Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My son loves both. We started reading them to him just before he turned 3. If I had to pick I'd go for dr Seuss. They're such fun to read. Last Christmas we bought the 1960's cartoon of the Grinch on DVD and he loves that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Just wondering, what books would be more suitable for a toddler- Dr Seuss or Mr Men? I'm thinking maybe the rhyming sillyness of Dr Seuss might be more appealing to a small child?

Gruffallo and dr Seuss is big hit with little people in my life :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Just wondering, what books would be more suitable for a toddler- Dr Seuss or Mr Men? I'm thinking maybe the rhyming sillyness of Dr Seuss might be more appealing to a small child?

I've never tried Dr Seuss, must see if there's any in the library. But my just turned 2 yr old and almost 5yr old both love Mr Men. The latest favourite is Miss Helpful, they literally roll around laughing when i'm reading it and all i hear at the end is "again, again"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Julia Donaldson all the way in my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Gruffalo is a big hit in our house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Never heard of her before but I just had a nosey google there- the illustrations look fab :D

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I ordered a few of her books from The Book Depository for my daughter for Christmas. Should arrive this week. They look lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Never heard of her before but I just had a nosey google there- the illustrations look fab :D

I love Julia Donaldson but at 21 months my son adores the That's not my... Series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Kipper was always a big hit in our house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

My 2 year old absolutely loves Julia Donaldson and axel scheffer books. Just read him the scarecrows wedding there before bed and he loved it!! He also loves the lift flap book like postman bear, foxs socks and hide and seek hen. He's kind of outgrown the "that's not my..." Series now but he did really like them a few months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yup, she's brilliant. I was coming on to recommend her. My favourite is Monkey Puzzle. That said S's favourites are currently his In The Night Garden, Disney Cars and Thomas the Tank Engine books. Basically anything he's seen on tv.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

when does the child allowance come in? is it on the 5th or is it the first Tuesday of the month?

First Tuesday for collecting in the post office. Not sure about people who get paid directly into the bank. I'll be avoiding town at all costs, made the mistake of wandering innocently into Penneys last CA day :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

ok grand! I ordered a few christmas presents and am now skint- that child allowance will be a big help this time of year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

What age did you all move your little toddlers into a toddler bed? My son is 2yrs old and he can get in and out of cot but he does sleep soundly during the night. We have a regular bed in his room beside the cot. Should we just get a bed rail or get a toddler bed and take out bed and cot?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

We moved our little fella at 2, we'd been on holidays & he'd spent 2 weeks sleeping in a bed so when we got home he couldn't get back used to the restrictions of a cot.
    We bought him a normal single bed but OH cut a couple of inches off the legs as I was afraid he's hurt himself if he fell out. We used to fold a duvet along the floor at the side of the bed so if he did fall out he'd have a soft landing. He fell out twice the first 2 nights but after that he got used to knowing where the edge of the bed was & there hasn't been a problem since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I put my then 16 month old in a regular single bed with a cot mattress on the floor and a toddler side on the bed: wouldn't bother with the toddler bed!

We put our then 23month old into an Ikea toddler bed. He's still in it now age 5, although he has a sibling 25mths who'll go into it sometime in the next 6 months (not showing any signs yet of wanting out of the cot thankfully).

The Ikea toddler bed was only €69 (excl the mattress obviously).

I'd have no worries going straight to a single bed with a toddler rail but i just liked the toddler beds to be honest, i think they're cute, and we didn't already have a single in the house at the time so we had to buy something and it wasn't a bit outlay. We didn't have the 2nd child then either so i didn't know how the eventual sleeping arrangements would be, i'm glad i waited as we've 2 boys now so i might get bunk beds for them as they share a room. If we'd ended up with a girl they'd probably have their own rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

ariana` wrote: »
    We put our then 23month old into an Ikea toddler bed. He's still in it now age 5, although he has a sibling 25mths who'll go into it sometime in the next 6 months (not showing any signs yet of wanting out of the cot thankfully).

The Ikea toddler bed was only €69 (excl the mattress obviously).

I'd have no worries going straight to a single bed with a toddler rail but i just liked the toddler beds to be honest, i think they're cute, and we didn't already have a single in the house at the time so we had to buy something and it wasn't a bit outlay. We didn't have the 2nd child then either so i didn't know how the eventual sleeping arrangements would be, i'm glad i waited as we've 2 boys now so i might get bunk beds for them as they share a room. If we'd ended up with a girl they'd probably have their own rooms.

Ive a boy and a girl and they share rooms. we had them seperate but found the lil guy preferred company. We turned his room in to a play room and moved his cot and furnture in with his sister. Its great actually as only worrying about heating one room now .
    Although they are only 2.5yrs and 8 months so im sure they will eventually want to be separated.
    It is lovely to hear them giggling away (even when they are supposed to be sleeping) or when baba is shouting at toddler. or especially when baba wakes grumpy and starts giving out and you can then hear toddler "whats wrong coo coo? (her nick name for him), its alright"
    Melts my heart every time.
    We do hear the odd "shhhhh, go night night" from her too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Isn't it amazing how much toddlers take in without you realising! Last night I was putting up the Christmas tree. It is a big thick fake one where the branches are added seperately and I had about half of them added when S looked at it and started saying chis'is in total awe. He stared at it for about 30 seconds, then shouted Sa-a and ran to the couch for the Christmas teddies that have been out since Friday and tried to sit them on the branches. I was shocked that he not only put Christmas and Santa together but that he knew Santas can go on the tree.

My son just came over to my daughter and said I love you baby. I said she loves you too. She would be very sad if she didn't have her big brother and he said "I would be very sad if I didn't have her too. I'd cry day and night. I'd be a mess" he is such a drama queen pmsl

My little girl turned 3 today. Not a trace of baby left in her anymore.
    Where has the time gone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Xdancer wrote: »

Facing the same in April when my guy turns 3, it feels like only yesterday I was bringing him home from the hospital!!

My first 'baby' will be 4 in January. I can't believe he'll be 4 and starting school next year.

Our little fella is 10 months and I'm in two minds whether to wrap the santa presents or not? He will be getting 2 things that require assembly so we'll just leave them out under the tree but we have a few bits in boxes that could be wrapped. Tbh, he's so small that I think he'd get a better kick out of tearing off the wrapping than playing with the actual toys anyway :pac:

• Advertisement

My first 'baby' will be 4 in January. I can't believe he'll be 4 and starting school next year.

Ah my little man is 4 in January aswell. I was at an open day in his new school a few weeks ago and I kept welling up. God only knows what I'll be like when he actually starts lol

Ah my little man is 4 in January aswell. I was at an open day in his new school a few weeks ago and I kept welling up. God only knows what I'll be like when he actually starts lol

Here kids start school the year they turn 3, so my little one started school in September at the ripe old age of 2 years and 9 months! I've already had a parent teaching meeting and we're going to their Christmas show next Thursday afternoon. Granted they'll only be singing a song or so but how scary is that! : O

Here kids start school the year they turn 3, so my little one started school in September at the ripe old age of 2 years and 9 months! I've already had a parent teaching meeting and we're going to their Christmas show next Thursday afternoon. Granted they'll only be singing a song or so but how scary is that! : O

Omg that's very early. My son has been in playschool since 2 but no uniform or full days. Just 3 hours everyday. When he puts his uniform on in September I will be a mess. I didn't think I would he until the open day lol eeeek he is going to Irish school aswell so a bit nervous for him learning new language

Omg that's very early. My son has been in playschool since 2 but no uniform or full days. Just 3 hours everyday. When he puts his uniform on in September I will be a mess. I didn't think I would he until the open day lol eeeek he is going to Irish school aswell so a bit nervous for him learning new language

A does 9-2 5 days a week but loves it. He'll be fine with Irish. Before the age of 6 kids brains work in a way that makes it easier for them to pick up other languages. I've looked into it a lot as we're bringing our little one up trilingual.

Omg looking after only 1 baby is a cinch when you're used to looking after 2!!! Mum has taking my 2 year old since last night for the night as she wants to spend some time with him today. So I've only had my 8 month old. I've had the most relaxing stress free day I've had all year!!!!!! Think we may have to rethink our plans for number 3 next year! Lol lol lol. Now to put the feet up...

• Advertisement

That's gonna flip around soon lol . Before my daughter turned 1 she was the easy one and my son was the hard one and then he turned 3 and she became the hard one and there is no minding in my son anymore lol I bath them together and I usually take her out first and dress her and then get him but now he has started getting out and drying and dressing himself. It's sooooooo nice lol

That's gonna flip around soon lol . Before my daughter turned 1 she was the easy one and my son was the hard one and then he turned 3 and she became the hard one and there is no minding in my son anymore lol I bath them together and I usually take her out first and dress her and then get him but now he has started getting out and drying and dressing himself. It's sooooooo nice lol

Lol. O i hope L never changes! She is a dream baby (touch wood). Now my son (just turned 2 a few weeks ago) is the cutest thing ever... But he is just such a lunatic!!! My brothers can only manage to run after him for a half hr or 1 hr tops before they are puffing, panting and red in the face. Lol. It's no wonder I'm down to 8st!... I barely have time to eat with him. But I spose he wouldn't be normal If he was any other way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Lol. O i hope L never changes! She is a dream baby (touch wood). Now my son (just turned 2 a few weeks ago) is the cutest thing ever... But he is just such a lunatic!!! My brothers can only manage to run after him for a half hr or 1 hr tops before they are puffing, panting and red in the face. Lol. It's no wonder I'm down to 8st!... I barely have time to eat with him. But I spose he wouldn't be normal If he was any other way :)

My 13 month is a lunatic too. Don't know how I'm going to manage in July when I have a pair. She's hilarious and great fun but so fearless. Her tiny drunkard baby walk has turned into a little run :D She then decides half way to her destination that she'd be faster crawling and throws herself on the ground. Her death defying antics earned her a fat lip and bruised head at the weekend when she put her top teeth through her bottom lip while trying to use her block trolley like a scooter!!

Roesy wrote: »
    My 13 month is a lunatic too. Don't know how I'm going to manage in July when I have a pair. She's hilarious and great fun but so fearless. Her tiny drunkard baby walk has turned into a little run :D She then decides half way to her destination that she'd be faster crawling and throws herself on the ground. Her death defying antics earned her a fat lip and bruised head at the weekend when she put her top teeth through her bottom lip while trying to use her block trolley like a scooter!!

Aw she sounds like a little dote Roesy! What a cutie. Congrats on the pregnancy! :)

I think I said this to you before about being very similar. My daughter was a text book baby. Never cried slept all night from 7 to 7 from week old. Always finished bottles. She was a dream but once she started walking and climbing I was chasing her everywhere while my son was just doing his own thing after 3 years of being an absolute lunatic. He is 4 now in January and she will be 2 in April. I was out the back hanging out washing and I was watching them through the window and I seen my son sit down at the table and butter a scone, cut it in half and give half to my little one lol that's lunch sorted. Can't wait till he starts making the dinner ha ha

I think I said this to you before about being very similar. My daughter was a text book baby. Never cried slept all night from 7 to 7 from week old. Always finished bottles. She was a dream but once she started walking and climbing I was chasing her everywhere while my son was just doing his own thing after 3 years of being an absolute lunatic. He is 4 now in January and she will be 2 in April. I was out the back hanging out washing and I was watching them through the window and I seen my son sit down at the table and butter a scone, cut it in half and give half to my little one lol that's lunch sorted. Can't wait till he starts making the dinner ha ha

Aw what a little gent emmadilemma! I look forward to those days :)

Aw what a little gent emmadilemma! I look forward to those days :)

Me too! There will be no Irish mammying going on in this house lol boys will earn their keep with chores aswell as girls :-P

Vomiting bug has hit. Kids grand, im dying. Had to get my sis to call up and help out as had no energy .
    Ugh. L was a lil sick saturday. OH had it yesterday but both wrre fine i seem to have got it alot worse.

My son is 4 in January (omg where did those years go :) ?) and he's still wearing pull-ups at night.

How do you kick start the night training? His pull up is still wet in the morning but one night I forgot to put one on him before bed and he didn't have an accident. He's great during the day and very very rarely has an accident. He's day trained since October last year.

I'm probably dreading the added disruption to my sleep as my daughter wakes most nights and I don't want to add more wakings into the mix.

However should he be out of pull ups by 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Suucee wrote: »
    Vomiting bug has hit. Kids grand, im dying. Had to get my sis to call up and help out as had no energy .
    Ugh. L was a lil sick saturday. OH had it yesterday but both wrre fine i seem to have got it alot worse.

Question for you if you don't mind! I am 16 pregnant and have been suffering from terrible hyperemesis - was hospitalised a few times etc. Over the last two weeks it lifted a lot and I've felt human again, I've been out of bed and eating again and able to care for myself and my son. Until Monday night when the vomiting came back with a vengeance, vominting every 30 minutes no fluids staying down etc just like it was when I was at my worse at in the hospital. I was wondering if it was the vomiting bug but then I thought surely I can't be that unlucky? To vomit non stop for 3 months and then get the vomiting bug after it!

I'm starting to feel better today but I'm still not sure whether it was a bug or the hyperemesis flaring up. Suucee - did any of the rest of your family get it? My son and husband are fine which makes me think not a bug. Also, how long did it last? Are you still sick?

Just trying to figure it out in case I need to be prepared for the hyperemsis flaring up every so often or if it really is a bug:( I reckon the symptoms are pretty identical, feeling like **** and non-stop vomiting!

It's so weird to be hoping I have a vomiting bug! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

My son is 4 in January (omg where did those years go :) ?) and he's still wearing pull-ups at night.

How do you kick start the night training? His pull up is still wet in the morning but one night I forgot to put one on him before bed and he didn't have an accident. He's great during the day and very very rarely has an accident. He's day trained since October last year.

I'm probably dreading the added disruption to my sleep as my daughter wakes most nights and I don't want to add more wakings into the mix.

I played it by ear. When the night pull ups were consistently dry. ..we stopped using them.

My 3 year old is only trained since the summer. ..or maybe the autumn? It took so long I can't remember lol...but he'll be in night pull ups till he's 40! ;)

Woshy wrote: »
    Question for you if you don't mind! I am 16 pregnant and have been suffering from terrible hyperemesis - was hospitalised a few times etc. Over the last two weeks it lifted a lot and I've felt human again, I've been out of bed and eating again and able to care for myself and my son. Until Monday night when the vomiting came back with a vengeance, vominting every 30 minutes no fluids staying down etc just like it was when I was at my worse at in the hospital. I was wondering if it was the vomiting bug but then I thought surely I can't be that unlucky? To vomit non stop for 3 months and then get the vomiting bug after it!

I'm starting to feel better today but I'm still not sure whether it was a bug or the hyperemesis flaring up. Suucee - did any of the rest of your family get it? My son and husband are fine which makes me think not a bug. Also, how long did it last? Are you still sick?

Just trying to figure it out in case I need to be prepared for the hyperemsis flaring up every so often or if it really is a bug:( I reckon the symptoms are pretty identical, feeling like **** and non-stop vomiting!

It's so weird to be hoping I have a vomiting bug! :D

My 8.5 mnth old puked about 3 times saturday but was in great form. My OH puked once tuesday but was well enough for work but complaining of cramps and diahrea. My stomach still crampy and i vonited again a small bit this morning. But managed to cook and eat a small bit of my dinner. My mum came to gave a hand today but shes not feeling well either. Yesterday though was terrible i couldnt move witgout vomiting or wretching until it was pure burning bile.

Hopefilly its the bug. As i said there was a few days between baba having it and us getting it. Also 2.5yr old is grand but shes been having tummy issues for weeks which are just improvong (long story).

my daughter is 2.5. What we done when she was day trained was put her to bed at 7.30 in pants. Then go in around 11 carry her out and put her on the toilet. Then put a nappy on. First thing next morning we took nappy off and brought her out. When we had a week of consistently dry we stopped the nappy but still bring her out at 11. When she was unwell we went back to putting the nappy on for about 2 weeks again (she was having diahrea on and off and her whole system was a lil messed up) thankfully shes over that so after about 4 consecutive dry nights we stopped with the nappy.

I have heard it can take until they are 7/8 . Its not laziness or anything so i wouldnt be worried in the slightest. He will get there.
    Maybe try bringing him out just as you go to bed and see if it helps.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

4.5 month old picked up her first cold and then promptly infected mam and dad :p

I learned a few valuable lessons
    1) she doesnt like nasal saline spray
    2) If she can smell vicks vapo rub, she wants to eat said rub
    3) After months of peaceful 12 hours nights, we had 2 nights in a row where she was up every 90 mins or so because of a stuffed nose, it was hell (i dont know how people do this all the time :eek:)
    4) i get no sympathy for my man flu anymore

We were away at the weekend and i noticed everything we have food she's like a zombie, just stares at it and drools

How strange at 4yrs my son's pull ups were wet 6 nights out of 7. And the bed was often wet as well, the pull up didn't hold it all. I was waiting for a run of dry nights to take them off but it didn't come. At this age he started asking to wearing his big boy pants to bed so eventually at 4yrs 4mth i decided we'd nothing to lose, he was waking up in a wet bed a lot of nights anyhow even with the very costly pull ups. We never looked back, it's a year later now and i'd say he's wet the bed about 5 times since then. We lifted him at 10/11pm for the first few nights and then he started getting up himself to use the toilet usually before midnight, nowadays it's usually the very early hours 5/6am when he gets up, i guess as time goes by he's able to last longer. I won't use the pull ups as long the next time (if we use them at all), in my experience they did nothing except drag out the process.

Thanks seasoned mammies :)

He was asking last September if he could wear big boy pants to bed and I fobbed him off because I thought he wasn't quite ready. Part of me thinks he'd be quite good though as he's fastidious during the day. I'm also starting to think it's laziness that he wets his pull-up because it probably doesn't feel wet to him so he pees in it rather than going to the toilet. I put his pull up a little earlier last night and he peed in it while he was playing. That's why I think they make him a little lazy.

I might give it a try over the Christmas break when we've a few days off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

He was asking last September if he could wear big boy pants to bed and I fobbed him off because I thought he wasn't quite ready. Part of me thinks he'd be quite good though as he's fastidious during the day. I'm also starting to think it's laziness that he wets his pull-up because it probably doesn't feel wet to him so he pees in it rather than going to the toilet. I put his pull up a little earlier last night and he peed in it while he was playing. That's why I think they make him a little lazy.

Yeah I think that could be part of it, the modern nappies are so absorbent these days that they have to be full before the child feels wet! It's a lot more unpleasant to have a wet underpants!
    Our little lad (he'll be 3 in February) is on his way to being toilet trained. He uses the potty for everything during the day, every second night or so, his nappy is dry. I actually think being toilet trained is helping his constipation problem too!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

A child in my family was a bed wetter and it was simply that they didnt wake up to go to the toilet. They could feel the need, dreamt that they got up and went to sit on the loo, and then woke up in bed when they'd wet it instead.

It was just a deep sleep and once they figured out how to wake up properly they had it sorted.

Maybe try putting underpants on under the pull up? Then he would feel wet, but the bedding would be saved.
    I don't have any personal experience with this (don't hate me but I trained my daughter at 2.5 years and she has never wet the bed.....very lucky mama here :)), but a friend tried it and said it helped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I wonder is it because tge pull up feels so like a nappy he just associate it with peeing where you are

Advertisement