Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Sligo1 wrote: »
    What age did ur LO outgrow his jumperoo? I have one but LO is 21 weeks and I'm not quite sure if she's ready for it yet...

He's 8 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

kitten_k wrote: »
    You might be able to pick one up second hand for cheaper, but don't know how long you would get out of it if he already nearing the max. They are great though.

Yeah I'd say something like that would be in danger of falling over if you go over the weight limit. Maybe my next baby won't be such a pudding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My fella is too heavy to lift in the car seat anymore. 6 months old and over 22
    Lbs. I just leave it in the car and carry him in and out the house.
    He outgrew his Karime after 3 months but i just got an ergobaby and I can barely feel the weight when I carry him in it.
    That isofix is a bit of a rip off so! Didn't know that. Thankfully he's got about 1.5 inches of headroom left in the baby seat.

Our baby was 20lbs at 4 months so god only knows what he weighs now at almost 7 months :rolleyes:

My fella is too heavy to lift in the car seat anymore. 6 months old and over 22
    Lbs. I just leave it in the car and carry him in and out the house.
    He outgrew his Karime after 3 months but i just got an ergobaby and I can barely feel the weight when I carry him in it.
    That isofix is a bit of a rip off so! Didn't know that. Thankfully he's got about 1.5 inches of headroom left in the baby seat.

Our baby was 20lbs at 4 months so god only knows what he weighs now at almost 7 months :rolleyes:

Don't talk to me about rip off car seats :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

My one year old has turned into a right wee demon in the last month. She was such an angel baby before then. She isn't showing any of the classic symptoms of teething. She has been on the move the last month and is shuffling around on her bum. She is throwing some serious tantrums, squealing and never seems happy for long periods like before. Any ideas what it might be? I'm absolutely drained and exhausted from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

My one year old has turned into a right wee demon in the last month. She was such an angel baby before then. She isn't showing any of the classic symptoms of teething. She has been on the move the last month and is shuffling around on her bum. She is throwing some serious tantrums, squealing and never seems happy for long periods like before. Any ideas what it might be? I'm absolutely drained and exhausted from it.

I hate to tell you but that's her age lol myself and my friend were talking about this a few months ago as there is only 2 days between our girls and it literally started the same week for both of them. We both have boys that never did this especially the screeching so the conversation was very much wtf is that all about lol mine is much better now that she is walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thought I'd investigate this jumperoo I keep hearing about!

Just looked at the specs on the jumperoo. It says 6 months plus but only 11 kilos max. That's 24 lbs.
    my fella is 22lbs and just 6 months. Think that'd be a waste of €100!

:(

Dori, my son was in 99th percentile for weight and height his whole life (except the first 2 weeks he was born - 7lb8)... He grew massive after that. He was an absolute puddin when he was younger. He he's 21 months now and whilst still in 99th percentile for weight and height he hasn't put on a whole lot of weight the past few months. You will find once they start moving around the weight just kind of evens out and they don't really put on a whole lot. At my sons 7 month check the PHNs scales only went to 10 or 11kg... And Tom couldn't be weighed on it coz he was too heavy!! But 14 months later he's only a few kg heavier than he was then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Dori, my son was in 99th percentile for weight and height his whole life (except the first 2 weeks he was born - 7lb8)... He grew massive after that. He was an absolute puddin when he was younger. He he's 21 months now and whilst still in 99th percentile for weight and height he hasn't put on a whole lot of weight the past few months. You will find once they start moving around the weight just kind of evens out and they don't really put on a whole lot. At my sons 7 month check the PHNs scales only went to 10 or 11kg... And Tom couldn't be weighed on it coz he was too heavy!! But 14 months later he's only a few kg heavier than he was then.

ha ha brilliant.

My 4 month old is 7.2 kg and my 2 yr old (27months ) is only 11.5 kg.
    Hes a lil pudge and shes a bag of bones . Eventhough she has a HUGE appetite.

Sligo1 I bet the same will happen to us with the scales at 7 month check!!! Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I hate to tell you but that's her age lol myself and my friend were talking about this a few months ago as there is only 2 days between our girls and it literally started the same week for both of them. We both have boys that never did this especially the screeching so the conversation was very much wtf is that all about lol mine is much better now that she is walking.

