Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Any tips for getting an antibiotic into an 11month old baby? She refuses it in a bottle, mixed with anything or by itself. She needs it to get better but its a battle I'm loosing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

bean14 wrote: »
    Any tips for getting an antibiotic into an 11month old baby? She refuses it in a bottle, mixed with anything or by itself. She needs it to get better but its a battle I'm loosing!

Is she into dummies/dodies/soothers whatever you call them? My little boy is obsessed with his dummy - he can often be found with one in his gob and one in his hand. We got one of those dummies that you can fill with medicine and then push a lever on the front in in to push the drugs into his mouth. Worked a treat for us!

Our other technique is to use one of the little syringes and one of us holds him down and the other gets the syringe into his mouth and pushes the medicine in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I know it sounds barbaric but we syringe it into their mouths. Lots of tears and crying... But if they won't take it any other way... They need to get better. Hope he's feeling better soon :)

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've had to do a quick syringe into the mouth while pinning the baby's arms down, its not pleasant. :(. Just expel it into the cheek, or to the side, not the back of the throat and have a bottle or soother ready to 'plug' in so they forget to spit it back out.

If you are on your own, then a secure swaddle in a towel trapping their arms down will help prevent them from wiggling around on you and keep your hands free to give the medicine.

And lots of cuddles afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Wow I have been lucky - my little one loves all forms of medicine - antibiotics, calpol etc - always asks for more and is upset when the prescription is over!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Is it just me, or is posting a pic of your kid totalled whacked out of it on meds because they're about to go for an operation, just a little bit 'funny' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

bp wrote: »
    Wow I have been lucky - my little one loves all forms of medicine - antibiotics, calpol etc - always asks for more and is upset when the prescription is over!!!

I have one of those too :) If I have to give her medicine she gets all excited. I though it would change as she got older, but at 3 years of age she still loves it. Let's hope it stays that way.

Is it just me, or is posting a pic of your kid totalled whacked out of it on meds because they're about to go for an operation, just a little bit 'funny' ?

Funny as in 'Haha look at my little zonked baby' or funny as in weird?

I'd be charitable and attribute it to the coping mechanism of a worried parent trying to take their mind off their kid getting an operation, but if they were just pisstaking I'd judge them a bit. :o

Id take it as funny as in a bit strange...

A girl I used to work with and am facebook friends with has a daughter with a rare, often fatal genetic condition. Naturally, she is friends with lots of other parents on fb with kids with the same condition but a lot of these friends don't have their privacy settings as high as they should do meaning every time she comments or likes their posts they appear in my news feed.

I get that they are sharing their children's conditions with others who understand for support but it just boggles me the pictures they post of their kids and what kinds of conditions they are in in them, especially given they haven't changed their settings so only friends can see them and not "friends of friends"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

bp wrote: »

I'm sometimes iffy whether he's genuinely sick or faking just so he can get medicine :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

My daughter doesnt mind calpol or nurofen but as she is allergic to penicillin has to take an absolutely horrible (even the smell) antibiotic.
    She hates it.
    So we put it in 2 yogurts. Wel stirred in only 2.5ml in each. Thats in the morning then in the evening we mix it in mashed rusk.
    Only way

Neyite wrote: »
    Funny as in 'Haha look at my little zonked baby' or funny as in weird?

I'd be charitable and attribute it to the coping mechanism of a worried parent trying to take their mind off their kid getting an operation, but if they were just pisstaking I'd judge them a bit. :o

I think its a coping mechanism alright. ..its definitely not a pee take or poking fun at the kid. But it just seems a bit personal.

Woshy wrote: »
    A girl I used to work with and am facebook friends with has a daughter with a rare, often fatal genetic condition. Naturally, she is friends with lots of other parents on fb with kids with the same condition but a lot of these friends don't have their privacy settings as high as they should do meaning every time she comments or likes their posts they appear in my news feed.

I get that they are sharing their children's conditions with others who understand for support but it just boggles me the pictures they post of their kids and what kinds of conditions they are in in them, especially given they haven't changed their settings so only friends can see them and not "friends of friends"

I can understand supporting each other with similar illnesses. ...and I'm a real fb head...but a pic going in before an op seemed a bit...vulnerable or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I've had to do a quick syringe into the mouth while pinning the baby's arms down, its not pleasant. :(. Just expel it into the cheek, or to the side, not the back of the throat and have a bottle or soother ready to 'plug' in so they forget to spit it back out.

If you are on your own, then a secure swaddle in a towel trapping their arms down will help prevent them from wiggling around on you and keep your hands free to give the medicine.

And lots of cuddles afterwards.

Exactly what I do lol

I can understand supporting each other with similar illnesses. ...and I'm a real fb head...but a pic going in before an op seemed a bit...vulnerable or something?

I don't find it funny at all and I'm all about inappropriare humour. I wouldn't like it done to me therefore given the opportunity to do it to someone else I wouldn't child or not!

Yea I agree. I don't really like it if I'm honest... I don't feel it's right for the child's sake.

I don't find it funny at all and I'm all about inappropriare humour. I wouldn't like it done to me therefore given the opportunity to do it to someone else I wouldn't child or not!

That's exactly my thinking. A different friend on fb put a post up of her partner post op last year that I though was equally disturbing. ..but at least he could take it up with her if he didn't like it.

Im friends with strange people it seems :D

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Yea I agree. I don't really like it if I'm honest... I don't feel it's right for the child's sake.

Yeah its not nice. Im just hoping there's no scar pics afterwards! !!

That's exactly my thinking. A different friend on fb put a post up of her partner post op last year that I though was equally disturbing. ..but at least he could take it up with her if he didn't like it.

Im friends with strange people it seems :D

I took a postoperative picture of my husband last year. He was in one of those awful hospital gowns with no back so you could see his jocks (lol)... I wouldn't put it up on Facebook tho... I just keep it to bribe him if I need anything.... ;)

• Advertisement

I have a pic of my husband's face just after surgery to get his wisdom teeth out. It's hilarious - his face is so swollen he looks like a morbidly obese version of himself! I'd also never put it on fb but it's great to have :D

You pair of nutters lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Every flipping hour we're awake here :(

loubian wrote: »

I know the feeling. Sitting at my desk here about to start work :-P I figure if the kids have me up anyway may aswell start at 6 and finish early. The joys! Hope you get some sleep soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

loubian wrote: »

An hour seems blissful after the tag teaming teething duo I had here last night: both in my bed since 12, both with neurofen and Calgel: no sooner had I one asleep than the other one woke. And the two year old kept hitting me in the head with the tv remote wanting cartoons. So glad it's morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Loubian I think your daughter is the same age as mine and we seem to be going through a temporary reprieve from teething. It was a combination of the bottom molars coming right up and the top eye teeth getting ready to come through. We medicated her every night with calpol and nurofen sometimes starting in the afternoon because if she woke during the night in pain she wouldn't be able to settle back to sleep at all. I remember doing the same with my son and feeling guilty about it but once those eye teeth cut he didn't really ever have calpol or nurofen again unless he had a temperature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I was a bit worried about my 14 month old for the last few month or so because he keeps holding his head and touching his ears. His eye teeth and first molars are just through so figured it was to do with that.
    Well it has become apparent in the last week that he is learning the moves from Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

livinsane wrote: »
    I was a bit worried about my 14 month old for the last few month or so because he keeps holding his head and touching his ears. His eye teeth and first molars are just through so figured it was to do with that.
    Well it has become apparent in the last week that he is learning the moves from Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes!

Ha that just made me choke on my tea!

livinsane wrote: »

What a cutie!

• Advertisement

cyning wrote: »
    An hour seems blissful after the tag teaming teething duo I had here last night: both in my bed since 12, both with neurofen and Calgel: no sooner had I one asleep than the other one woke. And the two year old kept hitting me in the head with the tv remote wanting cartoons. So glad it's morning

Mine usually sleep great but my little one has an awful cough the last week and no ones getting any sleep. My boss just told me eyes are very red. You know it's bad when other ppl are telling you look tired ha ha roll on Xmas break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

When does teething start? My 10 wks old has started dribbling this past 2 wks approx and constantly eats hos hand. Otherwise seems Ok but for very disrupted sleep last nite. Not crying but mooching. Wasn't always for a feed either/nappy. May have slept too much yesterday -practically slept 20/24 hrs approx. Now sleep gone haywire!

73trix wrote: »
    When does teething start? My 10 wks old has started dribbling this past 2 wks approx and constantly eats hos hand. Otherwise seems Ok but for very disrupted sleep last nite. Not crying but mooching. Wasn't always for a feed either/nappy. May have slept too much yesterday -practically slept 20/24 hrs approx. Now sleep gone haywire!

My lad started teething symptoms at 12 weeks. Didnt get his first tooth until 5 months though.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

My lad started teething symptoms at 12 weeks. Didnt get his first tooth until 5 months though.

Mine was the exact same as this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

^^^ Mine too except it started around 8 weeks and the tooth didn't show up until 6 months.... We've gone through a LOT of bibs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Mine is the opposite ... eleven months old and no teeth yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

My child doesn't want to be anywhere near me for the last three days. I don't know what to do. If I try put her to bed, she just screams n I'm the only one who can put her to bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

I've read somewhere that unless accompanied by other teething symptoms, that is just them discovering their hands and then sucking on them cos of sucking reflex. What I can't tell though is if he's happy sucking on his fist or if it means he's hungry. I'm taking it as hunger even though it mightn't be.

The dribbling is just the salivary glands activating or something, unless accompanied by other teething signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My lad's first two popped up at 4 mths, and haven't bloody stopped! At 14 months he has 16 and more on the way :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

bean14 wrote: »

Use a syringe.
    At this stage my kids just open their mouths when they see it coming :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

nikpmup wrote: »
    My lad's first two popped up at 4 mths, and haven't bloody stopped! At 14 months he has 16 and more on the way :eek:

That's more than my almost 26mths old has, he only has 12 and the 12th is a very recent addition. Be glad you're getting it over it ;)

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    That's more than my almost 26mths old has, he only has 12 and the 12th is a very recent addition. Be glad you're getting it over it ;)

I agree! Both mine had a mouth full of delph by the time they were one and it was great to be over it so quickly. I heard somewhere before (can't remember if it was a reliable source or not lol) that teething gels can harden the gums and make the process go on longer than necessary. Don't know how true it is now but I used teetha sachets just to be on the safe side lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

My 13 month is walking since just before her first birthday. When I enquired about getting her shoes I was advised to wait until she was walking a few weeks. Got her measured at the weekend and got her first little pair of shoes. She hates them!!! She sits on the ground crying and poking at them. Anyone have this. I'm currently putting them on her for a little while each day in the hopes she'll just accept them. She was getting too dangerous running around slipping and sliding in her socks.

Roesy wrote: »
    My 13 month is walking since just before her first birthday. When I enquired about getting her shoes I was advised to wait until she was walking a few weeks. Got her measured at the weekend and got her first little pair of shoes. She hates them!!! She sits on the ground crying and poking at them. Anyone have this. I'm currently putting them on her for a little while each day in the hopes she'll just accept them. She was getting too dangerous running around slipping and sliding in her socks.

Would you get her a little pair of the moccasin socks to get her used to something slightly harder on the foot. Mine wear them around the house and they are great for at the very least stopping slips. Boots always do lovely Mickey and Minnie Mouse ones

Maybe try her with slippers? They'll be softer and easier to forget but provide grips on the floor.

When my lad went into meltdown mode about his sandals, I used to put them on him when napping, he wouldn't realise for ages after he woke up that he was wearing them.

I have never had a rant about a shop online before but I can't let this go. I was in smyths in blanchardstown last night and I left feeling very annoyed. Apart from the staff being totally rude (I get it. It's Xmas and they are busy) they were playing Adrian Kennedy loudly all over the shop. There were kids in the shop and they were hearing angry adults
    Ranting and raving about a violent man and I heard the b word more than once. I just felt it was wildly inappropriate listening in a very busy toy shop. I'm literally disgusted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I have never had a rant about a shop online before but I can't let this go. I was in smyths in blanchardstown last night and I left feeling very annoyed. Apart from the staff being totally rude (I get it. It's Xmas and they are busy) they were playing Adrian Kennedy loudly all over the shop. There were kids in the shop and they were hearing angry adults
    Ranting and raving about a violent man and I heard the b word more than once. I just felt it was wildly inappropriate listening in a very busy toy shop. I'm literally disgusted

I detest that place - bar the odd few the staff leave a lot to be desired. Complain in writing to the manager - might get a voucher out if it!

nikpmup wrote: »
    I detest that place - bar the odd few the staff leave a lot to be desired. Complain in writing to the manager - might get a voucher out if it!

Ha ha I don't think I would even bother. I feel I would be met with the same ignorance I was met with when I approached someone with a simple question with hundreds of euro worth of toys in a trolley and was basically told where to go! Id love to boycott them but when you have kids it's hard to commit to that lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Smyths are the absolute worst and they don't give a toss about losing business because outside of Dublin, they practically have the monopoly on toy shopping in Ireland :mad:

A few years back, I was secretary of our sports and social club at work. We had always had an agreement in place with Smyths that we would buy all of the presents for our kids Christmas party (spending between 4-5 grand every year depending on numbers) from them and in return, they would give us a small discount of 5% and allow us to pay buy cheque. I think it was a standard agreement that they had with a lot of companies who shopped there. Anyways, this year we rang them in advance to let them know we were coming and a gang of us arrived out and filled all of our trolleys as per usual. We went to the checkout and told the girl we what company we were with etc, she scanned everything through and when we gave her the cheque and she went to get the manager to clear it, he came out and told us in no uncertain terms that they were no longer giving the discount and that they wouldn't accept the cheque :mad: Having gotten no prior warning of this and having spent the bones of 3 hours in the shop we were seriously unimpressed. He (a young fella in a cheap suit with a horrible attitude) was refusing point blank to entertain us.

Eventually, after half an hour of arguing and threatening to leave the shop and abandon the 30 trolleys of stuff that had already been scanned (he threatened to ring the guards if we did that, whatever they were going to do about it :pac:), he finally agreed to accept the cheque but still wouldn't give the discount. We paid and left him with the parting message that we wouldn't be shopping there next year and his a response was to laugh at us and say "Well good luck finding somewhere else that stocks the same range of products".

We have shopped in Argos every year since :D

I wrote a stinking complaint letter to them and got a standard f off "Sorry but we no longer give the company discount and we were never obliged to take cheques" reply. We wouldn't have minded half as much if they had let us know in advance but to allow us turn up and fill the trolleys and then get treated like criminals by a jumped up little shít of a manager, it was dreadful of them :mad:

Smyths are the absolute worst and they don't give a toss about losing business because outside of Dublin, they practically have the monopoly on toy shopping in Ireland :mad:

A few years back, I was secretary of our sports and social club at work. We had always had an agreement in place with Smyths that we would buy all of the presents for our kids Christmas party (spending between 4-5 grand every year depending on numbers) from them and in return, they would give us a small discount of 5% and allow us to pay buy cheque. I think it was a standard agreement that they had with a lot of companies who shopped there. Anyways, this year we rang them in advance to let them know we were coming and a gang of us arrived out and filled all of our trolleys as per usual. We went to the checkout and told the girl we what company we were with etc, she scanned everything through and when we gave her the cheque and she went to get the manager to clear it, he came out and told us in no uncertain terms that they were no longer giving the discount and that they wouldn't accept the cheque :mad: Having gotten no prior warning of this and having spent the bones of 3 hours in the shop we were seriously unimpressed. He (a young fella in a cheap suit with a horrible attitude) was refusing point blank to entertain us.

Eventually, after half an hour of arguing and threatening to leave the shop and abandon the 30 trolleys of stuff that had already been scanned (he threatened to ring the guards if we did that, whatever they were going to do about it :pac:), he finally agreed to accept the cheque but still wouldn't give the discount. We paid and left him with the parting message that we wouldn't be shopping there next year and his a response was to laugh at us and say "Well good luck finding somewhere else that stocks the same range of products".

We have shopped in Argos every year since :D

I wrote a stinking complaint letter to them and got a standard f off "Sorry but we no longer give the company discount and we were never obliged to take cheques" reply. We wouldn't have minded half as much if they had let us know in advance but to allow us turn up and fill the trolleys and then get treated like criminals by a jumped up little shít of a manager, it was dreadful of them :mad:

This does not surprise me in the least. Absolute Jerks! How can morale be so low in a toy shop of all places...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

We paid and left him with the parting message that we wouldn't be shopping there next year and his a response was to laugh at us and say "Well good luck finding somewhere else that stocks the same range of products"

Was that in Limerick? There is a big World of Wonder a few minutes walk away from Smyths, on the Dublin Rd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement