Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

My little one has 1 2 hour nap. I just pushed the morning one out to afternoon. Yes drinking sponge was a big one for both of mine. Started cleaning the bath and bath toys with Milton to make sure it wasn't too yucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

galah wrote: »
    its not just velocity, also distance travelled can be quite amazing. Our son managed to wee on the fireplace from the couch when he was quite young, and I didn't even think to stop him as I just watched in amazement at the distance (a good meter and a bit :eek:) :)

My son weed on his face as a newborn and I did the same lol it starts further back but as the stream got shorter and shorter it finished on his face lol

Edit: when I say I did the same I don't mean I also weed on my face. I also stood and watched in amazement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Both of mine dropped to 1 nap a day from around 12/13 months. A goes down around 11 and could sleep for 1-3 hours

Drinking bath water is the least of my worries. Yesterday i caught both of them drinking from the fish pond. Yuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sweet Rose

I bring my 13 month old to music classes every week. The other children vary in age from babies up to 3 years olds and they have free reign over the place, meaning they can move about as they please. My daughter can bum shuffle and moves about as she pleases. Yesterday, 3 different children came up to her and hurt her. One little girl tried to put her hand into her mouth and bite my daughter. The other 2 little boys were pushing and poking at her. The annoying thing was the parents didn't exactly rush over and reprimand their children. I stay in close proximity to my daughter and had to stop them from hurting her.
    One of the little boys seems like the playground bully type thing. I'm not sure what to do. The last term I brought my daughter, the group of children were so much nicer and more gentle. The group this time seems more rowdy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

At what age did ye stop sterilising. L is 6 months. Having 3 bottles a day. Sometimes when he's on his tummy licking the floor i wonder why im bothering to sterilise. I was thinking of chucking them in the dishwasher (thats fairly hot) but what would i do with soothers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Suucee wrote: »
    At what age did ye stop sterilising. L is 6 months. Having 3 bottles a day. Sometimes when he's on his tummy licking the floor i wonder why im bothering to sterilise. I was thinking of chucking them in the dishwasher (thats fairly hot) but what would i do with soothers.

For soothers, we often just stick a few in a mug of boiling water.

We're still sterilising for our nine month old but starting to feel it's a bit pointless now that he's crawling. Will probably cut down soon to doing it just once a week. The guidelines say to do it until they're a year, but guidelines in other countries say only 3 months or 6 months. He's been in creche since July anyways so his immune system is well built up!

I've often wondered. Why don't they just put vitamin d in the formula, instead of having the drops separate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I've often wondered. Why don't they just put vitamin d in the formula, instead of having the drops separate?

Indigo I am sure I got an email maybe a month ago saying we don't need to give the drops anymore as our babies were 8 months? It was either fron aptimal or sma. Hse recommend till 12 months I think? Tbh I am a bit worried about hypervitaminosis!

Hmm I was always told 12 months by the PHNs ... I'd say there's enough in the bottle to do him another couple of months anyways, so I'll keep it up till it runs out!

Hmm I was always told 12 months by the PHNs ... I'd say there's enough in the bottle to do him another couple of months anyways, so I'll keep it up till it runs out!

Yes I still have loads in bottle too! I think different countries have different guidelines! There are days where I forgot to give it! So I leave it beside nappies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Was always told 12 months. She's nearly 11 months and there's a bit left in the bottle so I'll continue until then.

I just checked nhs website and they say formula is fortified with vit d but if baby drinks less than 500ml per day they need a supplement. I will still use them till bottle goes though all the same. I just hope he isn't overdosing in vit d!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Here in France, I think you give it til they are 3, then til they are 5 you just give it to them in the winter.
    I don't mind giving the drops to L because he has very pale skin so even though we spend a lot of time outside, he's always very well covered, between clothes, hats and Factor 50!

Wow I'm surprised they advise to give it for longer over there, when chances are the kids are going to get more Vitamin D in the sun anyways! Must really look into it more. I'd continue giving it past one if I thought he'd get benefit from it.

I've seen multivitamins for toddlers as well, anyone think they're worth buying? For now he's a brilliant eater, but I'm sure he'll go through phases of fussy eating in the next couple of years, so I'm thinking it mightn't be a bad idea to start giving him multivitamins when we stop with the formula in a couple of months. I've no intention of being the kind of parent to beg and plead him to eat if he doesn't want to, but at the same time, I've a feeling it'll be easier to take a step back and allow him to have his fussy phases if I know he's at least getting his RDA of vitamins through the supplements!

Millem I've never heard of hypervitaminosis in babies/toddlers, only in adults, I'm sure it's something we'd be warned about by PHNs etc if it were a common problem?

Wow I'm surprised they advise to give it for longer over there, when chances are the kids are going to get more Vitamin D in the sun anyways! Must really look into it more. I'd continue giving it past one if I thought he'd get benefit from it.

I've seen multivitamins for toddlers as well, anyone think they're worth buying? For now he's a brilliant eater, but I'm sure he'll go through phases of fussy eating in the next couple of years, so I'm thinking it mightn't be a bad idea to start giving him multivitamins when we stop with the formula in a couple of months. I've no intention of being the kind of parent to beg and plead him to eat if he doesn't want to, but at the same time, I've a feeling it'll be easier to take a step back and allow him to have his fussy phases if I know he's at least getting his RDA of vitamins through the supplements!

Millem I've never heard of hypervitaminosis in babies/toddlers, only in adults, I'm sure it's something we'd be warned about by PHNs etc if it were a common problem?

Just looked over my emails and it was from sma! (I am guessing it is uk) Your baby is 8months old blah blah blah, then a message from their nutritionist "anne sidnell" saying "the dept of health recommends that all children from 6 months to 5 years old are given supplements, in the form of drops, which contain vitamins a, c, d. If your child is having 500ml of formula each day, they will not need the drops".
    I then checked the back of my actimal and sure enough 500ml would provide 100% of vit d. I said it to mum who then said they didn't use drops in her day?? I will still use the drops anyway.
    She does talk about how important iron is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Here in Spain vitamin d is given until 12 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Millem wrote: »
    Just looked over my emails and it was from sma! (I am guessing it is uk) Your baby is 8months old blah blah blah, then a message from their nutritionist "anne sidnell" saying "the dept of health recommends that all children from 6 months to 5 years old are given supplements, in the form of drops, which contain vitamins a, c, d. If your child is having 500ml of formula each day, they will not need the drops".
    I then checked the back of my actimal and sure enough 500ml would provide 100% of vit d. I said it to mum who then said they didn't use drops in her day?? I will still use the drops anyway.
    She does talk about how important iron is though.

It's actually very interesting that once a baby gets over 14oz formula per day they are getting the 5mcg of Vitamin D. I never even read the nutritional contents of the aptamil until I saw this thread. So presuming that most babies exceed this amount within a few weeks of birth really we are double dosing them. Though thats the official advice from the HSE.

My baby is getting 27oz so nearly 10mcg from formula then another 5mcg in drop form (when I remember it)!

It does say on HSE site that adverse effects can kick in at 5 times the recommended amount so if babies were taking say 9 oz bottles five times daily plus drops they would be getting close..........hmmmmmm. I'm going to have to look into this further.......

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    It's actually very interesting that once a baby gets over 14oz formula per day they are getting the 5mcg of Vitamin D. I never even read the nutritional contents of the aptamil until I saw this thread. So presuming that most babies exceed this amount within a few weeks of birth really we are double dosing them. Though thats the official advice from the HSE.

My baby is getting 27oz so nearly 10mcg from formula then another 5mcg in drop form (when I remember it)!

It does say on HSE site that adverse effects can kick in at 5 times the recommended amount so if babies were taking say 9 oz bottles five times daily plus drops they would be getting close..........hmmmmmm. I'm going to have to look into this further.......

My baby was getting 5 9oz bottles and those drops :eek::eek: some days more!!!

Millem wrote: »
    My baby was getting 5 9oz bottles and those drops :eek::eek: some days more!!!

Sorry if I'm frightening anyone! Straight back to check my sources and calculations!

• Advertisement

http://www.hse.ie/vitamind/

It says harmful effects may begin at levels that are 5 times the recommended amount I.e. upwards of 25mcg. Aptamil 1 which I'm using has 1.2mcg per 100ml prepared formula. So in addition to the drops another 20mcg from formula would require 1666ml or 55oz.

I can't understand how HSE are advocating these drops for formula fed babies past maybe 1 month as they clearly aren't necessary? And for older babies they are way in excess of requirements.

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm frightening anyone! Straight back to check my sources and calculations!

No ocean blue you are right!! So this is what I have worked out, 45oz is 1350ml. There is 1.4micrograms per 100ml (in my number 2 milk!) so that is 18.9 plus the drops of 5 which comes to 23.9micrgrams very close to the 25!!!
    It said though that baby would have nausea which mine never had! So I am sure he is fine :)
    I am not buying another bother though, as I am sure his breakfast cereal is fortified with it too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

keep forgetting to give baby the poxy vitamin d drops :o but we go outside a good bit, so i hope he gets enough vit d that way.

toddler is currently getting some vitamins and iron as he went through a phase of only eating pasta and toast, and he was quite pale and constantly tired, so i figured a bit of extra vitamins wont hurt. seems to have helped a bit, and his diet has changed to eating everything again as well.

My lil mam went through a phase of puking up his 11 am bottle every day (this was when he had the drops) so gp recommended giving them every few days instead.

I dont give mt toddler any vitamins at the moment. Last year though she went through a few months of ear/throat infections and wasnt eating great so we had her on a tonic for a while .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Naturally the morning I have work my little one decides to have a lie in!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Oh god I've been so lax at giving the drops...there's still a good third of bottle left and she's nearly one..eek no one tell the phn!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

ah I stopped with the drops around 5 months, and before that we were periodic about giving them to him. hes doing grand, in fact he is hanging from the ceiling most days lol!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds it a pain in the arse to remember to give them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

We're not the best at remembering either. To be fair, there were 7 of us kids in my family and it's far from vitamin D drops we were raised! We turned out OK ;)

ok so my LO has been up every night screaming and crying since friday. before that he was a great sleeper. we ruled out teething, no temperature, seems otherwise ok. We tried cry it out, the super nanny method which we had done before with great success to no avail. no amount of calpol or bongela has worked with him

he was awake from 10:30 last night with only a few minutes of sleep here and there until 7am when I decided we might as well go downstairs and have breakfast. now during the day he is in pretty good form- a little tantrumy but that is to be expected as he isnt sleeping.
    I called my PHN and she told me it sounds like something with his ears, maybe even a preforated ear drum and to take him into the docs. I am at work and can't leave so I am having my MIL take him and called the doctor and was telling him the symptoms as my MIL said she is scared she would forget something.

The doctor was so dismissive telling me it was night terrors and he's sure he is fine and I shouldnt be concerned. I was like so night terrors are keeping him up all night long? every time he lays down he screams? I don;t think so. My mom gut its telling me something isn't right and im so so annoyed with the doctor. I wish I was there. :mad::mad::mad:

Fingers crossed I get some answers today at least. I'm absolutely exhausted as is my husband and the LO must be shattered as well.

What age is he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My son got really bad night terrors and they never kept him awake all night. In my experience night terrors are a very distinct kind of distress in that they happen within a couple of hours of bedtime but they don't continue all night. I'd go with your gut instinct as you know your child best. Can you go to another gp for a second opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Rachineire wrote: »
    ok so my LO has been up every night screaming and crying since friday. before that he was a great sleeper. we ruled out teething, no temperature, seems otherwise ok. We tried cry it out, the super nanny method which we had done before with great success to no avail. no amount of calpol or bongela has worked with him

he was awake from 10:30 last night with only a few minutes of sleep here and there until 7am when I decided we might as well go downstairs and have breakfast. now during the day he is in pretty good form- a little tantrumy but that is to be expected as he isnt sleeping.
    I called my PHN and she told me it sounds like something with his ears, maybe even a preforated ear drum and to take him into the docs. I am at work and can't leave so I am having my MIL take him and called the doctor and was telling him the symptoms as my MIL said she is scared she would forget something.

The doctor was so dismissive telling me it was night terrors and he's sure he is fine and I shouldnt be concerned. I was like so night terrors are keeping him up all night long? every time he lays down he screams? I don;t think so. My mom gut its telling me something isn't right and im so so annoyed with the doctor. I wish I was there. :mad::mad::mad:

Fingers crossed I get some answers today at least. I'm absolutely exhausted as is my husband and the LO must be shattered as well.

If it is every time he lies down it could be his ears alright, seemingly if they have sore ears and lie down flat the blood circulation to the head can cause a lot of pain to them.

What age is he?

he is 21 months.

its definitely not night terrors. he is completely awake.

the doctor fobbed off my MIL with the night terrors malarky. im so angry. I even called him back and he gave me the first time mother line.
    I think i will take him to the late night doctor.

The doctor was saying to me I shouldn't leave him in his cot all night to cry- which I don't! in fact ive tried taking him in our bed, holding him in his room, taking him downstairs......no change!

my inner momma bear is rearing her head.....grr!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Rachineire wrote: »
    he is 21 months.

its definitely not night terrors. he is completely awake.

the doctor fobbed off my MIL with the night terrors malarky. im so angry. I even called him back and he gave me the first time mother line.
    I think i will take him to the late night doctor.

The doctor was saying to me I shouldn't leave him in his cot all night to cry- which I don't! in fact ive tried taking him in our bed, holding him in his room, taking him downstairs......no change!

my inner momma bear is rearing her head.....grr!
    Maybe at bedtime tonight try raising the head of the cot/mattress? Might be worth a try. There's nothing worse when u know something is wrong and they won't listen!!

Gee_G wrote: »
    Maybe at bedtime tonight try raising the head of the cot/mattress? Might be worth a try. There's nothing worse when u know something is wrong and they won't listen!!

Thanks....unfortunately its already raised. if I raise it up anymore he will be able to hop out of the cot so im reluctant to stick another pillow under the mattress. I'm nearly at the stage where I want to buy dozol and see if that helps him. although i don't think it will. :(

defo try another doc, would you have westdoc or something, where you may see a different gp? did your gp actually check his ears?

i remember the first time our eldest was like that, didnt want o sleep or be put down, screaming til he puked etc - but was fine during the day. nurse told me he was just teething, i insisted on bringing him in anyway and it turned out he had a really nasty ear infection on both sides, the poor thing. daytimes were ok as he had plenty of distraction and wasnt lying down (napping in my arms or in the pram, where his head was raised a little).

if your gut feeling tells you there is something not quite right, listen to it! better to be safe than sorry!

Anyone have experience of nappies that smell strongly acidic (like vinegar) in a formula fed baby. Also some brownish mucous in stools (though not blood stained type of brown).

Any ideas???

Hmm no never heard of that ... is the baby on solids yet? Tbh I'd be inclined to ring the PHN or GP about that.

Having said that, it's probably nothing to worry about - baby poo seems to come in every shade and scent and form! :D

Hmm no never heard of that ... is the baby on solids yet? Tbh I'd be inclined to ring the PHN or GP about that.

Having said that, it's probably nothing to worry about - baby poo seems to come in every shade and scent and form! :D

No solids, only 11.5 weeks old. It has only been the last 24 hours. If it happens again for tomorrow's daily poop I'm gonna get a sample from the nappy and make a GP appointment. It's a wierd one!

What's the story with stairgates - where's a good place to buy them, are there any on offer at the moment anywhere? Also, we're living in a rented house - are there different "types" of stairgates that might do less damage to the walls? And do they come in adjustable sizes or do you need to measure up before you go shopping?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

My 2 always got acidy smelly poo's whem teething.

Re stair gates get ones that dont have the bar to step over but i think they screw to the wall (my landlord was fine about this) but unfortuneyly Mine dont screw to the wall and have that nuesance of a bar. My friends are like tge first i mentioned and they are great.
    They are a lindam brand bought in argos. And definietly measure. My bottom one isnt wide enough so OH had to screw some pieces of timber on to the bannister and wall.

Suucee wrote: »
    My 2 always got acidy smelly poo's whem teething.

Re stair gates get ones that dont have the bar to step over but i think they screw to the wall (my landlord was fine about this) but unfortuneyly Mine dont screw to the wall and have that nuesance of a bar. My friends are like tge first i mentioned and they are great.
    They are a lindam brand bought in argos. And definietly measure. My bottom one isnt wide enough so OH had to screw some pieces of timber on to the bannister and wall.

I have had my lindam gates for a good 6/7 years and they are still going strong! I have the puppy ones and baby ones. You can buy extensions for all the lindam gates (just ring them)! I find the puppy ones better as they are taller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I hate the uncertainty tou feel when your child is sick. Bubs has been running a temp all day, spent the best part of the day lying on me. Her heart is going 90 and her breathing is fast as a result. I know before when I had a fever my heart was racing as it fought the infection. Still worried though so keeping an eye on her. But she's taking water, milk and is interested in food so I dunno! Feel bad for not bringing her to the doc (yet) but I really can't afford to lose 60 euro to be told she has the flu. But I'm keeping an eye on her so Hope ye don't think I'm choosing money over her :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I hope she is ok loubain, plenty of fluid especially water and if she won't take it dilute with a little bit of juice for sweetness but try plain water first and fruit if she'll eat it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

What's the story with stairgates - where's a good place to buy them, are there any on offer at the moment anywhere? Also, we're living in a rented house - are there different "types" of stairgates that might do less damage to the walls? And do they come in adjustable sizes or do you need to measure up before you go shopping?

Thanks!
    We got our stairgate in IKEA, it's one that's adjustable in width, and you don't have to permanently attach it, it has sort of round pads that you screw against the wall, if you get me.

(We don't have a stairs but we have no door between the living room and hte kitchen so we put it at the kitchen entrance, L is a bit too interested in the knobs on the cooker for my liking!)

EDIT: It's this one: http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/50226520/?query=502.265.20

With the pressure stairgates, make sure they are really straight and tight - our monkey managed to push his bum against the gate repeatedly, gate came loose at the wall fastening, which opened the door part of the gate, and he fell down the stairs backwards :eek:

More teeth here. I winder when i'll ever get a proper nights' sleep :mad:

With the pressure stairgates, make sure they are really straight and tight - our monkey managed to push his bum against the gate repeatedly, gate came loose at the wall fastening, which opened the door part of the gate, and he fell down the stairs backwards :eek:

Jeez hope he was ok.
    Should check ours. At mo 2.5yr old goes up and down herself so only have gate on top closed at night but when baba starts moving will need to re babyproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Just popped upstairs to give some bonjella and noticed one of her molars has cut through. She has all four molars building and rarely sleeps well. She was in bed with me last night which was uncomfortable for both of us... And my husband too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Think we all feel a bit like this sometimes :)

http://www.someecards.com/usercards/viewcard/behind-every-great-kid-is-a-mom-who-is-pretty-sure-shes-screwing-it-up-f665b

If I could I would put in parent as opposed to mom tho! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Quick question! I use Pampers New Baby Size 3 for Baby Merkin however I notice that Tesco have an offer on at the moment for Size 3 Pampers Stay Dry. Is there a big difference and if so what does anyone know? Are they a little rougher on the skin as the new baby ones are lovely.

Advertisement