Aw I'm not having a good time of it at the mo, just after I typed this, I was at the sink doing the dishes and she came up to my feet and fell over. She chipped her front tooth quite badly, I'll have to bring her to the dentist now :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

we weighed him at 4.5 months right before we went on holidays - 19.5lbs !! he didnt fit into any of his 3-6 month holiday clothes or swim nappies lol! Now he doesnt look massively fat thankfully people 'kindly' comment that hes well fed! (also the buggy brings out his double chin!) but hes also very long too, over 90th percentile for everything so Im not too worried.

He was only 7lbs 13 when he was born and slim until circumstances meant I had to switch to bottle feeding. then he just had these massive growth spurts! Hes also very solid boy.

Hes also started being able to turn himself in a circle the last 2 weeks so im sure hell be moving soon enough. Hes just ALWAYS hungry! hes been on solids about 3ish weeks now, and he cries when the food is all gone and then when the bottles gone too :( he gets over it quick enough though when you take the bottle out of his sight.

I think Ill just be eaten out of house and home! :)

we weighed him at 4.5 months right before we went on holidays - 19.5lbs !! he didnt fit into any of his 3-6 month holiday clothes or swim nappies lol! Now he doesnt look massively fat thankfully people 'kindly' comment that hes well fed! (also the buggy brings out his double chin!) but hes also very long too, over 90th percentile for everything so Im not too worried.

He was only 7lbs 13 when he was born and slim until circumstances meant I had to switch to bottle feeding. then he just had these massive growth spurts! Hes also very solid boy.

Hes also started being able to turn himself in a circle the last 2 weeks so im sure hell be moving soon enough. Hes just ALWAYS hungry! hes been on solids about 3ish weeks now, and he cries when the food is all gone and then when the bottles gone too :( he gets over it quick enough though when you take the bottle out of his sight.

I think Ill just be eaten out of house and home! :)

I honestly don't think my baby looks fat, I had to listen to the Granny telling mè how "buxom" he was lol lol oh and he is a "hefty fellow"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My chubby little girl was 10kg at her 9 month check up. She started crawling a few days after that and was 10kg at her 12 month checkup. She started walking at 14 months and was still 10kg at her 15 month checkup. She's now 2 years 8 months and weighs 14kg.
    As soon as they start moving around all that gorgeous baby chubbiness disappears :)

Compared to all the tiny Spanish babies, she looked huge :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My first was 20lb 5oz at 5 months and is 30 pounds now at 2! As soon as she started on solids her weight gain almost stopped: she started gaining 4/5 ounces a month. She was super chubby though! S is 14lb 4oz at 5 months: she's taller too :)

My fella had 3 chins when he was a few months old! Lol.... We called him the little Buddha :)

In fairness now my babies leg have a good few rolls on them!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Wow, our almost 7 month old still only weighs 13 pounds :eek: (but his birth weight was only 6 pound and a bit, so he's doubled his weight in 7 months, so im not too worried :o

Xdancer, our toddler was exactly the same, kept the weight constant when he started moving around, he still only weighs in at 15 kg at 2 years 8 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Can anyone recommend decent bibs for tots? Bought a load of bandana ones in Mothercare and my little boy of 2 + 4 has a habit of chewing on his bib and I'd prefer wider and broader ones for him. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Ladies, may I have opinions please.

Saoirse is 13 months very soon, and I have yet to be away from her for more than 2 hours, and even at that, all added up, I have been away from her less that 6 in her little life.

This weekend, her 5yo brother is heading to his nana's for his holidays before back to school as his aunt is over from London too for a few days and wants to spend time with him. Anyway, they want to bring little miss too. Now I need a few days to myself, I know I do, but a few things.

1 - She will be going to a new house, or at least one she has only been to less than a handful of times in her life.

2 - She hates cars and will have to be in one for over an hour after a 3 hour train journey.

3 - She only met her aunt 3 times in her life, once was only for 30 minutes.

4 - She has only met her nan a few times for a more than an hour if you understand. I mean her nan comes to Dublin and she sees her for 2 hours about once a month, but overall, she has stayed in her company for a prolonged period of time only 4 times in 13 months.

5 - Aunty is 50, nana is 72. Aunty never had kids, though she would be okay with her and I would trust her more than most everyone else, I am unsure if she is able to deal with her and her very active brother for 5 days, same with nana, though nana and brother get on so well I know they be fine.

She will have her brother, so he is something that will remain the same, and she adores him, I can write out her routine, so that doesn't really bother me.

Am I just being over clingy (as I assume a year in each others constant company causes) or is there too many reasons to allow it.

They are getting upset I am unsure, as though it is because I am controlling, but I dunno, needless to say, partner (like a lot of men) has no opinion.

wolfpawnat wrote: »

Saoirse is 13 months very soon, and I have yet to be away from her for more than 2 hours, and even at that, all added up, I have been away from her less that 6 in her little life.

This weekend, her 5yo brother is heading to his nana's for his holidays before back to school as his aunt is over from London too for a few days and wants to spend time with him. Anyway, they want to bring little miss too. Now I need a few days to myself, I know I do, but a few things.

1 - She will be going to a new house, or at least one she has only been to less than a handful of times in her life.

2 - She hates cars and will have to be in one for over an hour after a 3 hour train journey.

4 - She has only met her nan a few times for a more than an hour if you understand. I mean her nan comes to Dublin and she sees her for 2 hours about once a month, but overall, she has stayed in her company for a prolonged period of time only 4 times in 13 months.

5 - Aunty is 50, nana is 72. Aunty never had kids, though she would be okay with her and I would trust her more than most everyone else, I am unsure if she is able to deal with her and her very active brother for 5 days, same with nana, though nana and brother get on so well I know they be fine.

She will have her brother, so he is something that will remain the same, and she adores him, I can write out her routine, so that doesn't really bother me.

Am I just being over clingy (as I assume a year in each others constant company causes) or is there too many reasons to allow it.

They are getting upset I am unsure, as though it is because I am controlling, but I dunno, needless to say, partner (like a lot of men) has no opinion.

So is it for 5 days to sleep over in granny's house? Granny and aunty will have your 5 year old and baby? How is granny at 72?

Personally I think 5 days is too long. What about leaving them for one night?

EDIT: sorry I just read about all the travel.....why don't you get granny and aunt to sleep in your house for a sleepover and you and your husband go away for a night?

• Advertisement

I'd be inclined to say no! I say no to everyone taking mine except for my mam though lol it means I do miss out on free time and if it was just my son it would be fine but my lo is 15 months and I want her life to be as settled as possible until she is old enough for me to explain what's going to happen while I'm gone and how many nights I'll be gone etc

Millem wrote: »
    So is it for 5 days to sleep over in granny's house? Granny and aunty will have your 5 year old and baby? How is granny at 72?

Personally I think 5 days is too long. What about leaving them for one night?

EDIT: sorry I just read about all the travel.....why don't you get granny and aunt to sleep in your house for a sleepover and you and your husband go away for a night?

Not an option, nana refuses to stay in an apartment (don't ask) I know they'll be able for the 5yo, I am just unsure about the 13 month old as she has never been away from me before.

I'd be inclined to say no! I say no to everyone taking mine except for my mam though lol it means I do miss out on free time and if it was just my son it would be fine but my lo is 15 months and I want her life to be as settled as possible until she is old enough for me to explain what's going to happen while I'm gone and how many nights I'll be gone etc

Btw I'm not saying it's the right thing lol people roll eyes at me and call me a smother but I always go with my gut and try not to cave under pressure of other people when it comes to decisions about kids

Not an option, nana refuses to stay in an apartment (don't ask) I know they'll be able for the 5yo, I am just unsure about the 13 month old as she has never been away from me before.

Tbh I think it would hard work myself to mind a 5 year old and a 13 month old! Especially if you are not used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Merkin wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend decent bibs for tots? Bought a load of bandana ones in Mothercare and my little boy of 2 + 4 has a habit of chewing on his bib and I'd prefer wider and broader ones for him. Any recommendations?

Merkin I've been using these. They're fantastic. They've a double layer so they're more absorbant. My 2year old nephew uses the same ones so there's plenty of growing room in them.

A link would be handy eh?!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0081UG7NU?pc_redir=1407389139&robot_redir=1

If you're asking the question you're probably not comfortable with the idea. 5 days is a long time if you've never been away before. Could you not go too and leave them for one night or give them whole days together?

Tbh I think it would hard work myself to mind a 5 year old and a 13 month old! Especially if you are not used to it.

That's what I am thinking, I get the whole "sure what do you do all day, nothing, you're just rearing the kids" but yet as much as I would love to show her what that entails, I don't want the kids to suffer.
    kandr10 wrote: »
    If you're asking the question you're probably not comfortable with the idea. 5 days is a long time if you've never been away before. Could you not go too and leave them for one night or give them whole days together?

The big think is I am trying to distinguish if it is mama instinct making not want to leave her, or are my fears justified.

TBH I don't want to go, I have a very difficult relationship with my MIL at the best of times, but she goes into full on C mode with her daughter around, and rather than her daughter not getting involved or giving actually good advice, she agrees with her mother fully, leaving me slightly homicidal. That and I genuinely need a day or two to myself and if I were to go, they would give me 15 minutes before they would quit.

That's what I am thinking, I get the whole "sure what do you do all day, nothing, you're just rearing the kids" but yet as much as I would love to show her what that entails, I don't want the kids to suffer.

The big think is I am trying to distinguish if it is mama instinct making not want to leave her, or are my fears justified.

TBH I don't want to go, I have a very difficult relationship with my MIL at the best of times, but she goes into full on C mode with her daughter around, and rather than her daughter not getting involved or giving actually good advice, she agrees with her mother fully, leaving me slightly homicidal. That and I genuinely need a day or two to myself and if I were to go, they would give me 15 minutes before they would quit.

For some reason I thought granny was your mum!! I think 5 days is too long, if you really need some time I would either
    A) send them down for a night or two or
    B) hire a babysitter so you and your partner can go out for a few hours even just to the local pub, I bet it would do the world of difference :)

Doesn't matter why. If you're not comfortable you're not comfortable. You don't need a reason. Needing a break is one thing but 5 days is another having never left the little ones for near that time before.
    If you went and left for the day they'd have to cope no? Or could you go overnight in a b&b nearby so you don't have to stay with the mother in law? You can understand them wanting to spend time with the kids and unless your husband goes down with them leaving you a few days to yourself or you go down with them and try get a bit of space there's no real way round that.

• Advertisement

If your one is any good would you mind reporting back and I will order it? Thanks a mil :)

!

I received the mats ahead of schedule - they are grand - there is a slight whiff off of them but no more than I would expect from foam mats and even then I have to hold them to my nose to get the smell - they don't stink out the room or anything.
    This is the one I got - but I miscalculated and thought it was 3 square metres when it's actually 2 square metres. Having said that it fills a good bit of the floor, but my aim is to fill a whole room for him, so I think I'll be ordering another set.

You might be able to find the same set cheaper in shops - I am at a disadvantage living in Denmark where everything is ueber-expensive so I rely on amazon a lot...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TLCmat%C2%AE-Alphabet-Number-Puzzle-Storage/dp/B002NGDHLS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407845766&sr=8-2&keywords=playmat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

kandr10 wrote: »
    Merkin I've been using these. They're fantastic. They've a double layer so they're more absorbant. My 2year old nephew uses the same ones so there's plenty of growing room in them.

A link would be handy eh?!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0081UG7NU?pc_redir=1407389139&robot_redir=1

Oh they look lovely, exactly the type of thing I'm looking for, thank you!xx

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

I received the mats ahead of schedule - they are grand - there is a slight whiff off of them but no more than I would expect from foam mats and even then I have to hold them to my nose to get the smell - they don't stink out the room or anything.
    This is the one I got - but I miscalculated and thought it was 3 square metres when it's actually 2 square metres. Having said that it fills a good bit of the floor, but my aim is to fill a whole room for him, so I think I'll be ordering another set.

