Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

iguana wrote: »
    Poor S broke his leg on Friday evening and is now in a cast from thigh to toe.

Oh no iguana the poor little thing... Hope he's going ok. How's he managing with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

He's become an expert at commando crawling so I'm currently on here taking a quick break before steam cleaning my floors. He only has 3 pairs of pants that fit over the cast and just going from the sitting room to the kitchen leaves them needing a wash. I'm strongly considering getting the dogs groomed to a tight shave too as I can't stay on top of their hair especially as S is being a bit clingy and freaks out if I leave him to hoover.

The worst part is that he'll be in the cast for Halloween, his birthday, our surprise visit to Disney on Ice and very possibly a friend's birthday party that's been held in a softplay centre. Though thankfully he should be well recovered before Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Aw the poor little fella iguana :( Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Anybody have rips for getting a 10 month old to go to sleep in their cot and stay there?

Also baby cpt has decided that sleeping on his tummy is the new hot thing to do. My wife is scared that he will suffocate. Is it normal for babies to do this. Can you get breathable pillow so if he did and we didn't spot it that he would breath away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Once they can roll themselves, it's fine to leave them on their tummy. Just put them down on their back every time, but if they do roll over, leave them be. I wouldn't bother with any kind of pillow, best to leave the cot as empty as possible until at least a year old!

Once they can roll themselves, it's fine to leave them on their tummy. Just put them down on their back every time, but if they do roll over, leave them be. I wouldn't bother with any kind of pillow, best to leave the cot as empty as possible until at least a year old!

Grand job. Cab sleep a bit better now , when he sleeps that is. Will keep the cot free of stuff a while longer so . Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

CptMackey wrote: »
    Grand job. Cab sleep a bit better now , when he sleeps that is. Will keep the cot free of stuff a while longer so . Thanks

My daughter started sleeping through when she started sleeping on her tummy.

My daughter started sleeping through when she started sleeping on her tummy.

Maybe that's were we are going wrong. We are paranoid about it really. We have angel care and we were grand till he started rolling. Will have to calm down and leave the poor baby alone

Well I don't love it but she's crawling and standing and completely mobile so I think he's ok. We are just so conditioned to think it's bad it's hard to get your head around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My lads rolling and his favourite sleeping position is with his face in the mattress and his knees tucked up. He looks hilarious! He's 9 months now and you just can't stop him rolling

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My lads rolling and his favourite sleeping position is with his face in the mattress and his knees tucked up. He looks hilarious! He's 9 months now and you just can't stop him rolling

Ah the bum in the air position! Always used to give me a giggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

My six month old will only sleep on their tummy.....I have given up fighting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭ainy

actually saw one of those 'baby sleep experts' who has a book out, she was on Ireland am the other day and she said that once the baby goes to that position, it means they are cold, now my girl never goes to that position so can't really say if its true! just thought i'd pass on her piece of info, you can take it with a pinch of salt like I do with most 'expert' opinions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

My boy often sleeps in that position, but he's always roasting lol! Still in shorts and ts shirt type pjs and no duvet at the mo. He just kicks it all off.

When he was very small he used to like sleeping on his tummy, so we got the cleva mamma sleep positioned pillow so he could sleep on his side. But we took it out and left him to it once he could lift and turn his head by himself and roll over.

Makes sense though as you curl up in a ball when you are cold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

She also sells blankets so I'd be a bit dubious of her claims re coldness!

If that was Tizzy Hall you are talking about discount anything she says. That woman is a disgrace and no more an expert than I am. She advocates 10 layers of blankets on a newborn and 16 layers on a 4 month old! Dangerous dangerous advice. She also caused controversy talking about swaddling in a car seat!

If that was Tizzy Hall you are talking about discount anything she says. That woman is a disgrace and no more an expert than I am. She advocates 10 layers of blankets on a newborn and 16 layers on a 4 month old! Dangerous dangerous advice. She also caused controversy talking about swaddling in a car seat!

think that was her name, as I said I take all these 'experts' opinions with a pinch of salt! it was just something she said that kinda made sense so thought i'd share!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

ainy wrote: »
    actually saw one of those 'baby sleep experts' who has a book out, she was on Ireland am the other day and she said that once the baby goes to that position, it means they are cold, now my girl never goes to that position so can't really say if its true! just thought i'd pass on her piece of info, you can take it with a pinch of salt like I do with most 'expert' opinions!

Yeah given he started it while sick and running a temperature it probably isn't quite right for my lad at least :)

Yeah given he started it while sick and running a temperature it probably isn't quite right for my lad at least

well actually when you have a temperature you actually feel cold in yourself if you know what I mean but hot to touch so it might hold a tiny bit of truth!
    anyway enough with the serious conversation, this is suppose to be an off topic thread!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

ainy wrote: »
    well actually when you have a temperature you actually feel cold in yourself if you know what I mean but hot to touch so it might hold a tiny bit of truth!
    anyway enough with the serious conversation, this is suppose to be an off topic thread!!

Yeah everyone here freezing with temps including myself!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

My oh is taking our 5 month old off for the day and I'm going for treatments and afternoon tea with my mam and sis. Actually cannot wait for the break :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

ChewChew wrote: »
    My oh is taking our 5 month old off for the day and I'm going for treatments and afternoon tea with my mam and sis. Actually cannot wait for the break :D

Enjoy! I had my first 2 nights away recently, it was my first night out in almost 4 years where I had no little people to mind the day after so I had a night out and a full day after to recover, it was heaven!!!

ChewChew wrote:
    My oh is taking our 5 month old off for the day and I'm going for treatments and afternoon tea with my mam and sis. Actually cannot wait for the break

sounds lovely, enjoy!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Oh thanks! I'm living for it. I'm even trying to persuade himself to stay away tomorrow overnight but it's not working :D

Speaking of blankets, I asked on here recently about getting a cot bed duvet for my toddler. By the time I decided to get it they were all sold out in aldi :( Where is the cheapest place to buy them? I've seen some for around €15 but the cover sets are ridiculous, €30 is the cheapest I've seen them :eek:

• Advertisement

I got mine in ikea, tenner for duvet and tenner for sheets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Baby either has the chicken pox or hand foot and mouth. I can't seem to tell the difference :/ he's crabby, restless. Not itchy though!

January wrote: »
    Baby either has the chicken pox or hand foot and mouth. I can't seem to tell the difference :/ he's crabby, restless. Not itchy though!
    Hand foot and mouth, then, I'd say.
    The itch is awful with chickenpox.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Toilet training little miss here.. Went whole day yesterday without nappies, same again today, just have pants and trousers on her. She has wet herself every time which I am expecting but what can I do to encourage her or explain to her she has to use the potty? I feel utterly clueless !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Makapakka wrote: »
    Toilet training little miss here.. Went whole day yesterday without nappies, same again today, just have pants and trousers on her. She has wet herself every time which I am expecting but what can I do to encourage her or explain to her she has to use the potty? I feel utterly clueless !!

I've no idea if it's the 'right' way but how we did it was for the first day is being her to sit on the toilet every 15 mins (painful!), I had my phone timer set. I'd sit her on the toilet and even for sitting on the toilet she'd get a star on a chart. Obviously sometimes she'd go and other times wouldn't have any. Then as the days went on I cut back to maybe every half hour, hour etc, until we'd just let her tell us. When she got a full line of stars on the chart she'd get a prize-something small like a little book, pencil etc. the first few days I used loads of prizes cause we we're putting her on the toilet so much, but after that she'd get one every few days.

It worked for us and after day one she had no accidents, and I think two years later has had maybe 2/3 max! Although I suspect that might have been down to the child herself-I don't expect half the success with her brother :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Same here and I was about to give up and then it just clicked on day four.

Don't scold accidents (hard I know) and encourage success. We are still working on poo's but only has a wee accident now when excited e.g. a friend comes to visit

I haven't been scolding, just saying it's ok and to go in the potty next time. I know the cues of a poo and I caught it, she did it in the potty and I praised her, she was thrilled with herself! So next few minutes she sat on it herself again and went for a wee! We've had two more successful wees and one more accident! Beaming with pride and so is she :D

Not scolding per say but more I would find myself being exasperated as I would just have asked/ put them on it, they would get off and wee two seconds later!!

Yeah go child :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Mac0783

What age are you starting potty training at? LO is 17 months, so I know to young yet, I was half thinking of trying her in January she'll be 20 months, is that still to young? New baba due in April...

bp wrote: »
    Not scolding per say but more I would find myself being exasperated as I would just have asked/ put them on it, they would get off and wee two seconds later!!

Yeah go child :)

Ah yeah I know, I am the same, but we've only been at it two days. It's more internal that I can't just give up n go back to the handiness of nappies. We could well have another day of accidents today but yesterday has given me encouragement!

She's 27 months, I tried just after her second birthday but neither of us were ready

Mac0783 wrote: »
    What age are you starting potty training at? LO is 17 months, so I know to young yet, I was half thinking of trying her in January she'll be 20 months, is that still to young? New baba due in April...

My fella is 20 months and nowhere near ready but I'd say it depends on the child. Is she good to talk? Is she aware when she is going etc?

She's not a great talker but her words have come on a lot in the last three weeks or so but she understands everything and can follow simple instructions etc.. I know 20 months will be young but thought it'd be great to have her out of nappies before the next baba comes - might be a tad over optimistic I think.. :o

My boy is almost 20 mths. He has started doing power wees. Some nappies are dry when I change him, others are leaking after an hour. It's a sign that they are learning to hold the wee. He has no real words yet though he very smart and can follow instructions.

I think he'll be well beyond 2 yrs when he trains though. No indications of him knowing when he's pooping yet, doesn't go to a corner and hide etc.

My doctor told me you only need to start toilet training when they can walk up the stairs unaided, the same muscles needed for that are needed for sphincter control. So if they don't have those muscles developed yet, you'll be wasting your time! :)

that's a good tip. well she can walk up the stairs holding on to the bannister as she goes, does that count?

• Advertisement

that's a good tip. well she can walk up the stairs holding on to the bannister as she goes, does that count?
    I think so. Well that's what we decided with my son! (He's 3.5 now, has been toilet trained night and day since he was 3, hasn't had an accident in months and months so it worked for us!)

I think it's recommend not to toilet train 3 months either side of a major event in the child's life, so new baby would definitely be that! Even if you succeed in january they likelihood of regression when the baby arrives is huge, would can be very upsetting for everyone.

I tried to toilet train my first at 26 months, even though she got the idea she just wasnt ready, so we left it. Tried again at 30 months and we were trained within 3 days.

My second is 2 in February and I'm going to try in April/May when she's 26/27 months, she's very familiar with the toilet as she follows her sisters everywhere and has used the potty a few times. If she's not ready we'll try again shortly afterwards

As someone who tried to train before the child was ready I would recommend waiting as it was so stressful the first time but so easy the second

Does a 9 month old still need to be put down for tummy time? My little girl never minded it but since she started sitting unaided a few months back she has become more reluctant to be down on her front, partly because she has learned to scoot around on her bum and it's easier for her to move like that than when she's on her tummy. Do I need to keep putting her down or is she past the stage where she needs it?

It might encourage her to crawl. Although I know doctors akin bum shuffling to crawling for check ups etc.

Bum shufflers tend to be late walkers also

My 3 year old have decided it's time to drop her nap, fine, but why do I have to deal with the screaming tantrums every afternoon :(

Does anyone have any experience with this . . . My two year old has started squinting a lot, squeezing her eyes and blinking a lot.. Should I bring her to the opticians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

My little guy now tells me when he is in the middle of his number 2! No cues for the number 1s though. Not going to start training yet but I will just introduce the concept of a potty?? No clue really on how to toilet train!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Wow he's so advanced, my boy's the same age and wouldn't be anywhere near that stage yet! I guess no harm getting a potty and seeing if he's curious about it? Get him used to the idea!

Does he have many words yet? My son has very few for his age, I'm hoping his PHN check-up appointment arrives soon so we can discuss it. I'm not overly concerned as he's well able to understand and interact, and can make the sounds, but I would really like to see him using more words and starting to string them together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Wow he's so advanced, my boy's the same age and wouldn't be anywhere near that stage yet! I guess no harm getting a potty and seeing if he's curious about it? Get him used to the idea!

Does he have many words yet? My son has very few for his age, I'm hoping his PHN check-up appointment arrives soon so we can discuss it. I'm not overly concerned as he's well able to understand and interact, and can make the sounds, but I would really like to see him using more words and starting to string them together.

Diamond doll I think he picks up soooo much from the dogs!!!! Lol lol "dirty poo poo" is a regular phrase in this house:D he shouts "get down" too when they try to counter surf!!
    We always say he walked at 10 months because he wanted to terrorise them!!! He understands the concept of wet as when he pours the dogs' water bowl on himself he will shout "wet". When we were in Spain he used to try and pull his nappy off in the morning.

We had that check up at end of August/start of September and refused to talk to for the phn!! He has a good lot of words...no idea how many..must count them. he isn't great at pronouncing "l" they come out like "m"!
    Tbh I wouldn't worry about the speech I think it comes. I bet your guy will just take off with his talking. My niece is unreal at talking...like counting to 40 at 2:eek: but took ages to walk (16 months).

I bought a lovely book called "words" (you can get it in symths and easons) and we read it every night.

We are in the phase of everything is "no" at the mo :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Makapakka wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with this . . . My two year old has started squinting a lot, squeezing her eyes and blinking a lot.. Should I bring her to the opticians?

My two year old has been doing that the last couple of months. I was at the doc so got him to look. It's more like a forced long blink if that make sense. He doesn't seem to squint trying to see things. It gets worse when he's tired I think. Doc said he didn't think it would be anything to worry about but has put him on the list with the public eye clinic for a test in case. He said he's too young for an optician to be able to test him. He just rang the public health nurse and she can refer for the eye list then. That was only last week so I've no idea how long the wait is! The doc said to give it until after Christmas and if I hadn't heard and the blinking isn't better that we might think about going to a private appointment because we have insurance. But he said he didn't think it was anything to be worried over anyway.

Advertisement