Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Has anyone any ideas on how to keep a 6 month old entertained? He is very active and mad for road but he's kinda at an in between stage because he can't sit up by himself yet. He has loads of toys which he loves playing with and he likes rolling around on his play mat but he gets bored easily. He loves the jumperoo too but I'm wary of leaving him in it too long. He loves being sat up but he has outgrown his Bumbo and when I sit him into the boppy pillow, he loves it but as soon as he starts moving, he slides back down on his back and goes mad :( The last week he has gotten more vocal about wanting to be kept constantly amused and it's driving me a bit gaga :o I reckon once he's able to sit up himself he won't be half as bad but at the moment, I think he's really frustrated at not being able to do it himself. Help!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

The Merkins are back in action , woooohoooo!!! \o/ Just had some rather lush afternoon nookie with hubby and it's just great being intimate again. :) I didn't feel at all sexy towards the end of my pregnancy and he wasn't keen either so it's just amazing to be back doing what we enjoy! I adore motherhood and love our little boy but it's easy to lose sight in the days post partum of ones own sexuality and attractiveness and am so happy we haven't lost any of that......need to make up for lost time now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Has anyone any ideas on how to keep a 6 month old entertained? He is very active and mad for road but he's kinda at an in between stage because he can't sit up by himself yet. He has loads of toys which he loves playing with and he likes rolling around on his play mat but he gets bored easily. He loves the jumperoo too but I'm wary of leaving him in it too long. He loves being sat up but he has outgrown his Bumbo and when I sit him into the boppy pillow, he loves it but as soon as he starts moving, he slides back down on his back and goes mad :( The last week he has gotten more vocal about wanting to be kept constantly amused and it's driving me a bit gaga :o I reckon once he's able to sit up himself he won't be half as bad but at the moment, I think he's really frustrated at not being able to do it himself. Help!!

We're having the same problem at the moment with our 7 month old! The bouncer used to be great but he's outgrown it now, and has pretty much outgrown the Bumbo too. He's happy in his Graco Entertainer yoke (similar-ish to Jumperoo) but only for short periods. Otherwise he's usually in his travel cot (which we have in the sitting room), or on a padded floor mat, or in his high chair (he likes sitting up there and supervising us while we're making dinner etc. :D )

The travel cot is actually great, we often throw a load of big cushions and toys in there so that he's able to sort of climb around and it gives him support if he wants to sit up, but he has room to lie down too. We're also planning on buying a load of balls to make it into a little ball pool for him - however I can see that being a bit of a disaster when he gets older and starts firing them around all over the place. :eek:

Might be worth trying out a sling/carrier, if you don't have one? Some people swear by it, but it's not for everyone ... it didn't suit us at all really. But a lot of parents would constantly carry babies in one around the house (a good-quality well-fitting one will be quite comfortable and will spread the weight evenly), you can carry babies on your back or your front. Apparently it keeps them very well entertained. The good ones are quite expensive, however there are sling libraries where you can hire them for a couple of weeks to see if it suits you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

We're having the same problem at the moment with our 7 month old! The bouncer used to be great but he's outgrown it now, and has pretty much outgrown the Bumbo too. He's happy in his Graco Entertainer yoke (similar-ish to Jumperoo) but only for short periods. Otherwise he's usually in his travel cot (which we have in the sitting room), or on a padded floor mat, or in his high chair (he likes sitting up there and supervising us while we're making dinner etc. :D )

The travel cot is actually great, we often throw a load of big cushions and toys in there so that he's able to sort of climb around and it gives him support if he wants to sit up, but he has room to lie down too. We're also planning on buying a load of balls to make it into a little ball pool for him - however I can see that being a bit of a disaster when he gets older and starts firing them around all over the place. :eek:

Might be worth trying out a sling/carrier, if you don't have one? Some people swear by it, but it's not for everyone ... it didn't suit us at all really. But a lot of parents would constantly carry babies in one around the house (a good-quality well-fitting one will be quite comfortable and will spread the weight evenly), you can carry babies on your back or your front. Apparently it keeps them very well entertained. The good ones are quite expensive, however there are sling libraries where you can hire them for a couple of weeks to see if it suits you.

+1 to the carrier. I found it a godsend during those days when she wasn't really mobile. I could just pop her in and do what needed to be done when she was done with the swing/entertainer/baby gym etc. I still get great use out of it, I find it handier than the buggy when we are out and about unless we are specifically going for a walk. I find it good if she's in fussy humour with her teeth or is sick. Most days I'll pop her in for the cranky 10 -15 minutes before her nap too. Try before you buy if you do consider it though.

We recently set up the travel cot to give us a safe place to put her if we needed to go to the bathroom/grab some clothes off the line if it was raining. She's not crazy about it even with toys in it but I suppose she's been roaming free for so long. Might try the ball pool suggestion Chattastrophe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

+1 on carrier!

I also used thd big long sausage style breastfeeding pillow I have and put her on the floor veside me on her playmat with that thing supporting her and a few extra cushions around in case she fell. She seemed happy to be able to practice sitting and reaching and picking up without being confined.

Love the ball pool idea. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one :D The carrier is great but I'm not able for it so he has to wait for daddy to come home from work to put him in it. We have a ball pit and he absolutely adores being in it but the walls of the pit are soft and no matter what I prop him up with, he slides down within minutes and cries to be sat up again :( I love the idea of the travel cot, I think if I filled it with the balls and threw a load of cushions in to make a little baby obstacle course, it just might work :D Just have to find a place to put the travel cot now..... I swore when I was pregnant that I wouldn't end up with a sittingroom full of baby stuff, slowly but surely the proper furniture is disappearing and being replaced by jumperoos and travel cots :eek:

I'm glad I'm not the only one :D The carrier is great but I'm not able for it so he has to wait for daddy to come home from work to put him in it. We have a ball pit and he absolutely adores being in it but the walls of the pit are soft and no matter what I prop him up with, he slides down within minutes and cries to be sat up again :( I love the idea of the travel cot, I think if I filled it with the balls and threw a load of cushions in to make a little baby obstacle course, it just might work :D Just have to find a place to put the travel cot now..... I swore when I was pregnant that I wouldn't end up with a sittingroom full of baby stuff, slowly but surely the proper furniture is disappearing and being replaced by jumperoos and travel cots :eek:

That doesn't last too long thankfully! She's 9.5 months and the swing, play mat/gym and the bouncer have been retired. The jumperoo will be next to go after she managed to climb/fall/jump out of it. Only have the travel cot and entertainer left now. Reckon the entertainer seat will be gone in the near future too. The toys are a different story though :)

What kind of entertainer seat have you got rosey?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Merkin wrote: »
    The Merkins are back in action , woooohoooo!!! \o/ Just had some rather lush afternoon nookie with hubby and it's just great being intimate again. :) I didn't feel at all sexy towards the end of my pregnancy and he wasn't keen either so it's just amazing to be back doing what we enjoy! I adore motherhood and love our little boy but it's easy to lose sight in the days post partum of ones own sexuality and attractiveness and am so happy we haven't lost any of that......need to make up for lost time now!!

Woohoo merkins lol!! Afternoon nookie no less. Jealous! May seriously start making an effort here. I may seduce mr. Lola tonight !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Had an interview on Tuesday, thought it went really well, the interviewer seemed very keen on my application, and couldn't help fantasising about handing in my notice but I didn't get it :( I'm gutted, thought this was my chance to get out of where I am now. Have to up the search tenfold now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

loubian wrote: »
    Had an interview on Tuesday, thought it went really well, the interviewer seemed very keen on my application, and couldn't help fantasising about handing in my notice but I didn't get it :( I'm gutted, thought this was my chance to get out of where I am now. Have to up the search tenfold now

That's a shame loubian - might be worth dropping them an email thanking them for the opportunity to interview and their consideration, etc, and asking for feedback on the interview so you can improve your skills etc etc. If another position comes up in the company, they might just remember you?

What kind of entertainer seat have you got rosey?

Like most of our baby stuff it's a loaner/hand me down :) It's a Leap Frog learn and groove activity station. She loved it. It doesn't hold half the attraction now that she's crawling and climbing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Closed the deal with a childminder today! Woohoo! Love her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Closed the deal with a childminder today! Woohoo! Love her!

Brill! Was it rollercoaster?

Millem wrote: »
    Brill! Was it rollercoaster?

No it actually wasn't it was gum tree. I think if I still had only one child I would be a little more fussy but because I'm more relaxed now with the 2 and not really caught up in the dangers of biscuits, fruit juice and too much tv anymore it was much easier lol she is very relaxed and pretty much on the same page as me so I'm super comfortable about the whole thing. Her outdoor and indoor space for the kids is amazing so I think they will be happy there! Delighted!

• Advertisement

No it actually wasn't it was gum tree. I think if I still had only one child I would be a little more fussy but because I'm more relaxed now with the 2 and not really caught up in the dangers of biscuits, fruit juice and too much tv anymore it was much easier lol she is very relaxed and pretty much on the same page as me so I'm super comfortable about the whole thing. Her outdoor and indoor space for the kids is amazing so I think they will be happy there! Delighted!

Ah yeah I think you just have get a gut feeling! My car seats arrived and I swear I feel like crying :( I can't get stupid tether straps off it. I hope to god I am just being stupid and that I don't have to send it back :mad:
    Waiting for my OH to come home to try and press the "press" button.

Ah yeah I think you just have get a gut feeling! My car seats arrived and I swear I feel like crying :( I can't get stupid tether straps off it. I hope to god I am just being stupid and that I don't have to send it back :mad:

This "press" buttons break my heart. My own is a tobi and that's fine but my mam has a britax and I just cannot do it! It's enough to send you into a blind rage lol

This "press" buttons break my heart. My own is a tobi and that's fine but my mam has a britax and I just cannot do it! It's enough to send you into a blind rage lol

Seriously I am so annoyed with it :( I spent ages cleaning my car today for this stupid car seat :(why do the make baby things sooooo annoying and complicated :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

This reminds me of the first time i went to town on my own with my daughter after she was born. (now 2.5) .
    Anyway took buggy oout of boot, attatched car seat and headed in to look around the shops. all was fine she was quite and content. then once i was sorted headed back to the car. and do you think i could detatch the car seat from the buggy. I was in a bit of a state trying to do it. even woke baba. had to take her out calm her down. popped her back in . i even googled it. another lady came over to help but we couldnt do it so i abandoned the car and walked off down town to calm down (was in tears with frustration, tiredness and being totally embarrassed ).
    Met OH at the car a while later and he just popped it off no problem.
    I couldnt get the knack of it for ages so used to walk to town alot or if i was just nipping in quick id carry the car seat. Luckily she was so light.

Suucee wrote: »
    This reminds me of the first time i went to town on my own with my daughter after she was born. (now 2.5) .
    Anyway took buggy oout of boot, attatched car seat and headed in to look around the shops. all was fine she was quite and content. then once i was sorted headed back to the car. and do you think i could detatch the car seat from the buggy. I was in a bit of a state trying to do it. even woke baba. had to take her out calm her down. popped her back in . i even googled it. another lady came over to help but we couldnt do it so i abandoned the car and walked off down town to calm down (was in tears with frustration, tiredness and being totally embarrassed ).
    Met OH at the car a while later and he just popped it off no problem.
    I couldnt get the knack of it for ages so used to walk to town alot or if i was just nipping in quick id carry the car seat. Luckily she was so light.

Oh stop! I had a similar experience except with stupid car seat adapters :mad:
    Actually it happened twice. I was so crazy/upset/tired that a worker from tony kealys Came to my house to sort it!!! I think I told him I was going to throw car seat in the wheely bin :eek::eek: it was in the exclusively expressing days that were pretty much a blur!!!