You might be able to find the same set cheaper in shops - I am at a disadvantage living in Denmark where everything is ueber-expensive so I rely on amazon a lot...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TLCmat%C2%AE-Alphabet-Number-Puzzle-Storage/dp/B002NGDHLS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1407845766&sr=8-2&keywords=playmat

I have these ones too. 10 months later they're still going strong and look as good as new. Only thing I did was remove the centre of some of the numbers and letters which were a bit small and maybe a choking hazard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Grrrrr!

Our seven-month-old boy is in a perfect brilliant routine, has been for several months.

He's in bed now, but all of a sudden, our (usually lovely friendly) neighbours have started drilling and banging and knocking on the walls - to be specific, his bedroom wall. And I mean, it's really loud!

He's wide awake now, and understandably cranky to be put out of his bedtime routine.

They have small kids themselves, I understand that they need to sort out the bedroom the other side of the wall. But they also know very well that we, too, have a small baby! (Who, for the record, makes no noise ever, really!) Couldn't they organise it for non-bedtime hours?

Grrrrr!

Our seven-month-old boy is in a perfect brilliant routine, has been for several months.

He's in bed now, but all of a sudden, our (usually lovely friendly) neighbours have started drilling and banging and knocking on the walls - to be specific, his bedroom wall. And I mean, it's really loud!

He's wide awake now, and understandably cranky to be put out of his bedtime routine.

They have small kids themselves, I understand that they need to sort out the bedroom the other side of the wall. But they also know very well that we, too, have a small baby! (Who, for the record, makes no noise ever, really!) Couldn't they organise it for non-bedtime hours?

that would annoy me too - totally out of order!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

I think 5 days is v long for a 13 month old. Like you said u can't explain to her where she's going, for how long and that you'll be back. There are so many reasons you can give if u feel u have to justify it ( you shouldn't but I've been there before where I haven't wanted to leave my child with family for as long as they wanted and have had to make many excuses). Say she's not sleeping thru the night at the moment and it would be far too tiring for them to have her for so long, u have a development check for her, ur going to use the time to do an activity with her u can't normally do eg baby swimming... It actually prob is a nice chance to spend one on one time with her that ur son would have had. I'm already wondering how I'll do things with baby 2 that I did with no 1!

• Advertisement

Julo12 wrote: »
    I think 5 days is v long for a 13 month old. Like you said u can't explain to her where she's going, for how long and that you'll be back. There are so many reasons you can give if u feel u have to justify it ( you shouldn't but I've been there before where I haven't wanted to leave my child with family for as long as they wanted and have had to make many excuses). Say she's not sleeping thru the night at the moment and it would be far too tiring for them to have her for so long, u have a development check for her, ur going to use the time to do an activity with her u can't normally do eg baby swimming... It actually prob is a nice chance to spend one on one time with her that ur son would have had. I'm already wondering how I'll do things with baby 2 that I did with no 1!

They refuse to listen, apparently I am being possessive of her (eh, she's my daughter, of course I am possessive) and are giving it the whole "Oh well M came from London to see them, the money she spent, blah blah." It was supposed to only be for 2 nights, which is fine, but since my MIL will not listen to anyone, rather than collecting them Sunday (I am going to Cork for 2 days then) she is demanding them Friday. It's a fricken pain, I feel like I have to cancel the one chance I have to see people in well over 18 months!

I have had loads of one on one with her as her brother was in school last year and he was in his nan's a lot this summer (nigh on 3 weeks already)

I dunno, it's all so bloody annoying, and as usual, there is no talking to himself about it.

They refuse to listen, apparently I am being possessive of her (eh, she's my daughter, of course I am possessive) and are giving it the whole "Oh well M came from London to see them, the money she spent, blah blah." It was supposed to only be for 2 nights, which is fine, but since my MIL will not listen to anyone, rather than collecting them Sunday (I am going to Cork for 2 days then) she is demanding them Friday. It's a fricken pain, I feel like I have to cancel the one chance I have to see people in well over 18 months!

I have had loads of one on one with her as her brother was in school last year and he was in his nan's a lot this summer (nigh on 3 weeks already)

I dunno, it's all so bloody annoying, and as usual, there is no talking to himself about it.

That's so unreasonable of them! Sure 2 days would be grand and presumably you're gonna be in their direction then anyway. It's not normal to be so uncompromising. Would you be happy to leave your daughter for the 2 days? If so pushing that would be your best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

So tired this morning. My poor bubs woke during the night with a high temperature that wouldn't go down. Ended up in south doc. Poor little thing has an ear infection. She's on her first lot of antibiotics :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Roesy wrote: »
    So tired this morning. My poor bubs woke during the night with a high temperature that wouldn't go down. Ended up in south doc. Poor little thing has an ear infection. She's on her first lot of antibiotics :(

Ah the poor little thing, and poor mammy :( Hopefully the anti-b's kick in quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Hi all,

Any idea on what kind of weight gain you should be looking for week to week? Our baby has been doing quite well but in the past week (his third since been born) only gained 3oz (80 grams). Would that be considered low?

• Advertisement

Roesy wrote: »

Ah poor thing. Hope she feels better soon .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi all,

Any idea on what kind of weight gain you should be looking for week to week? Our baby has been doing quite well but in the past week (his third since been born) only gained 3oz (80 grams). Would that be considered low?

Baby would normally have regained their birth weight by the end of their second week- and thereafter 5-7 ounces a week (from 3 weeks on) is probably normal. At around 3 weeks- there is normally a growth spurt- where their consumption and body weight- shoots up.

If you're concerned at all- discuss it with the PHN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

They were selling these in my local dunnes for €10, they were in the kids clothing section. Not sure what size they are though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I would struggle with a night to be honest - for the sake of my relationship with my lovely hubbie I would go for one but not more than that - my kids are 2 & 1/2 and 15 months. Even If I knew they would be minded Well I wouldn't be comfortable with it - if be pining the whole time! Also if the nana is 72 and the aunt hasn't had kids they really might have no clue what they getting themselves into and my heart would break thinking about how confused the 13 month old might be. I know I am protective but I don't care and am happy to be called that - I just couldn't imagine it and really think ur OH should understand... I do think time to urself is important tho but maybe try get and afternoon and evening and maybe arrange to get out urself whilst they with Himself for a few hours every now and again? At the end of the day it's whatever ur comfortable urself - but don't let urself be pushed into it cos the mammy guilt is shocking - I get it just for having to go to work each day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Hi all,

My little one is three weeks old today. At 5 days she was back to birth weight. At 13 days she had gained 160g, then yesterday at 20 days she had gained another 140g. PHN said 150g per week is average. So 80g is on the low side but it's still early days and it depends how much weight was lost and regained initially. I would think it would be best to get her weighed again next week and ask the PHN their opinion then. But if baby is eating well and having plenty of wet and dirty nappies everything is most likely fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Went shopping today for some new jeans for myself. Somehow, instead of anything for me, I came home with 1 pair of shoes, 2 hats, a t-shirt and a backpack for S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Hi all,

You can tie yourself up in knots stressing about weight gain but it's best to look to the baby and not the scales unless there's a specific reason to worry. If he's alert, content, the fontenelle isn't sunken and has lots of wet nappies he's doing fine. Babies are individuals too and some are petite, some average and others put on lots of weight.

iguana wrote: »
    Went shopping today for some new jeans for myself. Somehow, instead of anything for me, I came home with 1 pair of shoes, 2 hats, a t-shirt and a backpack for S.

Everytime I go out shopping I come back with stuff for the kids and zilch for me! I can't remember the last time I bought myself anything... Well over a year ago id say. Ud wanna see the state of my jeans... Holes in the knees... The ones that aren't manufactured to actually be there. Lol. They're there from kneeling on the rug playing with the kids... O well maybe I can rock the "worn" look for a little longer :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

iguana wrote: »

LOL I'm terrible for doing that! It's so much easier to buy stuff for him, he looks great in everything ... can't say the same for myself! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Has anyone bought or used a baby beanbag? I'm thinking of picking one up for the new baby but for the price of it, I'd want to know that I'll get good use out of it. We already have a tiny love rocker, our first fella loved it when he was a newborn, so I don't know if there would be much point in the beanbag but I love how they look and babies look so comfy and snug in them :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement