Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Millem wrote: »
    My dad worked in the civil service his whole working life and he always says you will never be rich but you will never be poor because it is a job for life. (Pas long as your contract is permanent). They have cut all the civil servants wages for new entrants it's terrible, they have different pay scales on the go for the same job! But I would really consider the other benefits eg full pay mat leave, 3 and a half months sick leave full pay, pension etc. Some of my friends work in the civil service and if they work overtime they can build it up and take days off! Amazing!! I could be wrong but I think you can apply for term time.

I realise this is offtopic- but I'll reply just to clearup any confusion.

All civil servants wages were cut- not just new starts- though the new starts were put on an even lower scale than previous. A new amalgamated scale has been done up- and all civil servants, of the same grade, will be on the same scale.

Full pay maternity leave- is a nice benefit for those considering having children. Its not unique though- almost 80% of posts in the private sector- never mind the public sector, offer this identical benefit. Companies who do not offer it- are now the exception rather than the norm.

3 and a half months sick pay- this is over a 4 year rolling period- and you would risk your job if you were ill enough that you actually had this amount of sick leave- as you would inevitably be referred to the Chief Medical Officer. Also- when you consider its over a 4 year period- a few bouts of the flu or pretty much anything at all- and you'd be running this tally down very very fast.

Pension- the vast bulk of your pension in lower grades (up to AP)- is the PRSI contributory pension. Civil servants do not earn a civil service pension on the first 26-28 gross salary at all- just their PRSI pension. This means COs do not really get a civil service pension- other than the 1 and half times lumpsum when they retire. The stories you read in the media about gold-plated pensions etc- are just that- stories.....

Flexitime- is privilege not a right. Many areas do not operate flexitime- as they aim to be as available to the public as possible (from early morning- over lunch and till fairly late in the evening). Some offices may be covered from 8AM to 7PM- where once this would have been laughed at.

Where flexitime does apply- you have to work your 7.24 a day (you clock out for lunch etc) and you have core periods where you *have* to be physically there- between 10AM and 12.30 and between 2PM and 4PM. Outside that- you clock out for lunch etc- and make up your 7.24 a day.

You can earn an extra day leave by working up flexi time- but you cannot accumulate them- aka flexi is run in 4 week blocks- you can earn 1 day overtime to spend in the next 4 week block. You cannot accumulate them. Its 1 day- regardless of how much overtime you work- and you loose any additional time.

Term-time- doesn't exist anymore- its been replaced with 'periodic leave' which is open to anyone, not just parents. Its unpaid leave which is taken in blocks- with the agreement of management. Its not guaranteed- aka if work needs of a section dictate, you may not be granted it. Also- its not just parents anymore- and its wholly unpaid- so you have to be in a position to afford it. If you apply sufficiently in advance- in some cases- your salary can be spread over the course of the year- to take the period of unpaid leave into account. Once you've been an officer for 2 years- normally you're entitled to apply for periodic leave- though you're not guaranteed to be granted it. It used to be called 'Term-time' as it was designed for parents to take leave when children were on holidays from school- but now its open to any staff, and isn't called term-time any longer.

Hope this clarifies a few things.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Both my babies were in the 90+ percentile too for weight. They were breastfed so it guessed it was the way nature intended them to be. My daughter is still quite big compared to other babies her age (15 months). My gp asked me when she was 8 months if I was giving her too much juice. I told him she was hardly eating solid food at that stage and never had juice.

My son had an exceptionally large head as a baby/young toddler which I'm glad to say he's grown into now at 3.5 years.

As for paid maternity leave in the private sector, it's becoming more and more unusual. We had to argue our case very hard in our company as the hr director (not Irish and not living in Ireland) didn't want to pay anything. A lot of companies cut paid maternity leave in 2008 as a cost cutting measure. Perhaps the multinationals still pay it but it's definitely not the norm across the private sector anymore.

They spoke to other hr managers in Dublin to see what was the general trend and quite a lot confirmed they paid very little or nothing.

We get 10 paid sick leave days a year. After that we've to apply through social welfare as our salaries are stopped. I was deducted four days for sick leave before my maternity leave started last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I realise this is offtopic- but I'll reply just to clearup any confusion.

All civil servants wages were cut- not just new starts- though the new starts were put on an even lower scale than previous. A new amalgamated scale has been done up- and all civil servants, of the same grade, will be on the same scale.

Full pay maternity leave- is a nice benefit for those considering having children. Its not unique though- almost 80% of posts in the private sector- never mind the public sector, offer this identical benefit. Companies who do not offer it- are now the exception rather than the norm.

3 and a half months sick pay- this is over a 4 year rolling period- and you would risk your job if you were ill enough that you actually had this amount of sick leave- as you would inevitably be referred to the Chief Medical Officer. Also- when you consider its over a 4 year period- a few bouts of the flu or pretty much anything at all- and you'd be running this tally down very very fast.

Pension- the vast bulk of your pension in lower grades (up to AP)- is the PRSI contributory pension. Civil servants do not earn a civil service pension on the first 26-28 gross salary at all- just their PRSI pension. This means COs do not really get a civil service pension- other than the 1 and half times lumpsum when they retire. The stories you read in the media about gold-plated pensions etc- are just that- stories.....

Flexitime- is privilege not a right. Many areas do not operate flexitime- as they aim to be as available to the public as possible (from early morning- over lunch and till fairly late in the evening). Some offices may be covered from 8AM to 7PM- where once this would have been laughed at.

Where flexitime does apply- you have to work your 7.24 a day (you clock out for lunch etc) and you have core periods where you *have* to be physically there- between 10AM and 12.30 and between 2PM and 4PM. Outside that- you clock out for lunch etc- and make up your 7.24 a day.

You can earn an extra day leave by working up flexi time- but you cannot accumulate them- aka flexi is run in 4 week blocks- you can earn 1 day overtime to spend in the next 4 week block. You cannot accumulate them. Its 1 day- regardless of how much overtime you work- and you loose any additional time.

Term-time- doesn't exist anymore- its been replaced with 'periodic leave' which is open to anyone, not just parents. Its unpaid leave which is taken in blocks- with the agreement of management. Its not guaranteed- aka if work needs of a section dictate, you may not be granted it. Also- its not just parents anymore- and its wholly unpaid- so you have to be in a position to afford it. If you apply sufficiently in advance- in some cases- your salary can be spread over the course of the year- to take the period of unpaid leave into account. Once you've been an officer for 2 years- normally you're entitled to apply for periodic leave- though you're not guaranteed to be granted it. It used to be called 'Term-time' as it was designed for parents to take leave when children were on holidays from school- but now its open to any staff, and isn't called term-time any longer.

Hope this clarifies a few things.......

I am a teachers so I really can't complain but I would love the chance for flexitime, the term time thing I thought was the proportion of your salary spread - I think this is a good option if you could afford it. We have the same sick leave 3 and a half months over the 4 years, I think critical illness is 6 months? Anyway this is still good to know it's there.

I didn't think it was the norm in private sector to pay maternity leave? My sis works in one of those big companies and they only top up for 16 weeks :(

Gosh I didn't realise everyone didn't get a pension :( I have automatically been paying in since I was 22, I always get very annoyed looking at my pay slip!
    I hear what you are saying about pensions but I still think 1 and half times lump is good. My mum and dad were both in the civil/ public service and are both retire. My vet is always telling me how is private pension fund just loses money :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

A super moon is due on Sunday. Things going to be crazy for a few more days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

I got a top up for 16 weeks on maternity leave in the private sector. I was on leave with 3 friends from different companies and only one got full pay for the 6 month duration. I was lucky enough to get a raise when I went back to work so it will help with the costs of the final month of unpaid leave as I hadn't intended staying out that month extra so didn't budget for it. I so missed being paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Reading this realising how lucky I am to get full wage on maternity leave (and bonuses) in private sector. Company are also brilliant with sick pay. They pay my husband and kids vhi and the policy were on is pretty amazing. I went on a job hunt recently as I wasn't sure I wanted to stay but I very quickly changed my mind when I seen what is out there in terms of wages and benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I'd be absolutely amazed if that is an accurate statistic! I'm lucky enough to have that benefit where I work, but the vast majority of private sector employees that I know don't get any top-up at all. From what I hear, in recent years it's becoming very unusual for private sector companies to provide it.

I literally couldn't have afforded to come back to work if I wasn't paid while on leave ... wouldn't have been able to get the creche deposit together, let alone anything else. The pregnancy was unplanned and we had no savings, we still don't - we basically scrape by. I was seriously lucky to be working in one of the few private companies that provide maternity pay.

I'd be absolutely amazed if that is an accurate statistic! I'm lucky enough to have that benefit where I work, but the vast majority of private sector employees that I know don't get any top-up at all. From what I hear, in recent years it's becoming very unusual for private sector companies to provide it.

I literally couldn't have afforded to come back to work if I wasn't paid while on leave ... wouldn't have been able to get the creche deposit together, let alone anything else. The pregnancy was unplanned and we had no savings, we still don't - we basically scrape by. I was seriously lucky to be working in one of the few private companies that provide maternity pay.

Had a quick check- it would appear that 80% of companies pay a maternity benefit topup (the report doesn't say its 100% topup) for a period of time (which appears to differ from company to company)). The US companies based here seem to offer 16 or 18 weeks benefit- if the employee is a permanent employee with at least 3 years service, not on contract, and is coming back after the mat leave. The report was released by Chambers Ireland in the run up to the April 2013 taxation of benefits- I'm not sure if its available online, but it is available to members.

Had a quick check- it would appear that 80% of companies pay a maternity benefit topup (the report doesn't say its 100% topup) for a period of time (which appears to differ from company to company)). The US companies based here seem to offer 16 or 18 weeks benefit- if the employee is a permanent employee with at least 3 years service, not on contract, and is coming back after the mat leave. The report was released by Chambers Ireland in the run up to the April 2013 taxation of benefits- I'm not sure if its available online, but it is available to members.

Hmmm.

Does this report state that 80% of companies offer this benefit - or that 80% of employees are eligible for said benefit?

For example, if in a lot of companies the top-up is only available for long-service employees at management level, you could still say that 80% of employers offer it (but that only a tiny percentage of employees could actually qualify for it) ...

Hmmm.

Does this report state that 80% of companies offer this benefit - or that 80% of employees are eligible for said benefit?

For example, if in a lot of companies the top-up is only available for long-service employees at management level, you could still say that 80% of employers offer it (but that only a tiny percentage of employees could actually qualify for it) ...

80% of companies who responded to the Chambers survey.
    No idea what percentage of their employees are eligible- but from the text- those on contracts wouldn't be eligible, nor would those who haven't been with the company for less than a specified period of time.
    The purpose of the study was to ascertain HR preparations for the tax change for mat benefit in April of last year- so that was the main focus.

• Advertisement

80% of companies who responded to the Chambers survey.
    No idea what percentage of their employees are eligible- but from the text- those on contracts wouldn't be eligible, nor would those who haven't been with the company for less than a specified period of time.
    The purpose of the study was to ascertain HR preparations for the tax change for mat benefit in April of last year- so that was the main focus.

I'm interested in this (as someone who works in Payroll) - have you any idea how most companies who do give the top-ups deal with the taxation of maternity benefits? Is the the employer taking the hit, or the employee?

I.e. does the employer top up the salary to counteract the taxation on the maternity benefit, or is the employee now receiving below their usual monthly salary to allow for it, in most cases?

Would be interested in hearing anyone's experiences with this - I've talked to Revenue and to our Payroll provider about it, and have gotten very mixed views as to how it is being handled and as to how it should be handled.

I'm interested in this (as someone who works in Payroll) - have you any idea how most companies who do give the top-ups deal with the taxation of maternity benefits? Is the the employer taking the hit, or the employee?

I.e. does the employer top up the salary to counteract the taxation on the maternity benefit, or is the employee now receiving below their usual monthly salary to allow for it, in most cases?

Would be interested in hearing anyone's experiences with this - I've talked to Revenue and to our Payroll provider about it, and have gotten very mixed views as to how it is being handled and as to how it should be handled.

Chatastrophe I work for dept of ed and I got more than my usual salary. I got the €262 from dept of social welfare and then from dept of ed I got the balance but I didn't pay Prsi or USC on €262. I got an extra €28.76 per week :)

Chatastrophe I work for dept of ed and I got more than my usual salary. I got the €262 from dept of social welfare and then from dept of ed I got the balance but I didn't pay Prsi or USC on €262. I got an extra €28.76 per week :)

That'll have changed now though since the new legislation came in, I'd imagine! Because you'd have gone on leave before 1st Jan '14.

That'll have changed now though since the new legislation came in, I'd imagine! Because you'd have gone on leave before 1st Jan '14.

Yes I went in dec 2013 :) do you have to pay Prsi and USC now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I got 80% of my salary for 4 months, 60% for 5th month and nothing for 6th. My employer paid the 80% or 60% minus the maternity benefit that I received from social welfare.

It was pretty straightforward until the benefit was taxable. Then I had to get revenue to divide mr tax credits between my salary and my maternity benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I'm not looking for medical advice.. But besides the pill and the obvious condoms what other contraception is there.. Im really weirded out by the coil cause its left in I just can't bare things like that even iv's drive me insane, I'll take needles all day over things like that.. I really don't want to get pregnant right now and thanks to pcos never needed anything like this before.. But after my first (clomid baby) I got pregnant 8 weeks after giving birth so I work like a normal woman after giving birth.. My gp gave me the pill but I hate it its never been good to me as teenager when I needed it to regulate periods..

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Abstinence synester :-O haha. How about the implant ? Don't like the idea of the coil myself. Have you tried different pills?

I'm not looking for medical advice.. But besides the pill and the obvious condoms what other contraception is there.. Im really weirded out by the coil cause its left in I just can't bare things like that even iv's drive me insane, I'll take needles all day over things like that.. I really don't want to get pregnant right now and thanks to pcos never needed anything like this before.. But after my first (clomid baby) I got pregnant 8 weeks after giving birth so I work like a normal woman after giving birth.. My gp gave me the pill but I hate it its never been good to me as teenager when I needed it to regulate periods..

You could always try the patch. Most people I know wear it on their hip as the further down it is the less likely it is to mess with your emotions. I was considering it because I'm not great with pill and injection. Literally a maniac with both. Have settled on copper coil now as there are no hormones in it and it lasts 10 years. Mirena is only 5 years I think.

Think if it was a toss up between implant and coil I'd go with coil mainly because its easier to get out... Any chance I can be knocked out for it? I think ignorance is bliss lol

• Advertisement

I got free Johnsons wipes in Supervalu today!

They were stacked on the shelves and marked at half price. Johnsons are not the make I usually use, but we were stuck so I threw a pack into the basket.

At the till, the cashier couldn't scan them. Then she pointed out to me that there was no barcode on them, because they were marked "Part of a multipack, cannot be sold seperately" ... and then gave them to me to put in the shopping bag. :confused: I was like ... "But you can't sell them to me if you can't scan them?" She said, "Sure what can I do? Take them. Go on." I said, "OK ... um, thanks ... but you should probably tell one of the managers that there are packets of wipes out on the shelves marked at half price that can't be scanned ... do you think?" She replied, "Honestly, do you think I give a sh*te?"

Meah, free wipes, I'm happy! 'Twas weird, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Think if it was a toss up between implant and coil I'd go with coil mainly because its easier to get out... Any chance I can be knocked out for it? I think ignorance is bliss lol

I have the coil in- it was not ....fun....getting it put in. i mean, i dont really have periods anymore and i dont have to worry about getting pregnant again and its very low hormones so it suits me. I dont know if i will ever get another one again because getting it in was painful. I just hope getting it out doesnt hurt haha! (and if i ever do get it in again I DEMAND to be knocked out lol)

Rachineire wrote: »
    I have the coil in- it was not ....fun....getting it put in. i mean, i dont really have periods anymore and i dont have to worry about getting pregnant again and its very low hormones so it suits me. I dont know if i will ever get another one again because getting it in was painful. I just hope getting it out doesnt hurt haha! (and if i ever do get it in again I DEMAND to be knocked out lol)

Oh god ha ha how sore? Slightly more than a smear test or like an internal when your 10 centimetres? Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

I've the mirena. I just wanted something that I didn't have to remember to take. I also wanted low hormones as I've PCOS so didn't want that to get worse. While it was uncomfortable to have put in and took a while to "settle in" it's so handy now! I'd had two babies close together and I'm pretty sure I don't want anymore so it's great for me! I've still not had a period, lo is nearly 11 months and I breastfed so I'm sure that effects it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

+1 on the coil
    I had mine in for years before taking it out recently.

The negativeness. Of getting it in far outweighs the benefits for me. It's worse than a smear but not as bad as internal, but then you don't have to think about taking anything, you don't have tobuy pads, you can swim with the kids whenever it doesn't matter,the list is endless. I found I wasn't half as hormonal. My periods were super heavy before and since getting it out even,I have super light periods. Also if you do plan to have more you can get pregnant straight away, I have mine out since December and pregnant since Mar /April and wasn't even trying!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Ive the patch and it really suits me. Ive also been on the injection. I came off the patch to have our baby but it has successfully suited me for years. Pain and hassle free.
    Does anyone know can reflux develop? My seven month old isobel had mild colic and is able to get up wind now no problem. Shes on solids since 17 weeks and recently has started getting sick. Sometimes its a small bit of just her food and sometimes its half her bottle mixed with food that just gushes from her mouth. She doesn't be cranky before or after getting sick and is still sleeping and eating as normal. She has gaviscon for infant in every bottle. If anyone had any advice or opinions I'd be grateful. Thanks

• Advertisement

Thanks all for comments.. I'm gonna approach my doctor and see if I can be knocked out or drunk for it lol..

Is it OK to not get AF? With pcos its very easy to put on weight so hoping not to with whatever I get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I was on the patch before I fell pregnant and loved it, but it's not recommended for women over 35 afaik and I'm 34 now. Ugh, new contraception needed :(

Squish is fifteen days old now and I went on a solo trip to Liffey Valley this morning with her in a kari me wrap. Babywearing is brilliant!! She fell fast asleep as soon as she was in it, I was able to go for leisurely coffee and a quick trip around the shops, it was an absolute joy
    :D I can see many sling purchases in my future...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Thanks all for comments.. I'm gonna approach my doctor and see if I can be knocked out or drunk for it lol..

Is it OK to not get AF? With pcos its very easy to put on weight so hoping not to with whatever I get

Oh meant to say my doc prescribed me zanix to take before I got it done took the edge off completely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm not sure the coil is for me if you don't get a period. I'm really at a loss as to what to do, have GP appointment for six-week checkup so will sort it then but I'm not overly keen on going back on Pill (am over 35) and yet I want something that doesn't require any planning. Anyone tried the mini pill?

Merkin wrote: »
    I'm not sure the coil is for me if you don't get a period. I'm really at a loss as to what to do, have GP appointment for six-week checkup so will sort it then but I'm not overly keen on going back on Pill (am over 35) and yet I want something that doesn't require any planning. Anyone tried the mini pill?

I'm on the mini-pill but considering the coil, as we won't be going again for a few years. The mini-pill seems to suit me fine, I got horrible side-effects with any other pill I've ever tried. I get the odd bit of bleeding - identical to the implantation bleeding I got when I was pregnant! So I'm constantly paranoid and have had to do a couple of tests just in case! For a lot of people, their periods stop altogether when on the pill. Others get constant light bleeding. But it does seem to suit an awful lot of women, might be worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Our little lad started sitting up on his own today and I suddenly realised how nerve wracking it is! We have wooden floors and I'm terrified he'll fall backwards and smack his head - how do you other mammies deal with this? He has already fallen backwards several times but I have been there to catch him. The days of putting pillows around him or a blanket down are gone, because he's semi-crawling now, so he just moves away and sits up somewhere else. I have ordered a big foam jigsaw playmat on amazon but it won't arrive until Friday :(
    So for now, when he's on the floor, mammy is on the floor too and I can't get anything else done in the house this way!
    Any advice?

Our little lad started sitting up on his own today and I suddenly realised how nerve wracking it is! We have wooden floors and I'm terrified he'll fall backwards and smack his head - how do you other mammies deal with this? He has already fallen backwards several times but I have been there to catch him. The days of putting pillows around him or a blanket down are gone, because he's semi-crawling now, so he just moves away and sits up somewhere else. I have ordered a big foam jigsaw playmat on amazon but it won't arrive until Friday :(
    So for now, when he's on the floor, mammy is on the floor too and I can't get anything else done in the house this way!
    Any advice?

We are the same :( I have been sitting behind him (not supporting him) but ready to catch him! I really want a foam playmat! Did you get an alphabet one?

We are the same :( I have been sitting behind him (not supporting him) but ready to catch him! I really want a foam playmat! Did you get an alphabet one?

Yeah I got the one on amazon that is supposed to be 3 square metres in size, so I hope it will take up a good bit of the floor here

We have a good thick playmat, but you'd be surprised how quickly they get stable sitting up and stop falling back - it only took a couple of days between him sitting alone for a few seconds, and him being able to sit comfortably on his own for quite a while. I find that if he's tired he's far more likely to lean forwards than to fall backwards.

Yeah I got the one on amazon that is supposed to be 3 square metres in size, so I hope it will take up a good bit of the floor here

I was going to just go to symths last week because I was desperate for one! But then I heard that the ones in symths have a funny chemical smell?? If your one is any good would you mind reporting back and I will order it? Thanks a mil :)

I am also fighting a war against dog hair (and losing)!!!

I have the alphabet ones from smyths and there is no smell. Hardly used them at all as once she was sitting on her own it wasn't long before she was bumming around the place lol

I have the alphabet ones from smyths and there is no smell. Hardly used them at all as once she was sitting on her own it wasn't long before she was bumming around the place lol

It was someone who bought them last week ?? I would actually love a "tumble" mat! I have no idea where you buy them but I saw them in the flesh last month at a kiddies summer camp, they look like a gymnastic mat but they fold up and are in primary colours!

I was going to just go to symths last week because I was desperate for one! But then I heard that the ones in symths have a funny chemical smell?? If your one is any good would you mind reporting back and I will order it? Thanks a mil :)

I am also fighting a war against dog hair (and losing)!!!

sure thing - I will let you know. We have 2 dogs as well and the hair is always there, no matter how well we hoover the place. I have given up worrying about it.

sure thing - I will let you know. We have 2 dogs as well and the hair is always there, no matter how well we hoover the place. I have given up worrying about it.

I never realised the hair was that bad until now! I am hoovering twice a day :( I am changing his pjs every day and have started to put "dog/crawling" clothes (tracksuit bottoms and top) on him indoors and then change his clothes when we go out! He is obsessed with the eldest dog (retriever/lab) who also happens to shed the most :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We have cats and the shedding really gets to me. If our ginger one gets anywhere near the little fella, he reaches over and grabs a chunk of fur and puts it in his mouth!! ewww!

Youd thnk the cat would mind but he doesnt!! i try to keep them apart but it doesnt always work. The cat is fascinated by him and sits close by and watches him!

Also we picked up some foam floor tiles in Tesco in a sale. Cant remember the price though

• Advertisement

We have cats and the shedding really gets to me. If our ginger one gets anywhere near the little fella, he reaches over and grabs a chunk of fur and puts it in his mouth!! ewww!

Youd thnk the cat would mind but he doesnt!! i try to keep them apart but it doesnt always work. The cat is fascinated by him and sits close by and watches him!

Also we picked up some foam floor tiles in Tesco in a sale. Cant remember the price though

The dog is the same. She actually loves when he is grabbing her!! I put him in his gym the other day and by the time I sat down he had managed to make his way over to her and got up on her back :eek: both of them were delighted with themselves!

I would love something where I can just put up and down and give it a wipe over? I will check in tesco today.

On a separate note our house is starting to get taken over by baby stuff!! I don't know whether to sell them or put them in storage (parents house)? Baby number 2 won't be here for 4 years?? I have a cot, changing table, car seat and isofix base, baby carrier, baby bath and probably lots more??
    I have all the clothes in vacuum bags which I am going to keep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

The dog is the same. She actually loves when he is grabbing her!! I put him in his gym the other day and by the time I sat down he had managed to make his way over to her and got up on her back :eek: both of them were delighted with themselves!

I would love something where I can just put up and down and give it a wipe over? I will check in tesco today.

On a separate note our house is starting to get taken over by baby stuff!! I don't know whether to sell them or put them in storage (parents house)? Baby number 2 won't be here for 4 years?? I have a cot, changing table, car seat and isofix base, baby carrier, baby bath and probably lots more??
    I have all the clothes in vacuum bags which I am going to keep.

How come you're not using the stuff anymore? I'm intending on stretching the life out of all the baby stuff as much as possible! Would the changing unit not be good even for storage? You never know how things go. Number 2 might come quicker than you expect :)

kandr10 wrote: »
    How come you're not using the stuff anymore? I'm intending on stretching the life out of all the baby stuff as much as possible! Would the changing unit not be good even for storage? You never know how things go. Number 2 might come quicker than you expect :)

He has outgrown his baby car seat, isofix base, ikea changing table and baby carrier thing :(

We have two changing tables the one in his room is longer and bigger so we are still using that :)

The cot was bought as he outgrew his Moses basket but I wanted him to still stay in our room and his cotbed is in his room :)

The baby bath was a waste of time as I used the sink! Actually one of my neighbours has it at the mo.

Do they out growthe isofix? I thought you just got a bigger seat to slot into it?

I'm keeping everything for baby no 2. No way I'm paying twice for stuff! I found we rarely used the baby bath too so ill probably hand that on to someone.

What kind of carrier do you have? Most can be used into toddler years

Do they out growthe isofix? I thought you just got a bigger seat to slot into it?

I'm keeping everything for baby no 2. No way I'm paying twice for stuff! I found we rarely used the baby bath too so ill probably hand that on to someone.

What kind of carrier do you have? Most can be used into toddler years

Yes the isofix only does the infant seat, it is an besafe izi go. He is too heavy for me in carrier, tbh too heavy even to lift when he is in car seat.

my lad has outgrown his jumperoo and I am lost without it! Even 15 mins in it was a great help if I needed something done.
    I am on ''fall-watch'' all day today and the house is in a mess but what can I do - those foam mats better arrive soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

my lad has outgrown his jumperoo and I am lost without it! Even 15 mins in it was a great help if I needed something done.
    I am on ''fall-watch'' all day today and the house is in a mess but what can I do - those foam mats better arrive soon!

What age did ur LO outgrow his jumperoo? I have one but LO is 21 weeks and I'm not quite sure if she's ready for it yet...

Yes the isofix only does the infant seat, it is an besafe izi go. He is too heavy for me in carrier, tbh too heavy even to lift when he is in car seat.

My fella is too heavy to lift in the car seat anymore. 6 months old and over 22
    Lbs. I just leave it in the car and carry him in and out the house.
    He outgrew his Karime after 3 months but i just got an ergobaby and I can barely feel the weight when I carry him in it.
    That isofix is a bit of a rip off so! Didn't know that. Thankfully he's got about 1.5 inches of headroom left in the baby seat.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    What age did ur LO outgrow his jumperoo? I have one but LO is 21 weeks and I'm not quite sure if she's ready for it yet...

Thought I'd investigate this jumperoo I keep hearing about!

Just looked at the specs on the jumperoo. It says 6 months plus but only 11 kilos max. That's 24 lbs.
    my fella is 22lbs and just 6 months. Think that'd be a waste of €100!

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Thought I'd investigate this jumperoo I keep hearing about!

Just looked at the specs on the jumperoo. It says 6 months plus but only 11 kilos max. That's 24 lbs.
    my fella is 22lbs and just 6 months. Think that'd be a waste of €100!

:(

You might be able to pick one up second hand for cheaper, but don't know how long you would get out of it if he already nearing the max. They are great though.

Advertisement