Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I have the city select jogger - it takes a car seat, pram and seat combo etc, big basket and can be used as a single too.

It is big in your boot and although very easy to push, is heavy to lift into boot. Rain cover must be bought separately but get in sale as a combo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I have a Phil & teds, just in process of selling it but it's been fantastic! There was a bigger age gap between mine but my first wasn't walking when my second was born. The Phil and teds is very slimline, realised its actually slimmer than my quinny. I know some people want the side by side, my friend had a nipper and she loved it

It depends on how much you're going to use it, if it's a lot maybe something more sturdy than the stroller you posted might be better. Congrats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Thanks lads. Well I'm not sure how often I'll actually get out of the house with them!!and due in Feb so weather depending too But I Defo need something,I've only started to look. So will investigate all of your recommendations thanks very much all

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Thanks lads. Well I'm not sure how often I'll actually get out of the house with them!!and due in Feb so weather depending too But I Defo need something,I've only started to look. So will investigate all of your recommendations thanks very much all

My second was born in February and I got out a lot more than my first who was born in July! Having a toddler and a newborn meant I needed to get out :) If you're buying new keep an eye on sales pre and post Christmas, if second hand there are some great options out there

Lol I suppose I will be itching to get out the door, my other was a Jan baby, the weather didn't keep me in tho. She did!! So fingers crossed for a good baby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

My first was January and he got out a good bit at first but was very fussy as he got bigger and I couldn't face it. Second baby was text book good as gold slept all night and she was April. it was a great summer so we got out loads and even got up to Donegal when she was 5 weeks. She was an absolute dream. Logistically I think I will be housebound when 3 comes along next year. I've seen much better mothers than me struggle a bit when the 3rd comes along so I'm hoping I will surprise myself and manage. Managing is all I can hope for lol

Logistically I think I will be housebound when 3 comes along next year. I've seen much better mothers than me struggle a bit when the 3rd comes along so I'm hoping I will surprise myself and manage. Managing is all I can hope for lol

See, here is my point at stopping at two ;) I worry that when they outnumber you then there's no hope, and I come from a family of 6!

See, here is my point at stopping at two ;) I worry that when they outnumber you then there's no hope, and I come from a family of 6!

2 was the dream but sure someone upstairs thought that wasn't enough ha ha it took me a minute but I'm excited now but absolutely terrified ha ha

See we have a gap, 10 year old, 13month and newborn. We were hoping for a 2/3 year break before getting pregnant again, but like you other forces had different ideas lol.
    I'm so nervous over how I'll cope, not so much at home but doing school runs and having to get out at a certain time when oh is working .
    We had a baby that was constantly hungry and never settled in her buggy until very recently. Never had a soother either so wouldn't calm with anything. So I pray for an easier baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

We had 12 months between ours and we got the baby jogger city mini double. It's so light and easy to maneuver and I find it brilliant for getting out walking but a pain if you're going to be dragging in and out of a car boot all the time. For going shopping or somewhere in the car, we have the baby jogger mini single for the toddler and an ergo carrier for the baby to go in.

I was worried about how I would cope too. I found sticking to a strict routine worked for us. Organise, organise, organise. Get all clothes and changing bags etc ready to go the night before. If we are going anywhere in the morning, it's straight downstairs and into the car or buggy where they will get toast and fruit for brekkie. I find that if I bring them downstairs and try to feed them in the kitchen, they get distracted and go off wandering (as do I :o ) and it takes way longer to get out of the house. Also, I tidy around downstairs after the kids are in bed so that I'm never facing into a mess in the morning because mess really stresses me out.

• Advertisement

There's 18 months between mine but number 1 wasn't walking so I had two to carry as she bum shuffled and you can't do that everywhere! Like someone else said, organisation!

I am now able to get out of the house quicker with 2 than I ever did with 1!

There's 18 months between mine but number 1 wasn't walking so I had two to carry as she bum shuffled and you can't do that everywhere! Like someone else said, organisation!

I am now able to get out of the house quicker with 2 than I ever did with 1!

I actually found it much easier with 2 than 1 aswell. People looked at me like I was mad when I said it lol I feel the wheels will really come off when 3 comes though.

Does anyone else find the Huggies pure wipes in the new packets absolutely awful. Have they changed the formula or something? We've been using the aldi sensitive ones for the last few months but were caught short on Wednesday and picked up some Huggies ones. 2 days later and my little girl has nappy rash which she never had before. And every second wipe breaks! AND they're almost dry so it takes 4 or 5 of them to clean a bad nappy :( My OH bought 10 packs of them so I don't know what I'm going to do with them!

Does anyone else find the Huggies pure wipes in the new packets absolutely awful. Have they changed the formula or something? We've been using the aldi sensitive ones for the last few months but were caught short on Wednesday and picked up some Huggies ones. 2 days later and my little girl has nappy rash which she never had before. And every second wipe breaks! AND they're almost dry so it takes 4 or 5 of them to clean a bad nappy :( My OH bought 10 packs of them so I don't know what I'm going to do with them!

Omg they are atrocious! I got them in bulk before because they were on special and I couldn't wait for them to run out lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I've always found them crap to be honest, consistency of wet newspaper!

Simple wipes and Aldi Mamia wipes are the two brands I've always found best.

I love the tesco loves baby ones. I actually love that whole range. A box of 12 wipes for 10 euro is the best value I've come across. Love their baby bath and nappy creams too! Big fan lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I've given up Huggies as well. Started using the Tesco ones in the blue pack one day and haven't looked back. Only 95cent a pack I think.

I'm such a Pain in the árse question asker .But does the bugaboo cameleon seat fit into a donkey base does anyone know??cannot find the answer on Google

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Lashes28 wrote:
    See we have a gap, 10 year old, 13month and newborn. We were hoping for a 2/3 year break before getting pregnant again, but like you other forces had different ideas lol. I'm so nervous over how I'll cope, not so much at home but doing school runs and having to get out at a certain time when oh is working . We had a baby that was constantly hungry and never settled in her buggy until very recently. Never had a soother either so wouldn't calm with anything. So I pray for an easier baby!

My 5th baby is just over 9 months, back at the school run and I have to say I'm surprised how smoothly everything is running. The biggest thing for me is having everything ready the night before, lunches made school bags ready and uniforms on the bed.
    My youngest boy just started montessori. There's no uniform but I got him one anyway. Tracksuit and polo shirt, makes life so much easier.
    One week done.. It'll probably all fall to ****e in a few weeks but for the moment I'm very proud of myself :D
    I'm loving having a few hours to myself in the mornings, the baby sleeps for 2-3 hours, so I catch up on housework :D lol no I don't! I just got Netflix in :D
    It mammytime

When your pregnant and your husband arrives home 2 hours earlier than usual there is only one thing on your mind... Impromptu nap! Yassssss!!!! (Don't care that it's sunny. I'm taking this nap opportunity)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I am soooooo friggin excited for Christmas this year. S will be 3 in November so this is going to be our first one where he really, really gets it. Last year he loved it and knew it was fun and exciting but he didn't understand anything about it. Yesterday he saw a picture a Spiderman house online and asked for a better look. He asked where Iceman, Firestar and Spiderwoman were (we love the old cartoons in this house) so I showed him pictures of the figures. He really liked looking at it and told me stories about what all the characters were doing. After a while he told me he wanted it, thought for a moment then suggested he could ask Santa for it. I asked him what about the Batcave he has wanted for ever and was planning to ask Santa for. His face was a picture, he really struggled with the choice but stuck to the Batcave in the end.

The best bit is that I happen to know Santa is bringing them both to him. Oh I just can't wait. :)

I apologise that this is crazy early Christmas talk for sane rational people but I've been working on some Christmas crafts that I have to get done this far in advance and my mind is in a very festive place already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

iguana wrote: »
    I am soooooo friggin excited for Christmas this year. S will be 3 in November so this is going to be our first one where he really, really gets it. Last year he loved it and knew it was fun and exciting but he didn't understand anything about it. Yesterday he saw a picture a Spiderman house online and asked for a better look. He asked where Iceman, Firestar and Spiderwoman were (we love the old cartoons in this house) so I showed him pictures of the figures. He really liked looking at it and told me stories about what all the characters were doing. After a while he told me he wanted it, thought for a moment then suggested he could ask Santa for it. I asked him what about the Batcave he has wanted for ever and was planning to ask Santa for. His face was a picture, he really struggled with the choice but stuck to the Batcave in the end.

The best bit is that I happen to know Santa is bringing them both to him. Oh I just can't wait. :)

I apologise that this is crazy early Christmas talk for sane rational people but I've been working on some Christmas crafts that I have to get done this far in advance and my mind is in a very festive place already.

Awe.... How lovely. I just adore Christmas! Everything about it even the smell. My guy will also be 3 in November so can't wait to start talking about Santa with him :)

Same here....my 2.5 year old keeps saying that Santa is making the requested item as we speak....now to find a child's belt - yep wants a belt like daddy's!

I have all my Santa shopping done! I am a Christmas nut and intend to make my kids the same! I'll have a 3 1/2 year old and a almost 2 year old, it's going to be magical :)

Yep, we have most of our big santa stuff got too. Got a few bits back in June when argos had great deals on toys. Just a trip to ikea to pick up one of their toy kitchens and it'll be stocking fillers after that. Also, I've started making up my present list and browsing for family and friends in the last few days. I order the majority of mine online and I like to have everything ready and wrapped by december so that I can relax and absorb all the festiveness without any stress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Mac0783

First thing in work, reading your post made me smile. I hope you have a lovely Christmas, my baba will be 1 and a half this year and wont properly get it, but I can't wait to see the excited look on her face, when she sees the tree and the lights.

*heads over to the christmas forum to bask in the moment with all the other christmas nuts*

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

It's different for us parents to plan early I think. We are allowed. :) I'm really looking forward to it too this year, he's the perfect age. And I must get cracking on my crafts for it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I just bought his birthday and Christmas presents in the Heatons toy sale (his birthday is in December). We're going to have turkey and ham, mince pies and mulled wine at his party. By party I mean scant gathering of relatives at the house. I'm hilariously excited about it :)

• Advertisement

Mince pies and mulled wine, surely the best things about Christmas? Of course that only applies for those of us no longer visited by the man in the red suit.

What are these Christmas crafts you speak of? What and how are you making??

I used to make decorations and canvases and hampers for family. And I used to pimp out everyday items and make them all christmassy. October and November used to be spent happily glue gunning and glittering and ribboning everything in sight.

Alas, the thought of getting my glue gun out now fills me with dread. I attempted a personalised get well soon card a few months ago and it took me nearly a week to do it. The toddler managed to glue a button to his hair, then he pressed his hand into the handprints inkpad and ran off, destroying the whole sittingroom (and the baby's face) while roaring laughing. I was finding random bits from my craft box around the house for ages :rolleyes: The sick person had been released from hospital and almost recovered by the time they got the card :o So I don't think I'll be crafting this year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I used to make decorations and canvases and hampers for family. And I used to pimp out everyday items and make them all christmassy. October and November used to be spent happily glue gunning and glittering and ribboning everything in sight.

Alas, the thought of getting my glue gun out now fills me with dread. I attempted a personalised get well soon card a few months ago and it took me nearly a week to do it. The toddler managed to glue a button to his hair, then he pressed his hand into the handprints inkpad and ran off, destroying the whole sittingroom (and the baby's face) while roaring laughing. I was finding random bits from my craft box around the house for ages :rolleyes: The sick person had been released from hospital and almost recovered by the time they got the card :o So I don't think I'll be crafting this year :(

I am roaring laughing at that but I wouldn't be too happy if my toddler did it. The mischief they can get up to is unbelievable!!!
    I think Dolbert you are right to be excited and a baby's first birthday is very exciting. To me it was an achievement that we had survived the first year and everything got easier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I can't wait! My lad will only be 11 months but I couldn't care less! Might have to put the tree in the porch to prevent him eating it but I can still decorate high up and with lights in the siting room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I LOVE Christmas! I am not one bit crafty but I made salt-dough foot and hand prints of my little guy last year when he was 4 months. Think I'll do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My 3 yr old has both the Spiderman house & the Batcave ( Dad is a big Marvel/DC fan ), they get played with a lot, your boy is going to love them!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

I thought I was the only one getting excited about Christmas this early. Isn't way more fun when you have kids? My boy will be 3yrs in November and the older he gets the more fun. Although he had a blast at Christmas when 1yr and 2yr! I need to have a word with myself because I want to spoil him rotten :D

My sister in laws boyfriend is dressing up as Santa. He pulled the short straw. It's going to be magical all year around. I'm so tempted to get a train set to go around the tree this year.

Ooooooooooooooh I'd love a train set going round the tree.. hmm where would one get such a thing? Woodies might have then? I know they do the decoration ones but maybe not motorized one? ....heads of to google for a quick search.. :D

I've always been in Christmas mood from August onwards, but having kids means I now spend a lot of time planning everything, I cannot wait to see their faces on Christmas morning, to get them into their Christmas pjs on Christmas Eve, oh it's so cool!!!

But Halloween first :(

Ms2011 wrote: »
    My 3 yr old has both the Spiderman house & the Batcave ( Dad is a big Marvel/DC fan ), they get played with a lot, your boy is going to love them!!!

S is the product of a mixed marriage. I grew up on Marvel, my husband on DC. We couldn't be happier with S's early nerdiness.:D He got a couple of small hero sets at the start of the year and loves them. So in April when I had the chance to buy a huge bundle of Imaginext and Playskool sets I took a gamble on his continued love of them and bought them. He's been obsessing about the Batcave since early summer so I suggested he ask Santa for it and it's been the "Santa Batcave" ever since.
    Mac0783 wrote: »
    What are these Christmas crafts you speak of? What and how are you making??

I've gone a bit crazy and am going super OTT this year. I've written him a pair of books. One about what will be our family December traditions and another about Christmas eve with Santa coming to our city and house. I'm working on the illustrations now, so I have time to get them printed before the end of November. I'm also knitting him a Christmas jumper with Batman, Robin and Batgirl on it. And I'm crocheting him some Christmassy superhero figures to go on the tree. Then during December I'm going to customise some play figures as most female super hero figures either don't exist or are super rare and expensive. So I've been learning how to do custom figures so I can make him the ones that he wants but I can't buy.
    Ooooooooooooooh I'd love a train set going round the tree.. hmm where would one get such a thing? Woodies might have then? I know they do the decoration ones but maybe not motorized one? ....heads of to google for a quick search.. :D

Homestore and More usually have them from November. I'm tempted to get one this year as I'm hoping I can convince him not to mangle it.:)

I've gone a bit crazy and am going super OTT this year. I've written him a pair of books. One about what will be our family December traditions and another about Christmas eve with Santa coming to our city and house. I'm working on the illustrations now, so I have time to get them printed before the end of November. I'm also knitting him a Christmas jumper with Batman, Robin and Batgirl on it. And I'm crocheting him some Christmassy superhero figures to go on the tree. Then during December I'm going to customise some play figures as most female super hero figures either don't exist or are super rare and expensive. So I've been learning how to do custom figures so I can make him the ones that he wants but I can't buy.

Wow you are obviously super good at art and crafts. My artistic ability ends at stickmen. Will you post some pics of your figures when done? They sounds super cool, homestore and more will definitely look there thanks.

• Advertisement

Wow you are obviously super good at art and crafts. My artistic ability ends at stickmen. Will you post some pics of your figures when done? They sounds super cool, homestore and more will definitely look there thanks.

I'm not particularly good. Most of the book illustrations will be done with photographs and photoshop art effects.:D Hopefully I'll be able to pull off the figures. Many, many, many years ago I had a boyfriend who played RPGs and I used to paint a lot of his figures. The ones S play with are bigger than those figures, so hopefully it will be like riding a bicycle.:)

Dear Iguana,

Please stop putting me to shame,

Yours,

An unartistic mammy :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

bp wrote: »
    Dear Iguana,

Please stop putting me to shame,

Yours,

An unartistic mammy :-)

+1 on this. I'm totally unartistic and I have no creative imagination whatsoever

It's ok. My house is perpetually covered in dog hairs as I'm way too lazy for both crafting and housework. :o

Aw jeez, I just thought about it and it's 20 years since I had the RPG playing boyfriend. I am sooooo old. :(

It's ok. My house is perpetually covered in dog hairs as I'm way too lazy for both crafting and housework. :o

Aw jeez, I just thought about it and it's 20 years since I had the RPG playing boyfriend. I am sooooo old. :(

I want you as my mammy :D love all the stuff you're doing! :)

Let me know if you find out :) I might rob his granddads one :P I need to go to an old fashioned sort of Christmas shop and get one. I wonder how expensive they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Am I the only person in here that couldn't give a frig about Xmas? (And... BTW....ITS ONLY SEPTEMBER!!!) If it wasn't for the Kiddo's I think I'd scrap it altogether. I'll go along with it all for appearances sake, but really I couldn't be arsed. And I'm quare bemused by all the glitter sticking. Guess I didn't get that handbook when I was preggo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Love xmas too! All my sons gifts are bought and in granny's attic already. We have a giant xmas lego set that we set up every year. We also have train that lego santa goes around the town on, filled with lego pressies.

I'm starting my xmas craft too! Making wreaths. Large ones for family and mini tree decoration size for the creche staff and some friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Just wondering what did everyone else switch from sleeping bag to duvet for their toddlers? I love the sleeping bags, they're so handy but he's tall and I'm finding it impossible to get one to fit him. Just spotted that aldi have a cot bed duvet set in their baby event and am sorely tempted. The flyer says they are 4 tog. Is this super watm? Our house tends to get a little chilly at night.

• Advertisement
Advertisement