Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Just wondering what did everyone else switch from sleeping bag to duvet for their toddlers? I love the sleeping bags, they're so handy but he's tall and I'm finding it impossible to get one to fit him. Just spotted that aldi have a cot bed duvet set in their baby event and am sorely tempted. The flyer says they are 4 tog. Is this super watm? Our house tends to get a little chilly at night.

I think we did at about 12 months! Our son who is 3 in Nov, is super tall for his age. Couldn't get one to fit him. He sleeps with a toddler duvet set, think we got it in Aldi a few years ago :D It's a 4 tog, which is prefect. It's quite light but his room is warm plus he still sleeps with two of his cellular blankets from birth. It's his comfort. If he gets too warm, he just push off duvet. That's the great thing about Duvets, they can self regulate their own temperature. I have to say though when he first got it, I checked on him a good bit, to make sure he wasn't too warm/ haven't got it over his face :) we have a camera in his room also. I'm a worrier.

How old is your little one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Just wondering what did everyone else switch from sleeping bag to duvet for their toddlers? I love the sleeping bags, they're so handy but he's tall and I'm finding it impossible to get one to fit him. Just spotted that aldi have a cot bed duvet set in their baby event and am sorely tempted. The flyer says they are 4 tog. Is this super watm? Our house tends to get a little chilly at night.

I'm wondering this also. My big 2y9m old is still in a 18-36 month gro bag and I'm scared to take him out of it as he sleeps so well!... His feet are nearly putting holes in the bottom of it.

However, if you want to keep her in a Grobag this brand makes ones for toddler and children up to 10yo! I've never tried them but think I could be tempted in the the next couple weeks. They sometimes have good clearance prices to.

http://www.slumbersac.ie/category-toddlerbags.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I'm wondering this also. My big 2y9m old is still in a 18-36 month gro bag and I'm scared to take him out of it as he sleeps so well!... His feet are nearly putting holes in the bottom of it.

However, if you want to keep her in a Grobag this brand makes ones for toddler and children up to 10yo! I've never tried them but think I could be tempted in the the next couple weeks. They sometimes have good clearance prices to.

http://www.slumbersac.ie/category-toddlerbags.html
    I have heard of people putting holes in the bottoms of gro-bags, it's especially handy for children who like to get out of bed, or who are toilet trained so want to get out. They have the cosiness of the grobag, but mobility too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I have heard of people putting holes in the bottoms of gro-bags, it's especially handy for children who like to get out of bed, or who are toilet trained so want to get out. They have the cosiness of the grobag, but mobility too!

I must have the only child who refused to sleep in a grobag :(
    Mine is 21 months but he's been using a normal duvet for quite some time now.
    A grobag would have been better as he kicks the duvet off all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I must have the only child who refused to sleep in a grobag :(
    Mine is 21 months but he's been using a normal duvet for quite some time now.
    A grobag would have been better as he kicks the duvet off all the time
    Mine slept in a grobag for ages but he got out of the habit because it's too hot in the summer to sleep in anything really. He won't sleep in one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Mine slept in a grobag for ages but he got out of the habit because it's too hot in the summer to sleep in anything really. He won't sleep in one now.

My daughter was the same. At 18 months I stopped using the grobag as it was way too hot and she used to sleep in just a nappy. After the summer she refused to go back into one so I started using a duvet. She loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Does anyone else dress their babies/toddlers up for halloween? I dressed my small fella up last year, he was 10 months at the time and I had a great time taking photos of him but with 2 children this year I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. I love halloween myself and we probably will do some halloweeny crafts/games and (I will) gorge on sweets but dressing up just seems like a lot of bother this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Does anyone else dress their babies/toddlers up for halloween? I dressed my small fella up last year, he was 10 months at the time and I had a great time taking photos of him but with 2 children this year I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. I love halloween myself and we probably will do some halloweeny crafts/games and (I will) gorge on sweets but dressing up just seems like a lot of bother this year.

I'm a Christmas person but always do Halloween for the kids. Last year I had a little party for my 2 year old and her friends, dress up and face painting.

Then, together with the 8 month old we all went trick or treating - just to the houses either side and across the road. Neither of them really got it but loved dressing up, they were in their costumes all day, which are now dress up clothes

I hadn't even thought of a party, it's a great idea! There are a few toddlers in the family at the moment so I should be able to drum up a crowd :) There are some fab halloween game ideas for smallies on pinterest. There doesn't seem to be much trick or treating around where I live though, last year I had loads of sweets ready and nobody called :(

• Advertisement

lol. My guy has a fit if theres anything different about his gro bag. He started roaring the other night... I thought someone was strangling him... and when I rush in he told me his zip wasnt done right up to the top!!! I can only imagine what he would do if I cut holes in it! hahahaha :pac:.

Great idea tho if the child isnt as OCD as mine :o

I dressed my 2 up last year. L was about 7 months and T was nearly 2. But the only reason I dressed her was because I had Ts costume from the previous year (when he was 11 months). If I hadnt had the costume from the previous year I wouldnt have bothered getting one for her tbh. But they did look really cute dressed up :). Going to dress them both up again this year :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

For S's first halloween, he was nearly 1 and we went to a party at the Parent and Baby Centre. I don't know if you have ever been there, but it's a lovely place for babies and toddlers on Ballysimon Rd. I knit him a Jayne hat, from Firefly and made him a rainstick. He hadn't a clue what was going on but had fun and the pictures are adorable. Last year he had a tummy bug and was vomiting through the holiday itself but the weekend before we went to the halloween carnival in Arthurs Quay which wasn't great but I'm glad we went seeing as how it was all we got to do. He dressed in his dino outfit and I got a few nice pictures. We'll probably go again if it's back this year but we'll go later in the day and hopefully there'll be more atmosphere.

This year the plan is to go trick or treating. He'll probably dress as the Hulk and my husband will be Red Hulk. We have a big dress up selection as I'm always buying dress up stuff when I find it. I plan to out go early, around 5 or 6 as it will be pretty dark by then and then go home for games and to hand things out to the trick or treaters. We probably won't get many as we don't live in an estate but I'll say it to the kids who live near us that they should call in if they are out. And we just bought a huge bag of halloween decorations, so I'll have the porch all lit up so we might get some passersby. And hopefully a couple of our toddler groups will have some sort of holiday themed party too. I'm so looking forward to it. Halloween is my second favourite holiday.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

My son was 6 months old on his first Halloween & we dressed him up as Superman, cape & little curls in the middle of the forehead the works :D
    This year he's 3.5 & he's dressing up as a zombie which was inspired by going to Comicon last month with his Dad & seeing characters from The Walking Dead. Normally I buy the costumes but I've had great fun making his costume this year.
    My daughter will be 6 months old & I'm dressing her as a teddy bear, her costume is like a onesie with a hood so she'll be nice & snug just colour her nose in black & she'll be sorted :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Yep dressing both up this year :-) love doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'm beyond excited at the prospect of the little man's Halloween costume, anyone seen any good uns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

For the first year we had a bunny costume, last year she was a witch and this year will be Cinderella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Some nice ones in Tk Maxx

I'm looking at dunnes and costume shop, 3 year old can't decide what she wants to be! Cat, tinkerbell, monster . . . Etc!

I'm thinking something cute for the, then, 20 month old, she's crazy about dogs and I've seen a really cute dog one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

My 10 year old has decided that this year he's dressing up as Gru and we are dressing the 9 month old as a minion,cannot wait

Lashes28 wrote: »
    My 10 year old has decided that this year he's dressing up as Gru and we are dressing the 9 month old as a minion,cannot wait

Up til last week she was going to be a minion, the toddler a purple minion and daddy gru!

• Advertisement

I've sent out party invitations on facebook so I can't back out now :eek: Spent all of last night on pinterest pinning party decoration and game ideas. Lots of great things like sensory bags with squishy eyeballs etc for smaller kids :D

Iguana I was tempted to head into the Arthurs Quay carnival last year but then decided against it because I knew my little fella wouldn't have a notion what was going on and I'd be trying to maneouver the buggy through the crowds and I was pregnant and hormonal too Will definitely head in this year if it's on.

Last year, I just bought a few babygro outfits in tesco as my boy was only 8 months old. I'm into photography so I made a little halloweeny backdrop and all and had a great time taking photos :)

I'm hoping this year I might make the costumes myself as I always made my own ones but it's all depending on time and patience. I'm thinking a little cat outfit for the baby but no idea what to dress the toddler as yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I just reserved my Santa toys with Agos 3 for 2. Great value. The excitement and she's only 1. I won't be able to contain myself in a few years time!

I just reserved my Santa toys with Agos 3 for 2. Great value. The excitement and she's only 1. I won't be able to contain myself in a few years time!

Mine are ordered too :-)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I will be dressingr my 17 month old. I cant wait.

last year he went as a hell's angel, this year he is going as a lion

I love the hells angel idea! (we recently finished watching Sons Of Anarchy and I'm still missing it :o ) I wanted to dress him as Dave Grohl last year but I couldn't find a wig that would fit him :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We had S's immunology appt yest: I should literally have taken my €200 and burnt it. I would have felt better after it. Anyway the upshot is despite not examining her, doing no tests and dismissing everything we said it is apparently perfectly normal for a child to have 52 GP visits, 10 hospitilisations, numerous paed and ENT visits, a different illness every week, blood in her urine despite no infection, to collapse 3 times, numerous antibiotics both oral and iv, repeated thrush and to run a temperature for 6 months (although he did ask if anyone aside from us had seen that. No because I made it up obviously) all in 18 months. Perfectly normal. Here is where I would insert the rolly eyed smily if I knew how to from my phone! Oh and first thing he said was if he was us he would have cancelled the appt with him when we had the infectious disease appt next week. Oh and no she has no allergies but he did ask. A few times.

In Crumlin next week. Can't be worse I guess!

cyning wrote: »
    We had S's immunology appt yest: I should literally have taken my €200 and burnt it. I would have felt better after it. Anyway the upshot is despite not examining her, doing no tests and dismissing everything we said it is apparently perfectly normal for a child to have 52 GP visits, 10 hospitilisations, numerous paed and ENT visits, a different illness every week, blood in her urine despite no infection, to collapse 3 times, numerous antibiotics both oral and iv, repeated thrush and to run a temperature for 6 months (although he did ask if anyone aside from us had seen that. No because I made it up obviously) all in 18 months. Perfectly normal. Here is where I would insert the rolly eyed smily if I knew how to from my phone! Oh and first thing he said was if he was us he would have cancelled the appt with him when we had the infectious disease appt next week. Oh and no she has no allergies but he did ask. A few times.

Cyning, sorry to hear that, I hate consultants like that who seem to believe you are paying for the pleasure of their time! What a muppet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Cyning, you need to send a letter of complaint to the hospital clinical director. That is appalling. We had a similar experience with a very well known paediatric respiratory consultant who clearly cannot abide children. I wrote to the clinical director of the hospital and received a phone call acknowledging my letter. I'm under no illusion that my single letter will make a difference but if other people do similar, it might. At the very least it will undermine them in front off their peers. I think you have been to hell and back with your little one and to have everything dismissed with such little thought is just despicable. Please do consider sending that letter.

Ah cyning, that is awful :-(

Keep pushing and fighting your corner

Really sorry to hear that Cyning! Really hope things go a bit better in Crumlin next week and you get some sort of explanation :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My little fella has his first cold since starting creche 3 weeks ago so he's feeling a little under the weather. Upside is I'm getting cuddles! Snotty teary cuddles but it's better than the usual none!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

That's not good enough. There is obviously a problem and if that's considered normal my children are clearly abnormal or maybe I'm not taking them to my gp as much as I should be... I'll start now considering it's free :-P ridiculous carry on. I'm mad for you so I can't imagine how fed up you must be feeling!

That's not good enough. There is obviously a problem and if that's considered normal my children are clearly abnormal or maybe I'm not taking them to my gp as much as I should be... I'll start now considering it's free :-P ridiculous carry on. I'm mad for you so I can't imagine how fed up you must be feeling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Best fun ever is using the voice recognition search function on Google on my tablet to see how it interprets my almost 2 year olds gobbledy gook. So far we have looked up "girls", "hydrogen", "how do you say Adele?" and "sick". Cat and Daddy are also common searches.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

My toddler has had loose nappies since Wednesday. I didn't bring her to the doc because she wasn't off her food, had no temperature and was generally in good form. She ran home from creche on Friday and has played with me all day. Can they get diarrhoea n be fine? She complains of sore tummy right before she goes.. so it's most likely a cramp. I thought it'd be gone by now. I'm not looking for medical advice, just wondering has anyone experienced this? Because she has a lot of energy and doesn't seem sick, I'm more confused than if she was being 'off'...

Makapakka wrote: »
    My toddler has had loose nappies since Wednesday. I didn't bring her to the doc because she wasn't off her food, had no temperature and was generally in good form. She ran home from creche on Friday and has played with me all day. Can they get diarrhoea n be fine? She complains of sore tummy right before she goes.. so it's most likely a cramp. I thought it'd be gone by now. I'm not looking for medical advice, just wondering has anyone experienced this? Because she has a lot of energy and doesn't seem sick, I'm more confused than if she was being 'off'...

We had 2 months of diarrhoea nappies, caused by ear infection/antibiotics. At least once a day a bath was required to clean. We just ensured she had plenty to drink, wasn't lacking in anything and it passed

We'd still periodically get diarrhoea here, they are always in good mood.

Makapakka wrote: »

My son went through about a year of these episodes. Seemed to be very mild tummy bugs that didn't effect his mood at all after he started Playschool. Stopped after a while and he has one tummy since that was soooo bad and wiped him out for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

My son went through about a year of these episodes. Seemed to be very mild tummy bugs that didn't effect his mood at all after he started Playschool. Stopped after a while and he has one tummy since that was soooo bad and wiped him out for a week.

Thanks for the responses. I am getting the fluids into her and giving her plain foods. If it's not gone by Monday, I'll visit the gp then

Hi everyone, hope everyone is doing OK ! Hyperemesis still kicking my ass here so my parenting is a bit slack these days! Drawing on walls and general messing with water and muck is being overlooked on daily basis lol I'm sure the lawlessness is good for them in some way! It must be my baby brain but I have completely forgotten how often I should see my gp with combined care. I'm 16 weeks and I've seen my gp once and have had my booking appointment. I feel like I had more than 2 visits in first 16 weeks of my other pregnancies but I'm not sure lol

• Advertisement

I definitely had 16 week gp appointments with combined care :)

I definitely had 16 week gp appointments with combined care :)

Yes just spoke to my sister who works in the field and she told me I need a16 week. Funnily enough any of the schedules I found online had no mention of 16 week go visit

From what I remember, the doc your currently at usually reminds you at the end of the appointment when and where to go next. So at the 12 week hospital one, they should have told you to return to gp at 16 weeks etc. I also think I got a schedule from my gp at one stage..

From what I remember, the doc your currently at usually reminds you at the end of the appointment when and where to go next. So at the 12 week hospital one, they should have told you to return to gp at 16 weeks etc. I also think I got a schedule from my gp at one stage..

They never actually said. They must have assumed I'd know with this being number3 but they clearly don't know me lol scatter brain

They never actually said. They must have assumed I'd know with this being number3 but they clearly don't know me lol scatter brain

Maybe they were just being more helpful cos it was my first lol!

Maybe they were just being more helpful cos it was my first lol!

Lol I'm lucky to have my sister. She is social worker in a maternity hospital so part of her job is to make sure clients stick to appointments . its amazing how much you forget when it comes to having another baby. Feel like I'm starting from scratch again and my daughter is only 2 lol

• Advertisement

My doctor always wrote my next appointment date on that white card thingy that you get. Problem was, half the time, I forgot to bring the card with me or else left it behind in the surgery or maternity. Every so often, I would get an ominous looking envelope in the post and when I'd open it, the card would be inside :pac:

Mac0783 wrote: »
    Will you post some pics of your figures when done? They sounds super cool, homestore and more will definitely look there thanks.

This is the first one. It's a Supergirl, made to look like the Supergirl from the 90s cartoon (as we watch that together sometimes). The first pic is what the figure was like (a Marvel Gwen Stacy figure), the second is repainted as Supergirl and the version of Supergirl she is meant to be.

Picture_6.png
    post image online

Poor S broke his leg on Friday evening and is now in a cast from thigh to toe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Ms2011

iguana wrote: »

OMG, hope he's ok, poor little man :(

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

iguana wrote: »

Oh no! The poor little guy :( Wishing him a speedy recovery

• Advertisement
Advertisement