Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Conjunctivitis again here :(
    has anyone got any home remedies I can try until I can get a docs appt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

We moved to the cot duvet at 18 months and it's been great. He hated the grobags and how he gets excited going to bed and being tucked in. We found he sleeps better with it. I wouldn't have been comfortable doing it any earlier though - just in case. We got him a cot pillow at he same time too.

I think (like me) he gets too hot in his sleep and likes to be able to regulate his own temp. I always have to stick a foot out of the bed! I think that's why it helped him sleep better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

yellow hen wrote: »

Not offering medical advice, just what I do: I don't bother with doc for conjunctivitis, mine never wanted to prescribe anything. We use cotton wool and warm warm, and I find brolene drops amazing, totally helped clear it up. We had a 12 week period where my toddler repeatedly got it, and passed it to everyone in the house, including the cat! We did get prescription from doc that time, cat got same one from vet! My doc did say brolene was worth a try initially and has worked really well since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

we used gro bags until we moved her to bed at 17 mnths. she wouldnt keep duvet on then and was cold. so we got one of the 0-6 mnt gro bags cut 2 leg holes and put her in it in bed. that way when she climbed out she could walk around safely.
    anyway my now 10 mnth old weara these grobags now with the legs poking out so we just put blanket over. so saved us buying bigger gro bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

From 18 months we started using the duvet and pillow in our daughter's cot. When it got really cold we used to put a fleece sleepsuit over her pyjamas so she wouldn't be cold when she inevitably kicked the duvet off. She loved having the duvet pulled up over her.

Not offering medical advice, just what I do: I don't bother with doc for conjunctivitis, mine never wanted to prescribe anything. We use cotton wool and warm warm, and I find brolene drops amazing, totally helped clear it up. We had a 12 week period where my toddler repeatedly got it, and passed it to everyone in the house, including the cat! We did get prescription from doc that time, cat got same one from vet! My doc did say brolene was worth a try initially and has worked really well since

Thanks RDB, I found brolene useless before but maybe I was too late trying it. Got it this morning and gave it to him. I used saline last night and his eye wasnt too bad today. I sent him into creche anyway but I did tell them that it was a bit gooey last night so expecting a call any time soon.......:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

yellow hen wrote: »

Not sure how practical it would be for a toddler but when I went through a phase of recurrent conjunctivitus, someone recommended rinsing the eye out with an eye bath of Johnsons no more tears shampoo mixed 50/50 with cool boiled water. It used to work brilliantly for me but like I said, I don't know how you would manage it with a small wriggly child.

Thanks, will try in the morning. Defo not going with the Brolene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

My 18 month old has started hitting out. She hits everything - cupboards, tables includes and when I'm holding her, or someone else, she'll hit me in the face. I try to be stern with her but there's only so much she can understand - although she understands "no" alright. What can I do? I know more than likely it's just a phase though.

My little boy was the same at about 16/17 months - he was so rough with me and when he wanted me to do things for him (like open something or read a book) he was throwing things at me, in my face, very hard. I posted here about it and people said it would pass and it did. I'd tell him no and to be gentle but it wasn't going in. He just grew out of it. It lasted about 2 months I think. At the time I found it very tough because I was pregnant and very, very sick but it did pass.

Not much help to you now I know!

• Advertisement

Quick Question - my little boy will be 2 in June. Two people recently have asked me if I've put his name down for preschools. I want him to do his ecce year starting September 2016 but I hadn't even thought about where or that I'd need to put his name down.

Is it a bit mad for me to be ringing places now, 18 months in advance, or is that normal? I live in Bray, Co Wicklow so I'd say demand would be high enough (loads of families here with young kids) for good places but I'd feel a bit silly doing it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think it depends on where you live and how many places do the ecce scheme. We had no problem getting a place through our crèche. We filled in the forms in April last year and the crèche looked after everything.

It can't do any harm to ring around and ensuite about availability for 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Not sure how practical it would be for a toddler but when I went through a phase of recurrent conjunctivitus, someone recommended rinsing the eye out with an eye bath of Johnsons no more tears shampoo mixed 50/50 with cool boiled water. It used to work brilliantly for me but like I said, I don't know how you would manage it with a small wriggly child.
    Shampoo in their eyes?? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

loubian wrote: »
    My 18 month old has started hitting out. She hits everything - cupboards, tables includes and when I'm holding her, or someone else, she'll hit me in the face. I try to be stern with her but there's only so much she can understand - although she understands "no" alright. What can I do? I know more than likely it's just a phase though.

I'm no help unfortunately but I'm in the same position. My little one is 14 months and she's already started this. Slaps me in the face daily at the moment if she gets in anyway frustrated. I say no and she understands but simply doesn't seem to care!

I was taking it pretty personally cause she doesn't do it to daddy and will typically go to daddy when I say no (god they cop on quick!). I also wear glasses so now have a constant bruise between my eyes wear they slap into when she hits out. I'm finding it hurtful and tiring and frustrating. I know its a phase and I know its not against me personally but its hard to remember those things all the time. It does help to hear others are in the same boat though, misery loves company I suppose!

I think it depends on where you live and how many places do the ecce scheme. We had no problem getting a place through our crèche. We filled in the forms in April last year and the crèche looked after everything.

It can't do any harm to ring around and ensuite about availability for 2016.

Yeah, the one I like has an email too so I can do it that way and feel less like a pushy mother! Like I saud, there's loads of families with young kids around here so I could see there being a demand for places.

My little boy is home with me as well, so it's not like we have him in a crèche where we can easily sign him for an ECCE place because he already attends there which also makes me think there's no harm in looking around now

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

loubian wrote: »

She can understand more than she can verbalise. I did a short time out at this age. Picked him up, sat him away from his toys/view of tv. Went down to his level, said 'You do NOT hit mammy' or 'No hitting in this house' and walked away, but within sight, and not looking at him.

When he got up and toddled away I didn't bring him back to complete the full 1.5 mins as per Supernanny, but I did do a time out consistently every time he deliberately hit or kicked. If he came back from time out with a little furious face to hit me, he went straight back there. Usually after 4-5 goes, he ran out of steam and I'd ask if he was sorry, if he was going to behave and we'd hug and kiss. He got it quite quickly, but it was a while before the wallops stopped - mostly now because he can verbalise more I think. He still tries on occasion, but knows fully its naughty and that he'll get a time out if he is not sorry for it.

I dont do time out if it was accidental or if he hits or kicks during tickle fights etc, I just remind him to be gentle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My thoughts exactly :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Dolbert wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly :eek:

I know it sounds crazy but it actually does work (at least it has done for me more than once) and didn't sting or hurt when I did it. Apparently it's a fairly common home remedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Neyite wrote: »
    She can understand more than she can verbalise. I did a short time out at this age. Picked him up, sat him away from his toys/view of tv. Went down to his level, said 'You do NOT hit mammy' or 'No hitting in this house' and walked away, but within sight, and not looking at him.

When he got up and toddled away I didn't bring him back to complete the full 1.5 mins as per Supernanny, but I did do a time out consistently every time he deliberately hit or kicked. If he came back from time out with a little furious face to hit me, he went straight back there. Usually after 4-5 goes, he ran out of steam and I'd ask if he was sorry, if he was going to behave and we'd hug and kiss. He got it quite quickly, but it was a while before the wallops stopped - mostly now because he can verbalise more I think. He still tries on occasion, but knows fully its naughty and that he'll get a time out if he is not sorry for it.

I dont do time out if it was accidental or if he hits or kicks during tickle fights etc, I just remind him to be gentle.

Thanks Neyite, I tried a similar tack with the time-out during the week and my partner looked at me like I was crazy! I was unsure myself if it was too early to be trying but I know she understands everything we say/do so it makes sense that it might help. Thanks again for the tip :)

• Advertisement

sonners wrote: »
    Thanks Neyite, I tried a similar tack with the time-out during the week and my partner looked at me like I was crazy! I was unsure myself if it was too early to be trying but I know she understands everything we say/do so it makes sense that it might help. Thanks again for the tip :)

I remember my sister doing it with her crawling baby. It was so funny to see a bemused baby being plonked in the hall, not a bother on him :D. But hers have turned out great, and she has never raised her voice or slapped them. Its all about consistency apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

I know it sounds crazy but it actually does work (at least it has done for me more than once) and didn't sting or hurt when I did it. Apparently it's a fairly common home remedy.

In fairness you're not crazy. Baby shampoo washes are generally recommended for infection of the eyelids (called blepharitis), not so much for conjunctivitis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Drdoc wrote: »
    In fairness you're not crazy. Baby shampoo washes are generally recommended for infection of the eyelids (called blepharitis), not so much for conjunctivitis.

I have blepharitis and doc prescribed this to me too. Works a treat, just the normal Johnsons baby shampoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Does anyone know is there a Next sale soon please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

bean14 wrote: »
    Does anyone know is there a Next sale soon please?

Not sure but the €15 vouchers are out at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Thanks for that. Its the sale stuff I am after. Availed of the vouchers already!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We got S's grommets today: they had to put iv line in her neck because they couldn't get a vein :( it was so sore for her the poor pet :( so relieved they are done! Question for those of you who's kids have had grommets: how long before their speech improved? I miss hearing my little girl saying mama!

cyning wrote: »
    We got S's grommets today: they had to put iv line in her neck because they couldn't get a vein :( it was so sore for her the poor pet :( so relieved they are done! Question for those of you who's kids have had grommets: how long before their speech improved? I miss hearing my little girl saying mama!

My little one was 20 months, she was terrified of all noise for about 2-3 days. She kept asking us "what that noise?"

Her speech was halted but within 2 months she was full of chat, she had words before but picked up new words so quickly and pronounciation was much better

My girl spiked a temp the day after but apart from that she flew it. Had them checked 6 months later and they're still in place

She's a bit miserable her necks very sore and she had a general anaesthetic I really really miss her saying mama...

Hoping for big improvements after this no more hospital visits!

I've officially registered L for school in September, I don't think I can class him as a toddler anymore! Time is going so fast!

I've officially registered L for school in September, I don't think I can class him as a toddler anymore! Time is going so fast!

Is France the same as here in that kids start in the state school system at 3? Is it compulsory or optional at that age?

• Advertisement

Xdancer wrote: »
    Is France the same as here in that kids start in the state school system at 3? Is it compulsory or optional at that age?
    It's optional, and yes they can start at 3. L will be 3.5 years. Although there are some schools with a "toute petite section" where children can go from 2.5 years, which I think is a bit extreme. Some parents jump at it because it saves on creche fees.

It's optional, and yes they can start at 3. L will be 3.5 years. Although there are some schools with a "toute petite section" where children can go from 2.5 years, which I think is a bit extreme. Some parents jump at it because it saves on creche fees.

A actually started when she was 2 yrs 9 months. They start the year they turn 3 and she's a December baby. I was so worried about her starting so young but she is thriving thankfully. She can even write her name! :O

3.5 yrs would be the ideal age in my opinion.

Xdancer wrote: »
    A actually started when she was 2 yrs 9 months. They start the year they turn 3 and she's a December baby. I was so worried about her starting so young but she is thriving thankfully. She can even write her name! :O

3.5 yrs would be the ideal age in my opinion.
    It does depend on the child of course! At 2.5 years, Liam wasn't remotely toilet trained which would have been the major problem in my eyes. Mentally and with fine motor skills he's grand but for gross motor skills (walking etc) he's behind he age (he only walked at 20 months) so I wanted him to catch up too. He'll be just right when he starts in September.

It does depend on the child of course! At 2.5 years, Liam wasn't remotely toilet trained which would have been the major problem in my eyes. Mentally and with fine motor skills he's grand but for gross motor skills (walking etc) he's behind he age (he only walked at 20 months) so I wanted him to catch up too. He'll be just right when he starts in September.

I would have preferred to wait another year, but it would have been really hard to get a place and she would still have been put in with the kids born in 2011 anyway. It's a weird system.

Even 3.5 is so young starting school....I think it's because I imagine it to be like school back home, but it's not. It's tailored for 3 year olds, but I kept imagining her in a class of 4/5 year olds like junior infants in Ireland :)

3.5 seems like a nice age to me - hopefully there won't be too many tears on the first day :)

I'm looking for some reassurance ladies - that some of you had something similar. My little boy is 20 months old and not talking yet. He can say nana for banana and has been making animal sounds for ages but nothing else. I'm starting to get worried - some of my friends with babies his age are having proper conversations with their babas and I'm just getting nothing. I'm at home with him so I feel like it's my fault and I don't talk to him enough or something.

The PHN has assured me it's ok because he does communicate in his own way and does babble (he's certainly not quiet) and he does understand a lot of what I say to him - but it feels like it's never going to happen and it makes things tougher for us all because he can't communicate as well as other babies his age. I'm fairly sure his hearing is fine as well (he can hear a packet of crisps being taken out of the cupboard from two rooms away!)

I dunno - It's just on my mind a lot and it's hard not to worry. I'm hoping it will just click but it's not looking likely anytime soon. I'd love to be able to talk to him and know what's going on in his head :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Woshy wrote: »

My little boy is 20 months old and not talking yet.

The PHN has assured me it's ok (

Give the local HSE Speech Therapist a ring and they will advise if you should make a referral or give him a bit more time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Woshy wrote: »
    3.5 seems like a nice age to me - hopefully there won't be too many tears on the first day :)

I'm looking for some reassurance ladies - that some of you had something similar. My little boy is 20 months old and not talking yet. He can say nana for banana and has been making animal sounds for ages but nothing else. I'm starting to get worried - some of my friends with babies his age are having proper conversations with their babas and I'm just getting nothing. I'm at home with him so I feel like it's my fault and I don't talk to him enough or something.

The PHN has assured me it's ok because he does communicate in his own way and does babble (he's certainly not quiet) and he does understand a lot of what I say to him - but it feels like it's never going to happen and it makes things tougher for us all because he can't communicate as well as other babies his age. I'm fairly sure his hearing is fine as well (he can hear a packet of crisps being taken out of the cupboard from two rooms away!)

I dunno - It's just on my mind a lot and it's hard not to worry. I'm hoping it will just click but it's not looking likely anytime soon. I'd love to be able to talk to him and know what's going on in his head :(

OK, you should really talk to my Mum. My older brother babbled and had the odd word here and there but really didn't speak at all until he was about two and a half or nearly three and then he came out with full sentences and DID NOT STOP! Kids find their voices at different ages. He's now a very successful barrister so I really really wouldn't worry!! :)

Roselm wrote: »
    Give the local HSE Speech Therapist a ring and they will advise if you should make a referral or give him a bit more time.

Thanks - I will be in with the phn soon so was going to give it a month or so and then discuss it further with her and ask to speak to a speech therapist. I keep hoping it will just come together all of a sudden!
    Merkin wrote: »
    OK, you should really talk to my Mum. My older brother babbled and had the odd word here and there but really didn't speak at all until he was about two and a half or nearly three and then he came out with full sentences and DID NOT STOP! Kids find their voices at different ages. He's now a very successful barrister so I really really wouldn't worry!! :)

That is reassuring - thanks :) I have a feeling he will be very chatty once he is able to talk but I just hope it comes together soon and there isn't a problem. I've no other concerns with his development at all. We were out with friends tonight and one of them didn't talk until he was four. His parents were told he'd talk when he was ready and he did!

Woshy, my lad was a touch quiet at that age compared to his creche counterparts. Now he natters nonstop and has a great vocabulary. But do talk to the phn. If nothing else, she might put him down on a waiting list just in case, and you can cancel that down the line if there is no need in the end.

I second Neyite.
    L was very quiet in the crèche at that age (so much so that the manager had a word with me about it). But it's like he was learning it in his head, all of a sudden he started talking and now he won't shut up! :p
    As Neyite says, there is no harm talking to the PHN about your concerns and then you won't mind if you have to cancel if it comes to nothing.

• Advertisement

Thanks ladies - he's due his development check so I'm going to talk about it further then and see about getting him referred just to have the appointment. I last spoke to the phn about 5 weeks ago but he's almost 21 months now. The phn says she prefers to wait until close to 24 months for the next development check because they're more likely to have developed speech by then and she can assess them more easily but as I'm due number 2 in May she'll get us in a little earlier. I worry another baby arriving might set him back too because I'll have less attention for him overall.

He's very outgoing and chatty, he doesn't shut up, always running around talking to himself - it's just not real words. I'm hoping it is going on in his head and he'll put it all together soon. His dad had a stammer as a child too (as did his grandfather) and still does when very tired so I guess I'm just thinking about that too. I have read lots of stories online of being having an appointment booked but then at 23/24 months the words started and they were able to cancel it so I'm hoping that will be us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

oh cyning i hope S is feeling better soon. when A got hers it at 21mnths she was so sensitive to noise. she couldny tell us but we could see when she would hear any little noise she would be looking around. she had hardly any words at that stage but within 2-3 mnths she was flying it. now 13 mnths later she has little conversations. shes still behind though but PHN isnt overly concerned.

her poor little neck. hopefully this makes a huge difference for ye.

I got a mama earlier :) so happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Delighted for you!!! X

The best sound in the world, that's fantastic

Don't get me wrong I know it will take a lot longer to get the babbling back and the shrieking to stop but yay! Have to bring her to doc in morn though she's not well tonight at all thrown down and sleepy so god knows what she's fighting off this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We've got a toddler with the vomiting bug, a 40oc temperature and a chest infection. She pukes her antibiotic straight back up and she was refusing to drink fluids this evening. Her grandad is minding her tomorrow. She puked all over him today so hopefully it'll be better tomorrow.

The last 4 months have been a never ending series of illness and antibiotics for all of us. I just want the spring to come so we can get healthy again.

I'm eagerly awaiting the spring here too how strange! Cannot come fast enough, I'm sick to death of snot! The only thing we avoid in this house is stomach bugs thank god ;)

I'm eagerly awaiting the spring here too how strange! Cannot come fast enough, I'm sick to death of snot! The only thing we avoid in this house is stomach bugs thank god ;)

That's funny, we never ever get stomach bugs either (#betIspoketoosoon :o)
    We've had so much croup and croup-type chest problems though. It's actually soul destroying. Last week amid one of his bad bouts, I got suspected appendicitis and spent a whole night in A&E before being admitted to hospital for 2 days. Turned out it was a cyst so I then had to have a lap this week to have it removed. I feel totally exhausted but trying to be positive that spring will bring some better times. Our poor guy has been on steroids and antibiotics about 8 times in the last 12 months as well as a steroid inhaler every day. Please let this be the end......

I meant to add here that my little boy is 2 this week and has no real words other than All gone. I'm not remotely worried as he's babbling away so I know they'll come in time. I wouldn't have considered 2 to be all that slow though if they are any way verbal and I'm amazed that speech therapists are being suggested here? Am I burying my head a bit???

• Advertisement

Another flipping ear infection. Seriously like. We caught it early so hopefully won't be too bad

Advertisement