I am after putting the stupid car seat away and just looked at manual that is in 4 languages non of which are english :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Omg I am soooo embarrassed for myself! OH just walked in, pressed the button and it came out, not a bother!!!!!
    Crisis averted!

Omg I am soooo embarrassed for myself! OH just walked in, pressed the button and it came out, not a bother!!!!!
    Crisis averted!

Yep that sounds familiar. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I didnt leave the house on my own for the first 5 months after baba number one was born! All because if those fecking carseats and adaptors and sh*te! So you guys did well in comparison. Depressed Wasnt the word!

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I didnt leave the house on my own for the first 5 months after baba number one was born! All because if those fecking carseats and adaptors and sh*te! So you guys did well in comparison. Depressed Wasnt the word!

I am so happy that it is nighttime because I would of rang the shop and told them that the car seat was faulty!!!! My thumb is sore from all of the pressing the "press" button!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Quick question,I have a Moses basket and crib so have to just buy the mattresses, so out shopping but why are they so flimsy foam ones? Is there a reason why you cannot get a sprung mattress for them? And if you can where??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Quick question,I have a Moses basket and crib so have to just buy the mattresses, so out shopping but why are they so flimsy foam ones? Is there a reason why you cannot get a sprung mattress for them? And if you can where??

Would you not just skip the moses basket and crib, and put the baby into a proper cot with a good quality pocket sprung mattress?

Our boy has positional plagiocephaly, I'm pretty sure his Moses basket and the thin mattress didn't help at all. Next time around, I'd definitely be putting the baby straight into the cot, with a good mattress. Can't see any reason at all why not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I ordered a special thicker mattress, I'll try and dig out the site (I had to order it special because the basket was a weird shape.

We went with a Moses basket for the first few months, because I wanted him in our room with us and the room was too small to fit the cot into.

I am pretty sure the max thickness for Moses basket is 5cm. Baby elegance Moses basket mattress are 5cm. They are €15. Most of the ones in shops are 2cm thickness!
    I think the baby shop in drogheda that sells the baby elegance mattress, if not smyths have them.

I wouldn't bother a Moses basket of I had a crib tbh.

I have the Moses for the living room and the crib for my bedroom, they were my mothers,so owe me nothing, and I found not carrying the Moses upstairs on my first great.
    I don't have room for the cot in my bedroom so that's not an option. is there a reason they make them so thin? Would love that website ivy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

When my daughter was that age we put a blanket on the floor and cushions all around her for when she fell over/sideways/backwards and gave her loads of toys to reach out for and play with. She loved being propped up and looking around at everything

• Advertisement

I have the Moses for the living room and the crib for my bedroom, they were my mothers,so owe me nothing, and I found not carrying the Moses upstairs on my first great.
    I don't have room for the cot in my bedroom so that's not an option. is there a reason they make them so thin? Would love that website ivy!

Yes there is some regulation!
    I thought I was going to have to get one made to measure and contacted these guys.http://babymattressesonline.co.uk

Thanks Millem going to look into it, ps what baby shop are you talking about in Drogheda?

Thanks Millem going to look into it, ps what baby shop are you talking about in Drogheda?

I have never been to it but mum went looking at getting a cot last year. It is in the town :confused: she calls it elegant baby but that might be because she saw baby elegance stuff in it! I wasn't paying much attention but then I think my sis said it is not elegant baby as that closed down :confused:

All I know it exists and is in the actual town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Yes there is some regulation!
    I thought I was going to have to get one made to measure and contacted these guys.http://babymattressesonline.co.uk
    That's the site I used! I was very pleased with it.

I am pretty sure the max thickness for Moses basket is 5cm. Baby elegance Moses basket mattress are 5cm. They are €15. Most of the ones in shops are 2cm thickness!
    I think the baby shop in drogheda that sells the baby elegance mattress, if not smyths have them.

I wouldn't bother a Moses basket of I had a crib tbh.

There's a baby elegance shop in dundrum aswell. Id say they prob have the mattresses.

There's a baby elegance shop in dundrum aswell. Id say they prob have the mattresses.

Yes there is! And it has moved to the new shopping centre :)but haven't been in it yet. I would say Bella baby's and mamas and papas business will be hit.

Yes there is! And it has moved to the new shopping centre :)but haven't been in it yet. I would say Bella baby's and mamas and papas business will be hit.

O I didn't know it had moved to the big centre! Which floor?? I've never been in it either but have just seen it when I've been walking or driving down the Main Street. It used to be in that little outside shopping centre near lidl and dealz.

O I didn't know it had moved to the big centre! Which floor?? I've never been in it either but have just seen it when I've been walking or driving down the Main Street. It used to be in that little outside shopping centre near lidl and dealz.

Yes it was next door to my vets. I thought it was going to be near bella baby as mexx was closing down but apparently you know beside boots and Starbucks there is an exit to luas, well it's out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Well ladies I'm back from 5 days reading the fifty shades trilogy and utterly depressed I didn't want it to end........sigh!!

We should start a book club online lol share great reads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Well ladies I'm back from 5 days reading the fifty shades trilogy and utterly depressed I didn't want it to end........sigh!!

We should start a book club online lol share great reads

I wasnt too impressed tbh but had to continue reading them anyway.
    Ive just started reading game of thrones eventhough i watched it. So far its good though.

Suucee wrote: »
    I wasnt too impressed tbh but had to continue reading them anyway.
    Ive just started reading game of thrones eventhough i watched it. So far its good though.

I wasn't too keen either but felt I had to get through it so I skipped all the sex pages because the were all so samey lol .

I'm reading dawn o porter at the moment and it's taking me right back. Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Plan for the summer hols:

1. Have the youngest out of a cot and in a bed - fail

2. Have the youngest potty trained - epic fail

Im starting to wonder am I the problem. As soon as he's out of a cot and nappies I'll have no babies left!!

The eldest is off to senior infants next week...I wish the summer hols were 3 months not 2!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I put J back in nappies again for the time being too if that's any consolation Hannibal!!
    He's starting a new Montessori on Monday so I might give it a month for him to settle in & try again, second times the charm hopefully:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Anyone sign up to Amazon family for nappies? They say 20% off nappies if you do, but can't see prices quoted anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Anyone sign up to Amazon family for nappies? They say 20% off nappies if you do, but can't see prices quoted anywhere?

You sign up to family subscription and schedule a monthly delivery for whatever you want on a regular basis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Plan for the summer hols:

1. Have the youngest out of a cot and in a bed - fail

2. Have the youngest potty trained - epic fail

Im starting to wonder am I the problem. As soon as he's out of a cot and nappies I'll have no babies left!!

The eldest is off to senior infants next week...I wish the summer hols were 3 months not 2!!!

We started getting our 2 used to potties before they could crawl. Eldest (almost 4) is out of nappies in the daytime a year and we're working on night time the last month. He was getting the majority of dry nights with nappies and has the odd accident at night now. We had tried earlier in the summer but it was too soon.
    Baby is 9 months.

You sign up to family subscription and schedule a monthly delivery for whatever you want on a regular basis.

And do you get the 20% each time? That sounds good ..must check it out!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

kandr10 wrote: »
    And do you get the 20% each time? That sounds good ..must check it out!

Also covers coffee and some other necessaries :D

Also covers coffee and some other necessaries :D

Better again! Nappies and coffee- they know their audience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I put J back in nappies again for the time being too if that's any consolation Hannibal!!
    He's starting a new Montessori on Monday so I might give it a month for him to settle in & try again, second times the charm hopefully:cool:

Yes! It helps greatly! Good on ya J! Pee like the wind...Please don't let my lad be the only one at his 18th birthday still wearing nappies! ! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement