Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

cyning wrote: »
    Another flipping ear infection. Seriously like. We caught it early so hopefully won't be too bad

Same here. Feel she's under the weather, as am I and I need to get nutrients into us. What nutrient loaded dinners would you recommend for the whole family? I'm a little low on inspiration at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Ok so I'm a little sad today. We finally put the little man into his own room(just over a year old) and since he's gone down to one nap a day I've been putting him in there then too and he sleeps great for 2 hours. He also slept til 5 am this morning. Which is all brill. But I just realised now Ill have no more sleepy cuddles with him as he used to nap in my arms twice a day and usually woke numerous times at night and come into our bed eventually.

And I'm reminded of that poem about Last times and I wanna cry :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Vanish- poop- solids food and stain removal!!

My lovely little baby girl has started on solids recently and as a result the nappies have gotten a little more interesting!
    Sometimes if they are explosive and leak onto her vests I've used Vanish on the stains before washing. In the past when it was milk only this worked a treat. However now it's turning some of the stains blue - it looks like a pen has leaked.
    It's also the same on her bibs and muslin cloths- it seems to be food dependent as jot everything turns blue.
    Have any of you experienced this and what alternatives did you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

The tummy bug doing the rounds is nasty. S had it last week and he vomitted for 4 days and had another few days after that of nasty liquid poo. He actually lost a good bit of weight and was so weak he was barely able to walk by the end of it. Even now, 4 days on, he's still out of sorts, hungry and cranky all the time, is like a junkie looking for crack when he he wants to be breastfed (which is a pain as he'd more or less weaned in the day time before this bug) and his sleep has gone from fantastic to atrocious. I picked up the bug too while he had it, though thankfully it was quite mild for me. But I am beyond knackered right now and it's making me short with him when he still needs a bit of extra tlc.

Natural light removes all biological stains. It's just a bit crap at this time of year as we have so little sunlight but it's utterly amazing in the summer.

Vanish- poop- solids food and stain removal!!

My lovely little baby girl has started on solids recently and as a result the nappies have gotten a little more interesting!
    Sometimes if they are explosive and leak onto her vests I've used Vanish on the stains before washing. In the past when it was milk only this worked a treat. However now it's turning some of the stains blue - it looks like a pen has leaked.
    It's also the same on her bibs and muslin cloths- it seems to be food dependent as jot everything turns blue.

Try leaving the stain in the sun! This time of year it may take longer, but should fade loads. Even if there's clouds it'll still work , just take longer. Also try wetting it and putting lemon juice not he stain and again leave in the sun:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Yep direct sun light is the best thing for stains....I have been guilty of buying the expensive stain removers only to see Sun light works best.

Also if you cannot wash it immediately I leave it soak in water and salt until I am doing a load

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

If you need to bring bubs to GP and have your own issues to discuss, do you make a double appointment and are you charged double? Or in other words, can you bring up your own ailments at baby's appointment?

Marz66 wrote: »
    If you need to bring bubs to GP and have your own issues to discuss, do you make a double appointment and are you charged double? Or in other words, can you bring up your own ailments at baby's appointment?

My GP usually only charges for one of us if we both go - all three of us went once but only got charged for one visit but depends on the GP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My GP does family appointments which are 1 1/2 times normal one. That's if I make app for both of us. However a lot of the time I brought the toddler in I was sick also, so he'd generally ask how I was and give me something if needed it, I was pregnant at the time though and we were going through crechtitis!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

crechtitis!

I love this word. Entirely apt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Marz66 wrote: »

Phone them and ask. Ours charge €60 per visit and then €80 if it's for Mum and child for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Hi folks,
    Just looking for yer advice or is this normal/ a phase??
    Have a 16 month boy who used to love his food and dinners but in the last month or so he has gone off a lot of the stuff he'd usually eat. I have made new dishes to see if he'l eat those but im getting frustrated as a lot of food is going in the bin. If any of ye have any experience of this id love to know does it last long or do we just have to put up with it. Any comments greatly appreciated. Thank you

Yep happened to us too - yoyos to and fro liking/disliking food (e.g. eggs). I just put it on the plate and if they don't eat it then I do :-) don't force the issue and just keep offering different food. Things are improving slightly for me but that is because I am better at hiding the vegetables!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

bp wrote: »
    Yep happened to us too - yoyos to and fro liking/disliking food (e.g. eggs). I just put it on the plate and if they don't eat it then I do :-) don't force the issue and just keep offering different food. Things are improving slightly for me but that is because I am better at hiding the vegetables!!!

Thanks bp for replying. Did it start around the same age as us, 15 -16 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Naughto, we went through it at around 14 months. Just coming out of it in the last couple of weeks at nearly 16 months. So frustrating!!

naughto wrote: »
    Thanks bp for replying. Did it start around the same age as us, 15 -16 months?

I think so...it is common as they exert their independence! Also my one will ear a specific food in creche but refuse point blank at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

*reads last few thread posts*

Aaah!

*picks up 17month olds breakfast from the floor*

So it's not just my lad. Little fart has started spitting out & throwing his food on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

nikpmup wrote: »
    *reads last few thread posts*

Aaah!

*picks up 17month olds breakfast from the floor*

So it's not just my lad. Little fart has started spitting out & throwing his food on the floor.

Mine loves dramatically sweeping all of his off the tray with his arm, then complaining because it's all gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I've lost count of the times I've picked food off the floor now! It's been going on a year I'd say (2y3m). This morning I've made pancakes which they 2 of them have wooped down. Secret puréed banana and apple pancakes. He used to love fruit but won't touch any fruit or vege at all now.

Ooooh recipe please? They sound lovely. Hope little T is better xx

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »
    Ooooh recipe please? They sound lovely. Hope little T is better xx

He's a good bit better now :). Just still
    A bit snotty. I just make normal pancake mixture (flour, eggs and milk). And then I thought I'd try and put some fruit in as neither of them will eat fruit. So I stewed 2 apples and puréed them and pureed 2 bananad and added then into the mixture and hand whisked. Keep adding milk until you get the right consistency :). They loved them. I'm gonna try adding berries and strawberries next time :).

Oh yummy thanks, sound lovely!

Thanks Sligo1 - I use pancakes to get eggs into my toodler, I like the thoughts and egg and fruit!

bp wrote: »
    Thanks Sligo1 - I use pancakes to get eggs into my toodler, I like the thoughts and egg and fruit!

I thought of trying to make savoury ones with spinach etc in. But I think he will cop on and get wise to me so think I might leave that idea.... Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭missyb01

My body clock has me up at this hour but my angel has decided she is not going to wake for her normal feed!!

We went for the bcg injection today. Poor thing cried her lungs out for about 3 min and then fell asleep. First time I seen proper tears and it broke my heart to see her that upset.

The exhaustion still hasn't passed and i believe it is really adding to my fragile emotional state. It's very hard to hold back the tears. I feel so guilty. I always thought bf would give me this amazing feeling of closeness and bonding with my baby but for me, I cry most times I bf because it was in that time that it would sink in that I'm a mother and responsible for this beautiful girl and it overwhelms me. Any time I got a few moments to myself I would just burst into tears. I haven't spoken to anybody about this. The OH has tried his best to help me deal with it and I try to put on a brave face for him but when he goes out the door in the morning, I have a cry. I hope it will pass soon.

Going to try and get some sleep.

missyb01 wrote: »
    My body clock has me up at this hour but my angel has decided she is not going to wake for her normal feed!!

We went for the bcg injection today. Poor thing cried her lungs out for about 3 min and then fell asleep. First time I seen proper tears and it broke my heart to see her that upset.

The exhaustion still hasn't passed and i believe it is really adding to my fragile emotional state. It's very hard to hold back the tears. I feel so guilty. I always thought bf would give me this amazing feeling of closeness and bonding with my baby but for me, I cry most times I bf because it was in that time that it would sink in that I'm a mother and responsible for this beautiful girl and it overwhelms me. Any time I got a few moments to myself I would just burst into tears. I haven't spoken to anybody about this. The OH has tried his best to help me deal with it and I try to put on a brave face for him but when he goes out the door in the morning, I have a cry. I hope it will pass soon.

