Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Merkin is he drinking his bottles slower. Maybe its an issue with the teat and time to move to faster flow. Although with his opp thursday i wouldnt go changing a thing.

It could be uncomfortable with teething also.
    My daughter went off her bottles every time she cut a tooth.

Anyway if he's having plenty of wet and dirty nappies im sure he's fine.
    Best of luck thursday. Im sure he'l be fine . Its the mammies and daddies that suffer more i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

What are the signs we need to go to a bigger size teat?? Still on newborn teats at 3.5 months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    What are the signs we need to go to a bigger size teat?? Still on newborn teats at 3.5 months!

I think when they collapse the teeth it's time to move on. So its like they are sucking all the air out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Hi guys I'm a little off topic here but didn't want to go onto pregnancy forum with scary stories. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience of early miscarriage at all? There has been a lot of marital activity recently and while we are not actually trying we weren't exactly careful. Last week I got what I thought was my period a week late. It started on the Monday and then completely stopped. When I woke up on Tuesday morning there was no sign. I had cramps all day and then passed a cloth that night and it started up again but only lasted a day. I'm still cramping today but no more bleeding. Does anyone have any experience of this? Do I need to see a doctor if it is a miscarriage or do I just treat it as a late period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Anyone know how long the 'why' phase usually lasts? It's driving us nuts. Why, why, why, for everything and anything. :mad: please let this be over soon before I lose my mind.

galah wrote: »
    Anyone know how long the 'why' phase usually lasts? It's driving us nuts. Why, why, why, for everything and anything. :mad: please let this be over soon before I lose my mind.

Well my son is 4 in January... It's not over lol

galah wrote: »

Were in the "what you doing?" Phase. And she keeps asking evem after you have answered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

We're in the 'where we going' phase even when we're not going anywhere & it's repeated every few minutes even when he's answered!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

My grandson is sleeping very badly lately and baby number 2 is nearly due. My poor daughter is wrecked. I saw this tonight and sent it to her. It did raise a smile, hope it does the same for anyone else in the same situation :)

http://www.scarymommy.com/reasons-your-toddler-might-be-awake-right-now/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Hi guys I'm a little off topic here but didn't want to go onto pregnancy forum with scary stories. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience of early miscarriage at all? There has been a lot of marital activity recently and while we are not actually trying we weren't exactly careful. Last week I got what I thought was my period a week late. It started on the Monday and then completely stopped. When I woke up on Tuesday morning there was no sign. I had cramps all day and then passed a cloth that night and it started up again but only lasted a day. I'm still cramping today but no more bleeding. Does anyone have any experience of this? Do I need to see a doctor if it is a miscarriage or do I just treat it as a late period?

Some times your period can be late for no obvious reason - hormones, go figure. Other times the egg and sperm meet up attach to the wrong part (takes 10 days to reach your womb), not split properly, not be viable etc. One in two pregnancies can end in the first few weeks and many don't even realise they are pregnant.

You can have an implantation bleed (spotting) around when your period is due also. I don't know about seeing a doctor or not that is up to you.

Also are you taking folic acid? Very important if you aren't being careful

bp wrote: »
    Some times your period can be late for no obvious reason - hormones, go figure. Other times the egg and sperm meet up attach to the wrong part (takes 10 days to reach your womb), not split properly, not be viable etc. One in two pregnancies can end in the first few weeks and many don't even realise they are pregnant.

You can have an implantation bleed (spotting) around when your period is due also. I don't know about seeing a doctor or not that is up to you.

Also are you taking folic acid? Very important if you aren't being careful

It was the lateness coupled with how unusual it was that made me think it might be something else. I wasn't taking folic acid as the not being careful wasn't really planned either. I'm not trying so I'll have to speak to my doc about contraception anyway so prob no harm to make a visit! Thanks for the reply :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Suucee wrote: »
    Were in the "what you doing?" Phase. And she keeps asking evem after you have answered.
    We're in the "what's that/c'est ççççççaaaaaaaaa?" (with the ça really long annoying) phase. I understand he's like a sponge for words at the moment but he'll ask it 20 times in a row for the same thing - gahhhhh!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I had a mc at 5weeks 6days and another at 8 weeks. For the early one, there really was no difference to a heavy clotty period a woman gets a few times a year. The only reason I knew was that I'd had a positive test nearly two weeks beforehand.

They way they test that everything is passed and therefore that you dont need a d&c is by way of pregnancy testing. So if you test positive initally, you should test a few days later and so on. After about a week or so, if you have fully miscarried your test should be negative.

The first time I miscarried I went to the EPU and they did a pregnancy test which by that stage was negative. Sent home with platitudes. Next time I didnt even bother to waste my time going and with the agreement of my GP agreed to test for pregnancy at home with the agreement that if the tests were still positive after a certain number of days he would insist I go in to get checked further.

At the 8 weeks miscarriage, I passed an unmistakable sac, about the size of a large egg yolk, and lots of clots.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Hi this also off topic. I'm sure some of you could help me. I'm looking for a reasonably priced personalised Christmas book for a child. The type of book where you can insert the childs name and one or two other names and the book is about Santa. The cheapest I can find online is twenty euro. Thank you

Neyite wrote: »
    I had a mc at 5weeks 6days and another at 8 weeks. For the early one, there really was no difference to a heavy clotty period a woman gets a few times a year. The only reason I knew was that I'd had a positive test nearly two weeks beforehand.

They way they test that everything is passed and therefore that you dont need a d&c is by way of pregnancy testing. So if you test positive initally, you should test a few days later and so on. After about a week or so, if you have fully miscarried your test should be negative.

The first time I miscarried I went to the EPU and they did a pregnancy test which by that stage was negative. Sent home with platitudes. Next time I didnt even bother to waste my time going and with the agreement of my GP agreed to test for pregnancy at home with the agreement that if the tests were still positive after a certain number of days he would insist I go in to get checked further.

At the 8 weeks miscarriage, I passed an unmistakable sac, about the size of a large egg yolk, and lots of clots.

Thanks a million. I'll test at some point tomorrow and see how things are looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

bean14 wrote: »
    Hi this also off topic. I'm sure some of you could help me. I'm looking for a reasonably priced personalised Christmas book for a child. The type of book where you can insert the childs name and one or two other names and the book is about Santa. The cheapest I can find online is twenty euro. Thank you

What about this:

http://ratemyarea.com/deals/2547?slb=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

bean14 wrote: »

There's one on pigs back for 12 down from 20

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

A will be 3 next month and I think I'm finally recovering from baby brain. It's like a fog has been lifted and I can remember things I was incapable of remembering even a few months ago. It's quite a nice feeling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Can someone tell me where to make a complaint to the hospital? I think they stole my sex drive!!

Xdancer wrote: »
    A will be 3 next month and I think I'm finally recovering from baby brain. It's like a fog has been lifted and I can remember things I was incapable of remembering even a few months ago. It's quite a nice feeling :)

I can't believe she is nearly 3!! That flew in.

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Can someone tell me where to make a complaint to the hospital? I think they stole my sex drive!!

Think it gets chucked in the bucket with the placenta tbh.

Neyite wrote: »
    Think it gets chucked in the bucket with the placenta tbh.

Those 2 comments gave me a good laugh. OH had to ask.

How old is little one? Mine just came back with a fierce bang about 2 months ago. Husband is very confused but not complaining. Haven't really had one since my son was born nearly 4 years ago :-O my youngest is now 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

He just turned one. I have zero interest in sex. OH is being very good though. I will plan a date night this week and hopefully something will happen!

He just turned one. I have zero interest in sex. OH is being very good though. I will plan a date night this week and hopefully something will happen!

It's in their interest to be good about it lol I know if OH pushed me it would never have happened. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself. Everytime I did out of sense of obligation I didn't enjoy it and it just put me off even more. Were very lucky to have such understanding husbands though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Thanks a million kitten_k and dori_dormer. I ordered the one that kitten_k posted the link too. Very easy order for €12.00 including p&p. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Our little one is taking nearly 2 hours for her feed and sometimes not finishing the bottle. Should it be this long. We are using sma. Would a change in formula at this stage help Her to finish the feeds quicker. She doesn't cry too much and seems to get wind up ok with infacol after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

greenman09 wrote: »
    Our little one is taking nearly 2 hours for her feed and sometimes not finishing the bottle. Should it be this long. We are using sma. Would a change in formula at this stage help Her to finish the feeds quicker. She doesn't cry too much and seems to get wind up ok with infacol after a while.

How old is she? Depending on her age you could try a larger (number 2) teat? They have a slighter larger hole to enable the baby to drink quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

What age is she greenman? If the SMA seems to be agreeing with her then I'd be reluctant to change because it can play havoc with their digestive system. Some babies are just grazers and prefer to drink little and often over time rather than a whole bottle in one sitting. How many ozs are you putting in each feed and how often is she feeding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Oh sorry 5 weeks. We are currently giving her 5 ounces of the sma formula and she usually feeds every 3 hrs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

greenman09 wrote: »
    Oh sorry 5 weeks. We are currently giving her 5 ounces of the sma formula and she usually feeds every 3 hrs

You could try a number 2 teat. Check on the pack but I think they can be used from 1 or 2 months depending on which bottles you are using. The packs will tell you the age they are suitable from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

At that age my babba used to take at least an hour and a half per bf, got quicker over time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ugh. Sleep routines with a toddler are like an arms race.

When she could stand in the cot and reach the door, the first thing she started doing was opening the door and shouting out for us; we'd leave the door open a slight crack to stop it getting stuffy. This could go on for ages before she'd settle down. Then I discovered that if I actually closed the door, it was a stiff door and she was unable to open it. We'd open it then again when she fell asleep.
    This also led to the five-minute rule. If she's still whinging and calling after five minutes, then we go back into her. 99% of the time, she settles down within 3 or 4 minutes. Things settled down for a while. Door closed, she wouldn't even bother trying to open it anymore and would just babble to herself for a while before dropping off.

This nice peaceful routine went on for a few months, until in the space of two days (around her second birthday too) she realised that not only was she now strong enough to open the door on her own, she could also reach the light switch and turn the light on. *sigh*
    She also realised that if she stretched far enough out through the bars of her cot, she could reach the switch on the plug, and reach a lamp in the room and remove the bulb. *sigh*

A week or so of this, taking half an hour or more to get her to settle down and we said, "Fnck it", and rearranged her bedroom so that the cot was now in a place where she couldn't reach anything. We expected her to go nuclear the first night, but nope, she quickly realised there was no mischief to get up to and promptly dropped off.

Ah, peace and quiet. Now she's started waking up in the middle of the night, looking to play. It starts as "Cuddle", then "bottle", then "sit down there Daddy", before turning to crying and whinging if we leave the room. So we decided last night to put the five minute rule into play again. Pop the soother in, pop her down, and then walk out and leave it for five minutes. And it worked.

Just waiting now to see what she's going to do to change the game, again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Teehee, wait until she decides to vault over the cot bars, walk to the door and open it. Gave us the fright of our lives when our then two and a bit old did that!:eek:

Still playing 'daddy do it' here with our almost three year old, it's driving me demented as i cannot do anything, and god help me when daddy has gone out. Child has a sixth sense for when daddy sneaks out the door, and goes postal if daddy isnt around to do his bidding. Very annoying. But this is compensated by the 9 months old who screams blue murder when i as much as turn my back to him. Cant win...

Also back in fulltime job, this is a whole new level of crazy. Have to be superorganised at all times, and realised that neither of us will be able to get sick, ever, as it will be a logistical nightmare if one of us isnt available for pickup/drop offs etc. :eek:

My daughter never tried to climb out of her cot, so you might be lucky too. She's nearly 3 and we've only just managed to coax her out of her cot and into a bed.

Our problem is that she roars, screams and fights us through every step of the night time routine. She finally calms down just before getting into bed. I wouldn't mind if there had been some drastic change to her routine recently but there hasn't been one. The neighbours must think we're murdering her every night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

A sudden change in feeding routine for no apparent reason?

My little girl is 9 weeks old today and has been an absolute gem from the time she was born- it's almost been embarrassing how lucky we have been with her.
    She always ate really well (as in had her feed without too much encouragement being needed and once winded she was grand again).
    She would feed at 10pm and be in bed by 11pm and used to wake at 04:00 for a feed and then again at 07:00. Then she was back down until approx 10am and so the day would go.
    Of late she had been sleeping through from 11pm until 06:00/06:30. We could hardly believe our luck.

Now over the last week but especially the last two days this has changed. Saturday night and Sunday night she ate hardly any of her feed at 10pm, she'd take just enough to get herself off to sleep. The result of this is that she is waking again at 04:00 to feed. However this 04:00 feed sees her take just 40ml/50ml and not a full 140ml feed.
    This morning she has had 40/50ml at 04:00, slept and awake again at 06:30- little feed as before and sleep and awake again at 07:40 for another 50ml and bed again.
    She sleeps for the hour and then is awake looking for more food but she just will not take more than the 40/50ml.

The only thing that is different in the past week is that she had her first set of vaccinations. However I think this reaction and change to her feeding routine has come a little late after the jabs?
    Has such a thing happened with any of you guys and if so how did you return your little one to their previous routine?

A sudden change in feeding routine for no apparent reason?

My little girl is 9 weeks old today and has been an absolute gem from the time she was born- it's almost been embarrassing how lucky we have been with her.
    She always ate really well (as in had her feed without too much encouragement being needed and once winded she was grand again).
    She would feed at 10pm and be in bed by 11pm and used to wake at 04:00 for a feed and then again at 07:00. Then she was back down until approx 10am and so the day would go.
    Of late she had been sleeping through from 11pm until 06:00/06:30. We could hardly believe our luck.

Now over the last week but especially the last two days this has changed. Saturday night and Sunday night she ate hardly any of her feed at 10pm, she'd take just enough to get herself off to sleep. The result of this is that she is waking again at 04:00 to feed. However this 04:00 feed sees her take just 40ml/50ml and not a full 140ml feed.
    This morning she has had 40/50ml at 04:00, slept and awake again at 06:30- little feed as before and sleep and awake again at 07:40 for another 50ml and bed again.
    She sleeps for the hour and then is awake looking for more food but she just will not take more than the 40/50ml.

The only thing that is different in the past week is that she had her first set of vaccinations. However I think this reaction and change to her feeding routine has come a little late after the jabs?
    Has such a thing happened with any of you guys and if so how did you return your little one to their previous routine?

Does she suck a soother. Maybe shes comfort sucking rather than hungry. Id try give her soother at 10pm then feed her maybe at 11pm as she might take more then.

Suucee wrote: »
    Does she suck a soother. Maybe shes comfort sucking rather than hungry. Id try give her soother at 10pm then feed her maybe at 11pm as she might take more then.

She does suck a soother but has never been mad about it.
    I've been trying the soother with her this morning and she is having none of it.
    I had a shower this morning and she was ok while I was doing that and started to cry a bit as I was getting out.
    I left her to it as it was only a little bit of moaning on her part rather than proper crying. By the time I was dried and in my dressing gown again she was bawling.

10am is usually her feeding time (140/150mls) and so I made her a smaller bottle. She had 40 mls and stopped and started to fall asleep. I tried to wake he up and keep her going by getting her dressed in a different baby gro and she got really distressed and still wouldn't take any more food.
    As she was falling asleep I put her down in her Moses basket in her own room and she is fast asleep again.
    She has no wind.
    She has a clean dry nappy.
    She isn't hungry.
    She has no pain.

This all happened over the last two days and for the life of me I can't understand what caused it. Is this a developmental phase all babies go through and you just ride it out while trying to keep to a routine in so far as possible?

The Wonder Weeks app says there's a developmental leap between 7 and a half to 9 and a half weeks that can cause a baby to crave more physical contact and want to be fed more often but not drink much. Maybe that's what's causing it?

• Advertisement

The Wonder Weeks app says there's a developmental leap between 7 and a half to 9 and a half weeks that can cause a baby to crave more physical contact and want to be fed more often but not drink much. Maybe that's what's causing it?

Thanks :-) I just read over what they say it could well be that. I always think anyone (baby or not) if hungry will eat so I'm not worried about her food intake - she is getting enough just in smaller more frequent amounts.
    I'm going to implement the routine suggested by the app, it fits in with our daily routine in the house anyway, and see how we get on.
    She was such an angel baby I'm sure that she will go back to that once she finds her way through this little patch.
    She is also growing quickly as they do! So that might be a factor too.

Ok so silly question - we are moving my friends little girl into her first bed. We are getting this one which says it is 3ft. Will a normal single duvet be ok or are there special duvets needed for beds of this size? If so anyone know where to get them?

http://www.mattressmick.ie/store/p39/Jemima_Metal_Bed_.html

kitten_k wrote: »
    Ok so silly question - we are moving my friends little girl into her first bed. We are getting this one which says it is 3ft. Will a normal single duvet be ok or are there special duvets needed for beds of this size? If so anyone know where to get them?

http://www.mattressmick.ie/store/p39/Jemima_Metal_Bed_.html

3ft is 90cm more or less so a normal single duvet would be fine

Cheers Xdancer - can't believe it's time to move her already but she won't sleep in her cot so hopefully a bed might work better.

Cheers Xdancer - can't believe it's time to move her already but she won't sleep in her cot so hopefully a bed might work better.

Haha A is nearly 3 and we forcibly evicted her from her cot the week before last. She did not want to leave it :) She is happy in her Hello Kitty bed now thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We got a cot duvet in ikea. It doesn't cover the bed but it covers where he sleeps and his teddies live at the bottom of the bed.

• Advertisement

Xdancer wrote: »
    Haha A is nearly 3 and we forcibly evicted her from her cot the week before last. She did not want to leave it :) She is happy in her Hello Kitty bed now thankfully

Wish L was like that! She will only go asleep on one of us and then I have to try and get her into the cot, sometimes she goes in ok, other times it's a nightmare. Some nights she won't go into it at all and ends up having to go into S's bed for the night. She ends up in S's bed at some stage every night even when we do get her into the cot. Hopefully she will like her own bed better!

Wish L was like that! She will only go asleep on one of us and then I have to try and get her into the cot, sometimes she goes in ok, other times it's a nightmare. Some nights she won't go into it at all and ends up having to go into S's bed for the night. She ends up in S's bed at some stage every night even when we do get her into the cot. Hopefully she will like her own bed better!

Oh A has had plenty of phases like that. Since we removed her cot she has to have me lie next to her until she falls asleep. The plan is to wean her off that soon too.

Thanks :-) I just read over what they say it could well be that. I always think anyone (baby or not) if hungry will eat so I'm not worried about her food intake - she is getting enough just in smaller more frequent amounts.
    I'm going to implement the routine suggested by the app, it fits in with our daily routine in the house anyway, and see how we get on.
    She was such an angel baby I'm sure that she will go back to that once she finds her way through this little patch.
    She is also growing quickly as they do! So that might be a factor too.

Little update- after a long and hard day yesterday with my little one I am happy to report that today has started off better.
    We went for a walk last night with the baby and then had a relaxed bedtime routine. She still didn't take enough food to get her through the night so we opted for a dream feed at 11pm. That saw her through until 5am when she woke and had 120ml.
    That kept her going until 08:30 and she got up.
    We had a nice morning feed- 100ml then a break for winding and nappy change and getting dressed. Another 40ml then, some kisses and silly chat.
    She showed signs of getting tired then and do we went back into her bedroom, sat on the chair, some soft soothing sounds and cuddles.
    As she dropped off I wrapped her in a swaddling cloth and put her down and left the room as she was sucking on her hand.
    After an few minutes she started to cry again just like yesterday but I put the soother into her mouth, patted her chest softly and firmly a few times and left again.
    Now she is fast asleep.
    The app and Secrets of the Baby Whisperer all say that if your baby is under 3 months old then it takes only 3 days to reset or establish a routine. Fingers crossed this is working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Moved J out of the box room aka the nursery tonight & into his new big boys room to make room for his little sister's arrival in a few months. Feels like only yesterday we were getting the nursery ready for him. Dunno if it's hormones or what but I feel like bawling, time is going way too fast:o

Just wondering, what books would be more suitable for a toddler- Dr Seuss or Mr Men? I'm thinking maybe the rhyming sillyness of Dr Seuss might be more appealing to a small child?

• Advertisement
Advertisement