He's almost seven months now and starting to make attempts at crawling. My plan would be to keep the travel cot in the sitting room, to use when I need to go to the loo etc, and basically let him roam free otherwise. I'm really hoping to do the bare minimum of babyproofing, but like nikpmup, I'll do it as we go when it's actually needed!

What's the story with the foam, can you actually see it on the furniture? Those of you with older babies - is it definitely necessary?

Roesy wrote: »
    Talk to me about playpens people. Would I be right in saying a travel cot would do more or less the same job? She's roaming free at the moment but getting so, so fast and daring.

Got a 40 euro playpen/travel cot in tesco. Does the job fine :-)

What's the difference between a playpen and a travel cot? Is it just that a playpen is bigger?

We have a travel cot in the sitting room. He's almost seven months now and starting to make attempts at crawling. My plan would be to keep the travel cot in the sitting room, to use when I need to go to the loo etc, and basically let him roam free otherwise. I'm really hoping to do the bare minimum of babyproofing, but like nikpmup, I'll do it as we go when it's actually needed!

What's the story with the foam, can you actually see it on the furniture? Those of you with older babies - is it definitely necessary?

I barely baby proofed. Couple of press clips for dangerous presses, plug socket covers (packet of 20 in euro giant for 1.50) few of those little things to put on sharp corners of fire places and tables and that was it. I think you are right to see as you go because most of your baby proofing will just be you moving things they can't stay away from up high lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Oh it's definitely only for a couple of minutes here and there so I can go to the bathroom or if it was raining and I needed to run out to the washing line and didn't want to her to get wet, things like that really. She'll roam free the rest of the time. She's a daredevil though. Thinks she can stand and will pull herself up on things and then leaves go to applaud herself and lands on her bum/head etc and is most aggrieved. Her current favourite spots are under the table or highchair eating bits of food mammy or daddy has missed during clean up so I definitely need a little holding cell for her! We dug out the rarely used travel cot there to see what she made of it. She had a bit of a laugh rolling around for a minute or two then set too working out how to get out. The minute we took her out she slithered straight under to try and gnaw on the leg. Am now considering a room divider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We are doing the same just put him in it if I need to leave for a few minutes. He goes mad though because it is narrow. I have had to Hoover when he is asleep upstairs which obviously isn't great because he will wake up. Another thing it will be great for is when I mop and we are waiting for it to dry . Basically it is much bigger than a travel cot so if your babs is mad to move they will go crazy in the travel cot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

We did very little babyproofing. The one thing I had to do was block off my stairs as they are weird, with different sized spaces between the steps, going from 3" to 20", and it's open to the side. If it had just been a normal staircase I wouldn't have bothered as I taught him to go up and down my parents' stairs safely at 8.5mo and he never had a problem on them. Other than that I just put a dog collar around the press under my kitchen sink as that's where the bleach and other cleaning products are.

I used a travel cot as a playpen from when he was about 3 months old. I put his babygym in there, mainly to keep it away from the dogs, and I would pop him in there if I needed the toilet, to answer the door, etc. At the moment I use the travel cot for his nap times as apart from a precautionary nappy at night, he is out of nappies and the travel cot is easier to clean than a proper mattress would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Chattastrophe, the foam is a soft roll of stuff that sticks on with double sided sticky tape. It's beige in colour, so not too obtrusive. I only have it on the telly cabinet etc because he absolutely insists on pulling himself up and his balance is non existent lol! I'll try to attach a pic so you can get an idea. The cabinet is glass and very pointy-cornered, and just the height to to mega damage to skulls, eyes, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I baby proofed as i needed it. Most sockets out of reach so she never went near them or i would just tell her no. I used a travel cot for naps and then as a safe place if needed to leave her for a min. Will be used alot more now with 2 as its a safe place for him away from her. I never bothered with stuff for corners or edges. Never felt the need. Got a fire gaurd . Stair gates too but they are always open unless there are other kids here. She goes up and down her self no problem (actually top one closed at night incase she goes wondering but never has) and press locks. Started with it just on chemicals press. Then went on dishes press after her facination with trying to pull them out. Then pots and pans got locked up because i got sick of putting them back in. And then food press because she kept wanting a "Sack" (snack).

Laughing at my little one dragging a cup across the stair gate. This one has lived before! Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

My eldest (16 months) now runs round saying "oh yeah" very amusing the last 2 days

They are gas. I'm half expecting to find her back at the gate with a harmonica. My little one is 16 months aswell. She only says hiya and ball so far but she has good set of sounds!

Took jack awhile but he has a few now.. He says Aw gaw which is all gone and uh oh and 2, 3 and go go is go away and gege is yukkie and Lucy is CeCe he has more but coming up blank now.. Some days he won't say 1 word others he never stops

Took jack awhile but he has a few now.. He says Aw gaw which is all gone and uh oh and 2, 3 and go go is go away and gege is yukkie and Lucy is CeCe he has more but coming up blank now.. Some days he won't say 1 word others he never stops

It's crazy how quick it comes on. At 16 months all my son would say is bath (the child loved a bath) and then a few months later he was talking in full sentences and singing a number of songs from start to finish. It just happened overnight. I find if weird that when they start talking their voice never sounds the way you expected it to based on their babble. Am I the only one? The first time my little one said hiya I was like whose voice is that lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Rang PHN on Friday and have an appointment this Thursday with development check doctor after freaking out briefly last Thursday about why we were seeing a doctor and others werent. I asked did she have concerns about sons development on phone and she told me we could chat on Thursday so that's really put my mind at rest.......NOT.... I keep watching him for signs that things aren't happening as they should but I'm obviously being hyper-vigilant.Stupid lack of oxygen at birth ruining my buzz.
    Today though he's started to cry if I'm even looking a tiny bit sad so I've walked around all day with a near clown like face pasted on; my jaws hurt from the fake smile planted on.

Yea jack is really crazy in terms of personality and his voice is so small and babyish like its someone else's baby lol.. But put of no where he started and most weeks he had something new and I'm all amused again

Newtoboards I hope it is all needless worry! (Well nothing is needless as such your been a parent its natural) my little guy was rolling his eyes up into his head while his head was shaking for like 2 weeks freaked me out but now has stopped but doctors are still looking into it anyway.. I won't say no to it

Its super hard not to over think and get upset think at some point were all there! Keep us posted though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

A just had a screaming fit. Proper banshee screams. I'm gonna tear my hair out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

loubian wrote: »
    A just had a screaming fit. Proper banshee screams. I'm gonna tear my hair out.

Ah the poor wee pet. It must be so frustrating for her, not being able to communicate what's wrong. :(

Poor mammy, too!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

my child appears to have forgotten all his goo's, ahh's, gah's and general babble for grunts and groans and general ranting

my head is wrecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My fella is an incredibly moaney baby. most of the day he just whinges :( Can never find anything wrong with him. If its excessive I give him calpol as I think he HAS to be teething but it rarely changes anything.

Really does my head in. Today has been a terrible day for it. I have no patience left and am really down. I feel I can do nothing to make him happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

You poor thing dori my heart goes out to you :( I don't really have any advice except to say that I find the teetha sachets excellent for calming our fella down even when it's not his teeth that are at him (whatever is in that stuff is magic, we call it baby cocaine lol) Does he sleep ok?

Think its the weather but my 16 month old took forever to settle this eve he never cries in bed but tonight he's awful.. Has just gone back to bed after getting him up for an hour.. He set my 4 month old off too took her 20 mins to settle its a vicious cycle

My son decided not to sleep at all last night. Woke up at 2.30 and stayed awake. He never does that and I had a big commute ahead of me as I'm
    Working outside of dublin all this week. They always play up when you reeeeLly don't need if lol

Has to be a change in the moon or something....

Has to be a change in the moon or something....

I swear if he wakes up tonight he is on his own lol he is 3 he will manage to amuse himself lol

Oh don't worry I let my lad sort himself out.. He might wings for 10 secs then find dummy and back to sleep he's not a year and half yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

He sleeps great at night but daytime naps are hard work. Today he only slept for 2 hours out of 12. Nothing would make him rest. Every time I'd try and settle him he'd arch his back and cry and kick and pinch and grab my hair. We've started weaning so I think he's also possibly having digestive pain? He's just really hard work these days. My no cry sleep book is failing me during the day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

L took aggggesss to go to sleep tonight. Maybe it is the moon, indeed?

• Advertisement

L took aggggesss to go to sleep tonight. Maybe it is the moon, indeed?

Mine took ages too! In fairness, we both slept on the couch from 4-7 haha but it took me an hour to settle her down. Trying to get her routine back in place after her being sick so have to stick it out!

Something ain't right with the moon...
    I know loads hate it but I let mine self soothe never lasts long.. And when jack went through his bad phase it was 3 nights and back on track worked 40 mins first night 20 mins second and 5 the third and never a bother since.. Just the odd night like tonight like maybe twice since last Xmas

Mine took ages too! In fairness, we both slept on the couch from 4-7 haha but it took me an hour to settle her down. Trying to get her routine back in place after her being sick so have to stick it out!
    Yeah I think it's routine change with L too. His aunty is visiting from Ireland, feeding him chocolate on the sly, and generally overexciting him! Also we went away for a few days so it's his first night back in his own bed. I think it was all a bit much for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I let mine self soothe never lasts long.

Me too, I'm sure the neighbours think I'm neglecting him half the time :pac: It usually works quick enough but recently he's started this whinge that just gets increasingly loud the longer you ignore it and it culminates in 2-3 minutes of fake coughing, the little rogue!

Yea j does the fake cough my mother showed him how now he won't stop...

Me too, I'm sure the neighbours think I'm neglecting him half the time :pac: It usually works quick enough but recently he's started this whinge that just gets increasingly loud the longer you ignore it and it culminates in 2-3 minutes of fake coughing, the little rogue!

Ohhhh hahahaha my little boy used to do the fake cough!!!!!

Ohhhh hahahaha my little boy used to do the fake cough!!!!!
    Mine too, he'd roar laughing after. It got to the stage where he made himself actually hoarse from fake coughing!

Guys, I just applied for a job that's part time but double my salary now! Please keep everything crossed that I get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Guys, I just applied for a job that's part time but double my salary now! Please keep everything crossed that I get it!

Oh good luck.... My toes are crossed as I type because I need my fingers to type!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

A part time job double your salary ? Where is this??? Ha!

A part time job double your salary ? Where is this??? Ha!

Lol please let me know too! Although I applied for civil service recently and realised the annual salary was roughly what I was getting in my current job for 25 hour week :-O I'm not sure the flexi time is worth it lol

Went to development checkup with doctor and it is not over yet. We're going for more checks in the next while to make sure all is right with the world. Didn't sleep well last night but I'll stop over thinking things soon and return to normal. Other than that I have a 99 percentile baby so he is definitely gigantic and in proportion so that explains my sore back

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

99th percentile?
    You poor thing!
    We were at the other end of the spectrum with a 4th and 9th percentile children- though you wouldn't know it now.
    Hope it all goes well for you- try not to stress out- look at it this way- its an extra check-up, they're keeping an extra close eye on you- which is always a good thing.

My little fella is about 15th percentile for height and weight.
    But 99th percentile for head circumference! He's a puddin head as my grandfather would say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

At 9 months we're in the 90's across the board too! Did they say what they were following up on newtoboards? It's good they are being thorough and hopefully next time you'll be told there's nothing to worry about.

We had an appointment about something that was an issue at birth yesterday and the neonatologist asked how we'd gotten on with our hip consult. We were never told she needed one! Usually they recommend it being done before 4 months, 9 months later we hear about it for the first time! We were so annoyed but they squeezed us in for an X-ray yesterday so hopefully all will be good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

My son was average birth weight (7lb8) but within a few weeks was in the 99th percentile and has remained there! He's 20 months now and had his 18 month check last month. Still in the 99th percentile for both weight and height. It's impossible trying to change his nappy while is squirming around! Lol. My back is broke... Just thanking god I'm not pregnant anymore coz lifting him while I was preggers was an ordeal to say the least!

Lol please let me know too! Although I applied for civil service recently and realised the annual salary was roughly what I was getting in my current job for 25 hour week :-O I'm not sure the flexi time is worth it lol

My dad worked in the civil service his whole working life and he always says you will never be rich but you will never be poor because it is a job for life. (Pas long as your contract is permanent). They have cut all the civil servants wages for new entrants it's terrible, they have different pay scales on the go for the same job! But I would really consider the other benefits eg full pay mat leave, 3 and a half months sick leave full pay, pension etc. Some of my friends work in the civil service and if they work overtime they can build it up and take days off! Amazing!! I could be wrong but I think you can apply for term time.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    My son was average birth weight (7lb8) but within a few weeks was in the 99th percentile and has remained there! He's 20 months now and had his 18 month check last month. Still in the 99th percentile for both weight and height. It's impossible trying to change his nappy while is squirming around! Lol. My back is broke... Just thanking god I'm not pregnant anymore coz lifting him while I was preggers was an ordeal to say the least!

I know what you mean with nappy changes. Hopefully he'll slow down his growth soon. His head was always big and they monitored its size when he was small (not that I remember that time) He was like a bobble headed doll but he's well and truly grown into it!

My baby was always in the more than 95th percentile for everything including his head, I find it much easier to get tops with buttons on the necks!!!! God only know what he is now! I was told yesterday we have to ordered next car seat as his head is at the top of his besafe izi go, he is nearly 7 months!!!

On the head thing I say this diagram when looking up ERF seats, basically they grow into them!!! Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

My baby was always in the more than 95th percentile for everything including his head, I find it much easier to get tops with buttons on the necks!!!! God only know what he is now! I was told yesterday we have to ordered next car seat as his head is at the top of his besafe izi go, he is nearly 7 months!!!

On the head thing I say this diagram when looking up ERF seats, basically they grow into them!!! Lol

Lol we had to get the bugger carseat when my fella was around 6 months even tho they say you're meant to wait till 9 months. Bye bye maxi cosi! He hated it and was so cramped in it. My little girl love it (do handy)... She was the exact same birth weight as son but so much smaller now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement