Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Ah it could be worse in fairness: S is very smily and happy, fights with her sister, and is pretty placid aside from the fighting! It's the small things like how when the doc takes the stethoscope she lifts up her top for them, or sticks out her tongue when they come at her with the light to look down her throat is hard: she's such a baby to know what they are doing to her. I'm so relieved all her metabolic tests were normal, and she's gaining weight now: she's finally going into 12-18 month clothes at 17 months! So we will figure this out and it will be so much easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Cyning just wanted to send a virtual hug. You are a great mam and I am wishing your little baba gets seen soon. Your story always gives a good kick up the bum if I am feeling a bit sorry for myself after a sleepless night. Really hope you get good news x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

cyning wrote: »
    Ah it could be worse in fairness: S is very smily and happy, fights with her sister, and is pretty placid aside from the fighting! It's the small things like how when the doc takes the stethoscope she lifts up her top for them, or sticks out her tongue when they come at her with the light to look down her throat is hard: she's such a baby to know what they are doing to her. I'm so relieved all her metabolic tests were normal, and she's gaining weight now: she's finally going into 12-18 month clothes at 17 months! So we will figure this out and it will be so much easier :)

Wishing you and your family all the best. I hope you get the answers you're looking for soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Just wondering what all of your toddlers have for breaky? I've an 19 month old baby who no longer eats wheatabix. Some mornings we have scrambled eggs and toast but not mornings we are in a rush! She snacks on fruit and yoghurt during the day. It's nearly but not just porridge weather yet! Dont want to give her children's breakfast cereals. Just need ideas and suggestions. Thanks

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ordinary cornflakes, rice crispies, weetabix here. I know plenty who eat porridge year round so if she is happy to eat that, go for it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Porridge regardless of the weather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Weatabix or ready Brek year round here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

ready brek year round! I usually put some berries or banana into it. Blue porridge is a winner in this house! (from the blueberries!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Our 19 month old eats a mix of baby porridge and ordinary porridge for breakfast every day. he seems to like it so we havn't changed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Yup we do ready brek/weetabix all year round too. I'll sometimes throw a dollop of jam or honey into the ready brek. Our fella loves it, he constantly asks for it at teatime as well as breakfast :D Sometimes if I'm in a rush I'll give him a piece of toast on the go with fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Weetabix here all year round. They've been asking for porridge lately so I get the one from kids with apricots and raisins in it. We put honey and cinnamon in whichever they have. At the weekends they'd have boiled egg with butter or an omelette as well as their weetabix. They had ready trek in their nannys last week and they liked it but I'd prefer them to have porridge if they like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Weetbix warm with a handful of Cheerios/rice crispies.

Hi guys, looking for some advice and some good healthy energy boosting foods. I'm literally falling apart in work the last 2 weeks and I'm struggling to keep my eyes open never mind getting any actual work done! I think I may have to rethink the 6am start if I can't get it together! I'm a mess lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Mac0783

Emma could your iron levels be low? Low iron levels / anemia can cause fatigue. I started taking a multi vitamin with iron and folic acid a few months ago and have more energy now. Might be something you could try?

Mac0783 wrote: »
    Emma could your iron levels be low? Low iron levels / anemia can cause fatigue. I started taking a multi vitamin with iron and folic acid a few months ago and have more energy now. Might be something you could try?

Thanks a mill. My iron is prob low but my days are so long that I would normally rely on redbull in the afternoon to give myself a bit of a boost. I have started taking pregnacare but I just need a fast acting redbull replacement for late afternoon lol I seen a few berries and nuts that are good for an energy boost but the are really obscure and difficult to get your hands on. Somebody suggested pumpkin seeds? Not sure about that lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

You could try some vitamin c? I've been taking the dissolvable kelkin and find they're great. There's loads of different brands that you can get in tesco or pharmacy. It may all be psychological etc but I have to say I feel more energetic and awake. I think they are ok during pregnancy but check with your gp just to be sure. Also as the previous poster said, maybe get your iron levels checked.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

B-complex and magnesium.

Sweet potato cakes are great as well

John Mason wrote: »
    B-complex and magnesium.

Sweet potato cakes are great as well

Sweet potato cakes are def something I would happily munch on at my desk! I do really like the kelkin drinks aswell but my pharmacist told me I couldn't have it during my last pregnancy. I'll have to double check that!

Sweet potato cakes are def something I would happily munch on at my desk! I do really like the kelkin drinks aswell but my pharmacist told me I couldn't have it during my last pregnancy. I'll have to double check that!

Yes I think I would check with your gp as opposed to pharmacist. Perhaps they can't be taken during pregnancy but I find pharmacists will tell you not to take anything while pregnant including Even things for haemorrhoids which my gp told me I could definitely take!! So check with gp. I think pharmacists err on the side of caution with pregnant ladies :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Just wondering what all of your toddlers have for breaky? I've an 19 month old baby who no longer eats wheatabix. Some mornings we have scrambled eggs and toast but not mornings we are in a rush! She snacks on fruit and yoghurt during the day. It's nearly but not just porridge weather yet! Dont want to give her children's breakfast cereals. Just need ideas and suggestions. Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. Ready break and porridge going down a storm with all three of us at home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

How far gone are you emmadilemma? I'm wrecked too the last week or so Hoping second trimester might help me out too

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I think pharmacists err on the side of caution with pregnant ladies :)

I had to fight with a pharmacist in Boots to sell me a bottle of Corsodyl mouthwash when I was pregnant :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I had to fight with a pharmacist in Boots to sell me a bottle of Corsodyl mouthwash when I was pregnant :eek: :pac:

I know someone who wasn't allowed to buy strepsils !!

Ya they really wont advise anything at all. Think mine warned me against annusol cream for piles (tmi) lol. I think that stuff is crap anyway... But GP then said I could take any of that stuff like scheriproct etc.. Just aswell... Hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My GP wouldn't prescribe antibiotics/steroids when I was having an asthma flare. He wanted to wait and see if the inhalers would kick it (he knew well that had never worked when I was this bad before). I ended up in the emergency room in the coombe where they immediately gave me IV steroids, nebs and antibiotics ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I couldn't buy paracetamol from one pharmacist when I was pregnant last time. It's the one thing you can take normally no questions asked! I wouldn't mind but it was the only time I had a headache in the entire pregnancy!

Lashes28 wrote: »
    How far gone are you emmadilemma? I'm wrecked too the last week or so Hoping second trimester might help me out too

I'm 7 weeks and I'm exhausted and huge lol I was told this would happen on my 3rd pregnancy! It's def much harder but possibly something to do with the fact that I have two children to look after this time :-P I'm thinking my dates could be wrong aswell though because I'm very clearly pregnant. There is no hiding it!

Lol I'm 13 weeks and I look about 6 months!! I'm wrecked too, managed a sneaky nap today but I'm no better after it,

Any tips for bum rash? My 7 month old is teething and her poor little bum is raw, I let her free from nappy for most of today to let air at it,n have caldesenne and sudocrem but any other magic potions??

Lol I'm 13 weeks and I look about 6 months!! I'm wrecked too, managed a sneaky nap today but I'm no better after it,

Any tips for bum rash? My 7 month old is teething and her poor little bum is raw, I let her free from nappy for most of today to let air at it,n have caldesenne and sudocrem but any other magic potions??

If sudocreme or caldascene aren't working you could try daktarin. Morhulin was recommended to me by a few ppl but I didn't think it was any better than any other nappy creams. I really like the la Roche Posay cicaplast as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Orabase and vaseline mixed together: it's my go to since they recommended it in the hosp: it's a total barrier so stops the wee and poo aggravating it and lets it clear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My 3.5 year old put on all his clothes by himself yesterday! Right way round and everything! He was so proud of himself! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Canestan nappy cream - works wonders!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My 18 mth old just said 'einstein' it's the cats name. How can he say that and not mama? Wtf? So first word dada, second granny, third einstein. Raging.

My 18 mth old just said 'einstein' it's the cats name. How can he say that and not mama? Wtf? So first word dada, second granny, third einstein. Raging.

Sorry but that is hillarious!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

bp wrote: »
    Sorry but that is hillarious!!!!

I know! Trying to laugh about it here! Really shows me my place anyway! He really had no words other than dada until last week. So I was really working on the mama thing. Then granny comes to stay and out pops granny and Einstein!

This will be a grudge I'll hold forever I think....

Don't worry both of mine gave their first smiles to other people....I am holding firmly onto that grudge!

I know we're not supposed to talk about other forums on boards.ie but I know a few of ye are on mumsnet too so just thought I'd warn anyone who hasn't heard. The person who hacked the mumsnet site last week has tweeted a list of 3000 usernames, passwords and ip adresses so if you are registered on mn, you should change your password and any other accounts you use the password for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My 18 month old has an amazing range of words, but recently when she says hello or goodbye it's now "hi crocodile" or "bye bye crocodile" - I ask why but I still haven't gotten an answer!

My 18 month old has an amazing range of words, but recently when she says hello or goodbye it's now "hi crocodile" or "bye bye crocodile" - I ask why but I still haven't gotten an answer!

See you later alligator.... In a while crocodile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

See ya later, alligator..... In a while crocodile!! Sounds like a toddler translation of that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I know, but we've never used that phase, or anyone around us. She started saying crocodile about a month ago, can point out one in a book. So she just seems to love the word so much it's now pinned onto every phrase! So we ask "say, bye bye to dada" and she says "bye, bye crocodile"

Also I think the word is from the pirate song from Jake and the never land pirates!

I know, but we've never used that phase, or anyone around us. She started saying crocodile about a month ago, can point out one in a book. So she just seems to love the word so much it's now pinned onto every phrase! So we ask "say, bye bye to dada" and she says "bye, bye crocodile"

Also I think the word is from the pirate song from Jake and the never land pirates!

Lol. O yea mine love jake aswell. They have a croc on that too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Anyone know the ages for PHN check-ups ... can't even remember when our last one was, but I think it was before he was a year old (he's now 20 months.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

There's one between 7-9 months and then the next one isn't til they're nearly 2 (so soon!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Dolbert wrote: »
    There's one between 7-9 months and then the next one isn't til they're nearly 2 (so soon!)

I think it's 3, my son had his a forthnight ago

Circa 18 months and then again at 3

My little man started school last week on Thursday and has his first full week this week! Well... I'm as proud as punch. No messing. Straight into his classroom in the morning without any fuss and onto a chair! He is doing so good! I don't know why I was dreading it so much. He was very nervous about it being a Gael Scoil as he has had very little exposure but my little sponge is having a ball and taking it all in! Phew!!!

So by the looks of things I'll have a 13 month old when newborn arrives, I've started to look at buggies, we had bought the cameleon, oh wants us to get a donkey, but I don't want to spend more crazy money on a buggy.
    So I was wondering if Any of you mammies could recommend a buggy??

Would something like this be too flimsy?

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/obaby-leto-twin-stroller-and-footmuffs-little-cutie-and-sailor/1431121323.prd?crossSellType=item_page.recs_1m

In the beginning the only reason I'd have to be out is for a school run. So it probably won't 've for a few months until I get out properly with them .

So by the looks of things I'll have a 13 month old when newborn arrives, I've started to look at buggies, we had bought the cameleon, oh wants us to get a donkey, but I don't want to spend more crazy money on a buggy.

Would something like this be too flimsy?

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/obaby-leto-twin-stroller-and-footmuffs-little-cutie-and-sailor/1431121323.prd?crossSellType=item_page.recs_1m

In the beginning the only reason I'd have to be out is for a school run. So it probably won't 've for a few months until I get out properly with them .

If your looking for a double I'd recommend Phil and teds. I've never had one. I have the iCandy peach double but I kept thinking after I bought it that I would have got better use out of Phil and ted. My childminder uses one and its a great little buggy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

We had just over 13 months between our two. We bought a Jane Powertrain secondhand- it best suited out needs (esp. because we found the doubles side by side a nightmare for walks- it was just too wide in the village we live in we were constantly having to leave the footpath and go on the road- because parking bollards, trees, roots coming up through the footpaths etc- meant a longer rather than a wider one worked better for us. Note- we burst several wheels on the Jane- the local bicycle repair shop were almost on retainer.

Edit- one thing to consider is the size of these if you're going to be putting them in the boot and driving somewhere- they can be enormous- or if it may be needed indoors on rare occasions (running when its raining and you want to get in the house asap before you put it down- does it fit through the door etc........)

Advertisement