Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

margo321 wrote: »
    Any tips to make vaccine less painful for baby? My two month old had her vaccine yesterday and was hysterical the poor baby.

There is a suggestion that giving a sugary drink a few minutes before can make the baby feel less pain. Obviously that's not suitable for a small baby and IMO it's a bad habit for older babies. But it is in the HSE vaccination information.

My little one has had 3 sets of vaccines now. She screams hysterically for 10 seconds then by the time I'm dressing her up again she's smiling away at me and the nurse. So I don't worry about the pain. Yes it's horrible to see the shock on their face and hear them cry but it's so short lived I don't think it needs any intervention in our case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

margo321 wrote: »
    Any tips to make vaccine less painful for baby? My two month old had her vaccine yesterday and was hysterical the poor baby.

Have a bottle/boob at the ready. It doesn't make it less painful obviously, but will give them immediate comfort. As soon as the needle goes in put
    Bottle/boob in their mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

So the house had fallen victim to the dreaded hand foot and mouth. My sons behaviour has been absolutely atrocious. I hope to god it's just because he isn't feeling himself! SAVE ME JEBUS! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MSC11hLbM1w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

So the house had fallen victim to the dreaded hand foot and mouth. My sons behaviour has been absolutely atrocious. I hope to god it's just because he isn't feeling himself! SAVE ME JEBUS! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MSC11hLbM1w
    Ah we had this 3 times last year, he was uber-cranky with it.
    Best of luck to ye!

Ah we had this 3 times last year, he was uber-cranky with it.
    Best of luck to ye!

Oh god it better not come back. The whining is a chore. I ask him if he wants a drink and all I get is the whining scale. I do feel awful for him but it's testing my patience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Oh god it better not come back. The whining is a chore. I ask him if he wants a drink and all I get is the whining scale. I do feel awful for him but it's testing my patience!

Oh I hate when they're like that, you're torn between wanting to strangle them & cuddle them :P

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Oh I hate when they're like that, you're torn between wanting to strangle them & cuddle them :P

I think he is coming good now. He looked for 2 apples today and hasn't has one in well over a week. Praise The Lord!

Starting back at work next week.... Feel a little sick inside...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I'm after getting a job Sligo am starting Mon week I'm dreading it :(

cyning wrote: »
    I'm after getting a job Sligo am starting Mon week I'm dreading it :(

I only got word today and don't even have childcare sorted! Im only going back 2 days per week and only need a childminder for 1 day per week... But it's making me feel ill. What are you going to do for childcare cyning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Grrrr. Sometimes i wonder about my children...three year old switched on his little electric Thomas the Tank train, went for a poo in the potty, and then dropped the train, still running, IN in the potty. Poo everywhere, toy ruined, and when I asked him why he did it, he said "because I wanted to". :mad:

I mean, seriously, WTF?

O forgot to say congratulations cyning!

I'm trying to find a childminder because the thoughts of S in a crèche makes me sick to my stomach! And I think C would be better in a crèche. It's proving really difficult to find someone but meeting someone else Tues or else it will be crèche.

I'm trying to find a childminder because the thoughts of S in a crèche makes me sick to my stomach! And I think C would be better in a crèche. It's proving really difficult to find someone but meeting someone else Tues or else it will be crèche.

Good luck. Hope you find someone nice that you can trust. I've put an advert up in rollercoaster. I wouldn't know where else to look ...

Does anyone have a recommendation for a universal footmuff? My mamas and papas buggy doesn't have a specific corresponding one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I have an uppababy vista and bought the mothercare brand one last year. It fits fine so I'd imagine it's the same for other buggies and it was a lot cheaper than other brands. It's fleece as opposed to quilted if you know what I mean though.

I can't see it online on their website but maybe they have them in store. I think it was only about 40euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

We also have the uppababy vista and we got a footmuff from baby Elegance - it does the job! As far as I know footmuffs are a fairly generic fit, you don't need to get one specific to your buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Got our footmuff from buggy snuggle. Baby elegance and the likes weren't long enough for my tall baba. Cute patterns and loads of room for growth spurts!

Actually, speaking of our uppababy vista, we're having a problem with it. The seat won't unclip from the frame at the moment, it's jammed on one side. We bought it in Tony Kealy about 18 months ago. Does anyone have any experience taking a buggy into them after that amount of time? I can't even remember what the warranty etc is on it but we want to take it back for them to take a look at.

• Advertisement

cant26 wrote: »
    Got our footmuff from buggy snuggle. Baby elegance and the likes weren't long enough for my tall baba. Cute patterns and loads of room for growth spurts!

Yeah from the pics online some of them seem to have a very short enclosed area. I have a long baby too so that's definitely an issue to watch for. Thanks for the tip, I'll look up that crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Woshy wrote: »
    Actually, speaking of our uppababy vista, we're having a problem with it. The seat won't unclip from the frame at the moment, it's jammed on one side. We bought it in Tony Kealy about 18 months ago. Does anyone have any experience taking a buggy into them after that amount of time? I can't even remember what the warranty etc is on it but we want to take it back for them to take a look at.

It's definitely worth phoning to see what they say, I hear their customer service is excellent.

It's definitely worth phoning to see what they say, I hear their customer service is excellent.

Yeah, they have been good in the past although they were a bit all over the place when we ordered the buggy (they ordered the wrong colour and had the delivery date as a month after my due date, not the month before). They did sort it though. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see. Hopefully they can just fix it there!

Does anyone know if the antilop high chair in ikea is discontinued? Only the table part is listed on the website, not the actual chair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the antilop high chair in ikea is discontinued? Only the table part is listed on the website, not the actual chair!

I don't think so - it's still on the UK website, maybe Dublin is just out of stock

I'm just home from ikea - they were still for sale definitely :) now whether they had them in stock in the warehouse part you collect them from I don't know but they were on display as usual.

• Advertisement

I'm just home from ikea - they were still for sale definitely :) now whether they had them in stock in the warehouse part you collect them from I don't know but they were on display as usual.

Thank you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Tony kelYs would definitely take a look at it anyway. Give them a call!

Tony kelYs would definitely take a look at it anyway. Give them a call!

We went in today - their repair guy doesn't do uppababy strollers so it has to be sent away, meaning we'll be without it. We're going on holidays on Saturday and they can't guarantee it will be ready by then so we'll have to wait. So annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

for some reason they are not on te website but they are definitely still for sale

Rough night last night, L woke up howling crying at 10.30, went in and he had puked all over himself and the bed. Got him out and washed and re-dressed, bed was destroyed so set up the foldup bed in our room. First though, brought him into our bed for a cuddle and he puked all over us and our bed.

He didn't get sick again but didn't really sleep because I was afraid he get sick again.

He hasn't been sick today but he's complaining of a sore tummy, poor thing.

• Advertisement

We went in today - their repair guy doesn't do uppababy strollers so it has to be sent away, meaning we'll be without it. We're going on holidays on Saturday and they can't guarantee it will be ready by then so we'll have to wait. So annoying!

Did they not have a replacement you cpuld borrow while your one is getting fixed? Might be worth asking? Mothercare gave us a stroller when they sent ours ours away. Was a pretty crap one but did the job.

Rough night last night, L woke up howling crying at 10.30, went in and he had puked all over himself and the bed. Got him out and washed and re-dressed, bed was destroyed so set up the foldup bed in our room. First though, brought him into our bed for a cuddle and he puked all over us and our bed.

He didn't get sick again but didn't really sleep because I was afraid he get sick again.

He hasn't been sick today but he's complaining of a sore tummy, poor thing.

That awful bug is everywhere! Hope he's feeling better soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Poor little guy Ivy. I hope he's better soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

My newborn slept for 6 hours last night!! Woohoo. Zombie no more !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Lashes28 wrote: »
    My newborn slept for 6 hours last night!! Woohoo. Zombie no more !!!

Jealous. My 9 mnth old didnt do that.
    Wel he did. But not 6 hrs straight

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Good luck. Hope you find someone nice that you can trust. I've put an advert up in rollercoaster. I wouldn't know where else to look ...

Any luck yet Sligo? I'm meeting someone else Tues so fingers crossed

Did they not have a replacement you cpuld borrow while your one is getting fixed? Might be worth asking? Mothercare gave us a stroller when they sent ours ours away. Was a pretty crap one but did the job.

We actually didn't even ask. We're going away to the snow and I'm 5 months pregnant so I wouldn't be comfortable with a buggy that wasn't as sturdy as I'm used to. We do own a light travel one but we'd specifically hired a bigger car so we could bring the bigger, proper buggy, given that I'll be pushing him through snow and things.

My family will be skiing during the day and as I'm pregnant I can't so plan on bringing the baba up the mountain in the gondola to meet them for lunch and stuff. I just wouldn't feel safe doing it in a borrowed buggy that maybe wasn't up to scratch!

We actually didn't even ask. We're going away to the snow and I'm 5 months pregnant so I wouldn't be comfortable with a buggy that wasn't as sturdy as I'm used to. We do own a light travel one but we'd specifically hired a bigger car so we could bring the bigger, proper buggy, given that I'll be pushing him through snow and things.

My family will be skiing during the day and as I'm pregnant I can't so plan on bringing the baba up the mountain in the gondola to meet them for lunch and stuff. I just wouldn't feel safe doing it in a borrowed buggy that maybe wasn't up to scratch!

Yea ur right there. Best to bring your own so. But perhaps when you get back coils be an option of u need a replacement. Enjoy ur holiday :)

Any luck yet Sligo? I'm meeting someone else Tues so fingers crossed

I got a load of emails cyning but none that really stood out to me of im honest. Maybe I'm being too picky? There are a lot of nice young foreign girls replying. But tbh, I would prefer someone a little bit older with experience. What's the person like that you are meeting? Have you specified any essential characteristics? I haven't a clue about all this?
    Lol

She's an older lady: I just started ringing childminders friends use and got referred on when they were full. I really hope she suits it's so hard to find someone: I need someone competent who can give S her meds and who won't leave them sitting in front of tv all day and who won't leave S to cry if she's having trouble napping. And who won't mind her feeding herself either! And I have so little time... I was half thinking if S stops getting sick to put them in crèche come the summer but I guess we will see!

• Advertisement

Yea ur right there. Best to bring your own so. But perhaps when you get back coils be an option of u need a replacement. Enjoy ur holiday :)

I'll certainly ask them. We'd probably get away with using his trike or the travel buggy if I really needed it. Hopefully it will only be for a few days!

While we were in Tomy kealy's we looked at the additional seat to turn it into a double buggy but we're not convinced by it. My little boy will be just almost 2 when the new baba arrives so I'm torn as to what the best option is!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Just a mini rant about etiquette on public maternity wards, I couldn't believe how noisy it is & how much disregard others have for patients & the newborn babies. A few quiet visits during normal hours is understandable but bringing groups of family/friends during the whole day for lengthy loud chats really is not on. If anyone is due soon I would advise to go private if you can at all afford it, I've been in quieter pubs during the boom years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

EF wrote: »
    Just a mini rant about etiquette on public maternity wards, I couldn't believe how noisy it is & how much disregard others have for patients & the newborn babies. A few quiet visits during normal hours is understandable but bringing groups of family/friends during the whole day for lengthy loud chats really is not on. If anyone is due soon I would advise to go private if you can at all afford it, I've been in quieter pubs during the boom years

What hospital is this? The coombe is rigid on visiting policy and hours, have to say I like that personally

What hospital is this? The coombe is rigid on visiting policy and hours, have to say I like that personally

St Luke's in Kilkenny. I can't fault the midwives & staff in terms of their care but visiting seems to be a free for all unfortunately there. There is a visiting policy alright but it is not enforced

St Luke's in Kilkenny. I can't fault the midwives & staff in terms of their care but visiting seems to be a free for all unfortunately there. There is a visiting policy alright but it is not enforced

That's frustrating Id say. The coombe run one visitors pass for daytime (outside of rest periods). Children may only visit for an hour in the afternoon. Only one extra person is allowed visit during visiting hours (so max of two per person during visiting). Security check the wards and check passes downstairs

That's frustrating Id say. The coombe run one visitors pass for daytime (outside of rest periods). Children may only visit for an hour in the afternoon. Only one extra person is allowed visit during visiting hours (so max of two per person during visiting). Security check the wards and check passes downstairs

That sounds like a great system alright. Needless to say the blood pressure checks always came back slightly high for us! :)

That sounds like a great system alright. Needless to say the blood pressure checks always came back slightly high for us! :)

Id say-doesn't sound like fun tbh! It's a little restrictive perhaps but completely understandable with new babies etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

How many people are on a ward? If it is a 6 bed then there are 12 visitors. I wouldn't of liked that especially just after having the baby. Holles street only allow 1 person who has a card. I don't know if it's enforced or not as I did domino.

Millem wrote: »
    How many people are on a ward? If it is a 6 bed then there are 12 visitors. I wouldn't of liked that especially just after having the baby. Holles street only allow 1 person who has a card. I don't know if it's enforced or not as I did domino.

It's 6 on the prenatal wards anyways (haven't had my baby yet!) but the hours are very limited for the two people

• Advertisement

L got sick again yesterday after we gave him some dry bread for his lunch. He didn't get sick during the night but he didn't really have anything to get sick with.

I'm keeping him home from the creche today just to be on the safe side.

Advertisement