Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Woshy, at some point he might gnaw through the dummys. If he does, it's likely that he'll lose interest in it a bit and you can explain that it's broken now, show him where he broke it, and that it has to go in the bin. That's how it worked in our house.

Bottles is the next thing to sort here in the next week or so, long overdue, but he loves them. Reducing isn't working so I think Bop-Bop fairy needs to pay a visit, and ride out the storm. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My 3.5 year old still has a small bottle of milk every evening about 30 mins before bed. It's the only way she'll drink milk for me, and I don't see the harm really. I'm waiting for her to chew through the teat so I can tell her it has to go in the bin, but unfortunately she has never been a chewer of years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Im worried my lad might be behind with speaking as well. He's almost 21 months and only really has a couple of recognisable words. He has lots of sounds, and when he babbles it has the intonation and inflections of speech, but very few words. No, up, 'mom (as in, C'mom! All he ever hears from me lol!) adda (which I think is dada) and gone. That's it. I have to see my GP soon so I think I'll make an appointment for him and ask her to check his ears and refer him for SALT. No harm being on the waiting list, if he catches up I can take him off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

nikpmup wrote: »
    Im worried my lad might be behind with speaking as well. He's almost 21 months and only really has a couple of recognisable words. He has lots of sounds, and when he babbles it has the intonation and inflections of speech, but very few words. No, up, 'mom (as in, C'mom! All he ever hears from me lol!) adda (which I think is dada) and gone. That's it. I have to see my GP soon so I think I'll make an appointment for him and ask her to check his ears and refer him for SALT. No harm being on the waiting list, if he catches up I can take him off it.

You're right that there's no harm having him on the waiting list, however at that age he's certainly not delayed as such, he's just at the later end of the usual range. And not a thing wrong with that! My own baby is a couple of months younger and - like your son - does lots of babbling but very few words. The important thing to me is that he's able to communicate (and he certainly is!)

Think of it this way, I assume you (like all parents!) waited for the milestones like when he first rolled over, when he first crawled, stood, walked, etc. Chances are somewhere along the way he was "behind" when you saw other babies his age and younger doing these things, but chances are when he finally did whatever it was, you were just so happy at him doing it that it didn't really matter that it was a little later than others. This'll be no different, hopefully, and he'll be one of those toddlers that wakes up one morning spewing out full sentences! :)

Problem is, he was a good bit behind with his motor skills, he's only really catching up now. He had to have physio for a year. He was a little premature, but even taking his corrected age into consideration he was behind. I'm wondering about his ears too, he' always at them, and if I try to clean them or take his temp he goes doolaly, roars the house down, even though I'm very gentle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Funnily enough, we got a letter from the HSE calling us for his speech and language therapy assessment at the end of July. We were told because of the waiting list the appointment wouldn't be until October. Because he's catching up I was thinking he might be discharged but if the appointment is only three weeks away he might still be a bit behind and need some therapy. We'll see.

We've decided to leave the dummy/bottle worry for the future when he a) has a better understanding and can be reasoned with a bit more and b) we don't have a newborn in the house. We're finding him very tough to handle at the moment, he's really hit the terrible twos hard ( so much so that we actually had a conversation earlier about whether his behaviour is beyond that of a normal 2 year old, as difficult as they all are). We really don't have the energy for a battle with him at the moment. Everyday is evough of a battle already - that probably makes us terrible parents :( no doubt the SLT will tell us off. Maybe I should lie and say we stopped them already!! :P

Grommets are something I often hear mentioned for ears, although in all honestly I've no idea what exactly they are or why they're needed! Does he get ear infections? I know quite a few toddlers who have needed to get grommets inserted, it seems a fairly common thing, I know of a few cases where the child's speech improved dramatically as a result.

Grommets drain fluid build up in the ear. If your toddler has fluid built up their hearing will be seriously muffled so they can't hear words etc properly. An audiologist needs to check for that, I'm fairly sure a GP wouldn't be able to tell. We took our son to the beacon privately to get his hearing checked as it's the first thing the SLT will ask. His hearing was fine but he had had a few ear infections so the audiologist said he may have had fluid build up that corrected itself but did delay his speech a little bit.

Nikpmup - it might be worth getting his hearing checked if you think he's at his ears? We got referred for both an audiologist and SLT by our phn but the wait was v long fir the audiologist so we just paid ourselves to get it done ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

My fella is 16 months and we're on day 3 of cold turkey no boba, all is going well so far. I tried cutting out the morning one a few months back but it wasn't working so I've been bombarding him with the doidy cup since, putting water in it and playing games with it etc to get him used to it.

Our dining table arrived this week (we had none in our old house so he was only ever in the highchair) and I sat him at it and told him he was at the big boy table with mammy and daddy now so no more bottles. He probably had no idea what I was on about but he was too distracted by the novelty of the table to care :D He's now drinking 3 cups of milk a day instead of 2 bottles. Tbh, I'm suspicious of how seemingly easy it has been and am expecting some histrionics at some stage next week :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Nikpmup, our toddler was the same at 21 months and now at 27 he's still the same :( his hearing was checking 2 months ago and although his hearing seems ok, he has fluid in both ears. The audiologist will reassess him next month to ensure it didn't drain itself and then it's into ENT consult to discuss grommets. He is asthmatic and has lots of ear infections so I think he's probably a classic case of glue ear. He's always been a tad behind on things. His motor skills are good but he was slow to walk and although he processes a lot of what we say, other times he's just doing his own thing (again might be related to what's he's hearing). He's on the SLT list with the HSE since February and we just got letter to say it'll be another 9-11 months until he gets called.

yellow hen wrote: »
    Nikpmup, our toddler was the same at 21 months and now at 27 he's still the same :( his hearing was checking 2 months ago and although his hearing seems ok, he has fluid in both ears. The audiologist will reassess him next month to ensure it didn't drain itself and then it's into ENT consult to discuss grommets. He is asthmatic and has lots of ear infections so I think he's probably a classic case of glue ear. He's always been a tad behind on things. His motor skills are good but he was slow to walk and although he processes a lot of what we say, other times he's just doing his own thing (again might be related to what's he's hearing). He's on the SLT list with the HSE since February and we just got letter to say it'll be another 9-11 months until he gets called.
    Oh Yellow Hen - that waiting list is crazy! Are you in Dublin? We live in Bray so technically Wicklow which I presume is why the wait was much shorter for us. We got referred the middle of April and assessment is end of July. I'm still glad we went privately to get him assessed too though, we think a lot of his improvement is from us working hard with him using the SLTs suggestions. We did know his hearing was fine though so that probably made a difference.

He's only had one ear infection, in February, but he definitely hates anyone at his ears since. Think I'll get him seen and get the ball rolling, my neice has a serious speech delay and I've seen how hard its been. No harm getting him checked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Definitely no harm in getting the ball rolling if you're worried, nikpmup. Some kids just burst into language a little later than others, some might have a language delay. It's no harm getting it checked out and hopefully by the time you get to be seen you won't be needing it. I've worked a good bit with kids with speech delays/problems in the past and early intervention can make a huge difference. How's his understanding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

The couple in the house across the way from us have just had a new baby. We've never met them or bumped into them but I noticed a big bump a few weeks ago. Anyway they don't seem to have had many visitors though I saw 2 girls put up new baby balloons the day they got home from hospital.

I am in a sentimental mood (prob cos it reminds me of getting home from hospital with new bubs) and was thinking of calling over with a card and present (lunch or dinner) or else dropping the stuff at the door with a note and my mobile no if she wanted to meet.

My oh thinks it would come across as psycho and like I have been watching them out my window (we are both in 2nd floor duplex apartments so our window looks into their front door). What do u think? I suppose I would think it was nice if it happened to me but also a bit freaky. Should I wait a few weeks maybe, let her get settled in? Or not at all?

I think calling over to a new mum with a card and a dinner sounds lovely, but it would probably be best just to drop it in with your contact info on a label so she can follow up to thank you when the dust has settled. If you go in with a lasagne and stay for 6 hours, then that's psycho territory :D

Especially if you have a baby or toddler too, it can be a playmate down the line for each other, or support if she wants another mum to chat to. I got chatting to a neighbour who I recognised from the estate in the park, and we really hit it off and so did our kids, they have regular play dates now and we chat away. It's really nice.

• Advertisement

Thanks Neyite, that's good advice! I don't want to impose but who wouldn't like a ready made dinner and a note to say hi 😊. Even if they think it's weird they should still enjoy the dinner.

I'd like to offer to help with washing or let her have a shower but that's probably too much from a stranger!

I was surprised by how many gifts we got from neighbours (some that we had never even met!) after the birth of our first. Most just knocked, chatted for a minute on the doorstep and handed the gifts in (to a tired and puke covered me :o ) and some just left the presents outside in the porch with a card saying who they were. I was geniunely touched and definitley didn't feel imposed on by it. Embarrasingly, I never got around to sending out thank you cards but I did manage to thank them all in person afterwards :o

I think that's a lovely idea. :) Maternity leave can be very lonely at times, especially at the start, I'm sure she'd appreciate having someone to chat to!

One thing I would suggest ... seeing as you don't know her yet, it may be a better idea to drop in something like a M&S ready-meal, rather than a home-cooked meal? You don't know if either them have an allergies/intolerances, so at least with a ready-meal they'll have the ingredients and nutritional info there.

I definitely don't think you'll come across as being a psycho, it sounds like a very nice and thoughtful thing to do. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

We got tonnes of gifts from people I'd never event met before so don't worry, it's common practice, babies bring out the best in people! :) I became friendly with a lovely girl in our apartment block when she was heavily pregnant with her second little one and we'd always stop and chat for ages so when she had her little boy I dropped in a card and a dotey little vest in her mailbox and she was delighted. I personally wouldn't cook for someone I don't know, it's quite a familiar thing to do imho and similarly, Id probably be a bit funny if someone dropped food around to me if I don't know them. Then there's the hassle of returning crockery etc. I'd say drop something small in for the baby with a note and your number etc

Thanks guys, that's lovely to hear that other people got gifts from people they didn't know. It would warm the heart!

I will steer clear of a home cooked meal so and get something else. Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Has anyone any experience of cardiology in Crumlin: have an appt next week, she's getting an echo and meeting a consultant: how long does it usually take? It's a 1245 appt is it worth arriving early? Also what about parking: public transport is just not an option from Kerry! Childminder is keeping S for us so trying to figure out what time we will be home :) thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

cyning wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of cardiology in Crumlin: have an appt next week, she's getting an echo and meeting a consultant: how long does it usually take? It's a 1245 appt is it worth arriving early? Also what about parking: public transport is just not an option from Kerry! Childminder is keeping S for us so trying to figure out what time we will be home :) thanks!
    First time we went I think appt was for 2, seen about 3 (nurse then echo then consultant) and finished about 5 I think. Once you get called by nurse for weigh in it's v quick to ECG as I discovered when I tried to feed baba after nurse had seen her (and the ECG nurse was v snotty about me not being ready..) then it's a bit of a wait again to meet the consultant to go thru results.
    Second time we waited almost 2 hrs to get called by nurse. When I checked with reception they hadn't logged us in properly! After that was quick again.
    Parking I didn't have any issue with. It is busy but there were spaces both times. Can't remember how much it was but worth it anyway to be right beside the hospital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I was there 2 years ago. When I was there the parking was cash only - so have change and good luck

Ah I'm not one bit worried about her it's utterly a precaution: needs to be done though; stupid family history! I don't care how much it is once I can get a space so that's good... Hopefully will be in and out quickly enough. My main worry is getting her to lie still enough for the echo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Hi all, I've been MIA for so long because we have been building an extension and life has been crazy! I decided it was time to re connect with the mummy community as I have just found out number 3 is on the way. Hope everyone is doing great!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Awesome Emmadilemma! Massive congratulations!!! :)

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Awesome Emmadilemma! Massive congratulations!!! :)

Thanks so much! I'm terrified lol but excited :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Big congrats Emmadilemma :) How far apart will your kids be?

When out walking, is anyone else's toddler in the habit of insisting on running off the opposite direction? Walks are a real hassle for us at the moment because as soon as he's on his own two feet he'll run off the way we have just come. One of us will go after him and then there'll be a big tantrum when bringing him back. Then it will repeat for the rest of the walk.
    I know it sounds trivial but it is ruining what used to be nice walks and with two dogs, we really need to actually get somewhere, so they can be exercised!
    I don't know why he insists on going in the opposite direction every single time. Do/did any of you have this experience and how did you encourage them to walk with you instead? Distraction does not seem to work for us..

When out walking, is anyone else's toddler in the habit of insisting on running off the opposite direction? Walks are a real hassle for us at the moment because as soon as he's on his own two feet he'll run off the way we have just come. One of us will go after him and then there'll be a big tantrum when bringing him back. Then it will repeat for the rest of the walk.
    I know it sounds trivial but it is ruining what used to be nice walks and with two dogs, we really need to actually get somewhere, so they can be exercised!
    I don't know why he insists on going in the opposite direction every single time. Do/did any of you have this experience and how did you encourage them to walk with you instead? Distraction does not seem to work for us..

Toddler reins or wrist strap. Don't care what it looks like. They're a lifesaver. My lad puts his arms out for them when he wants to go for a wallk!!

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/safety/c-625/home-safety/p-3275/clippasafe-wrist-link/

Thanks a million. I have 2 and 4 year old so hopefully I won't be under too much pressure when number 3 arrives lol *crosses everything*

My son used to do this. Not just the other direction but literally any other direction other than the one we were going in. He lived to really test the boundaries! I started a traffic light system with him where I let him run ahead on green and when he was getting too far I might say orange or red until I caught up with him and then I'd give him the green light again. He seemed to enjoy it too.

• Advertisement

Reins - prepare to be judged by other parents though - auld wans tend to nod approvingly at them I find :p . I was in Mothercare the other day and he was starting to do his old trick of hiding in the clothes rails and I threatened him with the reins if he didn't come back to hold my hand. There was a bloke there (I'm guessing PFB Dad to be) who heard me and sanctimoniously said "oh, do those things work then?" with a bit of a sneer at my clearly abusive parental skills. Toddler promptly lands back beside me and takes my hand as I replied bluntly "well, the threat of them does!" I used to offer him the choice of the buggy or reins.

He used to bolt. Every time. So the reins went on once or twice and now the threat of them usually works. Other suggestions are to do a walk, but be prepared to deliberately cut it short and go home when he misbehaves. That might take a couple of attempts, but they'll learn that their behaviour cuts short an outing, so again, the threat of doing that sometimes works. It took a while for me to teach him - maybe about a year but I persevered with smaller outings that I could abandon if he played up and now he's pretty good at staying beside me. Mostly.

A poster here suggested that you occasionally hand out a smartie when they are walking nicely alongside you. Just one, and occasionally. They then subconsciously see that walking beside you has better benefits than running off.

I don't give a fiddler's sh!te what other parents think of my son on reins! He's happy, they've saved him a good number of times from splitting himself (he has a tendency to fall - a lot! - so if he stumbles when he's on the reins I just pull up and he doesn't hurt himself) and I don't restrict his movement, I just use them to guide him. In busy shopping centres they're a lifesaver, he wants to get out of the buggy and walk but he'd be a nightmare loose! We live in a busy area on a major road, knowing he can't suddenly dart out in front of a bus is worth any tut-tutting stare (Not that tut tuts would bother me/encourage me to change my ways! :D)

Reins are amazing! I usually take the toddler for a walk myself (around the block) and let her free. But the other walks are in the buggy especially if I have an actual errand to run

bp wrote: »
    Reins are amazing! I usually take the toddler for a walk myself (around the block) and let her free. But the other walks are in the buggy especially if I have an actual errand to run

I like the reins too but my son would stall. He would literally root himself to the spot when I put them on so I had to abandon use lol the buggy board he kept leaping off and then I'd end up standing on him. They really do like to make things as hard as possible 😂

I like the reins too but my son would stall. He would literally root himself to the spot when I put them on so I had to abandon use lol the buggy board he kept leaping off and then I'd end up standing on him. They really do like to make things as hard as possible 😂

It's what they are good at!!!! 20 minutes to literally walk five houses down the road... Licking (yes licking) lampposts takes time! I nearly died when I saw the tongue out!

bp wrote: »
    It's what they are good at!!!! 20 minutes to literally walk five houses down the road... Licking (yes licking) lampposts takes time! I nearly died when I saw the tongue out!

My son went through a licking phase. It's hilarious. He would lick walls and ppl. Embarrassingly funny. I always find once you have your biggest challenge the other stuff gets easier. I was having panic attacks going to disney (I was 100% convinced I'd lose one) and since we have been back all the things that I used to find hard seem easier.

We haven't licked people yet!!!

We like to hug and kiss cars and houses here.... You get very odd looks for that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We use the reins too. He has no problem with them at all. We never yank on them, they are just a gentle guide. He's a wild one racing off everywhere after cars, birds, dogs, bikes. Looper! Thankfully no licking yet. He's only 18 mths and walked through a festival in a town here in Germany today. No bother on him. Everyone here laughs when they see him on a lead. No evil glares of anything. I think they understand when he screams like a banshee with excitement and tries to jump on a dog! He refuses to hold our hands at all unless we are going to swing him like a monkey!

Also for walks I just kind of let him lead, as long as we are moving I dont mind where we go!

• Advertisement

Where can you buy the reins? I can't seem to find any on the mothercare website.

Edit: Nevermind I just found them on the argos site :o

Where can you buy the reins? I can't seem to find any on the mothercare website.

Edit: Nevermind I just found them on the argos site :o

We had these ones when T started to walk. We don't use them now... And don't seem to need them on L yet as she holds out hand. But T wouldn't walk with us for love nor money a year ago. He's still not great at walking beside us. I have to make him hold my hand and he's always trying to get away. But he's a lot better than he was.

http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-littlelife-safety-harness/1128d7000/type-i/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I like the reins too but my son would stall. He would literally root himself to the spot when I put them on so I had to abandon use lol ‚

OMG, I am delighted we are not the only ones. we bought those expensive backpacks. The minute it goes on he refuse point blank to move. its like he is glued to the ground.

Take it off, and he is gone :(:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

We got a yellow lion one from boots. Think it's the same brand as trunki? We put it on him in the house without the rein part first so he'd get used to the feel of it. Also he was young, like 14 months. I'd say he'd be having none of it if we starting with it now!

Has anyone been to see Prof Karina Buckley in Crumlin and know what waiting lists are like? And what she's like? I'll give a ring tomorrow just impatient to know.

Also S is probably immunocompromised in someway: neither her pertussis or tetanus vaccinations have worked. I know we've suspected for a while but just got those results today and not seeing immunologist until Sept. Does anyone here have a child who is? Just wondering how you deal practically speaking... Even if someone reading wants to pm me Id really appreciate it. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Sorry to hear that cyning.

I assume you mean Karina Butler? I can't help on the waiting lists or anything but I know of her through work and she is extremely knowledgeable so I'll keep everything crossed for you that she can give you some answers.

• Advertisement

Yup I do mean Karina Butler :) I'm going to blame my hubby for that he was on writing things duty!

Thank you so much I'm torn between everything at the moment I'm so angry and cross and at the same time relieved we are finally getting somewhere. Because she cannot keep getting sick so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

I've seen your posts over the past year or more and it's been a tough time for all of you - it really sounds like you're seeing the right people now so hopefully there are brighter days ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I've seen your posts over the past year or more and it's been a tough time for all of you - it really sounds like you're seeing the right people now so hopefully there are brighter days ahead.

I totally second that view. I've also seen your posts and on numerous occasions I've thought of you. I hope the sickness is coming to an end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Good luck cyning. I've always thought that being sick is the easier part; not knowing what's wrong and how to treat it is just horrendous. Better times are waiting for you.

Cyning I hope the waiting lost isn't too long. Fingers crossed. Really hope you guys get sorted x

• Advertisement
Advertisement