You have let it out here and your OH acknowledges how you feel, and that is an important step. I know exactly how you feel and you can talk to me if you need to. Can you get someone to help you during the day so you can rest? I also know what it's like to put on a brave face and not look for help. We're here if you need to talk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I couldn’t read this and not reply. Everything you say reminds me of how I felt when my son was a small baby. There are so many reasons for feeling the way you do but mostly I think its just sheer exhaustion along with some hormones that haven’t yet re-balanced. I used to cry a lot when my husband went to work and I found it incredibly lonely being at home with a baby and not have family or friends nearby.

Talk to your husband more and try organise times where you go to another room/house/county and get some undisturbed sleep. Remember to eat and get yourself some good multivitamins. Lastly, breastfeeding is a beautiful thing to do and I loved those private moments with my son but it can be a terrible demand on your body and sometimes the brave thing to say, is that it’s not working and it’s too much for you. Your little girl is not going to grow a third arm because you decided to stop bfeeding. If you were really anti-formula, you could hire a good medulla pump and pump into bottles. At least your husband could do some of the feeds.

Nobody really tells you how difficult the first few weeks and months with a newborn are. Personally I struggled and almost hate admitting that but it’s true. I was delighted to come back to work after 9 months. Now my son is 2, I am bursting out the door every day to get home to him.

Be fair and be kind to yourself. All your daughter ever needs to know is that she is safe and loved. After that it’s not important. Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

missyb01 wrote: »

I know this feeling and its horrible. I would cry everyday. Not in front of anyone though, any of my friends or family thought I was doing fab but when I was alone it was a different story. Unfortunately over time I no longer had the energy to put on a brave face for them but instead of talking about it I just hid myself away more.

I don't know what the fix is, talking about it definitely helps. Get out of the house, change of scenery, eat, rest. All easier said than done I know. I just had to respond to let you know you're not alone in those feelings.

I honestly believe every first time mother goes through it, for some it lasts longer than others and the hole is deeper for some but I believe we all touch on it. Its only the bravest of us that actually discuss it. (Maybe I just tell myself that to make myself feel more 'normal', I dont know!)

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Missyb01 I am so glad you shared with everyone here. I second all the advice everyone has given. Exhaustion is a form of torture and the most basic task becomes a mammoth struggle when you feel this way. You start to second guess yourself, your decision making and your ability to do anything. Then you feel bad because aren't you supposed to bouncing around delighted with your new baby! It's tough being a Mammy. Some babies are definitely harder/ easier than others and some Mams have loads of help with family close by while some have no one. Everyones experience is so different so don't compare yourself to anyone else. You are doing your best and that's all that matters.
    The last thing I will say is this. Stop right now and say what do I want to change? Can I do something to change it? If one bottle a day is an answer for you then do what's right for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭missyb01

My eyes filled with tears reading all of your kind and supportive messages.

My mother has been absolutely amazing but she is 70 and it was taking its toll on her and it only made me feel worse so I had to give her a break and pretend I was coping better with each day. My 2 closest friends have been trying for a baby for years with no success and when they are around me they are so excited and just adore my little girl and I tried to tell them how I was feeling but couldn't bring myself to say the words. When I was pregnant, nobody told me how difficult and challenging it would be and I can understand that as it would have stressed me out even more.

I was never solely bf as she had jaundice and the midwives suggested I give her formula top ups but I have increased her formula bottles to give me a rest and my oh can feed her when he is home. When she had her 2 week check up, the nurse told me to cut out her formula bottles & just start bf completely. I just nodded and smiled and agreed with her. She rang me a week later to see how I was getting on and asked me if I was back on bf only. I just said yes because I didn't have the strength to get into it with her.

I came across the poem, Last Time, I think its called, I read it everyday to remind myself that sleepless nights and crying etc. won't last forever. My oh keeps saying "wait til next week, she will settle and it will get easier". I have gotten out to the shops on my own for an hour and have gone for short walks to clear my head and I can't wait to get back to see her when I'm away from her for any length of time.

I am definitely going to discuss it with the doc/nurse at the 6 week check up because I really don't want this to get any worse.

I can't thank you all enough xx

Would you consider talking to your GP too - post natal depression is common among women post child birth and often not discussed openly (not saying you have it but just to talk). I luckily had a friend on maternity leave with me and we moaned together - we didn't have to be 'happy' all the time.

I also went to a bf support group and the cinema (they have baby friendly showings) just to force myself to leave the house. They were both handy as it was comfortable and relaxing and I didn't have to do 'stuff' and just fed the baby

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Missybo1 what do you do when the baby gets the bottle? You should have two hours to yourself then and leave the housework. My husband gives a bottle around six everyday. I go for a sleep or a walk or a bath. The main thing is I leave the room where dad and baby are and just have a head space break. My baby is now nine weeks and the difference in her over the last two weeks. The crazy stuck to me every minute of the day phase is settling down. She now lies on her play mat or goes in her swing and I can get dressed or make myself some lunch. Three weeks ago that seemed a million miles away. Dont beat yourself up because you think you should be deleriously happy. Lots of mothers aren't at this stage and only really start to enjoy the experience as the baby gets older. Don't mind the public health nurse by the way. You make your own decisions and it's no one else's business. Take care of yourself x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Missybo1, I had to respond too. I could have almost written what you did there. I'm a first time mum too and my little fella is 5.5 months now. Seriously, that first few weeks was incredibly tough. I probably didn't really start to see the fog lifting for 6 weeks. I believe now that it was only at 2months that I could really say I was enjoying motherhood. Until then I was exhausted and I bf too, only weaning off now. The change was probably once he started to NOT need to be held/ carried/ fed constantly and I could leave the room and get a quick shower, actually make something to eat or go for a quick walk on my own etc. I don't have any family close by so no practical support really, only when my OH is home and I think that is very tough with a new baby and for a first time mother. Added to that is that my guy never really slept in the house during the day. So "sleep when baby sleeps" never happened for me. It got better when he started to get more settled in himself ie would be happy for periods on play gym/ bouncy chair etc, when the feeds stretched a little bit, even from 1-2 hours, thus not as demanding - for want of a better word. Do talk to people though. talk to your OH, maybe your doctor and this forum is fantastic for support. I find it a life saver. It is okay to find it all difficult and overwhelming. Nobody can prepare you for the overwhelming and emotional rollercoaster that motherhood is. Re. bfing, express if you can or use the formula. After 1 week, I had my LO on one bottle of formula and was expressing - to give me a break as I was so exhausted. I have a midwife friend who said to me when I agonised about the formula - look it's not poison! Do whatever helps you. It was the best thing I ever did as he has been great with switching between bf, formula and expressed bottles from one week. Take care. You are not alone and you are doing a great job. trust me, it does and it will get easier for you.

Missy, I was undiagnosed infertile and needed fertility meds to conceive. That baby was dearly wanted and yearned for for a long time. And I still had that post natal crash - that feeling that you are soley responsible for this little human coupled with your entire life being turned upside down, all the while hormones are surging and you are sleep deprived.

I had lots of secret weepy moments but you do get through it. I think the baby was 3 months old before his feeding settled down and any kind of pattern in naps occurred and I finally felt like I had my sh!t together.

For some women the hormone imbalance is more pronounced so they might need temporary meds. For others, getting out more, getting more support and sleep helps get them to the point they can carry on as normal. If you cant talk to people in real life, talk here all you need.

I've created a dedicated thread to share our experiences of PND and baby blues. I know with long chat threads, people sharing their experiences can get lost in all the posts, and newcomers don't see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask. I want to buy a bicycle carrier/seat for my 15 month old on the back. I cycle a lot and I think she would enjoy looking at everything. Does anyone know at what age or weight its safe to put them into a carrier and what age do helmets start at? Has anyone any experience of this please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Lowered the cot down to the lowest level for our 11 mnth old. Got a bit emotional as he is possibly our last baby . Hoping to have a 3rd (always wanted 3) but so many medical problems at the mo.
    OH just didnt get it so needed to post here where others would underdtand

I brought him for his last injections today, he was so brave and barely even cried.

When I brought him back to creche, and went to hand him back to his minder (a lady he loves and is very familiar with), he started crying and reaching out for me. Which is totally normal for many babies, I know, when they are left with someone else.

But the thing is, it got me thinking. He's never been like that - which is great, of course, we can leave him with friends or family or creche with no problem at all, and he never gets upset when we leave, ever. Today was literally the first time it happened (he's fourteen months old.)

I'm just kind of wondering, is it weird that he doesn't usually get upset when we leave him with others? I'm feeling the mammy guilt at having him in creche full-time from six months, but he was the same before that too, the very occasional time I left him with anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I brought him for his last injections today, he was so brave and barely even cried.

When I brought him back to creche, and went to hand him back to his minder (a lady he loves and is very familiar with), he started crying and reaching out for me. Which is totally normal for many babies, I know, when they are left with someone else.

But the thing is, it got me thinking. He's never been like that - which is great, of course, we can leave him with friends or family or creche with no problem at all, and he never gets upset when we leave, ever. Today was literally the first time it happened (he's fourteen months old.)

I'm just kind of wondering, is it weird that he doesn't usually get upset when we leave him with others? I'm feeling the mammy guilt at having him in creche full-time from six months, but he was the same before that too, the very occasional time I left him with anyone else.

Hi 17sheep. I don't have the same situation but at our last doctor's visit, she said something that might be related. Our fella was starting to make strange and she was like, its totally normal, he's being minded at home etc and also that for some babies it never bothers them if they are used to being minded by more than just one person, like her example was the youngest of a big family that is minded by other family a lot. So, it might be the same for your guy if he went to creche before he started making strange at all then he got used to being with more people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

bean14 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the correct place to ask. I want to buy a bicycle carrier/seat for my 15 month old on the back. I cycle a lot and I think she would enjoy looking at everything. Does anyone know at what age or weight its safe to put them into a carrier and what age do helmets start at? Has anyone any experience of this please?

We got a present of a seat that is for 6 months and up. It is one that attaches to the front of the handle bars. It says it on the packet what age. We haven't used it yet as he isn't great at sitting up unaided so I'm going to wait a bit (also need to buy a helmet). I would imagine that different types of carriers are suitable for different ages so perhaps just have a look at what type you'd like and see what age the manufacturer recommends them for. we cycle a lot too. we also have a bike trailer for kids that I'm dying to put him in! Happy cycling!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

My little man has just been referred to speech and language therapy and to an audiologist due his speech delay. I made a show of myself by getting upset while in with the nurse. I'm almost 7 months pregnant so I blamed it on hormones :(

I know the waiting list is long so she's just setting up an appointment now so he gets an appointment when he needs it but it still upset me for some reason. I feel like it's something I did wrong. I guess we all just worry about our kids!

Here's hoping it magically comes together and the appointment won't be necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Woshy wrote: »
    My little man has just been referred to speech and language therapy and to an audiologist due his speech delay. I made a show of myself by getting upset while in with the nurse. I'm almost 7 months pregnant so I blamed it on hormones :(

I know the waiting list is long so she's just setting up an appointment now so he gets an appointment when he needs it but it still upset me for some reason. I feel like it's something I did wrong. I guess we all just worry about our kids!

Here's hoping it magically comes together and the appointment won't be necessary

Don't feel like you did something wrong Woshy! You are doing all the right things by putting the wheels in motion. I've worked a bit with kids with speech and language delay in the past and if that is the case with your little man early intervention is a big help. Saying that some children make a huge language leap around the age of two. Hopefully by the time the assessment comes around it won't be needed. Mind yourself Mama! Being pregnant can be hard physically and emotionally at the best of times.

My 13 month old has never made strange with anyone, ever. And he's minded solely by me. He's a very confident boy and very independent which might have something to do with it. The only time he's ever made strange has actually turned out that he was hungry or tired. Maybe he was more put out b the injections than you realised and just wanted some mummy cuddles? My boy barely flinched at the 12mth jabs.

We left E during his nap to go to the cinema for hubby's birthday today. My friend was minding him and had her 2 year old too. He's been around them lots but never without me before. She said he didn't bat an eyelid when she went to him, changed his nappy, made him dinner etc. now he gave us a lovely greeting when we came home but really he couldn't care less lol! I hope he never changes as it makes him very easy for others to mind!

How easy is it to travel with a baby? I'm thinking of heading off somewhere for a week with just bubs. I don't drive so will be relying on public transport and her buggy. I'd love to go to the gaelthact, but are they easy accessible without a car? Anyone have any ideas where might be good/cheap for a 2 year old (she'll be two in the summer)?

Roesy wrote: »
    Don't feel like you did something wrong Woshy! You are doing all the right things by putting the wheels in motion. I've worked a bit with kids with speech and language delay in the past and if that is the case with your little man early intervention is a big help. Saying that some children make a huge language leap around the age of two. Hopefully by the time the assessment comes around it won't be needed. Mind yourself Mama! Being pregnant can be hard physically and emotionally at the best of times.

Thanks Roesy! I'm hoping that too. We've three months until he turns two so I'm hoping it all comes together soon. I'm trying not to worry too much about it being a sign of anything more serious, I've no other concerns with his behaviour/development but it's hard not to let your imagination run away with you :)

loubian wrote: »
    How easy is it to travel with a baby? I'm thinking of heading off somewhere for a week with just bubs. I don't drive so will be relying on public transport and her buggy. I'd love to go to the gaelthact, but are they easy accessible without a car? Anyone have any ideas where might be good/cheap for a 2 year old (she'll be two in the summer)?

Trains are absolutely fine, you can reserve one of the seats with a wheelchair space in front and then leave the buggy up the whole time (unless of course there's a wheelchair user on board), I travel Dublin to sligo fairly regular with little hassle. It means you can pop baby in and out of the buggy when you need to, rather than having them on your knee the whole way.

Buses - I'd be slightly paranoid about the buggy being nicked from under the bus! Also obviously baby is on your knee all the way. I also feel trains are safer - I know bus accidents are rare, but I hate the thought of bringing my baby on public roads not strapped in.

In general I don't find travel stressful, especially now he's on cows milk and I no longer have to sterilise or make up bottles. That used to be a pain in the arse when away from home.

A random thought, does your buggy have a bar handle or two separate handles? Mine has a bar handle so I can easily manage it with one hand and a wheely suitcase in the other ... If you have two handles, a large backpack would probably be better.

Trains are absolutely fine, you can reserve one of the seats with a wheelchair space in front and then leave the buggy up the whole time (unless of course there's a wheelchair user on board), I travel Dublin to sligo fairly regular with little hassle. It means you can pop baby in and out of the buggy when you need to, rather than having them on your knee the whole way.

Buses - I'd be slightly paranoid about the buggy being nicked from under the bus! Also obviously baby is on your knee all the way. I also feel trains are safer - I know bus accidents are rare, but I hate the thought of bringing my baby on public roads not strapped in.

In general I don't find travel stressful, especially now he's on cows milk and I no longer have to sterilise or make up bottles. That used to be a pain in the arse when away from home.

A random thought, does your buggy have a bar handle or two separate handles? Mine has a bar handle so I can easily manage it with one hand and a wheely suitcase in the other ... If you have two handles, a large backpack would probably be better.

Thanks! You make it sound easy :) I'd feel the same re the bus with no straps!

I have got a bar handle on the buggy so that's good advice for the suitcase :)

Oh another thought about buses - where would you change a nappy? The train toilets are sometimes a bit manky - so either carry a towel, or else buy a pack of disposable changing mats (I don't like putting a regular changing mat or towel back into my clean bag after using it on public transport!) But I usually manage the three hour journey without a change, if I'm lucky, like I was today!

Loubian, you'd ideally need a car to visit the Gaeltacht in Connemara. But if you based yourself in galway city or salthill, its accessible by regular trains and the city buses and tour buses onwards from there might work. The aquarium in salthill is a great day out for a toddler that age. Then you'd have your day trips to Connemara or the burren from there too. Ailwee caves is not too far, and lots of woodland walks accesible from the city too. I'd skip the cliffs of moher though!

Has anyone taken their child to a private audiologist? Any recommendations? I'm in Bray, Co Wicklow so Dublin or Wicklow are fine.

My boy has been referred by the PHN for a HSE appointment but we think we'd like to get him seen sooner. He's been at his ears a bit recently. The HSE appointment will be a few months and he has health insurance so we'll get some of the cost back as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement