Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I dont even know how to start. I'm so sorry. I was chatting to someone here on PM about cloth nappies...maybe last summer?? Late Summer maybe?? I was to get details etc about sending them but things with my 2nd grandson didnt go too smoothly but he's here now :D and between one thing and another.......I forgot :(
    I cleared my PMs and lost our chat..I'm so sorry. If you still need them and you're still on here, Pm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Pm'd you Chucken!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Hi, I'm new here :)

Our gorgeous son is 10 days old, we just got out of hospital now. He was in special care for a few days after he was born, where they get into a serious routine of feeding every 3-4 hours, sleeping/looking around in cot, and repeat. He kept this up when he came out of special care, he was like clockwork and never upset or cranky. But the last two nights he hasn't a notion of going to sleep after his 11.30pm-12am feed (breastfed), he cries and flails when put into the cradle and gets all worked up. It looks like wind because he does serious farts at this time of night and pulls his legs up, gets relief when held over shoulder or having stomach rubbed etc. But then he won't go down into bed all night long, or if he does it's not for more than half an hour, then he starts screaming again. He finally goes to sleep at about 8am and then it's back to the chilled baby on a self imposed strict 3-4 hour routine for the rest of the day.

I obviously don't mind being up at night with him, but if there's something specific that might be happening that we could avoid obviously I would like to do that. I'm just more curious about why it's like clockwork that he hates doing at night what he happily does all day.

Any info from the more experienced would be great :) We've already asked our parents and they're as baffled as us :P

Edit: Meant to say he LOVES being swaddled, they did this to him in special care. But I feel you're not supposed to do it at night, ok for naps when you're watching but not when you're sleeping or something? Every midwife, nurse and online source has different opinions on everything so I'm baffled.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

I would feed him more often during the day if he is breastfed. He might have hit a growth spurt. If the wind issue continues you could try something like infacol.

fall wrote: »
    I would feed him more often during the day if he is breastfed. He might have hit a growth spurt. If the wind issue continues you could try something like infacol.

Should I wake him to feed him during the day? We had an odd start in that my cues to feed him were special care nurses ringing me to say he was crying or looking for food, so I just went on feeding him when he looks for it. We actually got Infacol yesterday (husband googled and wanted to be prepared!) so might give that a go if needed. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

You can pick him up and he might not even wake but will feed in his sleep. Breastfed babies usually need to feed more often than three to four hours. Also just to say the first six to eight weeks can be bumpy but there is usually a big improvement after that. We had loads of wind issues but it has all settled now. It doesn't last forever thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I am so glad you got out spotty :-). Something in breast milk which changes at night and makes them hungrier/ more awake.

Was he bottle fed at night in the hospital? Either way he and you will find a rythem - my lad fed all night - every 30 minutes - now passed out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi, I'm new here :)

Our gorgeous son is 10 days old, we just got out of hospital now. He was in special care for a few days after he was born, where they get into a serious routine of feeding every 3-4 hours, sleeping/looking around in cot, and repeat. He kept this up when he came out of special care, he was like clockwork and never upset or cranky. But the last two nights he hasn't a notion of going to sleep after his 11.30pm-12am feed (breastfed), he cries and flails when put into the cradle and gets all worked up. It looks like wind because he does serious farts at this time of night and pulls his legs up, gets relief when held over shoulder or having stomach rubbed etc. But then he won't go down into bed all night long, or if he does it's not for more than half an hour, then he starts screaming again. He finally goes to sleep at about 8am and then it's back to the chilled baby on a self imposed strict 3-4 hour routine for the rest of the day.

Edit: Meant to say he LOVES being swaddled, they did this to him in special care. But I feel you're not supposed to do it at night, ok for naps when you're watching but not when you're sleeping or something? Every midwife, nurse and online source has different opinions on everything so I'm baffled.

Both of my b'fed babies were every 3/4 hrs so i wouldn't say that he necessarily needs more feed just because he's breast fed, it sounds like he's more uncomfortable than hungry. Can you raise his mattress marginally, put a folded cot sheet under the top end? Try winding him upright a bit longer after this feed in particular. Try rubbing his tummy in clockwise circles when he gets distressed, you can do this over his clothes/swaddle in the crib at night or during the day you can do skin-to-skin massage on his tummy (look up a baby massage classes or YouTube). Try the Infacol.

I swaddled at night as well as day, i used a cellular blanket and it was loose enough that it was always undone around his legs by the morning but it helped him settle initially when i'd put him down.

A friend of mine found these great for settling baby in the early weeks

http://www.hipbaby.ie/product-category/organic-rompers-basics/woombie-swaddles/

PS. Congratulations. Enjoy your little bundle xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

We got our daughter her first bike for her 3rd birthday on wedensday.
    OH is here putting it all together. Im like a bold child watching. I cant wait until she sees it. We also got a cheap Elsa doll from tesco and a peppa jacket (which she needed anyway)
    Why am i so excited? As they get older and has more understanding of gifts i get more and more excited.

I realise this is the question of a desperate sleep deprived new mother...can babies sleep overnight in a Bugaboo Cameleon carrycot no?

I'm assuming he can't sleep in it overnight, but have to check! Can't see a definitive answer online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I realise this is the question of a desperate sleep deprived new mother...can babies sleep overnight in a Bugaboo Cameleon carrycot no?

I'm assuming he can't sleep in it overnight, but have to check! Can't see a definitive answer online.

Can you ring the shop you bought it from and ask?

I have an uppababy vista and the carrycot is suitable for babies to sleep overnight in but it specifically says that online and in the manual etc

Woshy wrote: »
    Can you ring the shop you bought it from and ask?

I have an uppababy vista and the carrycot is suitable for babies to sleep overnight in but it specifically says that online and in the manual etc

It was actually given to us by a relative who owns it, but I suppose I could just ring any shop that sells them really. The obvious options that elude you when very tired :rolleyes: I asked relative that owns it but they didn't know.

I remember when we were choosing buggies, bugaboo were not allowed unsupervised sleeping when uppa baby was. We went with the vista in the end. Bugaboo are only suitable for naps while walking etc.

I remember when we were choosing buggies, bugaboo were not allowed unsupervised sleeping when uppa baby was. We went with the vista in the end. Bugaboo are only suitable for naps while walking etc.

I actually just got a call back from the relative and after checking with their OH the mattress in the buggy is the one that's suitable for overnight sleeping. See, so much conflicting info, but they apparently specifically got the overnight mattress.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

No particular reason why not- but make sure you take all relevant precautions. I've fallen asleap in the past with a 2 week old in our double bed- without reprecussions- which is not ideal. Our little ones would only sleep in their Quinny carrycot- which often ended up upstairs for this very reason. Just exercise common sense and reasonable caution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Product information here:
    http://issuu.com/bugaboo/docs/010258_ug_bugaboo_cameleon3_na_rv00 (page 10)

The bassinette is fine for overnight sleeping, you can use it on or off the buggy. I've heard of plenty of people who use the buggy as the cot for the first few months.

The normal seat isn't supposed to be used for overnight sleeping because it's not flat.

Thanks Seamus I couldn't find the product info myself. Hopefully we'll all get some sleep tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

I actually just got a call back from the relative and after checking with their OH the mattress in the buggy is the one that's suitable for overnight sleeping. See, so much conflicting info, but they apparently specifically got the overnight mattress.

Basically (at least when I was researching) the Uppababy Vista was the only one approved for overnight sleeping. That's the one we got.

The Bugaboo Cameleon, while it doesn't have whatever specific certification for overnight sleeping that the Uppababy Vista mattress does, is actually absolutely fine for overnight sleeping too. It just doesn't have the same cert.

But, the thing is, whether in a pram or a cot or a moses basket or whatever, the same mattress should not be used for another baby. I'm not sure exactly why - something to do with spores? (Whatever they are.) I know from everything I've read that mattresses should not be reused, a new one should always be bought for each baby. So if overnight sleeping will be a regular thing, I'd buy a new mattress, if I were you.

Finally, I'm sure you've been informed of the risk of positional plagiocephaly (also known as flathead) - some babies have to sleep in prams or even bouncers or carseats for medical reasons e.g. reflux, however personally with my next baby I'd be getting them into a cot with an excellent mattress (and no moses basket) from the very start, if possible. It's a very common condition, and while it's curable and not serious, the physio is a pain in the ass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Quinny buzz carrycot is suitable for overnight sleeping, we used it on both ours for travelling until they got too big

• Advertisement

Honestly I'm sure any carrycot is absolutely fine for overnight sleeping on an occasional basis.

When they're very small, they'll likely only "overnight sleep" for as long as they'd have a nap, anyways, so what's the difference?

We specifically got the Uppababy Vista because we were sold on the overnight sleeping thing (even though we had a moses basket and cot, and he would only be sleeping in the carrycot overnight very occasionally.) Not worth it for the amount of times he slept in it, and anyways a travelcot would have been absolutely fine, even from a young age, if it was only going to be the odd night here and there!

I bought a matress for a Moses basket and put it in the buggy. Baby won't sleep in their crib :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Complete first world problem but what do you put in your changing bag?

Mine is always bulging and seems overpacked but I don't think I am that over the top.

I have
    5 nappies
    Wipes
    Bepanthenan
    Nappy disposal bags
    2 vests
    2 babygros
    1 spare socks
    2 spare bibs
    2 muslin cloths
    Small changing mat (came with bag-maybe this is the problem)
    Teetha/nose drops if he's under the weather

This lot is so the bag will do me for 2 days/2 trips without having to 'restock' it every day.

Baby is 7 months now so rarely needs a full outfit change so maybe I could start putting that in a separate bag to leave in the car. Tho I find I now need to pack some solid food for him, a toy and a teether.

Are other people carting the same load around with them?

I call my changing bag the Baby Bag because most frequently used baby things are in it. I'v also made it pretty much my bag too :o I have a great bag that takes loads but is still not very big. Baby is 5 weeks old. I have:

Anywhere from 5 to an entire pack of nappies
    1 Babygro
    1 Vest (I keep another change of clothes in the buggy or car etc)
    Vaseline
    Wipes
    Nappy Bags
    1 big muslin for swaddling/covering for feeding/whatever
    Travel changing mat that came with the bag
    Dummies
    Infacol
    Vit D drops
    Nasal Aspirator
    Maxi Cosi car seat adaptors!
    My wallet, make up and deodorant :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

1 vest
    1 babygro
    2 Muslins
    4 bibs
    Nappy bags
    Water wipes (never a full packet swap for quarter pack to save space)
    Travel changing mat
    Sterilising wipes
    Spare soother
    1 or 2 bottles
    Formula container
    4 nappies
    2 toys
    Sophie the giraffe

My own stuff - filofax, hand sanitiser, mirror, tissues, wallet

All fits perfectly until my husband goes near it!

2 Muslims

:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

:pac::D

:) Too funny! Damn auto correct. I better edit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

At 7 months wherever I went I would just put a nappy and some wipes into my handbag. But she was exclusively breastfed at that age. When I started giving a bottle or food. I'd just either out the bottle or little pot of food into my handbag aswell. If my son (2y) came with us aswell Id just add his nappy to my handbag aswell as a sippy cup for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

It depends what I'm doing?

If I'm going for the shopping or similar then I take two nappies, the end of a pack of wipes and a tube of sudocreme in the changing mat in my handbag and one spare dodo/bib and possibly a bottle

If I'm out for a leisurely lunch or lots of small jobs around time then I take my big bag. My big bag takes a multitude of nappies, pot of sudocreme, couple of dodo's, bottles/milk/gaviscon sachets, at least one full change of clothes, three/four bibs and a toy. If I'm out with my hand bag this stays in the car just in case

It's funny, it seems that the older he gets, the less I need to bring for him? We haven't used the nappy bag in several months. If we're going somewhere, we shove the essentials into my handbag (if I'm bringing him) or the basket of the buggy (if it's his dad bringing him.) These, days, the basics would be 1 nappy, 1 pack of wipes, 1 banana or box of raisins.

In the first six months or so, I left the house with the nappy bag filled to capacity for every possible emergency situation! A clean bottle, a couple of boxes/bottles of ready-to-feed liquid formula, several nappies, wipes, nappy bags, mats, a couple of changes of clothes, toys, a million bibs, Calpol/Neurofen/Teetha etc, loads of soothers.

Depends really how long we're going out for. I don't think I'd even bother with a special bag next time around, as all you actually need for them will usually fit in a handbag! (Unless I had another refluxy baby ... the spare clothes and bibs did come in handy for that!)

It's funny, it seems that the older he gets, the less I need to bring for him? We haven't used the nappy bag in several months. If we're going somewhere, we shove the essentials into my handbag (if I'm bringing him) or the basket of the buggy (if it's his dad bringing him.) These, days, the basics would be 1 nappy, 1 pack of wipes, 1 banana or box of raisins.

In the first six months or so, I left the house with the nappy bag filled to capacity for every possible emergency situation! A clean bottle, a couple of boxes/bottles of ready-to-feed liquid formula, several nappies, wipes, nappy bags, mats, a couple of changes of clothes, toys, a million bibs, Calpol/Neurofen/Teetha etc, loads of soothers.

Depends really how long we're going out for. I don't think I'd even bother with a special bag next time around, as all you actually need for them will usually fit in a handbag! (Unless I had another refluxy baby ... the spare clothes and bibs did come in handy for that!)

+1. On my son, I'd bring a baby bag around with me on the pram everywhere I went. Now with 2 of them I bring nothing bar the nappies, wipes and sippy cups in my own smallish handbag. And a box of raisins or small snack.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, very interesting.

Some of you have similar amounts of stuff to me but maybe your bags must hold them better. I have a standard changing bag from mothercare but maybe I'm not packing it right. It has loads of pockets so I have something in each one!

Seventeen sheep, that's it I've been trying to cater for all situations such as entire clothes changes but now that he's older, I must start travelling lighter. I can always have an emergency stash of stuff in the car.

I met someone who just carried 2 nappies and wipes in the space at the back of her Maxi cosi car seat. I thought that was very light but I bet now that she had another bag in the car!

Yeah I have to bring everything because he's so little I have to be prepared for all eventualities! I'm not a big handbag person, so the ones I use wouldn't fit much, I've basically subbed this bag in instead of cramming stuff into an existing bag that has no separate pockets, I hate rooting in one giant space for stuff. This is mine: http://www.all4baby.ie/Summer-Infant-Izabel-Changing-Bag-p/izabel-bag.htm, quite a neat bag but fits loads with loads of pockets. I'll use it as an overnight bag when it's done as a changing bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My nappy bag for 2 has 3 nappies each, a full pack of wipes, sudocrem and vaseline, calgel, nappy bags, a changing mat, 4 bibs, 4 packets of raisins & a bag of rice cakes, an inhaler& spacer and assorted other meds depending on when Im leaving house! A spare €20 in a pocket in case I ever forget my wallet and a bottle and sippy cup of water. Oh and calpol or neurofen with a syringe.

Second nappy bag in car has more wipes, 1 spare change of clothes for the toddler and 2 for the baby and more spare nappies. And a spare top for me! Joys of reflux ;)

cyning wrote: »
    My nappy bag for 2 has 3 nappies each, a full pack of wipes, sudocrem and vaseline, calgel, nappy bags, a changing mat, 4 bibs, 4 packets of raisins & a bag of rice cakes, an inhaler& spacer and assorted other meds depending on when Im leaving house! A spare €20 in a pocket in case I ever forget my wallet and a bottle and sippy cup of water. Oh and calpol or neurofen with a syringe.

Second nappy bag in car has more wipes, 1 spare change of clothes for the toddler and 2 for the baby and more spare nappies. And a spare top for me! Joys of reflux ;)

Wow!!!!! That is a lot

I have a third nappy bag for the child minders ;)

In fairness though travelling light was never my thing!

Glad to see I'm not the only one carrying a big load around with me cyning 😊

Lovely bag spottybananas 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

I have nappies, wipes, spare clothes, nappy cream, hydrocortisone, nappy bags, my own inhaler, and spare soothers. I do a clear out every week because it annoys me when it gets too full!

If I'm going out for less than an hour, it's just one cloth nappy in a wetbag and 3 cloth wipes. If it's more than an hour and it covers a meal, it's coverall, tub of snacks, sippy cup, roll up place mat, 3 nappies, wipes, wetbag, mini cream, 1 spare soother, 1 toy.

I stopped lugging around meds ages ago. If there's an emergency I'd just pop into a chemist and buy some, it'll always get used and saves unnecessary weight. Same with clothes, he'd no reflux and very very rarely leaked his nappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I've a fisher price nappy bag that has great p variety of pockets, it wasn't expensive but it works great. We use it if bringing buggy for more than 2 hr. Usually have 1 cloth nappy, more if going to be out for more than 5ish hours. One change of clothes, plastic bags, small bag of dry disposable wipes and mini water bottle (suits his skin and also don't have to worry about pack of wipes drying out), spare soother, small chew toy, small pack disinfevting wipes, hand san, burp cloth, mat came with bag. I check it each time I use it but we only use it 3-4 times a week. if I'm going out with the sling I just use a handbag or shoulder bag with a travel changing mat that had pockets for a nappy, a few dry wipes in a sandwich bag, spare vest and soother. I don't bother with a water bottle then as there always is a tap in the changing area anyway. At the start I nearly brought the whole host but I've cut way back as he got bigger (8monthd), I just found what I needed.

Also must add that he very rarely puked and since I moved to cloth nappies we've hardly any leaks so guess that means we don't need as much clothes for changing him or burp cloths.

• Advertisement

Interesting. I think what I'm doing wrong is bringing the same bag with me no matter what the trip. I keep it in the basket under the buggy so it comes with me even for walks to the local shop. Then I'm like why is my bag so bulky that I've no room for groceries? I must start only bringing the fully packed bag when I'm gone for a long time!

If I'm going to the local shop or similar I just throw a nappy wipes and cream into the basket

If I'm only going to shops the nappy bag stays in the car! But then I live in a very small town ;)

Local shop I just take soothers...as it in only a five minute wacanine wouldn't change them on the side of the road :-) I pack for the trip, espically when out with the two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Ladies, i've a weird question for ya..

How are ye coping with any sort of 'baby' stuff in the news since you've become parents? Initially i thought it was just the hormones after pregnancy etc, but even 1.5 years after the last baby i find i cannot listen to, watch, or read any of those terrible news items about abandoned kids, abused kids, or sick kids. Or basically anything to do with babies or children.

I am constantly turning the radio off or trying not to look at news, and i get the feeling that the media keep exploiting these stories with as much mostly horrible detail as possible. If one of those items gets through, i feel like i just want to weep.

I defo wasnt like this before i became a mother.
    Is this weird? Normal?

Just wondering...

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

galah wrote: »

How are ye coping with any sort of 'baby' stuff in the news since you've become parents? Initially i thought it was just the hormones after pregnancy etc, but even 1.5 years after the last baby i find i cannot listen to, watch, or read any of those terrible news items about abandoned kids, abused kids, or sick kids. Or basically anything to do with babies or children.

I am constantly turning the radio off or trying not to look at news, and i get the feeling that the media keep exploiting these stories with as much mostly horrible detail as possible. If one of those items gets through, i feel like i just want to weep.

Is this weird? Normal?

Just wondering...

Thank god I'm not alone!! I cannot watch or listen to anything like that since my daughter was born 3 years ago. I well up at all those ads a bout poverty too.
    I was never like that before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Is this weird? Normal?

Just wondering...
    I wasn't remotely like that before I was about half way through my pregnancy. Now these stories make me a weepy mess, even now my son is 3 years old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I have a bag i bought in pennys. its a fabric bag . i have a 3yr old and 13mnth old. i have about 4-5 bibs (hes a shocking dribbler)
    2 beakers of water,
    2 nappys for 13mnth old
    wipes
    1 muslin
    nappy bags
    and a box of snacks (rice cakes, bread sticks, cereal bars)
    i actually have more food in the bag than anything. also then my purse, phone, diary etc. i have to go looking for a hand bag on the rare occasion i go anywhere without the kids.

i leave a bag in the car with extra nappies, and a change of clothes for both but cant remember the last time i needed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Is this weird? Normal?

Just wondering...

Yep, same here. I wouldn't say I was hard-hearted before, but god I can't handle anything since. Like the little newborn that was found abandoned in Dublin this week, I couldnt finish the article. Thinking about the poor wee mite out there in the cold, never mind the poor mother after giving birth and the state she might be in.

Its not just babies for me, a few months ago I was watching Prime Time (I think) on the abuse in a home for people with special needs in Mayo. I burst out crying and sobbed on the couch when they showed one of the videos, I was inconsolable for a few minutes. It was all just so awful, I'm welling up thinking about it even now! My hubs hit the nail on the head as he said 'you're a mother now'.

I saw an article that showed that mammal mothers will respond to distress cries of a baby mammal, even if it is of another species. I'm assuming its a hormonal thing, I imagine it can only help survival if mothers are driven very strongly to protect babies. Awful for us but good for our babies :/

• Advertisement

Is this weird? Normal?

Just wondering...

O god yes!!! Anything like this now leaves me in a blubbering mess!!! I hate hearing about these things. And I'm also on the verge of closing my Facebook account as lots if people will put things up that appear on my new feed... And me being me HAS to go and read it even tho I know it will upset me for the day! I'm glad it's not just me. I get so unbelievably emotional and sad.... :(

Advertisement