Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

They're so hit n miss tho, ours is available by phone for half an hour a day, during which she's usually not in, or if she is she doesn't answer the flipping phone. No answer phone either, so if you miss her one day you'll be waiting another :mad: it's impossible to get hold of her, but when you do, she's no great help either, unfortunately.

It's such a shame it varies so much across the country, i've heard great things about phns in other areas :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Completely off topic. do any of you look at boards on your phone. I noticed a few days ago that its like the app isnt working properly . it used to fit the post to the screen but now i have to scroll across and back to read it. then scroll down. also it used to bring me to the last post i read on a thread so i could continue from there but now its bringing me to the beginning of each thread . which is so annoying.
    sorry to be OT but this is the main forum i look at or post in so no idea where else to post.
    Has this happened to anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Sligo1 wrote: »
    O I hope she's not getting sick again! :(. Well at least C is settling in well. My 12 hrs shift ended up being a 13 hr shift. I'm so tired. Im usually giving out about being at home all day but I just can't wait to spend tomorrow with T and L. I was gone this morning before they woke and I'm only home now and they in bed. Cant wait to c them tomorrow. X

OMG that sounds like a rotten day. I have recently started going to work for 6 so I can see them in the evenings. The constant balancing is the pits!

Oh sligo i didnt even know you were back to work. (stupid phone, ive obviously missed pages of posts)
    Hope your settling back ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Sligo! Was only thinking of you today! Cant believe you're back in work already. Hope it's all going OK xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Ah thanks everybody :). I'm feeling very loved by ye all :). I'm lucky it's only a couple days a week so it could be worse. Work starts at 7.30am and finishes at 8pm. But at least I have the rest of the week off. Just had an exam for a post grad I'm doing in college so just in the door. Thank God it's over!

Suucee i always use my phone for boards but haven't been having any problems. Perhaps delete the app (if that's what your using?) and install it again?

just done exactly that. looks ok now. different than it was before but better than what id been experiencing. kept missing loads of pages . oh cant believe your back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Anyone know the best websites for finding a childminder in Dublin? I've an ad up on Rollercoaster, and even though I received loads of replies, there were only two "genuine" replies (from childminders in the area who'd actually read my ad), and the location of one of them isn't ideal. So I'm just hoping the other one will work out. Are there better websites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Anyone know the best websites for finding a childminder in Dublin? I've an ad up on Rollercoaster, and even though I received loads of replies, there were only two "genuine" replies (from childminders in the area who'd actually read my ad), and the location of one of them isn't ideal. So I'm just hoping the other one will work out. Are there better websites?

I used rollercoaster and school days. According to my minder there is a section on rollercoaster where minders put their ad up, so maybe you could check there?
    Oh no, is the creche not working out?

Also there are a list of registered minders on the childminding ireland website.

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    I used rollercoaster and school days. According to my minder there is a section on rollercoaster where minders put their ad up, so maybe you could check there?
    Oh no, is the creche not working out?

Ah the creche is great, and he's very happy and settled there. But he keeps getting sick, and we have no one close by to take him at short notice. And we can't keep taking days off work. He woke up with conjunctivitis the other morning, so we've had to send him to his grandparents on the other side of the country for the week ... it's only Monday and I miss him so much already. :( Plus of course we still have to pay the creche for all the time off, which kills me!

We're meeting a woman next weekend who seems perfect, hopefully it'll work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Ah the creche is great, and he's very happy and settled there. But he keeps getting sick, and we have no one close by to take him at short notice. And we can't keep taking days off work. He woke up with conjunctivitis the other morning, so we've had to send him to his grandparents on the other side of the country for the week ... it's only Monday and I miss him so much already. :( Plus of course we still have to pay the creche for all the time off, which kills me!

Omg that is terrible :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Just to note some childminders will have restrictions on sickness also, especially if they have their own kids. Though they wouldn't be as strict as the creche normally. Mine won't take babs for the first 24 hours of antibiotic treatment in cases of contagious illness. So I'd never have to take more than a single day off work. And normal colds, bugs etc aren't a problem for her thankfully.

My childminder is brilliant. The only issue she has is vomiting which is totally understandable. Childminders develop a relationship with your kids aswell so it's like a home away from home. Good luck with the search :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Alot of what you mention above will pass. We struggled so much with illness in the first year...several bouts of conjunctivitis and lots of chest infections. It has levelled out now and I have to admit that he loves that creche. I love the way they section out the day to focus on non-cognitive and cognitive skills. at least once a week, we get something he made sent home. He runs into his little friends most mornings. A childminder would be easier if we had more than one child and there's pre-school and school but I do think that many creches can be instrumental in moulding your childs early motor skills and imagination.

Regardless I hope the childminder or whatever you chose to do works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Random question - is lemon gender neutral enough for a baby blanket? It's this one here with slightly lace pattern.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lacy-shawl-3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

kandr10 wrote: »
    Random question - is lemon gender neutral enough for a baby blanket? It's this one here with slightly lace pattern.

I have lots of lemon for my (due) boy so Id be saying yes

I have lots of lemon for my (due) boy so Id be saying yes

Thanks for that :) I think it's lovely especially in cardigans.

kandr10 wrote: »

I would definitely say lemon is gender neutral. The blankets look lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I know I've seen it here somewhere before but can any of ye recommend a good website for thank you cards??

Lashes28 wrote: »
    I know I've seen it here somewhere before but can any of ye recommend a good website for thank you cards??

Photobox and vistaprint are great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've used vistaprint for our wedding invites, thank you cards, baby thank you cards and 1st birthday invites. I'd definitely recommend them as their site is easy to use and if you buy enough the first time they are very reasonably priced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

We didn't get as far as putting up an ad as we luckily found someone through friends but we were contemplating putting the ad on Facebook because if we found someone, it would likely be a friend of a friend/acquaintance and easier to get a character reference. Might that work for ye?

Just came accross this. Very good but I'm now scared by how emotional I got at the end ha ha http://www.herfamily.ie/parenthood/watch-the-breast-police-and-helicopter-mums-fight-it-out/210972

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Does anyone know if a creche wwould take a child with conjunctivitis? Or does every creche differ? N wwould I need to bring her to the doc or can I get something in the pharmacy? Thanks!

loubian wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a creche wwould take a child with conjunctivitis? Or does every creche differ? N wwould I need to bring her to the doc or can I get something in the pharmacy? Thanks!

Most crèches won't take kids with conjunctivitis. In my experience (which has been alot!), go to the gp early and get an antibiotic. Brolene which you get in the chemist is useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Most creches won't, it's horrendously contagious. I know this as someone in my daughters room had it and despite us keeping her off when she was symptomatic it reoccurred for over 12 weeks :(

Not offering medical advice, but over the counter drops might work. It's an absolute pain but should clear in 2-3 days, lots of washing with cotton wool and warm water, inner to outer eye

Thanks! I'll keep her off just in case and bring her to the doc.

Thanks! I'll keep her off just in case and bring her to the doc.

As rentdayblues said, keep cleaning her eyes and don't let her rub them too much as she's just transferring it between eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

So what do we think about letting a toodler sleep on the floor - getting out of bed and falling asleep - let them be or move into bed (which wakes them up at least half the time)

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

bp wrote: »
    So what do we think about letting a toodler sleep on the floor - getting out of bed and falling asleep - let them be or move into bed (which wakes them up at least half the time)

Would a bed rail be any good or do they just scoot around it? Do you have their old cot mattress you could leave on the floor, that way, if they do fall asleep on the floor, it just might be on that.

• Advertisement

Yep have the guard but after one day figured out how to get around it! Matress and blankets on the floor - usually ends up in the wooden floor though!! Hoping they will figure it out over time?? Bed comfortable floor not so much???

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I suppose extra fleecy pyjamas so they don't get cold, and transfer them back to the bed when you can is all you can do until this phase passes. Maybe get a good thick rug too might help?

Neyite wrote: »
    I suppose extra fleecy pyjamas so they don't get cold, and transfer them back to the bed when you can is all you can do until this phase passes. Maybe get a good thick rug too might help?

Good idea - thanks

So bubs has tonsillitis and conjunctivitis :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

So bubs has tonsillitis and conjunctivitis :(

Oh no, just as well you went to the doc. Poor little thing, hope she feels better soon

I think my baby may have mini-measles after getting the MMR just under two weeks ago. High temperature, sleepy and cranky, no rash yet (apparently they don't always get a rash though.) HSE booklet just says calpol and fluids etc, doesn't give much more info on it. Anyone else's baby get this?

Yep, got it here too but was never told it could happen. Rushed down to go like a lunatic (rash and all), was fine within a day or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I think my baby may have mini-measles after getting the MMR just under two weeks ago. High temperature, sleepy and cranky, no rash yet (apparently they don't always get a rash though.) HSE booklet just says calpol and fluids etc, doesn't give much more info on it. Anyone else's baby get this?

Yeah, my lad had a very high temp and was sick for a week or so. No rash though. Calpol, neurofen, fluids and TLC.

Yep, got it here too but was never told it could happen. Rushed down to go like a lunatic (rash and all), was fine within a day or two

Well I rang the nurse who gave him the injections, she had never heard of mini-measles and said if he was going to have any reaction he'd have had it on the day of the injection. Not impressed with her lack of knowledge! Anyways creche haven't rang yet, so no news is good news I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Hi guys does anyone have a link to the babywearing thread I can't seem to find it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Weird leap to the "absolutely not a baby anymore" point last night for me. She's 2.5 in April.
    Mummy was working the evening so Daddy was flying solo for the evening. Went down to the shops, and could hear her whispering to herself in the back of the car. After a few seconds it became clear she was singing the Paw Patrol theme tune to herself :D

Popped her into bed and rather than whinging or crying when she wants something, she now just calls out, "Daddy! DADDDY!!".

Once because, "I want a cuddle to say night-night".

Once because one of her teddies "fell" out of the cot

Once because, "I need a tissue". When I said, "OK, I'll get you one", "No! I want to come with you". Cheeky madam.

Once because, "I have something in my eye".

Once because, "I want my soother". When I asked her where it was; "Here in my hand, hehe".

I'd actually take this a million times over the pacing the floors that you do with a baby trying to rock them off to sleep :( but it seemed to happen so suddenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Laughed out loud through that post and exploded in laughter when I read the part about the soother in the child's hand!

Hi guys does anyone have a link to the babywearing thread I can't seem to find it :confused:

Here you go.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057221301/1/#post90639825

Has your little one made an appearance yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

bean14 wrote: »
    Laughed out loud through that post and exploded in laughter when I read the part about the soother in the child's hand!

Ditto!

Well I rang the nurse who gave him the injections, she had never heard of mini-measles and said if he was going to have any reaction he'd have had it on the day of the injection. Not impressed with her lack of knowledge! Anyways creche haven't rang yet, so no news is good news I guess.

Got it two weeks later too - sister showed me the leaflet she got my the GP saying they may catch it two weeks later

• Advertisement

Got it two weeks later too - sister showed me the leaflet she got my the GP saying they may catch it two weeks later

Yeah the only reason I knew about it was from the HSE leaflets (which I do actually read) - that's why I was amazed the nurse didn't know! She's the GPs wife, and apart from being his receptionist, literally her only duty is the baby vaccinations. It says in the literature I got that mini-measles is a possible complication around ten days after vaccination, and she was saying she'd never heard of mini measles and any side effects would have happened within 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Here you go.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057221301/1/#post90639825

Has your little one made an appearance yet?

Thanks Sligo1 :D Mini Mrspostman arrived safe and sound last Friday evening :) I had been booked in for induction Friday morning but as I was getting out of the car in the maternity carpark, my contractions started by themselves! I was admitted to the labour ward at lunch time and when the doctor came down to give me the prostin gel, she discovered I was already 5cm dilated. Went to the delivery suite at around 3pm and the baby was born just before 6pm after only 9 minutes of pushing :D Totally different experience to my first labour, I used gas and air and hypnobirthing techniques to get through the contractions and thankfully was left with almost no pain or soreness afterwards. All loved up with my little lady at home now and trying to adjust to the mayhem of having 2 small demanding noisy ridiculously energetic children :) Don't think I've managed to actually finish a whole cup of tea since coming home!

I got a lovely cot quilt and pillow in IKEA yesterday for my 13 month old. I'd been planning on getting a sleeping bag, but turns out they only have 0-6 and 6-18 months, and he's almost outgrown the 6-18 month ones he has now.

What would you think from a safety point of view? He's insisted on sleeping on his tummy since he was old enough to roll. We've only used cellular blankets and then sleeping bags up until now.

He slept on the quilt rather than under the quilt last night (on his tummy), however the house was actually quite warm, so I guess it's a good thing that he can regulate his own temperature better than he could in a sleeping bag?

Or maybe we should stick to sleeping bags for another while - I know I could get bigger sizes in different brands if I wanted, he does seem a bit big for them though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I got a lovely cot quilt and pillow in IKEA yesterday for my 13 month old. I'd been planning on getting a sleeping bag, but turns out they only have 0-6 and 6-18 months, and he's almost outgrown the 6-18 month ones he has now.

What would you think from a safety point of view? He's insisted on sleeping on his tummy since he was old enough to roll. We've only used cellular blankets and then sleeping bags up until now.

He slept on the quilt rather than under the quilt last night (on his tummy), however the house was actually quite warm, so I guess it's a good thing that he can regulate his own temperature better than he could in a sleeping bag?

Or maybe we should stick to sleeping bags for another while - I know I could get bigger sizes in different brands if I wanted, he does seem a bit big for them though!

We were just thinking about this and our 15 month old. We've decided to stick with the sleeping bags for another while, solely for the reason that every time we put her into the cot without one she tries climbing out and isn't far off succeeding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Roesy wrote: »
    We were just thinking about this and our 15 month old. We've decided to stick with the sleeping bags for another while, solely for the reason that every time we put her into the cot without one she tries climbing out and isn't far off succeeding!

This ^^^ And the fact that he ends up upside down, sideways and arseways! He'd never stay under a quilt. At this stage as well, zipping him into his sleeping bag is part of his night time routine; he associates it with bedtime.
    You can get the grobag brand bags in tkmaxx fairly cheap, as well as other brands which look decent quality. I also picked up some grobag brand sleep suits with padded sleeves there, they were a godsend during the cold snap - the bedroom he's in can get fairly chilly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement